PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Stiffness Help

Serpiente-6509
05-26-10, 9:49 am
Hey FORVM,

So I was doing some seated Military presses (free, no smith machine) and I noticed my elbow started to hurt. Dropped that and moved on w/ the rest of my workout. Next day did some skull crushers and noticed my elbow hurt, not the actual joint but a spot maybe 1-1.5 in up. That was like 3 weeks ago. My elbow is still stiff and I can feel it when I do certain movements but once I get going w/ reps it goes away and feels fine. It is not so bad I cannot move it just more of a stiff feeling. Suggestions on getting around this? I plan to see a doc sometime soon.

s6

Legacy
05-26-10, 10:16 am
Maybe you just gotta warm up a little bit more and get some blood flowing around those tendons and ligaments before you start your workout. If that still isn't working go see a physical therapist and see if they can diagnose a reason for the pain.

intoodeep25
05-26-10, 11:47 am
i deal with the same problem. it sucks. let me know what you find out about yours

Survivor831
05-26-10, 10:00 pm
I have noticed in the past that if I go too heavy on all of my compound movements like squat/bench/Military for too many weeks, I start to get some stiffness/tightness in my arm around my elbow in the tendon region. Dropping the weight and changing some exercises for a couple of weeks seem to be enough rest, than I can start going heavy again on my compound exercises, just not all at once.

Cellardweller
05-27-10, 11:38 am
The insertion site for your tricept head is at your elbow. I developed bursitis in my elbow and it swells up pretty good after doing chest/ tri's. I have no pain unless I do skullcrushers. Skullcrushers have been dropped from my routine all together now. What you describe is a little different than my thing though. I'm curious to know what your MD says too. I have little faith in mine.

Serpiente-6509
05-28-10, 8:07 pm
I think what I will do is just go light for a bit and x out skull crushers for a while (damn shame since they work so well) and sum in some close grip bench instead. Any other suggestions as to warmups?

music_man185
05-28-10, 8:10 pm
i noticed that when it comes to doing chest or triceps, i have to spend extra time warming up to keep my elbow from bothering me. you might also want to try a joint supplement like animal flex

intoodeep25
05-28-10, 11:38 pm
i noticed that when it comes to doing chest or triceps, i have to spend extra time warming up to keep my elbow from bothering me. you might also want to try a joint supplement like animal flex

how do yall warm the elbows up. cant really think of much to do for em..extra warm up sets?

music_man185
05-29-10, 9:09 am
i usually do some fairly light rope extensions on the cable machine. a couple sets of pushups. and maybe bench press the bar for a few reps. sometimes, i'll also push against the wall and then push off the wall. kinda like a standing pushup.

i'm also on my first can of animal flex, and i have to say that it has helped my elbows quite a bit in the short time i've taken it.

82Airborne
05-29-10, 9:15 am
Make sure you do a proper warm, Get light weight do 30-50 reps, then slowly go up. Do not go heavy until the pain goes away. Also strech between sets, just don't sit there like your posing for a picture, you must maintain, your muscles and joints warm. As well as taking glucosomine (I think thats how you spell it) good for joints.
Hope this helps

Serpiente-6509
06-04-10, 10:58 am
So far I have pretty much binned skull crushers and do more close bench and cable work. Deffinatly need to warm up more, main problem is that it will be there for most pressing movements, but once I get a good warm up in there it goes away. Will maybe call a doc when I get back home.