PDA

View Full Version : Backpackers, Campers, Hikers, Outdoorsmen, Survivalists...Please Read!

mcbeast
06-07-10, 8:25 pm
So here it is plain and simple. I have become extremely interested in being an outdoorsman. One day I was taking a simple walk thru the woods with my dog, and it struck me just how amazing it was. Being alone, away from civilization is such a great feling. Since that day not too long ago I have started getting outdoors more and more.

Now, mind you Im not someone who has been cooped up inside for years. As a kid I was a cub scout, and wandered out in the North Carolina woods and swamps for hours on end with my family. Did the same thing In Jersey. Ive also been outside plenty, and picked up a bunch of things since I joined the Army in 08'.

I have come to the conclusion that I NEED to be outdoors MUCH more. I have picked up books on backpacking, wilderness survival etc and have started gathering some gear. SO far I do not have much, Just a Bugout "Assault Pack" w/ 1-2 days of necessities for a days trip.

So, what Im asking here is 1) Is there any brothas on here that are serious outdoorsmen, etc? 2) Would you mind shootin any info my way!?

As of right now I have simply marched my happy self through some local park trails, etc. I currently have a "timeline" planned for the next year. It goes something like this.

Within the next:
2 Months- 2-4Full Day hikes
4 Months- Another 2 Day hikes an an overnighter
6 Months- 2 Overnighters, another 2 day hikes
12 Months- I want to total an average of 1 Day Hike a month, and an overnight every 2 months. This will all be leading up to a trail not too far away that is 90 Some miles. A 10-14 day trip. This timeframe will give me more experience and time to gather gear and a large amount of knowledge.

Well thats that folks. Anyone care to chime in?

C.Coronato
06-08-10, 9:11 am
I dont know much about it, but i think its awesome. I love being outside, mountain biking was always something that i enjoyed. Good luck to you my man.

tdubs
06-08-10, 9:25 am
This is slightly in a different direction to your initial question but I highly recommend reading 'Survivial of the Fittest' by Mike Stroud.

Stroud is a doctor and an expert in survival in extreme conditions and the outdoors. He himself has walked across the Poles with Sir Ranulph Fiennes, ran the Marathon De Sables and completed an ultra-distance multi event challenege in North America (the name of which escapes me now).

Aside from being a very good read it's got loads of background science about how the body can do what it can in extreme circumstances, along with useful information for those following outdoor pursuits.

Also, for my two cents, if you ever get the chance to hike in New Zealand, take it. It blew me away.

Mr. Dead
06-08-10, 5:24 pm
If you plan on doing it up here, in Washington, I highly suggest a good poncho... A good trenching tool, to keep your tent from flooding... A good compass... And some extra rations, as a lot of people get lost on their hikes up here... And that includes experienced survivalists...

PORTERHOUSE
06-08-10, 6:27 pm
The best way to enjoy the outdoors man, is to just go. It takes a long while to build up the gear, you pick up a little here and there.

You always need to know the area you're going to be in, where you're going, etc... but to really enjoy it, just get out there in it man.

I've been around plenty, PCT, AT, etc... the most fun times you'll have are the ones when you just get up and go.

Heres some quick advice: don't overpack.

mcbeast
06-08-10, 10:05 pm
Well, always better to have something then not to right? Haha.

Thanks Guys.

BigChrisF
06-09-10, 3:53 am
Well, always better to have something then not to right? Haha.

Thanks Guys.

Say that again when you've been carrying the son of a bitch for a couple weeks.

I don't think I qualify as a serious outdoorsman, I've spent some time backpacking in the mountains with the longest trip being about 3 weeks. If you have a specific question, ask. Otherwise here is what I suggest:
-Full grain leather boots with GorTex and Vibram soles
-Smart wool socks-expensive as hell, but worth every penny if you are going places for more than a couple days.
-A good knife. Best tool you can take. I have this one, and love it. http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Text&SearchText=sog+tigershark&Search.x=&Search.y=&SKU=SOGTE01
-A good sleeping bag. I suggest a 20 degree bag for everthing except the dead of summer.
-A topographical map and compass. You can go anywhere with these two.
-A good stick to walk with/defend yourself. I've had the same stick for about 3 years now. It has saved me a couple times.

mcbeast
06-09-10, 6:47 pm
Say that again when you've been carrying the son of a bitch for a couple weeks.

I don't think I qualify as a serious outdoorsman, I've spent some time backpacking in the mountains with the longest trip being about 3 weeks. If you have a specific question, ask. Otherwise here is what I suggest:
-Full grain leather boots with GorTex and Vibram soles
-Smart wool socks-expensive as hell, but worth every penny if you are going places for more than a couple days.
-A good knife. Best tool you can take. I have this one, and love it. http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Text&SearchText=sog+tigershark&Search.x=&Search.y=&SKU=SOGTE01
-A good sleeping bag. I suggest a 20 degree bag for everthing except the dead of summer.
-A topographical map and compass. You can go anywhere with these two.
-A good stick to walk with/defend yourself. I've had the same stick for about 3 years now. It has saved me a couple times.

Haha. I get some twisted enjoyment out of that though. Ive already looked into Gortex boots. I know I will be getting a pair for sure. Wool socks are definetely a bonus as well. I know these are a necessity. I have a slight fixation for knives, but my few fixed blades are back home. I just ordered this knife, it should be here in a few days.
http://www.trueswords.com/images/prod/c/TS-KBHMSTSRVL_540.jpg

As far as other gear I have been doing plenty of research and have a good line of stuff set up on my amazon wishlist. As finances get right I will slowly add on. As far as a sleeping bag I am going to go with the same one I was issued. No point in spending that extra money just yet, when Its provided for me at no cost. Map-N-Compass. Already tracking that. Thanks for the input man.