PDA

View Full Version : Cuts without a calorie deficit?

Hybrid7
05-20-10, 11:41 am
Yea I know, most of you will call me a dumbass and say it's a stupid question but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Will cuts benefit in any way when just eating on your maintenance level?

With a clean diet, is it seriously possible to shed water under the skin when not on a calorie deficit?

C.Coronato
05-20-10, 11:44 am
It is very possible to shed the water under your skin while on cuts, as it does have a diuretic in it. The thing is, unless your BF is very low, shedding any water is not going to be very visible, itll simply make the scale move.

Beowulf
05-20-10, 11:46 am
Yea I know, most of you will call me a dumbass and say it's a stupid question but I'm gonna ask it anyway. Will cuts benefit in any way when just eating on your maintenance level?

With a clean diet, is it seriously possible to shed water under the skin when not on a calorie deficit?

I tend to think answers have greater potential for stupidity than than questions. That said, you're not looking to lose weight/bodyfat, just water weight? If so, why? What is the end game here?

Hybrid7
05-20-10, 11:50 am
Ok so it will work while eating on your maintenance level just not going to see much unless you have a low body fat level?

So what about someone in my particular case, coming off a bulk, unfortunate to have been heavy as a child and teen years and have body fat really only on my gut but solid shoulders, arms and legs (yea I know, a real site lol) but veins are finally starting to pop in my arms and shoulders. Will taking cuts do anything to my arms and shoulders as far as produce a more cut look or just concentrate on the water in the higher body fat areas of my body and not benefit the areas I want to reveal more? Does that make sense?

C.Coronato
05-20-10, 11:51 am
Ok so it will work while eating on your maintenance level just not going to see much unless you have a low body fat level?

So what about someone in my particular case, coming off a bulk, unfortunate to have been heavy as a child and teen years and have body fat really only on my gut but solid shoulders, arms and legs (yea I know, a real site lol) but veins are finally starting to pop in my arms and shoulders. Will taking cuts do anything to my arms and shoulders as far as produce a more cut look or just concentrate on the water in the higher body fat areas of my body and not benefit the areas I want to reveal more? Does that make sense?

Why dont you want to work below maintenance? Producing a cut look will come from dieting and doing cardio .. With out doing both, Cuts wont do much either.

Beowulf
05-20-10, 11:53 am
Why dont you want to work below maintenance? Producing a cut look will come from dieting and doing cardio .. With out doing both, Cuts wont do much either.

With emphasis on the bolded portion.

Hybrid7
05-20-10, 12:01 pm
Got it, so I guess the answer is pretty clear already without getting tons of posts back. For someone like me, 32, in law enforcement, not a competitive body builder nor plan to be, and just want to look good at the pool and have crazy strength...cuts won't do much unless I do the whole bulk/cut cycles... Does that sound right?

I'm basically stocky with huge muscles lol, but low body fat on arms and shoulders that I want to reveal more. DIET is in check for years since I lost like 70 lbs and I was just trying to see if trying cuts will do anything to the arms and shoulders without eating in a deficit. Or perhaps a small deficit is possible but I'm not into the whole eat, eat, eat all winter, and shed all summer, just not possible for me with my career

LegendKillerJosh
05-20-10, 12:07 pm
I would say if you continue to eat the same amount of calories you are now, and add cuts which speeds up your metabolism, you will burn more calories and lose weight.

Hybrid7
05-20-10, 12:09 pm
Lose weight as in water in muscles, water under skin and fat - or just water under skin like cuts promises?

Hybrid7
05-20-10, 12:13 pm
What about dropping the pump and sacrificing some strength for the summer, would that be enough to give a more edgy look along with proper diet or just shrink muscle size?

Mr. Dead
05-20-10, 12:17 pm
You could adjust your macros, yet keep calories, the same... Like lower carbs, and increase protein, yet keep the same calorie level...

Hybrid7
05-20-10, 12:37 pm
That will work too? Yesterday I took in 4100 cal, 9% fat, 55% carbs and 36% protein, I guess I consider that a bulk, should I almost reverse the carbs and protein amount?

C.Coronato
05-20-10, 1:17 pm
That will work too? Yesterday I took in 4100 cal, 9% fat, 55% carbs and 36% protein, I guess I consider that a bulk, should I almost reverse the carbs and protein amount?

4100 cals is your maintenance?? How much do you weigh?

Mr. Dead
05-20-10, 1:21 pm

And age...??? As, teenagers can get away with a bit more... *LOL*

Aggression
05-20-10, 1:28 pm
All supplements only work when combined with a solid diet and training geared towards a particular goal. Eating a maintenance diet while taking Cuts won't do much for you. As TTL said, the only thing that you'll see/feel is the thermogenic effect and maybe the results of the diuretic, but only on the scale, not so much in the mirror.

Animal Rep
05-20-10, 1:37 pm
Diet > Cardio > Supplements. Very simple. You cant expect it to work with out doing the first two.

Hybrid7
05-23-10, 8:44 pm

I weigh 230lb and I'm 32, but when I said I ate 4100 that day, I burned about 3700, I was trying to do a clean bulk when I posted and wondering if cuts would benefit me at all.

After all the posts I've read so far, I've decided to drop my cals 250-500 per day, no fat burner, stay on pump and mstak and run 30mins daily and see what happens. I guess if I notice "shrinkage" I'll just eat a very clean maintenance instead of a deficit. We'll see what happens, thanks for all the advice.

Basically, I'm no shredded dude, cuts won't do much, at my age, I might as well just try to get as monsterous as I can and still be able to run the 1.5 in under 12mins, that's all I need to do anyway for my job lol

N. Motta
05-23-10, 9:08 pm
You burned 3700 calories in a day?

Im dying to know your secret.

Hybrid7
05-23-10, 9:25 pm
total calories burned yea, metabolic rate plus exercise. Been using fitday.com for years, works wonders.