PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Help

BrownBear210
05-24-10, 2:04 pm
so i've been trying to up my deadlift and i've gotten pretty far.
i went from not even doing them, to now about 475 in about a year but ive hit a pretty bad plateau. ive been doing rack pulls to help, but ive noticed that my problem is going from the floor to my knees, and i know that rack pulls help from the knees up. And i was wondering what could help me with my problem???
im open to anything.

LegendKillerJosh
05-24-10, 2:09 pm
I don't think anything can help your deadlift except for deadlifting. Especially if your struggle is at the bottom of the lift. Try this - grip the bar where you want it. Squat all the way down so your ass is resting on the heels, pull the bar against your shins and use your legs to drive the weight up. The bottom portion should be all legs, only above the knees does the back really come in to play.

BrownBear210
05-24-10, 2:14 pm
ok so basically just more leg work. i also dont really have the best deadlifting body, short arms/legs.

Cstlfx
05-24-10, 2:42 pm
Also, deadlift off a box, plate, or something strong and strudy to get you higher off the ground. Focus on the leg drive during this movement.

I'd start off standing on a plate or two, then increase until you're at a 3"-5" box.

Are you doing weighted abdominal work as well? Lifts such as weighted crunches, weighted v-ups, side bends, rope crunches, weighted leg raises, etc? Having your abs strong and tight will help pop off the floor.

Dont forget about hamstring work in case thats the weak point as well. These would be good mornings, lunges, glute ham raises, etc.

But, I'd start with working off a box and weighted abs first, then see how your lift goes. Dont forget to take the necessary time off to let your body heal!

BryanSmash!
05-24-10, 3:32 pm
start with working off a box

x2.
Also, if you dont have a suitable platform or box to lift off of, load the bar with 35lb plates instead of 45s.

Cstlfx
05-24-10, 5:48 pm
x2.
Also, if you dont have a suitable platform or box to lift off of, load the bar with 35lb plates instead of 45s.

Good call. I've used that method myself.

Mindaugas
05-24-10, 5:53 pm
Reset yourself after every rep.

Maccabee
05-24-10, 7:21 pm
Try doing speed deadlifts.

noend
05-24-10, 8:13 pm
also sumo dead lifts will help your leg strength and drive as it forces you to go into a lower squat. Those and using shorter plates or a platform should help you get it off the ground.

Feel The Power
05-24-10, 8:34 pm
not sure if this will help you or not, but whenever I hit a sticking point I try to do different variations of the lift for 2-3 weeks then attempt straight bar again. Such as one week I will do sets of dumbell dead lifts, one week I will do trap bar dead lifts, one week even dead lift on the smith machine. Speed dead lifts and rack pulls help out a lot too I just try to mix it up whenever i get stuck.

ghost
05-24-10, 8:36 pm
Good Mornings and Static Start Suspended Good Mornings help tremendously with the deadlift. they are all lower back, hips, and legs.

mcbeast
05-24-10, 9:04 pm
Good Mornings
Speed Deads
Hyperextensions
Stiff Leg Dl Off 100# Plate
Band Deads
Rack Deads
Chain Deads
Box Jumps
Heavy Squats
Speed Squats
Hip Flexors
High Rep Db Rows
Abs
Abs
Abs

Get in touch with Sgt Rock. He gave me a deadlift routine that really jacked up my deadlift a while back ago.

BigChrisF
05-24-10, 10:02 pm
x2.

Too much of a pain in the ass to get that many 35's and you run out of room on the bar too fast. If you don't have a box, just build one. Its a like 1 2x4 and a little plywood. Or some 4x4's on the bottoms of your shoes.

Deadlift off the box
GHR
close stance squat starting with lighter weight and going all the way down. I mean all the way. Depth is key and don't sacrifice it for weight.

prowrestler
05-25-10, 12:36 am
I don't think anything can help your deadlift except for deadlifting. Especially if your struggle is at the bottom of the lift. Try this - grip the bar where you want it. Squat all the way down so your ass is resting on the heels, pull the bar against your shins and use your legs to drive the weight up. The bottom portion should be all legs, only above the knees does the back really come in to play.

sorry but this is terrible advise..

hips need to be as high as possible, if they are low, its unneccasry movement for dick all.

the bar path and muscle recruitment will shift aswell.

prowrestler
05-25-10, 12:37 am
if you are actually weak off the floor and not mistaken for 2 weak to lift that weight...

good speed and platform deads will help you out

ontheEDGE
05-25-10, 4:13 pm
My problem with deadlifts is that I just started doing them and I'm not sure where i should be feeling it. Also there's regular deads and stiff leg for more hamstring work. Do both on seperate days or is that too much?

Legacy
05-25-10, 10:34 pm
This has helped with my deadlift. One thing I do if this makes sense is rollback when I do my deadlift. From the starting position I stay squatted down on my toes with the bar under my knees. As I start my deadlift, I slowly roll back from my toes to my heels and when my heels hit the floor, I explode up from the ground.

theharjmann
05-26-10, 5:06 am
so i've been trying to up my deadlift and i've gotten pretty far.
i went from not even doing them, to now about 475 in about a year but ive hit a pretty bad plateau. ive been doing rack pulls to help, but ive noticed that my problem is going from the floor to my knees, and i know that rack pulls help from the knees up. And i was wondering what could help me with my problem???
im open to anything.

You have only been training for a year. You have made good progress. A plateau is inevitable.

Take at least a month of deadlifting.

Legs are used hugely in the deadlift. So make sure u train legs at least once a week and you do DEEP.

Focus on other back exercises and hit them hard....bent over rows etc.

Once your numbers go up on every other free weight back and leg exercise your deadlift will go up with ease.

When i hit a plateau for an exercise i always take at least a month off...then when i come back my muscles are bigger and stronger and i have a shit load of agression to lift the weight since its been such a wait before i can make the lift.

All the above will ONLY help if you eat enough, sleep enough, train hard enough and dont go out drinking like an ass.

It all depends on how much you really want it. A few posts on a forum wont help you. YOU need to do it yourself.

Good luck.