PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Training Meal Ideas

PORTERHOUSE
06-23-10, 9:41 am
I've always gone with 2 slices Ezekiel or genesis bread, topped with either peanut or almond butter and drizzled w. honey. I would eat this about 2 hours pre training. Now that I'm getting ready to start gaining again, Im looking for a good pre training meal w. out fat, so that I can eat it closer to lifting. Anyone got any good ideas they are willing to share?

Legacy
06-23-10, 10:03 am
I've always gone with 2 slices Ezekiel or genesis bread, topped with either peanut or almond butter and drizzled w. honey. I would eat this about 2 hours pre training. Now that I'm getting ready to start gaining again, Im looking for a good pre training meal w. out fat, so that I can eat it closer to lifting. Anyone got any good ideas they are willing to share?

I eat a bowl of oatmeal 45 minutes pre workout. 60 something grams of carbs I believe. I don't eat protein or fats prior to working out, I've realized that my body just needs the carbs, so I rely on oatmeal. Allows me to last during my workouts, and I also drink my EAA Nitro during workout.

adidas
06-23-10, 10:16 am
Oatmeal + wheatgerm (1-2tbls) + brewers yeast (1-2 tbls) + FF milk + Honey (1-2tbls) and an ass load of cinnamon equals awesome work out!!!

everything you could want for a PreWO meal...great carb profile, amino acid profile and doesn't lack any minerals or vitamins!!!

theharjmann
06-23-10, 10:37 am
If you are gaining:

100g carbs from a good source (potatoes/rice/wholegrain bread/pasta)
50g protein from a good source (chicken/fish/egg whites)
Minimal fat.

If you dont mind being a fat shit then anything you want. McDonalds would work. As would KFC. As would a pizza.

Fearless Rabbit
06-23-10, 11:38 am
I`m getting one avocado 1-2hrs before workout. NO supplement right before. Seems good so far..

PORTERHOUSE
06-23-10, 11:43 am
If you dont mind being a fat shit then anything you want. McDonalds would work. As would KFC. As would a pizza.

haha not quite man.

Mazda 6
06-23-10, 11:53 am
2 choices for me:

If you are bulking: 300 gr. macaroni whole grain, 180 gr. beef fillet and broccoli + 1 tablespoon olive oil.

If you are on cutting period: 300 gr. potato, 10 egg whites and broccoli + 1 tablespoon olive oil.

Full of nutrients, protein, carbs and oil to have energy to train.

adidas
06-23-10, 12:16 pm
I`m getting one avocado 1-2hrs before workout. NO supplement right before. Seems good so far..

well I must say THAT is not exactly what the OP was asking for...he said low/no- fat...

avocados would eb teh complete opposite of that...lol although I agree they are great for PreWO IMO

adidas
06-23-10, 12:18 pm
Im looking for a good pre training meal w. out fat, so that I can eat it closer to lifting. Anyone got any good ideas they are willing to share?

what are people NOT understanding about this? srsly?

G Diesel
06-23-10, 12:38 pm
Oatmeal + wheatgerm (1-2tbls) + brewers yeast (1-2 tbls) + FF milk + Honey (1-2tbls) and an ass load of cinnamon equals awesome work out!!!

everything you could want for a PreWO meal...great carb profile, amino acid profile and doesn't lack any minerals or vitamins!!!

Agreed man... That is awesome preworkout fuel.

I often make my own gnarly bowl that mixes old fashioned oats, almond Ezekiel cereal, 5 grain hot cereal, milk, honey and cinnamon. Hasn't done me wrong yet.

Peace, G

Aggression
06-23-10, 12:42 pm

There was one time on college where I was forced to make do with what I had. I slammed down a whole rectangle worth of Ellio's pizza with diced chicken on top. I went into the gym and hit a PR on chest without even trying, haha.

My usual preWO meal is 8oz chicken and 1/2 cooked quinoa right now. I throw down a handful of dry roasted nuts as well, but you can easily avoid that. I just started eating quinoa this week as per a suggestion from TTL. Its very easy on the system and its a nice switch from potatoes/rice.

Mazda 6
06-23-10, 12:55 pm
About fats...

Think to use fat from post workout meal for energy and your carbs to maintain your insulin levels up to protect your muscle tissue.

If you don't want fats, simply don't eat that 1 tablespoon of olive oil!!!

theharjmann
06-23-10, 3:28 pm
haha not quite man.

There was one time on college where I was forced to make do with what I had. I slammed down a whole rectangle worth of Ellio's pizza with diced chicken on top. I went into the gym and hit a PR on chest without even trying, haha.

My usual preWO meal is 8oz chicken and 1/2 cooked quinoa right now. I throw down a handful of dry roasted nuts as well, but you can easily avoid that. I just started eating quinoa this week as per a suggestion from TTL. Its very easy on the system and its a nice switch from potatoes/rice.

haha i knew this would stir some emotion lol.

agreed though. the days i eat a dirty KFC meal (which is usally leg day) is the day i have the best session, and yeah, will usually hit any PRs.

LegendKillerJosh
06-23-10, 3:41 pm
haha i knew this would stir some emotion lol.

agreed though. the days i eat a dirty KFC meal (which is usally leg day) is the day i have the best session, and yeah, will usually hit any PRs.

lol I've had everything from oats and eggs to 3 hot dogs on buns as preworkout fuel. Sometimes you just gotta go with what you got. In an ideal world all my meals would be perfectly timed and the right foods at the right times but that sometimes is impossible. I like pasta before a workout with some tomato sauce and lean ground beef. Not a whole boat load, just enough to feel full, and I still wait a couple hours to train. I don't eat less than an hour and a half before workouts. If I'm training in the morning I'll usually just have a couple pieces of toast and a couple cups of low fat chocolate milk. If I train in the afternoon or evening I never know what I'll eat. Could be chicken and rice, could be a ham sandwich. I don't get too concerned about my preworkout meal. It's after my workouts I am meticulous about.

PORTERHOUSE
06-23-10, 4:22 pm
lol I've had everything from oats and eggs to 3 hot dogs on buns as preworkout fuel. Sometimes you just gotta go with what you got. In an ideal world all my meals would be perfectly timed and the right foods at the right times but that sometimes is impossible. I like pasta before a workout with some tomato sauce and lean ground beef. Not a whole boat load, just enough to feel full, and I still wait a couple hours to train. I don't eat less than an hour and a half before workouts. If I'm training in the morning I'll usually just have a couple pieces of toast and a couple cups of low fat chocolate milk. If I train in the afternoon or evening I never know what I'll eat. Could be chicken and rice, could be a ham sandwich. I don't get too concerned about my preworkout meal. It's after my workouts I am meticulous about.

I agree w. you man, post work out nutrition is much more important. Im just looking for some fresh idea's, Im getting pretty excited to start gaining again, and i love trying out new shit.

Unfortunately Im going to be couped up in classrooms for the majority of my morning-afternoons during this gain. So Im going to have to find a good, consistent meal I can pack w.me. Another idea I have been toying with is maybe just tacking on a PBJ to my gainer shake. I could whip those out in class and chow down pretty easily. That'd be my biggest meal of the day @ 900 calories, mix of carbs,protein, and fats, but I figure that'd digest into a pretty good workout a few hours later (~2) when I get out and train. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

NJC_Manhattan
06-23-10, 4:29 pm
One of the best pre training things I've ever had;

2 pieces Ezekiel bread
2 tbsp almond butter
1 small banana

Slice the banana and make a PBB sandwich. Crush that 1hr before you lift. Supps 30-40 mins before. Sip a BCAA or EAA thing during. Then get your whey/carbs/Glutamine/whatever post workout.

I even eat that thing on a cut to make sure Im not going catatonic

LegendKillerJosh
06-23-10, 4:37 pm
I agree w. you man, post work out nutrition is much more important. Im just looking for some fresh idea's, Im getting pretty excited to start gaining again, and i love trying out new shit.

Unfortunately Im going to be couped up in classrooms for the majority of my morning-afternoons during this gain. So Im going to have to find a good, consistent meal I can pack w.me. Another idea I have been toying with is maybe just tacking on a PBJ to my gainer shake. I could whip those out in class and chow down pretty easily. That'd be my biggest meal of the day @ 900 calories, mix of carbs,protein, and fats, but I figure that'd digest into a pretty good workout a few hours later (~2) when I get out and train. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I eat double decker pb&j's everyday. It is pretty heavy for preworkout though (2 spoons of pb has about 30g of fat) and a gainer shake added to that would be quite a bit, but I say go for it! If you are looking to gain weight that will do it. And a lot of people might say "yeah you'll gain weight but it won't be muscle" BULLSHIT you'll gain muscle eating big like this.

rev8ball
06-23-10, 4:37 pm
2 hrs before workout: 10 oz. of lean chicken, steak, or fish, 1 baked potato/yam or 1C of raw oatmeal, 1 C NF milk, and salad or steamed vegetables.

30 mins: EAA Stack with Carbs.

Pizzalamp
06-23-10, 5:16 pm
what olympic athletes eat
oatmeal mixed w applesauce mixed w berries cinnomon and egg white omlette

fat inteferes with NO supplements

G Diesel
06-23-10, 5:23 pm

Tough to argue with that meal. I like it, though I'd probably keep the berries and applesauce separate from the oats and cinnamon. I love fresh fruit but don't like it warm.

Peace, G

Unnatural Natural
06-23-10, 5:30 pm
Eat fats.

(Unless you're using NO supplements.)

PORTERHOUSE
06-23-10, 6:00 pm

fat inteferes with NO supplements

That sounds like a pretty legit meal. Might have to try that one out.

I have never heard that about NO supplements and Fats. How far should they be separated?

PORTERHOUSE
06-23-10, 6:02 pm

This sounds pretty freakin' awesome too, except I am unfamiliar with wheatgerm/brewers yeast. Can I buy those pretty much anywhere?

Pizzalamp
06-23-10, 6:57 pm
Tough to argue with that meal. I like it, though I'd probably keep the berries and applesauce separate from the oats and cinnamon. I love fresh fruit but don't like it warm.

Peace, G

big daddy g diesel-i eat it cold...i keep the ingredients in the fridge and everything is nice and chilled when i mix it up

Pizzalamp
06-23-10, 6:59 pm
That sounds like a pretty legit meal. Might have to try that one out.

I have never heard that about NO supplements and Fats. How far should they be separated?

thats what ive always been taught and though trial n error i tend to agree...i would think to keep the pre workout meal fat free and have fats in the other meals

adidas
06-23-10, 7:37 pm
This sounds pretty freakin' awesome too, except I am unfamiliar with wheatgerm/brewers yeast. Can I buy those pretty much anywhere?

Wheatgerm is in the cereal aisle at most grocery stores...typically top shelf near the expensive oatmeals...ironically it, it self is not expensive...

Brewersyeast I typcailly get from vitaminshoppe...but I am sure 99% of the health food stores carry it.

Survivor831
07-01-10, 9:34 pm
Once I saw Ronnie Coleman eat his egg white and grits, I had to try it. Once I did, I was hooked. I don't eat it all the time, but about 90% of the time, thats what I'm having. Good stuff.

HOCKEY TEMPER
07-01-10, 11:58 pm
I have huge OCD about pre-workout meals. I won't train if I haven't ate for more than 1 and a 1/2 hours. Or if my pre-workout meal was garbage.

I like to eat a lot before I lift. An hour before I usually do 8 0z steak with 1/2 cup brown rice, and maybe a banana. Or 8 0z chicken with 8 0z sweet potato, and some kind of fruit. Then I start sipping my amino's right when I get to the gym.

Post-workout is usually 2 scoops whey with 30grams of waxy maze in water or milk and maybe some glutamine or vitamin C thrown in. Followed by a meal similar to my pre-workout meal an hour after that shake.

AntoineV
07-02-10, 7:13 pm

Usually I eat a big meal an hour before preparing to the gym. Meat + slow carbs...

then before going to the gym I use 1 scoop whey with my supplementation. I Add a packet of oatmeal or a banana in there most of the time.

ionicrod
07-06-10, 2:37 pm
I have never over thought my pre workout meal, about 1 1/2 before lifting about 50gs protein from meat and about 60gs of carbs (rice, pasta, potatoe) then on the way to the gym i have a protein shake, with carbs in it, and some preworkout powder.... i like it

Aggression
07-06-10, 2:39 pm
lately I've been eating 8oz chicken and 5oz baked potato with a handful of dry roasted peanuts at least an hour before training. About 20min preWO, I have Shock Therapy mixed with EAA Nitro for some extra carbs preWO. Its been working out well so far.