PDA

View Full Version : Too young for the Anabolic Diet?

Joe J
06-10-10, 3:22 pm
Hey animals, I was thinking about taking on the anabolic diet as I have heard great things about how it can help me lower bf% but still pack on muscle. However, I am only 16 and think that this strict dieting may be a bit far for someone of my age, and it may be best to continue to just eat an all round healthy diet? What are your thoughts?

Aggression
06-10-10, 3:40 pm
At 16, my personal opinion would be to just eat big and train hard. Build up a nice base of muscle mass right now and then worry about specific diets later on down the road. At this point, don't over complicate things. Just eat and train.

Joe J
06-10-10, 3:43 pm
My thoughts exactly, thanks Aggression.

IronWilson
06-10-10, 7:54 pm
Are you obese right now? If so, it would benefit you to diet down first before you bulk up. other than that, just eat and gain.

C.Coronato
06-11-10, 7:21 am
Just stick with the basics my man. Keep it simple, at your age its hard to stick a certain type of diet like that. Try to eat clean and make good choices. Get your solid meals in there the best you can brother.

auburn_1984
06-11-10, 7:49 am
Are these the books that pertain to the anabolic diet?

Powerlifter Anabolic Diet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...SIN=0967989620

Body Builder Anabolic Diet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...SIN=0967989612

What is the big difference between the two books? Also how did everyone determine there calorie needs for this type of diet i.e. maintenance calorie needs? I read on the anabolic solution website that you should base you calorie needs off of 18 x your bw. That being said for a 200 lb person he should be taking in roughly 3600 calories on both no carb and carb up days?

Joe J
06-11-10, 9:00 am
Are you obese right now? If so, it would benefit you to diet down first before you bulk up. other than that, just eat and gain.

No I am not obese right now, i'd just like the maintain a low BF% but add on a lot of muscle. I'm 9% BF.

Are these the books that pertain to the anabolic diet?

Powerlifter Anabolic Diet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...SIN=0967989620

Body Builder Anabolic Diet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...SIN=0967989612

What is the big difference between the two books? Also how did everyone determine there calorie needs for this type of diet i.e. maintenance calorie needs? I read on the anabolic solution website that you should base you calorie needs off of 18 x your bw. That being said for a 200 lb person he should be taking in roughly 3600 calories on both no carb and carb up days?

They are the books yes, and yes your calorific needs are 18 x your bw. This is the same on no carbs and carb up days. :)

Aggression
06-11-10, 9:14 am
Just hit up a clean bulk diet right now, Joe. Worry about those 'special diets' later in the game. Stick to the basics now. If you start gaining fat, then pull back on the carb intake or do a bit of cardio postWO. No problems.

Joe J
06-11-10, 10:33 am
Cheers man!
I'm going to add some fatty red meats into my diet now for the first time ever to rack up the size! :)

IronWilson
06-11-10, 11:10 am
No I am not obese right now, i'd just like the maintain a low BF% but add on a lot of muscle. I'm 9% BF.

At 9% bodyfat it is perfect for you to bulk. You have a good start.

LegendKillerJosh
06-11-10, 11:45 am
I'm not familiar with this particular diet, but if it is in fact just a diet, what can be the harm? As long as you aren't taking any questionable supplements and just eating a lot of anabolic foods (steak, potatoes, chicken, rice, eggs etc.) it can't be bad right?

Aggression
06-11-10, 11:48 am
I'm not familiar with this particular diet, but if it is in fact just a diet, what can be the harm? As long as you aren't taking any questionable supplements and just eating a lot of anabolic foods (steak, potatoes, chicken, rice, eggs etc.) it can't be bad right?

The anabolic diet calls for high protein high fats during the week, no carbs. And on the weekend, load up with carbs and minimal protein/fats. I'm not sure of the EXACT diet, but I know its loosely based on this principle. The point is to 'gain mass and cut bodyfat' at the same time by rotating the macros. At 16, I don't think this is necessary at all.

Preston
06-11-10, 11:52 am
The anabolic diet calls for high protein high fats during the week, no carbs. And on the weekend, load up with carbs and minimal protein/fats. I'm not sure of the EXACT diet, but I know its loosely based on this principle. The point is to 'gain mass and cut bodyfat' at the same time by rotating the macros. At 16, I don't think this is necessary at all.

When you say "load up" on the carbs are we talking 350-400 Sat/Sun; something like that?

B Con
06-11-10, 11:54 am
At 16, my personal opinion would be to just eat big and train hard. Build up a nice base of muscle mass right now and then worry about specific diets later on down the road. At this point, don't over complicate things. Just eat and train.

This 110%

auburn_1984
06-11-10, 12:23 pm
This is what I got from online research. If you are trying to cut shoot for 1 carb up day instead of 2. Check out this website http://stronglifts.com/anabolic-diet-101-the-definite-anabolic-diet-guide/

Determine Caloric Needs. Rule of thumb is your BW x 18kcal, but the Cunningham Equation is more accurate. Read this post.

12 Days No Carbs. Eat proteins & fats only for 12 days. This forces your body to use fat for energy. After these 12 days, eat carbs for 2 days on. Then alternate 5 days no carbs and 2 days carbs.

No Carbs Days. 40% protein, 60% fat, 25g carbs max. The carbs should come from foods like veggies, eggs, meat, … No oats or rice or milk.

Carbs Days. 15% protein, 25% fat, 60% carbs. So 60% of your calories should come from carbs. These will fill your carb stores.

It takes about 4 weeks to adapt to the Anabolic Diet. Expect stomach issues, moodiness, tiredness, … Don’t give up. All of this will go away if you stick with the Anabolic Diet.

Example Meal Plan: No Carbs Days. Usually Monday to Friday. Eat protein & fat only, avoid carbs. For inspiration, read the Anabolic Diet food list.

Breakfast. Whole eggs, bacon, spinach.
Snack. Italian or french cheese.
Lunch. Ground round, broccoli, olive oil.
Snack. Italian or Spanish ham.

Post Workout. Whey, olive oil.

Dinner. Mackerel, salad, olive oil, cheese cubes.

Pre Bed. French cheese, ground flax seeds, fish oil.

Example Meal Plan: Carbs Days. Usually Saturday & Sunday. Best is to avoid training on these days since the high carb intake tends to cause tiredness.

Breakfast. Oats, raisins, milk.
Snack. Lots of fruit.
Lunch. Chicken breast, quinoa, spinach.
Snack. Lots of fruit.

Dinner. Whole grain pasta, tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese.

Pre Bed. Cottage cheese, berries, ground flax seeds, fish oil.

auburn_1984
06-11-10, 12:25 pm
Here is the Ultimate Anabolic Diet Food List to help create your meal plan.

http://stronglifts.com/the-ultimate-anabolic-diet-food-list-101-foods-you-can-eat/

Aggression
06-11-10, 12:30 pm
When you say "load up" on the carbs are we talking 350-400 Sat/Sun; something like that?

Honestly, I'm not sure of the amounts. I know you can easily find it posted somewhere on the net. And now I see its posted above ^

LegendKillerJosh
06-11-10, 12:30 pm
I've never been one who believes in any gimmick diets. At 16 and 9% bodyfat, my guess is you want to bulk up. Why save carbs for the weekends? Eat plenty of carbs everyday and train heavy brother, you'll get where you want. Their is no fast way or easy way, just years of paying dues. I'm glad at 16 you are enthusiastic about weight training but if you don't have fun with it you'll burn out. Just train heavy, stick to compound exercises and don't try any crazy tactics (especially keto which I see a lot of young kids doing) just eat big and train big and if you feel you are getting "fat" cut back a little. I would eat high protein, high fat AND high carbs ALL THE TIME!

Preston
06-11-10, 12:36 pm
Honestly, I'm not sure of the amounts. I know you can easily find it posted somewhere on the net. And now I see its posted above ^

Yeah these guys are too fast any more. lol

Joe J
06-11-10, 12:47 pm
I think that starving myself of carbs throughout the week won't do me any good for gaining the mass that I want, so i'm gonna leave it. Thanks guys.

Howitzer
06-22-10, 1:44 am
Don't starve yourself of anything. If you're 9% body fat right now, and age 16, you probably should just eat clean. Fat rich foods are good at your age, maybe 30-35% of your dietary calories, because not only is fat an energy source, it's also the raw material for hormones (like testosterone!). At age 16, you have a high level of testosterone in your body. Feed it! Feed your body the raw materials it needs. Carbs too! You are in the prime building stage of your life. You haven't been able to grow relatively as much muscle mass as you are now since you were a toddler (if you could weight train a toddler, watch out, those fuckers double their weight every other day it seems.)

Cheers guy. Don't do any advanced cycling (my humble opinion). Don't starve yourself. Listen to the old...er guys. Eat clean, lift iron.

theharjmann
06-22-10, 4:24 am
Hey animals, I was thinking about taking on the anabolic diet as I have heard great things about how it can help me lower bf% but still pack on muscle. However, I am only 16 and think that this strict dieting may be a bit far for someone of my age, and it may be best to continue to just eat an all round healthy diet? What are your thoughts?

hello mate, for what its worth, i have a 16 year old nephew who has been training solidly for 8 months now.

I have stressed to him NOT to take any supplements because there is absolutely no need to. He takes whey protein shakes but i wouldnt really count that as a supplement...by supplements i mean creatine, pre workout boosters, fat burners etc.

He trains 3 days a week on the following split:

DAY 1 - Chest, delts, triceps
DAY 2 - Back, biceps, abs
DAY 3 - Legs, calves

It is important from a young age to train ALL bodyparts equally. That way when you get older you will not be struggling with a lagging bodypart...TRUST me you don't want that...it is annoying as hell. Plus you will be much bigger when you are older if you train all bodyparts now.

The main thing that i stress to him however is to ensure that his diet is spot on, which it is. He eats 6 meals a day consisting of 30-40g protein from a good source (whey powder/fish/eggs/meat), 50-60g carbs (rice/bread/potatoes/pasta) and 20g of fat. That is about 500-600 calories in each meal. In between meals he gorges on whatever he wants which is usually a big glass of milk for added calories. He loves his bacon and sausages so i tell him to eat as many as he wants now while he can without turning into a fat lump!

His lifts have gone up very well. 8 months ago he was benching an empty bar. Today he is benching 60kg for reps. 8 months ago he was deadlifting 50kg. Today he is deadlifting 130kg for reps. He is still getting stronger week by week.

These are BIG improvements that have been made from a good diet and lots of sleep. And the best thing about it all is that because he is so young and has a fiery metabolism he is able to maintain his 6 pack (lucky fucker lol).

My point is mate that you are young. Your sole aim should be to lift big and eat big. Start getting strong, and the muscles will follow.

REMEMBER NOT TO USE SLOPPY FORM THOUGH as so many young guns do in order to impress their mates. I was a culprit of this myself when i was 16. This will just result in injury and problems later on in life.

Good luck

auburn_1984
07-03-10, 10:56 am
Does this numbers look fine for the diet? 37.3 % protein 59.9 % fat and 2.8 % carb. It calls for minimum 40% protien and i cant get to that number with going over on the fat percentages it could be do to the 73% ground beef that i buy thought.

GJN5002
07-06-10, 11:40 am
Does this numbers look fine for the diet? 37.3 % protein 59.9 % fat and 2.8 % carb. It calls for minimum 40% protien and i cant get to that number with going over on the fat percentages it could be do to the 73% ground beef that i buy thought.

thats right on