PDA

View Full Version : want to get big

Taliban hunter
06-11-10, 5:50 pm
hi
everyone im currently deployed to afghanistan and we have a small gym here. all we have is dumbells barbells a few benches and some leg press machines i want to know workouts that will help me get big and lean. I have been working out now for 4 weeks and need to change my workout exercises. It seeems to be getting boring doing the same thing over and over again. I currently take Animal pak and animal stak along with whey. Can some one send me a link to some really good workouts.

Robin
06-12-10, 5:38 am
Hey

Do you have a squat rack?

If so I would stick to the compund movements, Squat, Deadlift, Bench and millitary presses.
This would pack alot of muscle on you, and you will get strong.

A workout I can recommend, that made my platus explode and at the same time gave me some mass. (It not a BB routine, but it is still going to slap some muslce on you).

http://www.vicjg.com/aspx/madcowint.aspx

Its an awsome workout routine and only 3 days a week.
If you wanna make it more varible each workout, then If you have the recoures to get chains then hook em on and get worked.

Hope it helps.

Robin

Legacy
06-12-10, 9:37 am
Hey

Do you have a squat rack?

If so I would stick to the compund movements, Squat, Deadlift, Bench and millitary presses.
This would pack alot of muscle on you, and you will get strong.

A workout I can recommend, that made my platus explode and at the same time gave me some mass. (It not a BB routine, but it is still going to slap some muslce on you).

http://www.vicjg.com/aspx/madcowint.aspx

Its an awsome workout routine and only 3 days a week.
If you wanna make it more varible each workout, then If you have the recoures to get chains then hook em on and get worked.

Hope it helps.

Robin

Thats the bill starr 5x5 program, great program. If you have a barbell, I would stick to Olympic Lifting. Learn proper techniques and build a program with it, tremendous benefits.

Robin
06-12-10, 10:49 am
Thats the bill starr 5x5 program, great program. If you have a barbell, I would stick to Olympic Lifting. Learn proper techniques and build a program with it, tremendous benefits.

Yeah its great, and I agree olympic liftning would be nice aswell.

Robin

braves561
06-12-10, 1:30 pm
Olympic lifts are VERY VERY hard to learn proper technique on. Without a coach, you're in for weeks upon weeks of trying to teach yourself and you are risking injury.

Legacy
06-12-10, 1:43 pm
Olympic lifts are VERY VERY hard to learn proper technique on. Without a coach, you're in for weeks upon weeks of trying to teach yourself and you are risking injury.

Yes they are hard to do, but if you can learn the technique to them, they have tremendous benefits for your body.

zubda345
06-12-10, 4:15 pm
What's the advantage of Olympic lifts? I once did simple weight lifting It went good...

mcbeast
06-12-10, 4:24 pm
What's the advantage of Olympic lifts? I once did simple weight lifting It went good...

Whats simple weight lifting? Cheat curls, 1/4 rep squats and top partial rep benching?

Listen brotha. Eat big as you can. Train hard as you can. Following an olympic lifting program will beef you up a bit. It will also make you stronger all round. An as a soldier, thats the kinda shit we need you know? Other then some oly lifts. Stick to compound movements. Bench, Squat, Deads, Pushpress. You can do some of that pretty boy shit on the side to feel good. But, if you want to get big and strong stick to the basics.

Also, push yourself during pt. It gets repetitive, but your building up endurance which is also gonna help you in the weight room.

Legacy
06-12-10, 9:18 pm

There are lots of benefits to Olympic Lifting. When do olympic lifts, you are using a large amount of muscle groups to use that weight. The muscle fibers must recruit from situations the body isn't use to. The more fibers you recruit, the better hormonal response your body will achieve. Your stimulating your entire body and overall is a great workout. It enhances your balance, coordination, and core strength. Think about the level of difficulty of each olympic lift and correlate it to how focused you need to be when doing them. The more you focus on doing the lift correctly, the more benefits you'll receive in the coordination and balance. Doing olympic lifts also helps strengthen not just muscle, but tendons and insertion points of muscles. This helps in preventing future injuries and keeping your body balanced.

In addition to what EXCESSIVE said, talibanhunter is a military man, olympic lifting makes you stronger overall and as a soldier, that is exactly the type of build talibanhunter could benefit from the most. Also incorporating a lot of compound moves is extremely beneficial too.

MrMonday
06-12-10, 9:20 pm
I don't see any benefits of learning the olympic lifts (pointless without a real coach anyway), unless you plan to become an olympic lifter. A traditional strength training routine would be ideal.

Legacy
06-12-10, 10:01 pm
I don't see any benefits of learning the olympic lifts (pointless without a real coach anyway), unless you plan to become an olympic lifter. A traditional strength training routine would be ideal.

I agree with you that you need to be taught olympic lifts, but to say there are no benefits from them is ridiculous. Sure a traditional strength training routine is fine, but when you want to switch things up and take your body through a different program, olympic lifting will do it. Do some clean and jerks and snatches and notice how much it will effect your body, it will tax your whole body.

If you've done them before and you noticed no effect, then they arn't for you obviously, but if you haven't done them yet, don't discredit them until you have tried.

prowrestler
06-12-10, 11:21 pm

yup

mcbeast
06-13-10, 12:33 am
I will throw this last piece out there before this thread gets too out of hand. First off, tbhunter is looking for advice. This thread isn't solely for the pros and cons of olympic lifting.

Second, olympic lifts have there place. I personally believe a soldier, or any individual who is highly active, where at times there lives depend on physical conditioning. This is to include firefighters, police etc. Olympic lifts recruit a tremendous amount of muscle fibers. They also activate fast twitch fibers, which are a necessity for the above listed. Oly lifts are also extremely physically taxing. I have never had a coach teach me any lifts, nor am I a hardcore advocate. But, I can tell you from experience that oly lifts will kick your ass if done properly. Ever done a high rep set of cleans? Try it and tell me how you feel.

Now tbhunter, as a fellow soldier I see the advice your asking and again I will put it how it is. Eat big. Train hard. Try to get as much rest as you can.
As far as lifting, keep it simple. Heavy deadlifts,squats,bench and pushpresses are the meat and potatoes. Add in some cleans and other olympic lifts and you will reap the benefits of those as well. Just take time to get the form down first. Best of luck on accomplishing your goals. If you need anything shoot me a pm. Stay safe, peace

Legacy
06-13-10, 1:11 am
I will throw this last piece out there before this thread gets too out of hand. First off, tbhunter is looking for advice. This thread isn't solely for the pros and cons of olympic lifting.

Second, olympic lifts have there place. I personally believe a soldier, or any individual who is highly active, where at times there lives depend on physical conditioning. This is to include firefighters, police etc. Olympic lifts recruit a tremendous amount of muscle fibers. They also activate fast twitch fibers, which are a necessity for the above listed. Oly lifts are also extremely physically taxing. I have never had a coach teach me any lifts, nor am I a hardcore advocate. But, I can tell you from experience that oly lifts will kick your ass if done properly. Ever done a high rep set of cleans? Try it and tell me how you feel.

Now tbhunter, as a fellow soldier I see the advice your asking and again I will put it how it is. Eat big. Train hard. Try to get as much rest as you can.
As far as lifting, keep it simple. Heavy deadlifts,squats,bench and pushpresses are the meat and potatoes. Add in some cleans and other olympic lifts and you will reap the benefits of those as well. Just take time to get the form down first. Best of luck on accomplishing your goals. If you need anything shoot me a pm. Stay safe, peace

I agree