PDA

View Full Version : addicted to training

little big man
05-20-10, 9:32 pm
Hey i find training (slamming iron) a way of life. Im not the biggest guy in the gym well at least not until i swallow some animal pump. Anyways if my body feels as though i can lift 6 days a week should i shoot for it? Now i dont mean Hit chest two days in a row or back or even legs. However I mean Maybe chest twice a week but spread apart by 2 or 3 days and in between do legs. Then work back into it somewhere . Ok so it would look like this Monday-Chest.Tuesday-legs. Wed-arms. Thursday-back.Friday-chest again.Saturday-shoulders and traps.Sunday rest . and on days i train also do minimal cardio at the end of each session. If im taking animal pak, pump,and pm, and whey protein all in a certain order according to the labels of course and also getting enough calories and nutrition from a good diet do you think its enough to recover and start this routine?

Legacy
05-21-10, 12:08 am
Hey i find training (slamming iron) a way of life. Im not the biggest guy in the gym well at least not until i swallow some animal pump. Anyways if my body feels as though i can lift 6 days a week should i shoot for it? Now i dont mean Hit chest two days in a row or back or even legs. However I mean Maybe chest twice a week but spread apart by 2 or 3 days and in between do legs. Then work back into it somewhere . Ok so it would look like this Monday-Chest.Tuesday-legs. Wed-arms. Thursday-back.Friday-chest again.Saturday-shoulders and traps.Sunday rest . and on days i train also do minimal cardio at the end of each session. If im taking animal pak, pump,and pm, and whey protein all in a certain order according to the labels of course and also getting enough calories and nutrition from a good diet do you think its enough to recover and start this routine?

Is there a reason you wanna hit chest twice a week? Or do you just want to be in the gym 6 days a week?

prowrestler
05-21-10, 3:15 am

OCD example.

you are killing your CNS by doing that.

train 4 days a week. upper/lower split or push/pull/legs.

tdubs
05-21-10, 3:44 am
OCD example.

you are killing your CNS by doing that.

train 4 days a week. upper/lower split or push/pull/legs.

Agreed.

Hard Cell
05-21-10, 5:26 am

Hey bro, just and advice, i know you're excited and all, but please train smart.
You wont grow 2-3 inch in one night.
of course u can train certain bodyparts twice a week, just make sure it has completely recover before you're hitting the same bodypart again.
you do not want to OVERTRAIN your body.
You might hurt yourself or even worst, get injured.
If you're a beginner, train your major bodyparts first.

Legacy
05-21-10, 10:18 am
If your just looking to workout more because you like being in the gym, just hit everything once per week, and on that extra day you were gonna train, hit things like calves, traps, and forearms, and abs. I use to do that for a few weeks

fenix237
05-21-10, 10:21 am
LBM- what are your goals? if your goal is to lift 6 days a week, then you are good to go. if you are looking for maximum muscle and strength gains then cut down to 3 or 4 days and see how you feel. very few people have the CNS and recovery to effectively train 6x/wk.

i suggest starting one of the proven routines here in the Animal Forvm or one of many more out there. to just go to the gym to go to the gym is flying blind. ask yourself what you want to accomplish then put a diet and weight routine in place that compliment your goals. some may disagree with me, but i'm guessing you need to work on getting your numbers up on the big lifts...

post up your height, weight, BF, goals, diet and let the Forvm disect, tweak, suggest..etc -MM

MrMonday
05-21-10, 10:32 am
I train six days a week. I'm not sure why everyone is so afraid of overtraining these days, or why "CNS" has become such a popular word to throw out there as an excuse because I don't think people really understand what they mean when they say this.

The CNS doesn't even control voluntary muscle action in the first place, but that's a whole different topic...

Here's the thing, you can't ignore adaptation. The human body doesn't have some magic number of days per week programmed into it that you can work out productively and then it just stops... we're a biological organism, we just don't work that way. We can ADAPT to greater levels of stress, and just as we can adapt to lifting a heavier poundage, we can also adapt to training intensely more often per week.

I didn't train 6 days a week from day 1. I started with 2 or 3 in the very beginning... got more serious and started doing 4, 5... until here I am now doing a 3-way split twice a week and making great progress. And I LOVE training six days a week. As long as the protein and calories are high, the training volume is relatively low, and the regimen is planned intelligently, there aren't going to be many problems.

If you want to lift 6 days a week, go for it, but make sure your basics are in order, and start slow. If you half-ass your diet, you are just going to screw yourself by doing this. If you half-ass training your back and legs and give way too much attention to your chest, you are obviously going to create an imbalance and get injured. If you're going to be out several nights a week getting drunk, don't bother trying to train six days a week.

But if you're actually dedicated, it's no big deal to train six days a week. lol

fenix237
05-21-10, 11:07 am
Monday, i agree with you that 6 days a week can work- i made great gains on a 5x/wk myself. i'm sure you could make progress going everyday if you made necessary changes to your volume. it's all dependent on how you structure your routine (as you know). like you said, lower your volume if going 6x's. the problem is too many people do WAY too much volume that go frequently. the routines that i like normally follow, i would burn out fast going 6 days < 2wks

it was just my suggestion/opinion that he concentrate on building his numbers up as it's a sure fire way to get thicker and stronger. the majority of routines based on power and strength are 2-4 days. granted i'm coming form a weighlifting/PL perspective. he never said what his goals are, so i may have been presumptive...

IRN-NML
05-22-10, 2:45 pm
Ok so it would look like this Monday-Chest.Tuesday-legs. Wed-arms. Thursday-back.Friday-chest again.Saturday-shoulders and traps.Sunday rest . and on days i train also do minimal cardio at the end of each session.

If im taking animal pak, pump,and pm, and whey protein all in a certain order according to the labels of course and also getting enough calories and nutrition from a good diet do you think its enough to recover and start this routine?

Only your body is going to know after maybe a 6-8 week trial (unless you get burned out sooner). You're in the AirForce?...Thank you. Majority of your time taken up with schooling and studying and little physical activity? If so, how much sleep are you getting?

IMHO, successful 6 day trainers are probably even more disciplined in calculating how much training to apply to each session. Pare the body part lifts down to two; say, for chest, incline presses and weighted dips; legs, maybe squats and leg curls (calves separte). Don't go too overboard with sets & don't discount some high rep sets.

So you have chest twice, then maybe the NEXT week, legs twice & so forth.

Any 6 day sessions I've done in the past were too much stuff done in too many days in a row; wasn't smart, wasn't productive.

Don't expect all the Animal products to be your miracle tickets to 6 day training and your food diet and ONE day of rest honestly, critically have to be spot on.

I believe Monday is right; 6 day training can be done successfully, but like I said, it's going to be more exacting than just adding a sixth day. If you feel you've really got all your iron ducks in order; training program, food and supps and day of rest + sound, plentiful sleep every night, then give it ago; whatever results, you'll know when they come in whenever they come in.

MELTDOWN
05-22-10, 2:50 pm
Only your body is going to know after maybe a 6-8 week trial (unless you get burned out sooner). You're in the AirForce?...Thank you. Majority of your time taken up with schooling and studying and little physical activity? If so, how much sleep are you getting?

IMHO, successful 6 day trainers are probably even more disciplined in calculating how much training to apply to each session. Pare the body part lifts down to two; say, for chest, incline presses and weighted dips; legs, maybe squats and leg curls (calves separte). Don't go too overboard with sets & don't discount some high rep sets.

So you have chest twice, then maybe the NEXT week, legs twice & so forth.

Any 6 day sessions I've done in the past were too much stuff done in too many days in a row; wasn't smart, wasn't productive.

Don't expect all the Animal products to be your miracle tickets to 6 day training and your food diet and ONE day of rest honestly, critically have to be spot on.

I believe Monday is right; 6 day training can be done successfully, but like I said, it's going to be more exacting than just adding a sixth day. If you feel you've really got all your iron ducks in order; training program, food and supps and day of rest + sound, plentiful sleep every night, then give it ago; whatever results, you'll know when they come in whenever they come in.

Well stated and 100% agree...

Fricano
05-23-10, 8:31 pm

Basically what I see here is a guy asking if its okay to train chest twice a week. The answer should be plain and simple no. I thought this place was about no bullshit. I'm disappointed that anyone would try to justify this kind of thought. There is little reason to train a bodypart twice in this context. From what is asked it seems as if you want to throw another day just to go to the gym. Of course you would say chest because everyone loves to train chest.There are some more experienced lifters training certain bodyparts twice but only if they are lagging. From what I understand you are basically a beginner. Stick to the basics. I cant blame you for wanting to do more. In the beginning I tried a 3 day double split routine. Of course i grew but i was a newbie and who doesn't grow when they first start. This kind of training took a toll and i could no longer do it. It was a learning experience and from it i found a better way to train. More in not always better. As for this comment "Im not the biggest guy in the gym well at least not until i swallow some animal pump." though it looks harmless its not. Everyone at the begging is crazy about supplements. I know I was. I think what you will come to realize is that they are not magic, their often not as great as they are advertised to be and some stuff you buy is useless. I think people forget to what the word supplement means anyway. They are only a small part. I have to say Animal and Universal are two of the better supplement companies out there but the bottom line is that they are supplement companies and everything they say must be taken with a grain of salt. On that note I would like to wish you good luck in you fitness and physique goals. Remember knowledge is power. We live in an era that place information at a single click away. The only problem is you have to sort the truth from the bullshit.

One last thing, MrMonday you said "The CNS doesn't even control voluntary muscle action in the first place, but that's a whole different topic...". The central nervous system (CNS) is the part of the nervous system that coordinates the activity of all parts of the bodies. It include the brain and the spinal cord. If the CNS doesnt control voluntary movement what does?

fenix237
05-24-10, 9:42 am
Basically what I see here is a guy asking if its okay to train chest twice a week. The answer should be plain and simple no. I thought this place was about no bullshit. I'm disappointed that anyone would try to justify this kind of thought. There is little reason to train a bodypart twice in this context

there are many productive and proven routines (including PL) that have you hitting a bodypart 2x/wk- not trying to be argumentative but why do you believe it's such a bad idea to train a bodypart more than once a week? i believe most any routine/split can work, it's just a mamtter of picking one, setting it up, and go for it

MrMonday
05-24-10, 12:32 pm
One last thing, MrMonday you said "The CNS doesn't even control voluntary muscle action in the first place, but that's a whole different topic...". The central nervous system (CNS) is the part of the nervous system that coordinates the activity of all parts of the bodies. It include the brain and the spinal cord. If the CNS doesnt control voluntary movement what does?

The peripheral nervous system.

Fricano
05-24-10, 12:32 pm
There is definitely a huge difference between a powerliftining routine and that of a bodybuilder. In most cases powerlifters do the same bodyparts because they are training for specific lifts. They may squat twice or bench twice in a week. Their main concern is strength not muscular hypertrophy. This is different from what the OP is asking. I agree you can train a bodypart more than once a week but the only routines i can think of are full body routines where everything is trained three times or push/pull/leg routines however, there is plenty of rest with these kind of routines.The OP asked if he should tack on another day to his current split. Obviously in this context there is no logical reason to do that. You said "i believe most any routine/split can work, it's just a mamtter of picking one, setting it up, and go for it " and I agree partially. Yes most any routine will work if you stick to it and everything else like nutrition is in order. However some routines work better than others and its the goal of every lifter to find what routine works best for them.

Fricano
05-24-10, 12:39 pm
The peripheral nervous system.

I see what your saying and I admit I am partially wrong but the CNS plays a major role in everything. The PNS controls muscle movement but the CNS dictates what moves and what doesn't. The voluntary muscles are controlled by the frontal lobe of the brain so you see the CNS does actually control movement.

LegendKillerJosh
05-24-10, 2:23 pm
IMO it doesn't matter how much you eat or how many supplements you take or what kind of split you are following. Training taxes a lot more than just your muscles. It depletes your creatine stores, it lowers testosterone levels and raises cortisol levels. Your body has a lot of recovery mechanisms and if you exhaust them too much or too frequently, you won't recover effectively from your workouts and that is worse than not training at all. Even if you don't hit the same muscles 2 days in a row, you are taxing your entire body 2 days in a row and that can be costly. If you train at a high intensity there is no need to train 6 days per week.

And I want to ask the original poster, what is your age and how long have you been lifting? A lot of young enthusiasts discover weight training and want to live in the gym and quickly burn out. Just be smart. Quality over quantity.

Legacy
05-24-10, 3:22 pm
IMO it doesn't matter how much you eat or how many supplements you take or what kind of split you are following. Training taxes a lot more than just your muscles. It depletes your creatine stores, it lowers testosterone levels and raises cortisol levels. Your body has a lot of recovery mechanisms and if you exhaust them too much or too frequently, you won't recover effectively from your workouts and that is worse than not training at all. Even if you don't hit the same muscles 2 days in a row, you are taxing your entire body 2 days in a row and that can be costly. If you train at a high intensity there is no need to train 6 days per week.

And I want to ask the original poster, what is your age and how long have you been lifting? A lot of young enthusiasts discover weight training and want to live in the gym and quickly burn out. Just be smart. Quality over quantity.

Along the same lines I thought I would share my 2 cents. As a strength coach, we study a lot about overtraining because it is an important aspect of all strength and conditioning programs. And throughout my experiences I have first hand seen that overtraining has a lot of negative effects on the body. There are technically 4 stages of overtraining that occur and throughout the 4 stages 7 things are affected. These include changes in skeletal muscle, metabolic system, cardiovascular system, immune, endocrine system, psychological changes, and neural changes.

I think we all need to be aware of the difference of overtraining and overreaching. I am a big believer that the body adapts to overtraining and goes through a process to reach that point. It goes from the overload stimulus----to acute fatigue----to overreaching----and then finally to overtraining. I don't wanna get too involved in this topic, but from all my research this is how the body reacts to training stimulus.

Overreaching is that point we want to be at which is where we demolish our muscles but give them days to rest. We rebound off of training for a few days and the body adapts to that and is ready for the next workout. But once we hit that overtraining stage, the body decreases and plateaus and we decrease in our performance, motor coordination, glycogen levels, force production, and hormone responses. This is stuff I've seen first hand and also a lot of things I have researched and this is what overtraining can do to people. With that being said, hit the fuckin gym hard bros, get some PM and catch up on the zzzzz's.

little big man
05-24-10, 8:45 pm
I have been lifting for about 3 years but really started following a routine and diet and supps in the last year. I dont believe ill burn out anytime soon I'm addicted brother love the feel !

Crash
05-24-10, 10:35 pm
...I say if your balls feel big enough to train six days a week...Drive that motherfucker till the wheels fall off...What most people fail to realize, is that the mind will quit long before the body does...A prime example would be if you bench 225 for 6 normally, about the sixth rep your body will send a signal to you mind that it is tired...You mind agrees, and you rack the weight...But what if you sent a message to your body that said..."We're done when I say we're done motherfucker."?.. I think you'd be surprised, at the amount of gas you'd have left in the tank...

...I'm just a big advocate of being aware of your CNS, and all that implies as anyone...But I am a bigger advocate of grabbing your fate by the balls, and not letting go...

...Strength and Honor...

Genetix
05-24-10, 10:58 pm
Only one way to find out: Go for it!
You could try a 2 on 1 off split in which you would train Mon Tues Wed-off Thur Fri Sat-off Sun and using a 4 day split this would allow you to train all muscle groups twice every 7 days.
We are all different and in turn respond different so try it out and see.

LegendKillerJosh
05-24-10, 11:27 pm
I want to make a couple points here. I think a lot of times people are quick to blame overtraining when they have a bad workout or their mind is in the wrong place. However, overtraining DOES exist. And, overtraining does not just occur in terms of frequency. For instance, if you go into the gym and just do biceps and hit them 40 sets of curls, you may end up damaging your muscles beyond repair, or even worse, suffering a serious injury such as a tear. And another point I will make is this, even if you are getting desirable results from a 6 day per week program, you might be able to get better results from only training 3-4 days per week. A lot of people are eager to train because they love it, it's an addiction like heroin. However, it can be a double edged sword. Like a junkie needs more and more junk to feel the high, you might find that training 6 days per week doesn't give your body sufficient recovery time.

IRON-L
05-25-10, 4:40 am
I always had a problem with my arms being too small for my chest and back.
Then I started hitting the guns twice a week for a year.

Don't have that problem anymore.

little big man
05-26-10, 3:16 pm
Hey crash that some good shit right there brother thats what im talking about

little big man
05-26-10, 3:21 pm
how many excercises would you say to perform per body part and number of sets. Also would you divide you back into 2 like traps and middle back and maybe do 3-4 sets for each part? and for biceps do a differnt grip to work different parts of the bicep?

Cellardweller
05-27-10, 11:29 am
I'm currently hitting my bicepts x2 per week too. They're responding well. They have never grown like my chest or tri's do. But now I'm seeing changes.