PDA

View Full Version : going extrmely heavy, then gradually work to light

Joseph V
06-28-10, 2:46 am
for calves i found the best stimulation is to go extremely heavy and pushing the wegiht up to 10-12 reps,..

maybe you guys have a tip or two for my point in training calves

from my research of training my own calves which i wasnt genetically gifted in size there although i find that i have decent muscle bellys for my calves which i believe with alot of hard work, maybe i have a fighting chance to help them grow

whats your take on this ...

jonflex
06-28-10, 5:47 am
with calfs ive found that keeping thereps high with medium weight works the best...

high volume has helps them more than anything for me.... really strechs out the muscles bellies

Legacy
06-28-10, 10:06 am
I hit calves twice per week. One day hit them heavy, the other day i hit them with higher reps. Mine have been growing from this. I only use 2 exercises too, seated raised and standing raise.

Joseph V
06-28-10, 12:08 pm
its that my calves feel recovered..no matter how heavy i go its like the next day they didnt feel a thing..

could this mean that they need ass whooping!!! lmao

i just love and feel that they grow with heavy fuckin sets..but my instincts tell me to add 2 to 3 medium weight sets and just blast the shit outta my calves

G Diesel
06-28-10, 12:22 pm
its that my calves feel recovered..no matter how heavy i go its like the next day they didnt feel a thing..

could this mean that they need ass whooping!!! lmao

i just love and feel that they grow with heavy fuckin sets..but my instincts tell me to add 2 to 3 medium weight sets and just blast the shit outta my calves

Use a diverse rep range and full range of motion--full stretch to full contraction.

Do some really heavy sets and try burnout sets in the 50 rep range, using a variety of equipment. And try training them multiple times per week, just not when they are still sore from your last session.

For many of us, growing calves takes extreme measures, so don't hesitate to get extreme. I trained mine 3x last week.

Peace, G

Loomis
06-28-10, 2:40 pm
I was born with severe club feet (yup both of them). By the time I was 4 every thing was pretty well fixed...with the help of surgery, casts, and special shoes. I have been fortunate enough to live a normal life. My few remaining problems are weak ankles and a really poor range of motion. I try my damndest to work my calves hard, but is a huge challenge. Any suggestions??? I normally do a seated calf raise on a leg press machine, 3 x 10 @ 150. Normally by the end my feet hurt like a mother, I'm not really sure why.

whysosrs
06-28-10, 3:28 pm
if you weren't born with calves, the only way to grow them is complete srs training methods. heavy sets, light sets, medium sets, high reps, low reps, in between reps. srs training will get you there.

Survivor831
06-28-10, 3:58 pm
Higher reps seem to work the best for most people I talk to. I have been doing moderate weight that I can handle for 10 fairly easy reps than I will do 10 half reps followed again by 10 full range sets, etc. I will stop when I can't do anymore.

BellaVega
06-28-10, 4:10 pm
I do a mix of heavy weight and low reps and light/medium weights with high reps. I figure by mixing it up that it keeps my calves excited and active. I also vary the speed to build up fast twitch and normal muscle fibers.

LegendKillerJosh
06-28-10, 4:16 pm
When I was young I had naturally good sized calves from playing football and basketball. As I grew big from weighlifting, however, I realized they were small in proportion to the rest of my body (especially my larger quads and hams). They never grew until I started hitting them with a very high intensity program. I hit them only once per week, working up to 1 very heavy final working set, usually on the seated calf raise with 300+ pounds. I drive the weight up, pause at the top for 3 seconds, and lower the weight very slowly. I usually fail around 3-5 reps, and have found they do not grow from low intensity/high volume workouts. Another thing to be aware of is to move the weight with only your calves, do not use momentum, much like shrugs for traps. You have to squeeze the calves while you are performing the set.

The Misfit
06-28-10, 7:37 pm
They never grew until I started hitting them with a very high intensity program. I hit them only once per week, working up to 1 very heavy final working set, usually on the seated calf raise with 300+ pounds. I drive the weight up, pause at the top for 3 seconds, and lower the weight very slowly. I usually fail around 3-5 reps, and have found they do not grow from low intensity/high volume workouts. Another thing to be aware of is to move the weight with only your calves, do not use momentum, much like shrugs for traps. You have to squeeze the calves while you are performing the set.

I'm with you on that one. I'm a big believer in high intensity methods such as yours. Your method is not far off from the calf training principles used in DC, 5 second negative, hold for 15 more seconds at the bottom and then explode back and repeat.

Joseph V
06-29-10, 1:56 am
Use a diverse rep range and full range of motion--full stretch to full contraction.

Do some really heavy sets and try burnout sets in the 50 rep range, using a variety of equipment. And try training them multiple times per week, just not when they are still sore from your last session.

For many of us, growing calves takes extreme measures, so don't hesitate to get extreme. I trained mine 3x last week.

Peace, G

ill be honest bro..ive been killing em 3 to 4 times a week...for 30 minutes all out ball busting calve workout...its the first part i train when there uncluded in the mix

Joseph V
06-29-10, 1:59 am
its been a real bich to find whats working for my calves but so far this routine has been working for me , atleast more then the others have

1.) i first start off on the leg press with around 760 pounds and do calves like that for ( 4 sets, 10-12 reps )

2.) donkey calve raises are pyramided with 465 pounds and i gradually go down to 200 ( 4 sets, 15 reps )

3.)standing calve raises start off at 300 pounds and i pyramid down to 20 pounds..i basically do 2 sets at a time without rest for 10-12 deep rests..

the rest is 15 seconds or so because i heard calves rejuvenate real quick...

U Mad Brah?
06-29-10, 1:30 pm
maybe its the variety thats working good brah... a sum of the parts brahonie

BryanSmash!
06-29-10, 2:51 pm
On your workout days, do calves first in your routine.

TheAnima!Packist
06-30-10, 5:08 pm
Dude, so heres what I do, leg day the stands, the sits, and a variation of the stands. Rack up the smithy put a pilate under with one or two stacks, well enough to get the full range of motion, and pyramid the weight up. Mabye a 20, 18, 16, 12 set range with a good weight to start out with then when you hit 12 your doing a weight that you can't really get to 12 on but bust it homie.

Late, Pack