PDA

View Full Version : Oblique shape and neck growth

Deltoid
06-01-10, 4:15 pm
Alright, let's face it. We all hate atleast one thing about ourselves (if not a lot more). I hate the size of my neck and the shape of my obliques. I have a big lat spread but I can't stand the shape of my abdomen and the ways that my obliques are shaped. My obliques come out like "muffin tops" (I'm not fat I'm about 6-7% bodyfat...) However I was wondering if It was possible to shape your obliques into more narrow so from my lats to my waist is a "V" shape.

And second. How do I get a bigger neck? It's gotten stronger from lifting but how the hell do I get it get thicker? I need it to go along with the rest of my body better. From front to back it looks ok, but from a side view I think it's alittle too thin.

Any help from my Animal Brothers is always thanked

-Deltoid

Birdman
06-01-10, 4:19 pm
Best neck thickness for me is hard n' heavy shrugs.

Deltoid
06-01-10, 4:27 pm
Best neck thickness for me is hard n' heavy shrugs.

Should I really focus on shrugs? I'm big into forearms and calves so I hit those twice a week. Is it possible to do traps twice a week also?

Mindaugas
06-01-10, 6:45 pm
yes it's possible.... do them on back day and shoulder day, just space them out for example tuesday and friday or satruday. Also buy a neck harness and do yes'es.

music_man185
06-01-10, 8:02 pm
i dont know what your ab routine looks like. but i do obliques with every set of abs. i usually stick to hanging leg raises and crunches on the medicine ball. but i could use some new oblique movements in my routine as well.

prowrestler
06-02-10, 1:02 am
Should I really focus on shrugs? I'm big into forearms and calves so I hit those twice a week. Is it possible to do traps twice a week also?

dude its possible to do legs even twice a week. depends on your programming and nutrition

IRON-L
06-02-10, 7:22 am
I never train to isolate obliques or the transverse abdomen muscles as it expands your waistline, even if it is only a little - which erodes your V shape.
I do have a nice ab workout...I just don't target obliques specifically.

Else you can just hit lats and side delts harder, which will make you wider.

C.Coronato
06-02-10, 9:19 am
Big C has a huge neck, no lie. I joke with him often, but he may know some great exercises. As far as obliques, i think the "muffin top" will go with low body fat ..

Deltoid
06-02-10, 6:26 pm
Big C has a huge neck, no lie. I joke with him often, but he may know some great exercises. As far as obliques, i think the "muffin top" will go with low body fat ..

Yeah I do have low body fat I have around 6-7%. It's just the shape of my abdomen genetically. And lets' get Big C on this thread haha.

Elite
06-02-10, 7:12 pm
Always found Side Planks keep my obliques in check.

VANDAL340
06-03-10, 5:49 am
I think that 2 shrugs day [one with BB on BACK day & second with DB in SHOULDERS day] and also UPRIGHT ROWS are great, try both: normal-grip and close-grip... that will help you a lot

Fury317
06-03-10, 8:36 am
If youre a low body fat and still have "bulky" obliques, there is nothing you can change about that. You can not "re-shape" your muscle- its purely genetics. Just like you cant "focus on your bicep peak" etc. Kind of sucks, but you have to work with what you got.

As far as your neck, deadlifts and shrugs. Not sure why you would want a bigger neck? Are you training for stength or aesthetics? Because if its bodybuilder focused, you probably want to keep it small- illusions are everything in this sport.

Deltoid
06-04-10, 3:59 pm
If youre a low body fat and still have "bulky" obliques, there is nothing you can change about that. You can not "re-shape" your muscle- its purely genetics. Just like you cant "focus on your bicep peak" etc. Kind of sucks, but you have to work with what you got.

As far as your neck, deadlifts and shrugs. Not sure why you would want a bigger neck? Are you training for stength or aesthetics? Because if its bodybuilder focused, you probably want to keep it small- illusions are everything in this sport.

I'm not saying I want a 25 inch neck, but I think it should be a little more proportioned with my body and head. Why would I want to have a "small" looking neck when I compete? Is that something that makes my traps look bigger on stage? Thanks for the advice everyone. And I'll do more shrugs and deadlifts and upright rows.

Fury317
06-05-10, 9:46 am
I'm not saying I want a 25 inch neck, but I think it should be a little more proportioned with my body and head. Why would I want to have a "small" looking neck when I compete? Is that something that makes my traps look bigger on stage? Thanks for the advice everyone. And I'll do more shrugs and deadlifts and upright rows.

Yeah it could make your traps look bigger, or your shoulders a little more full/wider. Its like having small wrists- makes the forearm/arm in general look bigger than it actually measures. On the flip side, yeah if your neck is 13in you might want to hit some shrugs.

Anyways, thats just my opinion man. If you want to beef up your neck a little, thats cool. I was just curious because its not something judges take into consideration if youre looking to compete- like "hmmm competitor A's neck is more defined and thicker than competitor B" haha.

AlphaBrass01
06-05-10, 11:25 am
Always found Side Planks keep my obliques in check.

Yes! Side planks and side hip raises from plank position.

Deltoid
06-05-10, 6:06 pm
Yeah it could make your traps look bigger, or your shoulders a little more full/wider. Its like having small wrists- makes the forearm/arm in general look bigger than it actually measures. On the flip side, yeah if your neck is 13in you might want to hit some shrugs.

Anyways, thats just my opinion man. If you want to beef up your neck a little, thats cool. I was just curious because its not something judges take into consideration if youre looking to compete- like "hmmm competitor A's neck is more defined and thicker than competitor B" haha.

Word bro, I gotcha. Thanks for the advice. Went to my first bodybuilding show today and loved it.

Rossini
06-05-10, 6:23 pm
have you tried getting a decent weighted db in one hand and doing side bends. then switching db sides bends. these are epic. or when your in the shower do a few hundread. but no weight keep your hands above your head. and try and tilt back a bit so your not completly straight. that and get ankle weights. and do leg raises on a decline sit up bench. or off a bench and go left and right. kills but worth it.

Deltoid
06-05-10, 10:02 pm
have you tried getting a decent weighted db in one hand and doing side bends. then switching db sides bends. these are epic. or when your in the shower do a few hundread. but no weight keep your hands above your head. and try and tilt back a bit so your not completly straight. that and get ankle weights. and do leg raises on a decline sit up bench. or off a bench and go left and right. kills but worth it.

I did something like that before. I did kettle bell training before and "windmills" are similar to what you explained. I've also been doing the exercise where you shove an Olympia in the corner and put weight on one end and rotate the bar side to side of your body. Good for obliques I found out.

msktyshha
06-07-10, 4:46 pm
I would say if they are sticking out already at 5-7% then don't do any weighted exercises that hit the obliques directly, and also when you do squats and deads, you are obviously using your obliques, I know guys who use belts during squats and deads even during light sets to keep there waist and stomach area smaller to really get the V shape.

Deltoid
06-07-10, 10:08 pm
I would say if they are sticking out already at 5-7% then don't do any weighted exercises that hit the obliques directly, and also when you do squats and deads, you are obviously using your obliques, I know guys who use belts during squats and deads even during light sets to keep there waist and stomach area smaller to really get the V shape.

Yeah I just got big obliques I guess. Like someone would look at me and say "wow he looks good" or whatever and I look at myself and say "Holy shit, I hate this." Just one of those things where it's more like a perfectionist stand point.

MojoMike36
06-07-10, 10:20 pm
You need to do static holds on the side of your head like we always do in football warm-ups. Thats thickened my neck up, not that it needed it.

As for your muffin top hips...you're boned bro. Sorry. Best you can do is get wider up top to offset everything.