PDA

View Full Version : Alternating grip for deads or shrugs argument

EBO13
05-24-10, 4:24 pm
My workout partner insists that when you alternate grip on deads and shrugs it "gives you more strength." He says that he has done research that says it gives you more strength. I never alternate and i use straps when I go heavier then i can hold. he uses alternating grip and straps almost the whole time. so my question is... is it true? any advantages to it over normal grip? If there are "studies" then please post one.

Thanks fellas

Brick By Brick
05-24-10, 4:34 pm
My workout partner insists that when you alternate grip on deads and shrugs it "gives you more strength." He says that he has done research that says it gives you more strength. I never alternate and i use straps when I go heavier then i can hold. he uses alternating grip and straps almost the whole time. so my question is... is it true? any advantages to it over normal grip? If there are "studies" then please post one.

Thanks fellas
This is how I understand it for deadlifts - alternating grip is sturdier for most people because it helps prevent the bar from rolling out of your hands. I don't know if it gives you more strength, but if you don't have a good hook grip and/or incredible grip strength, a double overhand DL grip will result in bar slippage when you encounter really heavy weight. Of course, that in itself is relative for the person in question. I use a double overhand with straps when pulling heavy DLs for reps. I'm training my hook grip up to 250 lbs, then will go to straps, or an over/under grip with lots of chalk. I don't know if any studies offhand, this has just been my experience, and the advice of much stronger, experienced lifters.

JUGGERNAUT
05-24-10, 4:46 pm
Since when did it become an argument? In my experience, I have noticed; that on an under-hand grip, it tends to stress the bicep more. For that reason, I do a set one way; then the other to balance this stress.

As for being able to hold onto a bar, that is a different discussion. As far as adding strength, there is really no difference if you can hold onto the bar with your max weights.

If you are competitive in power lifting, your options are even less because you can't use straps at all. You will find a higher percentage there of people pulling with an over-under grip instead of hook grip (mostly used by people with longer fingers).

moreofme2kill
05-25-10, 2:21 pm
i do both with my right hand underhand, and left overhand. only way that works for me.

ghost
05-25-10, 2:29 pm
deads-over/under.

shrugs-over/over

if your training partner has "done research," id LOVE to see it. anytime someone says they did research, they are bullshitting you.

Aggression
05-25-10, 2:41 pm
All my life I did the over/over for deadlifts and used straps. Whenever I tried the over/under, it always felt awkward to me. I started the 5/3/1 program about 8 weeks ago and trained myself to use the over/under and use chalk instead of straps. Now I can't picture doing it any other way. Over/under feels comfortable and I love it.

In the end, its all about comfort. Do what you feel is comfortable and run with it.

On the shrugs, I've always done it over/over and will continue to do so.

Sho
05-25-10, 3:11 pm
In MY opinion over/under without straps, and double over hand with straps.. for some reason over under is super awkward with straps on, for me anyways.