PDA

View Full Version : How many pounds of protein powder do you go through a month?

Big Calves
06-11-10, 12:11 am
I just saw this in BB.com and I was wondering how much do animals go threw! A 5lbs whey could easily last me MONTHS! I do at least 30-100g of protein OVER my body weight a day. And I take casein before bed. I had no idea people took so much protein shakes everyday!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=502911691&posted=1#post502911691

adidas
06-11-10, 5:51 am
lets see I take 62grams of protein powder in atleast 5 days a week right now...so thats 2.2oz a day...times 30 days a month (for ease of math), so thats 66oz a month divided by 16oz...4lbs a month right now it appears...if I did ALL of math right...

Big Wides
06-11-10, 6:54 am
I bought a 6lb tub of protein back in February and am only half way through it. I prefer to get my stuff through acutal meals rather than shakes.

BobbyB11
06-11-10, 12:35 pm
5lbs of whey usually lasts me a month and a half to 2 months, depending on how many wholefood meals i eat. More whole food, less whey.

Beowulf
06-11-10, 12:49 pm
I bought a 6lb tub of protein back in February and am only half way through it. I prefer to get my stuff through acutal meals rather than shakes.

Ditto.

PIJW
06-11-10, 12:53 pm
I have have a 5lb tub last me a couple months or a month depending on how busy work is. To if we are busy and i have meeting day in and day out its easier and nicer to the people around me to just drink a 50g shake over a plate of food during a meeting in a small room. Like atm we are at the end of a testing cycle and that means i am busy for the next month or so finish that up and prepare for the next stream of testing so i drink a shake either 1 or twice a day to replace 1 or 2 meals just to be nice to my co-workers that have to be in a meeting with me during my FOOOOOD time. But once it slows down i am back to whole meals and a shake is very rare maybe before bed.

adidas
06-11-10, 12:58 pm
well I would count my protein powders as whole food myself...since it is a mix of Whole Egg Powder (dehydrated egg basically), Beef Protein Isolate and Milk Protein Isolate...then I mix in frozen strawberries and Coconut milk...

dannynb
06-11-10, 1:00 pm
I go through a 6lb tub every few months. Now a 10lb bag of Real Gains I go through a month...I drink up to 2 shakes a day along with my meals trying to get in all the extra cals I can.

Funky
06-11-10, 1:09 pm
I buy 5 lb tubs and use a meal replacement in the morning put them together I go through a bit of powder. I prefer to try to get 5 to 6 of my meals from whole foods then 2 or 3 from "shakes" The meal replacement to me is more than a shake but it is powder!

Mr. Dead
06-11-10, 1:09 pm
For me, it depends on if I'm cutting or bulking... If I'm cutting, I may go through 2 lbs in a month... Bulking, it can be double or triple that, depending on my needs...

Funky
06-11-10, 1:10 pm
For me, it depends on if I'm cutting or bulking... If I'm cutting, I may go through 2 lbs in a month... Bulking, it can be double or triple that, depending on my needs...

Dead just IV's the protein!

Mr. Dead
06-11-10, 1:19 pm
Dead just IV's the protein!

Nah... Just aminos... I go through a LOT of EAA Stack and BCAA Stack... *LOL*

JUGGERNAUT
06-11-10, 1:34 pm
I bought a 16lb Ultra Whey Pro VAN, I should be good for a bit.

Funky
06-11-10, 1:45 pm
I bought a 16lb Ultra Whey Pro VAN, I should be good for a bit.

That should last you what 2 weeks lol

JUGGERNAUT
06-11-10, 1:51 pm
That should last you what 2 weeks lol

Yes, because I consider it whole food and it goes nicely with meals...

Funky
06-11-10, 4:55 pm
Yes, because I like food and did I mention I really like food...

Are you talking about food again??

Big Calves
06-12-10, 11:35 pm
So you guys use whey as meal replacements?! I guess I need to start taking more shakes with my foods. How many grams of protein per shake do you guys do?

Big Wides
06-13-10, 11:58 am
So you guys use whey as meal replacements?! I guess I need to start taking more shakes with my foods. How many grams of protein per shake do you guys do?

Before you start adding shakes with your meals, how many grams of protein are in your current meals? What is your average meal? If you are consuming enough protein during your whole food meals, there should be no reason to add shakes on top of meals. Would only use them as a meal itself. What I tend to do, is eat whole foods for Meals 1-3, have a shake as Meal 4, then whole foods Meals 5-6

charlievanriper
06-13-10, 12:03 pm
Like Wides said I prefer to get 90% from real food, Supps are Supplements. I usually go thru a 2 lb every month and that includes my wifes daily shakes. Jeez 5 or 6 lbs would last me half the yr lol.

The only adjustment to that is during this Keto cycle. From late Friday to saturday evening I have 1 scoop ( 24 g with Carbo Gain) every 2 hrs, So right now I could will probably be going thru a 2 lbr every 2 weeks.

Legacy
06-13-10, 3:44 pm

I go through a 3 lb jug in a month and a half. I only use protein powders as a replacement when I do not have the ability of whole food at the moment. I try to eat as much whole food as possible without relying on supps. Only a staple when i miss a meal or need a few extra calories

J-Dawg
06-13-10, 4:00 pm
Nah... Just aminos... I go through a LOT of EAA Stack and BCAA Stack... *LOL*

x2. I go through tubs of BCAA Stack pretty quickly lol.