PDA

View Full Version : Chipotle Sweet Potato Shepherd Pie

soonerbigd
05-23-10, 12:02 am
I got this out of a Cooking Lite cookbook, but it is awesome! It's something you could make a double or triple recipe of and turn into lunches for a week. One of my favorite bulking meals, for sure. When I make it, I usually double the meat, omit the parsley and I may use green beans instead of peas. What you put in it is really up to your personal taste.

For this cutting cycle, I've been making the topping, less the milk and making a half cup of it my carb source for most of my meals. I love how the chipotle peppers add a bit of flavor and spice without changing the nutritional content much.

Yield: 8 servings
Ingredients

* Topping:
* 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
* 2 1/4 pounds peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Filling:
* 2 pounds ground sirloin
* Cooking spray
* 2 cups chopped onion
* 1 cup chopped carrot
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
* 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
* 3 tablespoons steak sauce (such as A-1)
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°.

To prepare topping, remove 1 chile and 2 teaspoons sauce from can; reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Coarsely chop 1 chile.

Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Place potatoes, chopped chile, 2 teaspoons adobo sauce, milk, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.

To prepare filling, cook beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan; drain.

Heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Return beef to pan; stir in peas and remaining ingredients. Cook 2 minutes.

Spoon beef mixture into a 3-quart casserole; top with sweet potato mixture, spreading evenly. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Nutritional Information

Calories: 408 (29% from fat)
Fat: 13.2g (sat 5.2g,mono 5.6g,poly 0.7g)
Protein: 28.3g
Carbohydrate: 43.4g
Fiber: 6.3g
Cholesterol: 84mg
Iron: 3.7mg
Sodium: 480mg
Calcium: 105mg

Cooking Light, AUGUST 2002

FITGYM
05-23-10, 12:31 am
That some good stuuuuffffff there Bro. We really need a recipe book

C.Coronato
05-24-10, 10:53 am
Looks damn tasty. There are a good amount i compiled as well FIT.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=24558

Also go to UniversalUSA.com --> Eating --> Recipes --> Seasonings.

FITGYM
05-27-10, 1:11 am
Looks damn tasty. There are a good amount i compiled as well FIT.

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=24558

Also go to UniversalUSA.com --> Eating --> Recipes --> Seasonings.

Thanks for the heads up with the link....

lewis
07-02-10, 12:52 pm
I think this is one of very nice recipe of chipotle sweet potato shepherd pie.I have also head about some different way to make it but this seems very good.I would like to have test of this.