PDA

View Full Version : Protein Myths!!!

Big Calves
06-12-10, 11:41 pm
Ok I need to get this shit straight cause everybody has something to say about it and its making me go f$%cking insane! So lets get this shit straight.

1) Does the body only absorb 25-30g of whey at a serving?!

2) If I eat 100g of protein but it's all threw food in one serving does it all get absorbed. I've read that 97% of what we eat gets absorbed! But if its wrong please let me know.

3) Does the body absorb more protein first thing in the morning and after workout?! If so how much more?

adidas
06-13-10, 2:11 am
all of this is based on the individual in question and has no definitive answer...

Joe J
06-13-10, 4:45 am
Everybody's body will be different, there is no precise grams of protein that will be absorbed at one particular time, but there is a limit. Personally, I don't know!

Machine
06-13-10, 5:52 pm
You have asked the most relevant question on this forum, in my view. So you see by the lack of respones that your question plagues the educated athlete the world over. The responses I have read so far are easy enough for me to get behind...they have some basis in reality. All dietary advices and regimens are specific to each person's digestive constutution, expidture, etc. One might say...each body is physiologically connected or similar...but environmental sydromes, sicknesses, and "normal" elemental atmsopheric responses to nutritional intake are dissimilar and could even be called absolutely unique to the individual.

The thing that angers me is the sheer lack of knowledge in the medical community relative to studies on overall protein intake. There are studies...but not so much directed at pure athletic performance.

How is it that there are successful vegiterian bodybuilders?

I think we can come up with some pretty astute theories of our own with the minds in this forum.

What do say we give it a try.

MACHINE

Joe J
06-13-10, 5:55 pm
You have asked the most relevant question on this forum, in my view. So you see by the lack of respones that your question plagues the educated athlete the world over. The responses I have read so far are easy enough for me to get behind...they have some basis in reality. All dietary advices and regimens are specific to each person's digestive constutution, expidture, etc. One might say...each body is physiologically connected or similar...but environmental sydromes, sicknesses, and "normal" elemental atmsopheric responses to nutritional intake are dissimilar and could even be called absolutely unique to the individual.

The thing that angers me is the sheer lack of knowledge in the medical community relative to studies on overall protein intake. There are studies...but not so much directed at pure athletic performance.

How is it that there are successful vegiterian bodybuilders?

I think we can come up with some pretty astute theories of our own with the minds in this forum.

What do say we give it a try.

MACHINE

I 100% agree here. I would love to know more than anything a precise medical examination and review to identify the optimum amount of protein intake daily to achieve perfect results which allow protein to not be wasted.

LegendKillerJosh
06-13-10, 6:35 pm
Who knows anything really? Maybe all that muscle I have gained in my past is not from the millions of steaks I've eaten but from the occassional vegetables that make their way to the dish. I don't know. But as far as how much protein - air on the side of caution. Too much > too little, right?

Joe J
06-13-10, 6:40 pm
Too much > too little, right?

I guess, but money is crazy tight, if I knew I was wasting any, I'd go nuts!

Machine
06-13-10, 7:55 pm
Who knows anything really? Maybe all that muscle I have gained in my past is not from the millions of steaks I've eaten but from the occassional vegetables that make their way to the dish. I don't know. But as far as how much protein - air on the side of caution. Too much > too little, right?

I tended to agree here fopr most of my life...and I dont disagree now. I just wonder about the affects of some of the mass protein / calorie regimens being touted out there. I know there is always a physiological bill to be paid at the end of the day. I also kn ow that the most effective and aggressively aimed studies talk about the connection between overall calories consumed daily...and mortality or life expectancy rates. They seem to point toward excessive caloric trending being a causal factor in reduction of productive life span.

I am totally convinced that the traditional bodybuilding nutritional model is intellectually lazy...I believe athletes would do well to consider timing and consistency of protein ahead of amount consumed.

MACHINE

Mattman33
06-13-10, 8:20 pm
I believe athletes would do well to consider timing and consistency of protein ahead of amount consumed.

MACHINE

Interesting post. I have a few minor health issues that prevent me from eating a lot of proteins like eggs, and red meat. I tried to initially add shakes to make up for the missing amounts of protein, but found that to be rather unpleasant. I am very strict about getting a good protein shake (like Torrent) post workout, as well as one right before I go to bed. I hope this thread continues, as it is one that really hits home for me.

Long live EAA Stack and BCAA Stack....

LegendKillerJosh
06-13-10, 10:51 pm
I tended to agree here fopr most of my life...and I dont disagree now. I just wonder about the affects of some of the mass protein / calorie regimens being touted out there. I know there is always a physiological bill to be paid at the end of the day. I also kn ow that the most effective and aggressively aimed studies talk about the connection between overall calories consumed daily...and mortality or life expectancy rates. They seem to point toward excessive caloric trending being a causal factor in reduction of productive life span.

I am totally convinced that the traditional bodybuilding nutritional model is intellectually lazy...I believe athletes would do well to consider timing and consistency of protein ahead of amount consumed.

MACHINE

Obviously there is soooo much more to what we look like than food consumed and even exercise regimen. For instance, I eat 6 meals per day (around 4000-4500 calories) and my friend who works out with me eats probably 4-5 meals per day and definitely far less calories than me. However, I weigh 210 and around 15% bf and he is 360 and probably 40%. How can this be? If the laws of nutrition were immutable we would all look the same.

Machine
06-13-10, 10:55 pm
Obviously there is soooo much more to what we look like than food consumed and even exercise regimen. For instance, I eat 6 meals per day (around 4000-4500 calories) and my friend who works out with me eats probably 4-5 meals per day and definitely far less calories than me. However, I weigh 210 and around 15% bf and he is 360 and probably 40%. How can this be? If the laws of nutrition were immutable we would all look the same.

Not sure I'm clear on your point here...

MACHINE

moreofme2kill
06-14-10, 12:01 am
i often wonder about the question at hand here too, and the other day i read an article in Consumer Reports about protein shakes, and in it a nutritionist stated that the human body on average can only utilize 9 grams of protein an hour. Now if this is true or not, i dunno, but you figure if ur eating every 3 hours, 9 grams an hour would equal 27 grams right? it sounded kinda low to me, but then again im no nutrition expert. regardless, i havent let this curb my eating. here is a link to part of the article, but the full article isnt online.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/overview/index.htm

Big Calves
06-14-10, 12:38 am
I kinda feel important cause machine commented on my post! Its like I've achieved a goal or something! And hey man keep up the good work!

See I agree that there isn't enough studies on protein but it is THE MOST important thing and nobody ever wants to talk about it that much. Like I eat 12 eggs in the morning and 2 oatmeals. Thats 100g of protein just for breakfast and if my body won't absorb that and money is being wasted then that would suck cause as a student and that kinda of shit can't happen. If food and proteins powders were cheap then I won't give a flying F#@Ck how much my body could absorb at one serving but sadly its not. But I guess the best way is to follow what the big guys do. Do you guys intake a 50g of whey protein after workout? How much of protein intake do you eat in a single serving of food?

adidas
06-14-10, 10:49 am
PWO out for me consist of any ONE of the following options right now:
1 can of tuna w/a dash of mayo
1 can of Salmon
1 can of sardines
1 can of kippered herring

thats it....

plus i work out at 11:30 and dont eat again after that untill somewhere around 1730/1800 or some times as late as 1900.

then I eat my full meals...10-12oz of meat, giant salads, basically I consume my days worth of calories between whenever I start to eat and finish eating about 4hrs after that time. (a 4 hour feeding window/ essentially based of the Warrior Diet in concept) and that generally ends up being around 100+g of protein during that time.

so far nothing but great results and I know i am eating more protein in my "sitting" than the prescribed 30-40g.

However my biggest complaint of the 30-40g per sitting crowd...is What the hell is a sitting?

LegendKillerJosh
06-14-10, 12:41 pm
Not sure I'm clear on your point here...

MACHINE

I'm saying there are so many factors out of our control. How can I eat so many more calories than my friend yet he weighs 150 more pounds than me? If there were definite answers to how much the body could absorb and all the others questions we are constantly asked than everyone would be ripped and huge. My point is there is no answer to how much protein someone can absorb. But if you are trying to get bigger than it's probably better to air on the side of caution and eat too much.

Unnatural Natural
06-15-10, 8:09 am
I suggest you eat and let your body take care of the rest. You don't want to bother with the specifics of diet, it will just make you crazy.

NJC_Manhattan
06-15-10, 8:20 am
Ok I need to get this shit straight cause everybody has something to say about it and its making me go f$%cking insane! So lets get this shit straight.

1) Does the body only absorb 25-30g of whey at a serving?!

2) If I eat 100g of protein but it's all threw food in one serving does it all get absorbed. I've read that 97% of what we eat gets absorbed! But if its wrong please let me know.

3) Does the body absorb more protein first thing in the morning and after workout?! If so how much more?

Harvard medical discussion on variety of protein:
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein-full-story/index.html

Yale medical discussion on amount of protein intake per individual:
http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition/advisor/protein.html

I'd take these guys probably know what they're talking about.

Optimus Prime
06-16-10, 11:25 am
all of this is based on the individual in question and has no definitive answer...

then how do we know wut to do??

adidas
06-16-10, 11:30 am
then how do we know wut to do??
trial and error on yourself. If its working then stick with it. if not make small changes till you find what does.