PDA

View Full Version : benefits of rack-pulls?

kevinyu
05-29-10, 6:55 pm
been looking and researching it but could only find info on how to do it
im guessing that it takes the glutes and hams out of the equation and really focuses on hitting the back?
im thinking of substituting them for deads to try them out
any thoughts?

BigChrisF
05-29-10, 7:06 pm
It's like doing any other partial range of motion exercise variation. Rack pulls focus on the upper part of the lift and help with lock-out. When I do them I set the bar up at my sticking point so that I have to pull from a dead stop without having any momentum going in to that area.

kevinyu
05-29-10, 7:08 pm
thanks for the input, what kind of grip do you use on rack pulls?

BigChrisF
05-29-10, 7:24 pm
All of them, depending on what I feel like doing. I try to stay with double overhand until I can't effectively hold the weight. After that, I use hook grip or over-under and alternate which hand is over and under.

alphagrrrrl
05-31-10, 11:07 pm
We do rack pulls as a substitute for max effort deadlift days. I can usually pull a lot more from my knees, or right below my knees, than I can from the ground. It helps a lot in powerlifting to remind you to push your hips through and really pull back on the bar. It'll make your lock-out really strong too.

jeff00z28
05-31-10, 11:30 pm
for bodybuilding not having to use so much hams and glutes, and having more energy for other movements. For powerlifting it helps pull from a sticking point

theharjmann
06-01-10, 11:21 am
im guessing that it takes the glutes and hams out of the equation and really focuses on hitting the back?
any thoughts?

also try snatch grip deadlifts for back mass

Deathride
06-02-10, 7:42 pm
any thoughts?

Don't substitute them for deads, but use them to work on your strength during the upper part of the movement. As stated below! There aren't many lifts that JUST work the lower back and its probably better to consider the entire posterior chain as one....