PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for input.

Loomis
06-13-10, 3:01 pm
Here is the routine I put together. Im hitting the gym every other day, i do 3 set each, 10 reps a set. last set is always to failure. I increase my weight every set anywhere between 2.5-5lbs. I figure if I go as hard and heavy as I can, while maintaining proper form, then I doing ok. most the time I only end up nailing about 5 or 6 reps on my last set.

A: Back / Bi
B: Chest / Tri
C: Shoulders / Traps
D: Legs / Abs

Back

Row Machine
Lat Pulldowns
Bent over Dumbbell Row
Stiff Leg Deadlifts (smith)

Bi’s

Dumbbell Curl
Incline Dumbbell Curl
EZ Bar Curls

Chest

Bench Press (smith)
Incline Bench Press (smith)
Incline Dumbbell Flyes
Cable Crossovers

Tri’s

Triceps Extensions
Triceps Kickbacks
Cable Pushdowns (Rope)
Dips (Machine)

Shoulders / Traps

Front Plate Raise
Side Lateral Raise
Seated Rear Raises (machine)
Shoulder Press (smith)
Upright Row (smith)
Shrugs

Legs

Leg Press (seated)
Leg Extensions
Leg Curl (seated)
Dead Lift (smith)
Calf Raises

Abs

Machine Crunch

I tend to use the smith machine, as I don’t have a lifting partner and I like to make sure my form is good.

You’ll notice that I don’t do any squats, and I realize that this is damn near illegal. But without thrown around bull shit, I just don’t feel comfortable doing them… maybe I’m not doing them right… I don’t f’n know.

On a side note, I am working out the kinks in my diet, as of right now I just try to eat as clean as possible.

Ok guys… let me hear it, brutal honesty is preferred.

Thanks.

Loomis
06-13-10, 3:19 pm
oh... and rest is 30sec each set, 1min between each exercise

mcbeast
06-13-10, 3:26 pm
Brutal honesty? I didnt even read your entire post. First thing I saw is that you dont squat. Big NO GO at THIS station. Unless you have legit medical reasons, you should be squatting. Front squat or back squat. Use hack squats as a secondary. Youtube offers plenty of squat demo's. Utilize them.

I looked over your split. Personally I think there is too much pretty boy shit in there. If your new at this game your goal is to add strength and mass. Ditch that pretty boy shit, and do things that will help you gain.

Example

Back- Pullups,Deadlifts,Sldl,Db Rows, Bb Rows, Pulldowns
Chest- Incline Bench, Flat Bench, Incline Db's, Flat Db's, Dips
Arms- Barbell Curls, Db Curls, Close Grip bench, dips, overhead extensions, skullcrushers
Legs- Back Squat, Front Squat, Hack Squat, Sldl
Shoulders- Mil Press, Pushpress, Power Shrugs, Heavy Lat Raises, Upright rows
Abs- Decline Situps, Situps, Ab Crunch w/rope

Unless you absolutely need the smith machine, stay away from it. Freeweights will help build your stabilizers much better then the smith. For things like benching, you need to overcome your fear of the bar. Same thing with squat. Think, if you get that weight up its not gonna crush you. Make sure you are using good form, and keep your ego at the door.

Best of luck, need anything else shoot me a pm.

REST- 45-120 seconds in between sets. Especially on the big exercises. More than a minute on exercises.

Also, you never stated what exactly your goals are. BB, Strongman, Pl related?

Legacy
06-13-10, 3:39 pm
What are your goals?

Joe J
06-13-10, 4:59 pm
The first thing I notice on first glance is that you miss out extremely important exercises such as squats. Unless you suffer from bad knees or other injuries there is no excuse to miss out on these things.

I second Legacy, what are your goals?

Muscleguy93
06-13-10, 6:24 pm
No squats and deadlifts on a smith...?

Wingman
06-13-10, 6:29 pm
No squats and deadlifts on a smith...?

x2...How do u DL on a smith? I mean wouldn't the bar kind of pull u back down? Can u explain how...lol im curious now.

C.Coronato
06-14-10, 9:58 am
Just keep it simple my man, dont worry about crazy routines or anything. Get your solid core lifts in, Bench, Dead, Squat, and Military. Branch off from there. Set a solid diet, and you will make progress brother.

Loomis
06-14-10, 2:48 pm
Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back.

But I got a question… what’s the definition of “pretty boy shit”? I’m not looking to be a f’n model or something. I work in corrections, being a pretty boy don’t fly (unless that’s your thing).

Looks like I have to retool this with K.I.S.S in mind.

As for my goals, real simple… as it stands I’m 5’6 @ 240, with a BF% that’s to f’n high. All I want is to be proud of my body; I don’t have any aspirations to go pro bb or power lifter. I want to be strong and fit…. And I wouldn’t mind being just a tad imposing.

I realize none of this happens over night, no shortcuts… just hard work intensity and dedication.

PIJW
06-14-10, 3:28 pm

But I got a question… what’s the definition of “pretty boy shit”? I’m not looking to be a f’n model or something. I work in corrections, being a pretty boy don’t fly (unless that’s your thing).

As for my goals, real simple… as it stands I’m 5’6 @ 240, with a BF% that’s to f’n high. All I want is to be proud of my body; I don’t have any aspirations to go pro bb or power lifter. I want to be strong and fit…. And I wouldn’t mind being just a tad imposing.

I realize none of this happens over night, no shortcuts… just hard work intensity and dedication.

KISS is the greatest tool, like TTL start simple and branch from there, don't follow the other guys in the gym doing 500 chest and bi routines. And as everyone has already preached on don't use smith unless you have too keep ego at the door. Only time i use it, is when everything else is taken and i am strapped for time, or i want to work on form, but that is only for Military press, upright row, or BB shurgs, i wll not bench, deadlift or SQUAT in the smith.

Legacy
06-14-10, 3:30 pm

Pretty boys are basically the beach boys. All they work is their arms and chest and "touch" their other body parts just too look good. You see them from the front and it looks like they have a good build from the waist up, then they turn to the side and they disappear or they turn their back and its as flat as a wall. They are the type of people who don't wanna lift heavy because it hurts. They don't train legs and if they do its not hard enough. Basically, they want to look good for the girls instead of training their entire body to function as one powerful and strong foundation. But what can you do man, people have their own goals for their own reasons, just gotta worry bout yourself.

Being in corrections I hear ya bro, tough job and you gotta deal with a lot of shit. You got a pretty damn big build for being 5'6" and 240, but if you say your bodyfat is too high, just cut back on the calories and see where you start to drop the fat lbs and maintain your muscle mass. Keep it basic, keep it simple, work your ass off.

msktyshha
06-14-10, 8:59 pm
Here is the routine I put together. Im hitting the gym every other day, i do 3 set each, 10 reps a set. last set is always to failure. I increase my weight every set anywhere between 2.5-5lbs. I figure if I go as hard and heavy as I can, while maintaining proper form, then I doing ok. most the time I only end up nailing about 5 or 6 reps on my last set.

A: Back / Bi
B: Chest / Tri
C: Shoulders / Traps
D: Legs / Abs

Back

Row Machine
Lat Pulldowns
Bent over Dumbbell Row
Stiff Leg Deadlifts (smith)

Bi’s

Dumbbell Curl
Incline Dumbbell Curl
EZ Bar Curls

Chest

Bench Press (smith)
Incline Bench Press (smith)
Incline Dumbbell Flyes
Cable Crossovers

Tri’s

Triceps Extensions
Triceps Kickbacks
Cable Pushdowns (Rope)
Dips (Machine)

Shoulders / Traps

Front Plate Raise
Side Lateral Raise
Seated Rear Raises (machine)
Shoulder Press (smith)
Upright Row (smith)
Shrugs

Legs

Leg Press (seated)
Leg Extensions
Leg Curl (seated)
Dead Lift (smith)
Calf Raises

Abs

Machine Crunch

I tend to use the smith machine, as I don’t have a lifting partner and I like to make sure my form is good.

You’ll notice that I don’t do any squats, and I realize that this is damn near illegal. But without thrown around bull shit, I just don’t feel comfortable doing them… maybe I’m not doing them right… I don’t f’n know.

On a side note, I am working out the kinks in my diet, as of right now I just try to eat as clean as possible.

Ok guys… let me hear it, brutal honesty is preferred.

Thanks.

why are you doing stiff legged deads on back day and plain deadlift on leg day, switch those around, and i don't think you require a spotter for deads, so why not use free weights instead of smith. maybe it's just me cause I have done shoulder surgery just 2 days ago but I think you are over working out your shoulder, stick to side laterals, military presses and rear laterals and shrugs for traps, I think front laterals and upright rows are useless, and always remember to properly warm up your rotators especially on chest and shoulder day.

Optimus Prime
06-15-10, 12:24 pm
my lady freinds tell me im qujite good lookin.pretty boy? i dunno. but whats wrong with goin with the body you want?? why do i need huge wheelz if im not gunna be a pro bodybuilder?

Legacy
06-15-10, 12:29 pm
my lady freinds tell me im qujite good lookin.pretty boy? i dunno. but whats wrong with goin with the body you want?? why do i need huge wheelz if im not gunna be a pro bodybuilder?

Good point. Its your body and your goals, absolutely nothing wrong with it. You don't need huge legs, but you do need to train your legs to keep your body balanced so it functions properly and maintains itself as you grow older.

Optimus Prime
06-15-10, 12:31 pm
Good point. Its your body and your goals, absolutely nothing wrong with it. You don't need huge legs, but you do need to train your legs to keep your body balanced so it functions properly and maintains itself as you grow older.

oh good pt. my freind also said training wheelz actually can make u grow faster. tru?

msktyshha
06-15-10, 1:12 pm
oh good pt. my freind also said training wheelz actually can make u grow faster. tru?

yeh it's the squats

Legacy
06-15-10, 3:40 pm

Yeah. When you train, you get acute and chronic responses from your hormonal system. All the anabolic hormones in the body (testosterone, insulin, igf, and growth hormones) influence the development of your muscles, bones, and connective tissues. So think about it, when you train large muscles, especially your legs, the amount of elevation in all the anabolic hormones from an acute and chronic responses are elevated.

And because I believe in scholar articles and cited texts from exercise physiologists and doctors to support points, here is a prime example taken from my strength and conditioning book.

Baechle, T.; Earle, R. Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, 3rd Edition, 2008.

"The magnitude of testosterone and growth hormones elevation is greatest when large muscle mass exercises are performed and during workouts with moderate to high intensity and volume and short rest intervals."

rockyIV
06-15-10, 4:02 pm
x2...How do u DL on a smith? I mean wouldn't the bar kind of pull u back down? Can u explain how...lol im curious now.

First thing I thought of. OP, Start squatting even if it is embarrassing. It will go up quick. Also play with the rep ranges and see what works for you. I like low reps of 4-6 for 5 sets on my compound lifts except legs which I go high reps with.

Optimus Prime
06-15-10, 5:27 pm
Yeah. When you train, you get acute and chronic responses from your hormonal system. All the anabolic hormones in the body (testosterone, insulin, igf, and growth hormones) influence the development of your muscles, bones, and connective tissues. So think about it, when you train large muscles, especially your legs, the amount of elevation in all the anabolic hormones from an acute and chronic responses are elevated.

And because I believe in scholar articles and cited texts from exercise physiologists and doctors to support points, here is a prime example taken from my strength and conditioning book.

Baechle, T.; Earle, R. Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, 3rd Edition, 2008.

"The magnitude of testosterone and growth hormones elevation is greatest when large muscle mass exercises are performed and during workouts with moderate to high intensity and volume and short rest intervals."

awsome,thnx maing.

Loomis
06-16-10, 4:31 pm
So I looked around and found some great info on squating basics. Doing some practice on my form and I'm looking forward to adding my first real sets of squats on my next leg day ( Friday).

On a side note... I never thought about warming up My rotators, how do I?

Legacy
06-16-10, 4:38 pm
So I looked around and found some great info on squating basics. Doing some practice on my form and I'm looking forward to adding my first real sets of squats on my next leg day ( Friday).

On a side note... I never thought about warming up My rotators, how do I?

When you say rotators, I am assuming rotator cuff?

If so, I believe the best way is through raises. Grab a 5lb weight and do 10 reps of front raises, 10 reps at a 45 degree angle raise, 10 reps side raise, 10 reps bent over raise. Make sure you retract your scapula during each rep. I do 2 sets of this and my shoulders and nice and warmed up. We used this for our baseball players strength program for post game cool downs and bullpen warm ups.

Loomis
06-17-10, 6:32 am
Cool, I'll do that.