PDA

View Full Version : 20 rep breathers???

swoleberry
06-08-10, 11:50 pm
i've been doing a little reading on the old tom platz 20 rep breathing squats.
any thoughts about it?
anyone tried it?

Sho
06-09-10, 12:12 am
they kick ass!

Kevlar
06-09-10, 11:21 am
I did 20 rep sets on squats last week. Let me tell you they are not for the weak. I have been squatting for 14 years, but the 20 rep sets had me puke afterwards. Nothing like losing all that sweet tasting expensive pre-workout mix. At least I finished my workout. After a warm up set of 135, I put 225 on the bar and did 3 sets of 20. Holy shit, I had to take a kneee after each set. And the gods of iron blessed me with 3 days of pure soreness. I normally do a widowmaker of 405 x 3, but for a volume day I did 225 for 3 sets of 20 reps. I think I am going to add this every 3 weeks for cayenne pepper in the workout. I recommend it to anyone wanting to go extreme and push their limits.

wedge
06-09-10, 8:14 pm
I like playing around with my squats. I think I'll give these a try on leg day next week.

Fury317
06-09-10, 8:29 pm
Try super setting with BB or machine pullovers. This was a "golden era" staple to expanding the rib cage and looking more full on side chest shots. If it actually expands the rib cage is debatable, but look at some of the physiques that do/did it....

mcbeast
06-09-10, 9:35 pm
If you utilize the 20 Rep Breathers properly there is only one word I can use to descirbe the experience..

PAIN

Have fun.

Kuclo
06-10-10, 2:54 pm
i've been doing a little reading on the old tom platz 20 rep breathing squats.
any thoughts about it?
anyone tried it?

Im a big advocate of high rep crazy type stuff for quads... legs are one muscle you can beat up harder than any other on your body.
You want them to grow 20 rep sets are the way to go.

rockyIV
06-11-10, 12:20 pm
If you utilize the 20 Rep Breathers properly there is only one word I can use to descirbe the experience..

PAIN

Have fun.

Agreed. I've been dropping the weight on leg workouts to save my legs for my triathlon training of biking and running and it's f'ing brutal. 225# x 20 is hard as hell. My old max was 405# back in the day. If I were doing heavy weight for reps now it would probably be 315# you think that 225# is a warmup set for me how bad can it be? Try it and find out.