PDA

View Full Version : Some Ideas About Nothing Specific

shortstack
06-01-10, 11:17 am
Thought I'd start a thread in the Life section and put a few things out there about nothing and anything that pops into my head.

I don't feel I'm any more ahead of the game than anyone else but I have some thoughts that keep trying to escape and this is the place for it so here I go.....

A little about myself for those of you that don't know me. I'm 35 and have been in the Iron game for about 6-8 serious years. I've been married for 3 years and have a 8 month old daughter.

I'm curently working with Rage for my first show in October in Iowa and am looking forward to the cut. I've never got much lower than maybe 9-10% before so I'm anxious to see what I look like. I'm 5-6" and around 195 at the moment with 12-14% bf, still not big enough but I can work with it.

If ya want to know some of my numbers, if that is important and make a difference, my bench SUCKS at a 1rm around 315, Deads I can pull 405 maybe 6-8 times, and squats, my personal favorite, I can hit a 1rm around 450-500.

I have some things brewing that I'll lay down on the electronic super highway shortly. Until then See ya around.

Jeremy

joel.recla
06-01-10, 3:06 pm
Hey bro I wanna start by saying good luck with ur shows. I hope u kill em! you got some pretty solid numbers goi there!

naturalguy
06-01-10, 4:05 pm
Awesome to hear you are going to bust your cherry and get on stage

JUGGERNAUT
06-01-10, 4:16 pm
Props, best of luck with your training.

shortstack
06-01-10, 4:30 pm
Hey bro I wanna start by saying good luck with ur shows. I hope u kill em! you got some pretty solid numbers goi there!

Thanks Brother and good luck getting an ABC going over in Wisconsin. You need any help just let me know.

Awesome to hear you are going to bust your cherry and get on stage

Thanks NG, I was going to do one last year but with the impending birth of my daughter around the same date of the show, I had to postone until this year. If you have any expert advice just let me know, I can always use good advice.

shortstack
06-01-10, 4:34 pm
Props, best of luck with your training.

Thanks CRUSHERNAUT. hahaha love the ever changing name of the day. Wisdom and advice always appreciated brother.

shortstack
06-02-10, 11:41 am
I was thinking about this phrase today and the last part really stuck in my head. Virtue. It’s a really great word that, unfortunately, I don't think can be found in to many places in this modern world.

I ran across a definition recently that I really liked that says “a virtue is a character trait or quality valued as being always good in and of it self.” For me, I’m thinking of Patience as the quality that I want to use to better myself, or make myself more virtuous.

I’ve made the decision to consciously employ this in my everyday life. I want to become more Active in my physical and emotional responses instead of Reactive. If I maintain my Patience to the point that is becomes a virtue of my personality, I can eliminate unknown outcomes on my part.

So I effect change where I can and bide my time. I say consistent in my training, eating, sleeping, and results will come. I pace myself and stay healthy; healthy means I can keep lifting.

No rush, no hurry.

Jeremy

Beowulf
06-02-10, 12:00 pm
I like ideas about nothing myself. Sometimes, when there's nothing else, I like to think about nothing. Or is that else, lol.

Count me subscribed.

korinek00
06-02-10, 12:07 pm
If there is one think working out has taught me it's patience. Patience and pacing yourself is the name of the game. Anything worth having is a marathon, not a sprint. If you start out too fast and too hard you run out of gas. Be consistent, be steady, be unwaivering. The tortoise and the hair. Slow, but steady.

Beowulf
06-02-10, 12:24 pm
If there is one think working out has taught me it's patience. Patience and pacing yourself is the name of the game. Anything worth having is a marathon, not a sprint. If you start out too fast and too hard you run out of gas. Be consistent, be steady, be unwaivering. The tortoise and the hair. Slow, but steady.

I agree with you. If something comes easy, the more likely you are of squandering it or taking it for granted. Work in, value out. In other words, the more work you put into something, the more sweat equity that goes in, the more you value that something.

joel.recla
06-02-10, 1:10 pm
haha i've brought it up to a few people, but they all workout at this gym that's really expensive. It's a great set up, they have everything u could ever want. Tires logs chains, they even have a truck pull area. I just can't afford it. I lift at a cheap place that only has what I need. A roof, walls and weights.

shortstack
06-14-10, 9:40 pm
Today was a cool day. I finally started my cut for the show I'm doing in October. It was very exciting and nerve racking all at the same time.

I switched up everything, diet, workouts, cardio. I had to change my mind set and get my shit together. It's only 18 weeks and then I'll be standing there showing what I've been training for. I'll be proving to my self that I could set this goal and hit the mark.

More thought to follow....

Jeremy

shortstack
06-18-10, 4:35 pm
Lately I’ve been feeling like a caged Animal. Like every turn takes me right into another road block. It’s a daily fight to keep going, but I’m not ready to throw in the towel yet.

It’s easy to get in a rut and start shoveling the dirt over yourself because that’s the way it’s always been, but that’s over for me. I’m taking steps to not only get out of the rut but to fill it with concrete and start building on top of it. Positive changes are on the way brothers.

For me, my wife and daughter are my main motivation to keep at the grind and make something happen. They are the reason I get up at 4am to knock out the weights and have my evenings free to spend with them. They are the reason that I’m not going to accept my status quo, mediocrity any longer.

My opinion is that if you want to change your situation you have to do whatever it takes. You have to believe that it’s possible and not stop until that goal is achieved. You have to sometimes sacrifice both needs and wants to reach your desired outcome.

I’m not there yet but at least I took the first step.

What about you?

shortstack
07-09-10, 11:29 pm
Continuing on from my last post I have to say things are looking up. Since my job drives me absolutely crazy and was causing me a ton of un needed stress, I've decided to take a step and go the other way.

There are things I can't control, no matter what, so I have been letting go and following the status quo. Normally this is completely opposite of how I live but I haven't thrown in the towel brothers, just shored up my strategy a little.

I have a house, 2 vehicles, and a family to pay for so my own desires have to be put on hold until that improves and I can make my move. Good things are on the way and the smarter stretegy will prevail.

Jeremy

charlievanriper
07-09-10, 11:42 pm
SS I am still watching and waiting, based on your messege to me I am excited to hear that news and hope all goes well. Your first Cut man thats exciting for you or should be its hard, but take everything as an experiment and find what works for your body. Good luck on your Show in OCT. Even though I dont post to much in other threads, I'm always checking to see progress in those I have befriended. Looking forward to busting some serious IROn with you soon!!

shortstack
07-09-10, 11:52 pm
SS I am still watching and waiting, based on your messege to me I am excited to hear that news and hope all goes well. Your first Cut man thats exciting for you or should be its hard, but take everything as an experiment and find what works for your body. Good luck on your Show in OCT. Even though I dont post to much in other threads, I'm always checking to see progress in those I have befriended. Looking forward to busting some serious IROn with you soon!!

Thanks Brother. Plans are in the works and it may take a little longer than I had planned but I'll get out there sooner or later. I'll def keep you informed.

Thanks for the support.

Jeremy

charlievanriper
07-09-10, 11:58 pm
Your welcome, SS.
By the way ya got me beat on squats, but I got ya on Bench brother lol. hey its off to the gym again I want to hit another 30 to 45 minute walk tonight before I crash, so goodnight bro and my best to your family!!

shortstack
09-16-10, 12:13 pm
What's up brothers? Just thought I'd throw down a little insight into the last few weeks for ya.

I've been doing my best to get in my food, water, training, cardio, and still spend time with my rapidly growing daughter and wife. I even purchased a treadmill for the house so I can still be there with them even if it's while I'm grinding out an hour, twice a day.

The last few weeks have been rough because I haven't been dropping as I think I should. I've determined to kick up the intensity and make my body respond. I've never been lower than probably 10-12%bf and burning off what I have is a challenge.

Lately I've made the decision to get out on the road and run for as long as I can take it. On 50 grams of carbs a day I do pretty well but you really have to step up the mental game to get this done.

Once your out on the road at 4am things start to change. You start to feel the city landscape breathing around you even though it dark and dead quiet. You can catch a breath of fresh, crisp air coming through the trees without the petroleum exhaust aftertaste.

The road hurts more than the treadmill and doesn't let you cheat. You can't hold the rails, you can't turn the speed down and cruise while the belt pushes you along.

Not with the road brothers, you have to grind that shit out, mile by mile, city block by city block, and sometimes one sidewalk pad at a time until you get back home.

I'm close to the finish and not out of this yet.

Jeremy

Firedrake
09-16-10, 4:18 pm
Jeremy, I've been where you are (though, honestly, without the family life issues), and I know what you mean about needing to step up the mental game. It's rough -- there's no doubt, but I know that, down deep in that "shortstack", there's a treasure trove of WILL that'll make this happen.

You've done some amazing work since we started the Iron Contest a little over a year ago, and I'm proud to know you. I cannot WAIT to see what you bring to the stage, because I know it will be the best you have to offer. This is a learning experience, or it at least it was for me, to learn how my body responds and how to -make- it respond when it's tired or doesn't want to.

Remember, howEVER you place (and this is something Rage had to hammer home with me), you're doing something 99% of men cannot or will not do, or don't have the intestinal fortitude to do, even if they ARE Animals and weightlifters. Just by getting on that stage, you've beaten the odds, and are a winner! Yeah, we'd all like to win first place, but given judging vagaries, that's not gonna happen. This is your first show. You're learning a lot, and will know better as you approach the NEXT show how to get ready for it.

This is one helluva ride, and not many men can make it to the end.

I have NO doubt you will.

shortstack
09-16-10, 5:31 pm
Thanks for the Encouragement Jim. I know that you have just been there and know what it takes to step on stage. It's hard no matter what our situation is but that's what it's all about.

I'm very focused but will keep you guys in the loop.

Jeremy

shortstack
05-24-11, 3:03 pm
I haven't posted for a while in this thread either because I spend alot of time with my wife and daughter, or simply because I just had nothing interesting to say. In the modern age of non stop twitter and face book updates I know that may sound like a novel idea to have nothing interesting going on but trust me people, it does happen.

So my kick off topic is one that bothers me a little and I'd like your opinions on the subject of "Great Genetics"

Let me explain that I question those statements because I do not feel that I have great genetics but I desire to have that 1970's, aesthetic, BB look. I not only desire it but I have dedicated myself to busting my ass to prove that setting your desires into motion can get you want you want. If I buy into my genetic limitations I'm stuck with what I have....and that just doesn't work for me.

I have recently started bringing up my intesnity, forcing the muscles past where I would have quit before, and I have been seeing results. I've restructured my diet to get the most out of my pre and post workout nutrition. I stay leaner by cutting rest periods, superset my exercises, and kicked in some cardio . I've made real changes that are getting me real results.

My opinion...OPINION... is that for most of us, we are not genetic freaks, BUT entirely capable of being much better than we currently are. I'll never be on a professional BB stage, that's just not relistic with where I'm at in my life, but I'm not taking a step back because I'm not "genetically gifted." I would call that an excuse...and you know what they say about excuses!!!
Jeremy

smoothballer
05-24-11, 4:15 pm
Great write-up Jeremy. I definitely agree that we should all push ourselves past what people deem are genetic limitations.

shortstack
02-02-12, 10:30 am
Hey Brothers and Sisters in the Iron. I haven't had anything interesting to say lately but recently had an interesting throught.

I sat at a stoplight waiting for it to change when I saw a Gentleman in a electric wheen chair, managed by a controller that went in his mouth. He was obviously unable
to use his arms and although I'm sure that he is perfectly capable of taking care of himself, I couldn't help but keep an eye on him as he made his way across the road and onto his destination.

I saw him on my left before the light changed and he started across the 5 lane road. As passed in front of the car I thought his weel base ws pretty narrow and if something
happened and it tiped I'd block off traffic and run over to help him out. Then as he got over by the cross walk I saw that most of it was blocked by snow and I thought WTF, why wasn't that cleared.
I was again prepared to jump out and help him get through that also. Right after the cross walk there is a bit of a steep hill that he was manuvering next and seemed to be ok after that.
My light changed and I took off but I kept thinking about the entire situation.

I didn't at any time feel sorry for him or prepare to help because I thought he was helpless, I was just concerned for a fellow Human Being trying to get along with his life.
It made me wonder how much would the world change if even 1/10 of the population of the world was prepared to do the same for their fellow man. Remember that I didn't
actually do anything but I was prepared to and genuinely concerned.

I don't feel like I'm a great person or anything like that because I thought about someone else, that should be a basic human concern that everyone has, but
it made me somewhat more aware that maybe I need to do more myself if I expect the world I live in to get better. I don't know that I can or will but when the opportunity
presents it's self, I hope I'm strong enough to do what is right and make a difference.

Jeremy