PDA

View Full Version : HRT for Those Without A Partner

Pages : [1] 2

Rage
07-01-10, 3:00 pm
This has been a long time in the works gentlemen. I have developed a HRT system for beginners and for those training solo. The gains aren't quite as dramatic as those using HRT in it's intermediate form, but still very effective nonetheless. On the flip side, I have also developed an advanced HRT system which will have it's own thread. So here we go.

HRT for beginners is based on Split Set Training with Negatives (SST/N). The individual performs in this case 8 positive reps and follows them immediately with 6 negative reps (8+6), unlike HRT for Intermediates which is 8+4. With SST/N it's necessary to put the muscles through a couple more negative reps to come close to emptying the tank since there are no forced reps involved which completely exhaust the muscle under load. After performing the initial 8 reps in the positive portion of the movement you will still perform the negatives at a steady rate of a 5 count. You will still choose a weight thats between 60 and 80% of your 1 rep max and remember this is just a guide for determining the right weight to choose. You can increase or decrease the weight based on how well you are able to perform the exercise on any given lift.

So if you've been wanting to give HRT a test drive, now's your chance. Unlike HRT for Intermediate or Advanced athletes, you can start right away and do not need to have a minimum of 2 years experience in the gym or a training partner. You can reap the benefits of HRT starting today.

Lets go to work...

ghost
07-01-10, 3:11 pm
awesome write up as always Rage.!

mritter3
07-01-10, 3:13 pm
great write up Rage...and a great workout method HRT is the real deal.

J-Dawg
07-01-10, 3:31 pm
This is awesome Rage. I know not everyone can train with a partner routinely so this will be helpful to them.

Mr. Dead
07-01-10, 3:33 pm
Sweet!!! I'll be startin' on this, next week, for sure!!! BTW... How long of a rest period between sets, do you recommend...???

Survivor831
07-01-10, 3:37 pm
I like to train by myself most of the time and have been dieing to try this for a long period of time. Thanks Rage!

Rage
07-01-10, 3:53 pm
awesome write up as always Rage.!

great write up Rage...and a great workout method HRT is the real deal.

This is awesome Rage. I know not everyone can train with a partner routinely so this will be helpful to them.

Sweet!!! I'll be startin' on this, next week, for sure!!! BTW... How long of a rest period between sets, do you recommend...???

I like to train by myself most of the time and have been dieing to try this for a long period of time. Thanks Rage!

Thanks you guys. Sorry it took so long, but I needed to test it out in the trenches to make sure I'm giving you something that will produce results. And of course you guys are welcome. Dead rest about 2 minutes on smaller bodyparts like biceps and 5 minutes on larger like quads.

smoothballer
07-01-10, 10:41 pm
Great write-up Tom.

shortstack
07-01-10, 11:33 pm
Hey Rage, is this something I can try on the cut or is it better to stick with the program you already have set up for cutters?

Thanks Brother.

Jeremy

Rage
07-02-10, 1:14 pm
Great write-up Tom.

THanks brother

Hey Rage, is this something I can try on the cut or is it better to stick with the program you already have set up for cutters?

Thanks Brother.

Jeremy

You can definitely hit this during your cut. I've been running advanced HRT through my precontest prep and it's been more effective than the traditional higher rep scheme.

B Con
07-02-10, 2:41 pm
Thanks for this brother. Gonna try it out w/o a partner after the Bar. Do your thing big man.

PIJW
07-07-10, 11:36 am
Great write-up Rage, will there be video for for instructional use for those without a partner. Btw ill be starting this up next week to see how it goes.

Mr. Dead
07-07-10, 11:37 am
Just started on this... The pain is exquisite... Me like!!!

ProteinJunkie
07-07-10, 1:38 pm
Subbed.

I workout alone and wouldn’t mind seeing what this HRT is about. How does one determine 60 and 80% of their 1RM? Any particular exercises for any certain body part recommended over others for this type of program? So…8 positive reps followed immediately with 6 negative reps performing the negatives at a steady rate of a 5 count. If these numbers aren’t hit, or, hit easily, I assume the weights must change to accommodate this specific rep range?

Sorry for all the Q's...

Rage
07-07-10, 3:02 pm
Great write-up Rage, will there be video for for instructional use for those without a partner. Btw ill be starting this up next week to see how it goes.

We'll get something together before too long.

Just started on this... The pain is exquisite... Me like!!!

Glad you like it Dead..ya sick bastard : )

Subbed.

I workout alone and wouldn’t mind seeing what this HRT is about. How does one determine 60 and 80% of their 1RM? Any particular exercises for any certain body part recommended over others for this type of program? So…8 positive reps followed immediately with 6 negative reps performing the negatives at a steady rate of a 5 count. If these numbers aren’t hit, or, hit easily, I assume the weights must change to accommodate this specific rep range?

Sorry for all the Q's...

No worries brother. Your last question is key. Just guess and adjust accordningly. Keep us posted on how your doing.

PIJW
07-07-10, 3:03 pm
Awesome Rage ill be sure to pass it along when i see it.

Topher
07-09-10, 6:21 pm
I am very interested in the vid of this also!!!

Beach91
07-09-10, 6:27 pm
Hey Rage, I train alone and have been using 5 second rest pauses as a form of HRT. I like the idea of using the 5 second negatives, my question is how long do you a run a cycle for, say 1 week a month or 3 straight weeks then one lighter week?

thanks for your time and your info

rev8ball
07-12-10, 12:00 pm
Sweet stuff, bro. Looks great.

Getting that tank emptied is the deal. And, like you said, the gains will not be as big, but it is a great way to start.

shortstack
07-12-10, 12:04 pm
I just ran a little bit of this today and it def emptied to tank. It's rough by your self, even with light weight.

Good stuff Rage

Jeremy

Mr. Dead
07-13-10, 5:13 pm
Hey Rage, I train alone and have been using 5 second rest pauses as a form of HRT. I like the idea of using the 5 second negatives, my question is how long do you a run a cycle for, say 1 week a month or 3 straight weeks then one lighter week?

*Bump...*

Rage
07-14-10, 1:13 pm

*Bump...*

Thanks Dead...Run HRT for at least 12 weeks straight..then one week on one week off thereafter. Depending on the individual, you can run it for much longer if your joints can hang.

Mr. Dead
07-14-10, 1:14 pm
Thanks Dead...Run HRT for at least 12 weeks straight..then one week on one week off thereafter. Depending on the individual, you can run it for much longer if your joints can hang.

Is that regardless of bulking or cutting...???

Rage
07-14-10, 1:20 pm
Yes...and I think I need to make you my assistant

Mr. Dead
07-14-10, 1:21 pm
Yes...and I think I need to make you my assistant

*LOL* Just tryin' to help, where I can...

Beach91
07-14-10, 2:07 pm
thanks Rage and Deadman for the help its much appreciated!

Mr. Dead
07-14-10, 2:16 pm
thanks Rage and Deadman for the help its much appreciated!

No problemo...

B Con
07-15-10, 5:47 am
Any way we could get a sample layout of this workout routine for those of us running it solo?

Grue
07-15-10, 10:33 am
Solo HRT. Was looking for a way.
Def going to try this and then report back.

Mr. Dead
07-15-10, 11:16 am
Any way we could get a sample layout of this workout routine for those of us running it solo?

I could post up what I've been doing, if you'd like...

B Con
07-15-10, 12:02 pm
I could post up what I've been doing, if you'd like...

Sure.

Mr. Dead
07-15-10, 12:07 pm
(Working Sets...)
Tri's
Hammer Strength Dip Apparatus 2x8 + 6 at 280...
Dumbbell Triceps Ext 2 x 8 + 6 (80 lb DB...)
Triceps pushdowns 2 x 8 + 6 at stack...

Bi's
Incline Dumbbell curls 2 x 8 + 6 (45 lb DBs...)
Hammer Curls 2 x 8 + 6 (45 lb DBs...)
Preacher curls 2 x 8 + 8 (80 lbs...)

Mr. Dead
07-15-10, 12:11 pm
Chest:
Bench (I prefer using the Hammer strength late loaded for safety...) 2x8 + 6
Incline DB Flye 2x8 + 6
Pec Deck 2x8 + 6

Delts (Anterior and medial...)
Seated Smith Machine press 2x8 + 6
DB laterals 2x8 + 6

From what I've been told, you don't want to do more than 3 exercises per body part and only 2 working sets per exercise...

Mr. Dead
07-15-10, 1:37 pm
Chest:
Bench (I prefer using the Hammer Strength plate loaded, for safety...) 2x8 + 6
Incline DB Flye 2x8 + 6
Pec Deck 2x8 + 6

DB laterals 2x8 + 6

From what I've been told, you don't want to do more than 3 exercises per body part and only 2 working sets per exercise...

*Fixed...*

Rage
07-15-10, 2:23 pm

Chest:
Bench (I prefer using the Hammer strength late loaded for safety...) 2x8 + 6
Incline DB Flye 2x8 + 6
Pec Deck 2x8 + 6

DB laterals 2x8 + 6

Perfect

Zeus92
07-16-10, 3:51 pm
I understand this is good for someone who has less than 2 years of bodybuilding under their belt. (good news for me haha)

But I recently tried implementing the FST-7 methods to my training program and loved the pump i got. However, after further reading it was suggested that this type of training (FST-7) isn't good for natural bodybuilders since they most likely wouldn't be able to properly recooperate within the week's rest for that body part. Not only did that discourage me but it also gave me the impression that the whole theory is designed around guys on roids anyway, and not the dedicated people who choose to do it the right way (like the majority of the people on these forums). So i was just wondering if HRT is good for Natty guys as well, or at least this method of it. I'm assuming its a yes, but i figured it wouldnt hurt to ask. I also realize that diet is important with HRT and i fully intend to feed my body everything it needs to grow. Thanks in advance!

Mr. Dead
07-16-10, 3:54 pm
I understand this is good for someone who has less than 2 years of bodybuilding under their belt. (good news for me haha)

But I recently tried implementing the FST-7 methods to my training program and loved the pump i got. However, after further reading it was suggested that this type of training (FST-7) isn't good for natural bodybuilders since they most likely wouldn't be able to properly recooperate within the week's rest for that body part. Not only did that discourage me but it also gave me the impression that the whole theory is designed around guys on roids anyway, and not the dedicated people who choose to do it the right way (like the majority of the people on these forums). So i was just wondering if HRT is good for Natty guys as well, or at least this method of it. I'm assuming its a yes, but i figured it wouldnt hurt to ask. I also realize that diet is important with HRT and i fully intend to feed my body everything it needs to grow. Thanks in advance!

I'm natty and running it... Rage is my trainer...

Zeus92
07-16-10, 3:59 pm
I'm natty and running it... Rage is my trainer...

Damn, your a lucky guy haha.

If im running this alone would this be an ok split?

1) back/bis
2) chest/tris
3) off
4) delts/traps
5) bis/tris/forearms
6) legs
7) off

or would i be overtraining my arms? Also would chest be considered a larger body party along with back and legs? in other words should i work chest with four sets (like back and legs) or three(like arms and delts)?

Mr. Dead
07-16-10, 4:04 pm
Damn, your a lucky guy haha.

If im running this alone would this be an ok split?

1) back/bis
2) chest/tris
3) off
4) delts/traps
5) bis/tris/forearms
6) legs
7) off

or would i be overtraining my arms? Also would chest be considered a larger body party along with back and legs? in other words should i work chest with four sets (like back and legs) or three(like arms and delts)?

I think that your arms wouldn't be sufficiently recovered to hit them twice, using this method... And, you still don't want to be doing more than 2 working sets of 3 exercises per body part... And, as far as a split... This is what he has me running...

Sunday- Off
Monday - Arms and abs
Tuesday - Legs (Hams and Quads...)
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Chest and Delts (Front and Side...)
Friday - Back, Rear Delts, and Calves

(And, yes, I feel very fortunate to have him train me...)

Zeus92
07-16-10, 4:09 pm
so would my split be ok if i just dropped working my arms with chest and back and kept them to their own day? But kept everything the same? Also thanks for the clarification about the sets.

Mr. Dead
07-16-10, 4:10 pm
so would my split be ok if i just dropped working my arms with chest and back and kept them to their own day? But kept everything the same? Also thanks for the clarification about the sets.

Yep... No problemo...

Rage
07-16-10, 4:19 pm

Good observation. Hany's FST-7 focuses either on exhausting the muscle being worked before or after the 2 working sets. It is far different from HRT because there are no hellcentrics involved in FST-7. I feel they are both effective training methods and I certainly respect Hany's training and especially his science. Plain and simple...HRT works the muscle harder than any other training style out there with the fewest number of sets while staying in a rep zone that best promotes muscle growth. 7 sets with limited rest in between sets such as FST-7 either before or after the working sets works the muscle hard, no doubt. But the downfall is the amount of lactic acid that it builds up is just simply not neccesary for growth. HRT is a beautiful system for natty bodybuilders such as yourself. It does require a fair amount of time for recovery, so be sure to only work each body part once a week, get your supps in for recovery and I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Zeus92
07-16-10, 4:25 pm
Good observation. Hany's FST-7 focuses either on exhausting the muscle being worked before or after the 2 working sets. It is far different from HRT because there are no hellcentrics involved in FST-7. I feel they are both effective training methods and I certainly respect Hany's training and especially his science. Plain and simple...HRT works the muscle harder than any other training style out there with the fewest number of sets while staying in a rep zone that best promotes muscle growth. 7 sets with limited rest in between sets such as FST-7 either before or after the working sets works the muscle hard, no doubt. But the downfall is the amount of lactic acid that it builds up is just simply not neccesary for growth. HRT is a beautiful system for natty bodybuilders such as yourself. It does require a fair amount of time for recovery, so be sure to only work each body part once a week, get your supps in for recovery and I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Thank you, your time and wisdom is truly appreciated!

Zeus92
07-18-10, 4:24 pm
Hey guys i did arms for the first time ever implementing the HRT method. Here's what it looked like

Working sets only
Tri pushdown- 90 lbs, 110, 120, (forgot to keep it to only two working sets on this one haha)
Overhead cable extension with rope attachment- 90,110,120 (...and this one)
Crossbody unilateral Cable extension- 30, 45
BBell Curl- 40 lbs bar, 50
Seated Alt. DB Curl- 35(could only do 4 negatives), 20
EZ-Bar Preacher Curl- 15 plates each side, same weight
Behind the back wrist curls- 60 lbs. bar for two sets
Reverse Grip Barbell curl- 15 lbs. plates on each side for two sets

all in all the workout took about 50 mins. and my arms were pumped by the end of it. Love HRT lookin forward to murder my shoulders on tuesday haha.

Zeus92
07-18-10, 4:24 pm
beside those extra sets does this look correct?

Mr. Dead
07-18-10, 10:58 pm
beside those extra sets does this look correct?

What was the rep scheme...???

Zeus92
07-18-10, 11:21 pm
i used the 8 normal reps with 6 slow (five seconds) negative reps for each working set. Thats what's recommended right?

Mr. Dead
07-18-10, 11:47 pm
i used the 8 normal reps with 6 slow (five seconds) negative reps for each working set. Thats what's recommended right?

Yep... Very nice!!!

Rage
07-19-10, 2:44 pm
Hey guys i did arms for the first time ever implementing the HRT method. Here's what it looked like

Working sets only
Tri pushdown- 90 lbs, 110, 120, (forgot to keep it to only two working sets on this one haha)
Overhead cable extension with rope attachment- 90,110,120 (...and this one)
Crossbody unilateral Cable extension- 30, 45
BBell Curl- 40 lbs bar, 50
Seated Alt. DB Curl- 35(could only do 4 negatives), 20
EZ-Bar Preacher Curl- 15 plates each side, same weight
Behind the back wrist curls- 60 lbs. bar for two sets
Reverse Grip Barbell curl- 15 lbs. plates on each side for two sets

all in all the workout took about 50 mins. and my arms were pumped by the end of it. Love HRT lookin forward to murder my shoulders on tuesday haha.

How do you like HRT compared to FST-7?

PIJW
07-19-10, 2:45 pm
Man i did this with preacher curls and incline Db curls, and WOW it is a huge difference. Gonna be adding HRT in for atleast 1 ro 2 exercises per muscle group.

Zeus92
07-19-10, 3:51 pm
How do you like HRT compared to FST-7?

Well the main thing i liked about it was that i felt a great pump and was depleting the tanks THROUGHOUT my workout as opposed to FST-7's which is basically a normal workout up until the last exercise, where you just pound out sets until your muscles reduced to mush. As far as my arms go, i definitely felt the pump yesterday...not too sore today, but than again i never really feel sore until two days afterwards anyway. today was an off day but i plan on usin HRT on my shoulders tomorrow, and im really lookin forward to that since i consider my shoulder's a lagging body part. How does this routine look?

HS shoulder press 2x8+6
side lateral machine- 2x8+6
reverse pec deck- 2x8+6
seated machine shrugs- 2x8+6

And maybe either front rases, or unilateral side lats on a cable machine 2x8+6 (before the shrugs though)

Thanks for all the help Rage!

Rage
07-19-10, 3:56 pm
Man i did this with preacher curls and incline Db curls, and WOW it is a huge difference. Gonna be adding HRT in for atleast 1 ro 2 exercises per muscle group.

Nice!

Well the main thing i liked about it was that i felt a great pump and was depleting the tanks THROUGHOUT my workout as opposed to FST-7's which is basically a normal workout up until the last exercise, where you just pound out sets until your muscles reduced to mush. As far as my arms go, i definitely felt the pump yesterday...not too sore today, but than again i never really feel sore until two days afterwards anyway. today was an off day but i plan on usin HRT on my shoulders tomorrow, and im really lookin forward to that since i consider my shoulder's a lagging body part. How does this routine look?

HS shoulder press 2x8+6
side lateral machine- 2x8+6
reverse pec deck- 2x8+6
seated machine shrugs- 2x8+6

And maybe either front rases, or unilateral side lats on a cable machine 2x8+6 (before the shrugs though)

Thanks for all the help Rage!

Solid routine. SHort and sweet.

Zeus92
07-20-10, 5:29 pm
Wound up doin a lot more than i thought i could, great pumps throughout here was the workout...
Delts:
Side Lateral Machine: 50 lbs., 60 lbs.
HS Behind the Neck Press: 55 each side, 45 each side
Unilateral Side Lat raise with cable: 20, 20
Reverse Pec-Dec: 60, 60
Front DB Raise: 25, 25
HS Seated Shrug Machine: 90 each side, 115 each side
Behind the Back BB Shrug on Smith Machine: 180, 270
Face Pull: 100, 150

BTW HRT's extremely effective i've already put on quality mass in less than a week thanks to this training. i highly suggest it to anyone who's thinkin about it!

Rage
07-21-10, 8:03 pm
Wound up doin a lot more than i thought i could, great pumps throughout here was the workout...
Delts:
Side Lateral Machine: 50 lbs., 60 lbs.
HS Behind the Neck Press: 55 each side, 45 each side
Unilateral Side Lat raise with cable: 20, 20
Reverse Pec-Dec: 60, 60
Front DB Raise: 25, 25
HS Seated Shrug Machine: 90 each side, 115 each side
Behind the Back BB Shrug on Smith Machine: 180, 270
Face Pull: 100, 150

BTW HRT's extremely effective i've already put on quality mass in less than a week thanks to this training. i highly suggest it to anyone who's thinkin about it!

Nice job!

Zeus92
07-21-10, 8:26 pm
Leg Extensions: 90, 120
Vertical Leg press: 90 lbs. each side, 135 lbs. each side
Hack Squat: 90 lbs. each side, same weight
Lying Leg Curl: 100, 120
Standing Unilateral Leg Curl: 40, 60/50 (had to lower the weight for the 6 slow negative reps)
Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 90, 135 (never really like SLDL's probably gonna switch them out fro Hamstring Raises next time)
Standing Calf Raises: 200, 200
Donkey Calf Raises: 220, 260

Zeus92
07-21-10, 8:29 pm
Hey Rage,

I was wondering if it would be alright ,since i wont be hitting the rear delts on the same day, to do 3 widening exercises along with 3 thickening exercises for a total of 6 exercises total. Still sticking to two working sets for each though. somethin like this

Pull-Downs
Barbell Rows
Pullovers
HS T-bar Rows
Pullups
Low-Cable Row
Rack Pulls (just straight sets with this one though)

how does this look? i feel like 6 sets total just isn't enough for back

Rage
07-22-10, 2:53 pm
Hey Rage,

I was wondering if it would be alright ,since i wont be hitting the rear delts on the same day, to do 3 widening exercises along with 3 thickening exercises for a total of 6 exercises total. Still sticking to two working sets for each though. somethin like this

Pull-Downs
Barbell Rows
Pullovers
HS T-bar Rows
Pullups
Low-Cable Row
Rack Pulls (just straight sets with this one though)

how does this look? i feel like 6 sets total just isn't enough for back

This is a lot in my opinion. I do Wide Grip Pullups, Narrow Grip Pulldowns and Straight Arm Pulldowns right now. All Advanced HRT. I wouldn't even want to do more after just those 6 sets and my back is developing just fine. Sometimes more is not better.

Mr. Dead
07-22-10, 2:55 pm
Sometimes more is not better.

A lesson, I'm still trying to learn... *LOL*

Mr. Dead
07-22-10, 2:59 pm
Leg extension: (Warm Up...)
1 set of 50 at 90
1 set of 40 at 105
1 set of 30 at 120
Leg extension
2 sets of 8 + 6 at 90
Leg press
2 sets of 8 + 6 at 6 plates per side
Hack Squats:
2 sets of 8 + 6 at 1 plate per side (Mostly went to get my form down... Will go heavier next time....)
Lying leg curls:
2 sets of 12 at 80
Seated Leg Curls:
2 sets of 8 + 6 at 160

1st time doing this for legs... Sure as hell won't be the last...

Zeus92
07-22-10, 3:02 pm
Leg extension: (Warm Up...)
1 set of 50 at 90
1 set of 40 at 105
1 set of 30 at 120
Leg extension
2 sets of 8 + 6 at 90
Leg press
2 sets of 8 + 6 at 6 plates per side
Hack Squats:
2 sets of 8 + 6 at 1 plate per side (Mostly went to get my form down... Will go heavier next time....)
Lying leg curls:
2 sets of 12 at 80
Seated Leg Curls:
2 sets of 8 + 6 at 160

1st time doing this for legs... Sure as hell won't be the last...

Good shit Brother! Keep it up!

Mr. Dead
07-27-10, 5:38 pm
Definitely been "enjoying" this!!!

Mattman33
07-27-10, 6:27 pm
quick question with the single HRT training...

Do you use the same weight for the 8 reps, and the 6 5 sec count negatives?

I had the chance to run some of the HRT training before when I had a steady training partner, but now find myself on my own in the gym. Great stuff!

B Con
07-27-10, 9:51 pm

I had the chance to run some of the HRT training before when I had a steady training partner, but now find myself on my own in the gym. Great stuff!

Yes you use the same weight. Least that's what we did in OH when I ran a session with Rage.

On a side note, I'm gonna run HRT next week... I'm bringing the pain.

smoothballer
07-27-10, 10:33 pm
Yes you use the same weight. Least that's what we did in OH when I ran a session with Rage.

He's baaaaaaack!!

Mr. Dead
07-27-10, 10:57 pm

It's about damn time... *LOL*

JasonG
07-28-10, 12:14 am
Hey Rage, so I'm not understanding exactly I don't think. So basically your doing 14 positive reps but focusing on the negative during the last 6?

Mr. Dead
07-28-10, 12:20 am
Hey Rage, so I'm not understanding exactly I don't think. So basically your doing 14 positive reps but focusing on the negative during the last 6?

Pretty much...

Zeus92
07-28-10, 6:40 pm
Lovin HRT, this is only my third time workin my arms and they already look bigger!

Triceps:
Cambered bar pushdowns- 120, 140
Lying Tricep Extension (these were pretty sloppy and will probably switch them out for a different tricep exercise next time) w/straight bar- 25 lbs. per side, x2
Underhanded wide grip bench press (awesome exercise but probably a dumb idea since i just hit chest on monday)- 155, 185
*stretch- 90 seconds

Biceps:
Barbell curl- 60 lbs. barbell, 70 lbs.
Alternating seated dumbbell curl- 30, 35
Preacher machine curl (had to check my ego on this one haha)- 45/35, 35/25 (i had to drop the weight for the negative reps on both sets)
*stretch- 70 seconds

Forearms:
Pinwheel Curls- 35, 40
Unilateral reverse grip cable curls (not sure if thats the name but these babies toasted my forearms) 25, 35
*stretch- 60 seconds

Rage
07-29-10, 8:36 pm

Yes. That is unless the weight was too easy or too hard then move up or down. Try to fail around the last couple negatives of the second set of each exerciese. THen you know you've picked the right weight for that particular lift.

Big B! My brother..you get past that bar yet?

Finish 8 positive reps..then do 6 megative reps working primarily the negatives.

Pretty much...

Lovin HRT, this is only my third time workin my arms and they already look bigger!

Triceps:
Cambered bar pushdowns- 120, 140
Lying Tricep Extension (these were pretty sloppy and will probably switch them out for a different tricep exercise next time) w/straight bar- 25 lbs. per side, x2
Underhanded wide grip bench press (awesome exercise but probably a dumb idea since i just hit chest on monday)- 155, 185
*stretch- 90 seconds

Biceps:
Barbell curl- 60 lbs. barbell, 70 lbs.
Alternating seated dumbbell curl- 30, 35
Preacher machine curl (had to check my ego on this one haha)- 45/35, 35/25 (i had to drop the weight for the negative reps on both sets)
*stretch- 70 seconds

Forearms:
Pinwheel Curls- 35, 40
Unilateral reverse grip cable curls (not sure if thats the name but these babies toasted my forearms) 25, 35
*stretch- 60 seconds

Are they measuring any larger? This is a fantastic mass builder routine.

Zeus92
07-30-10, 1:01 am
Are they measuring any larger? This is a fantastic mass builder routine.

unfortunately i have no real accurate way of measuring them, they definitely look larger to me though (hope its just not wishful thinking haha) i noticed improvements in my legs as well which is saying something cause they were by far my weakest body part. Also arms and legs were the only bodyparts that i've trained strictly HRT, i guess that just goes to show how legit this training method really is

Mr. Dead
08-05-10, 6:02 pm
Definitely have to say, that I've really been likin' this, so far!!!

smoothballer
08-05-10, 9:32 pm
Definitely have to say, that I've really been likin' this, so far!!!

Did the arms version today. Really sick pump. Missing the real HRT with a partner but this is a damn close 2nd since I am flying solo.

Mr. Dead
08-06-10, 5:28 pm
Did the arms version today. Really sick pump. Missing the real HRT with a partner but this is a damn close 2nd since I am flying solo.

Yeah, it's not quite the same as regular HRT, but when you don't have a partner, this is the next best thing...

Mr. Dead
08-22-10, 9:26 pm
How many consecutive weeks do you suggest running this, before changing/cycling off...??? Or, can this be run indefinitely, with just making changes in the exercises, every so often...???

Mr. Dead
08-24-10, 10:46 am
How many consecutive weeks do you suggest running this, before changing/cycling off...??? Or, can this be run indefinitely, with just making changes in the exercises, every so often...???

In case anyone was wondering, here's the answer on this:

"I like to suggest 12 weeks straight and then running it every other week. I myself have run it for a lot longer from time to time and have handled it just fine. There are a few other hardcore HRT guys that have done the same and still made gains."

Energy
08-26-10, 3:13 pm
Hey rage, is this technique meant to be used with multiple sets?

Mr. Dead
08-26-10, 3:20 pm
Hey rage, is this technique meant to be used with multiple sets?

It's generally meant to be run as 2 working sets of 3 exercises per bodypart... (Granted, nothing is etched in stone, so feel free to experiment...) But, that's how it was originally designed...

TRNHRD
08-26-10, 4:33 pm
Ya, I have noticed a lot of good gains so far from the Solo HRT. I know once I complete the 12 weeks that I am going to be building a new workout routine based off what I have learned through this experience.

Mr. Dead
08-26-10, 4:34 pm
Ya, I have noticed a lot of good gains so far from the Solo HRT. I know once I complete the 12 weeks that I am going to be building a new workout routine based off what I have learned through this experience.

Awesome!!!

ROCKIN-RANDALL
09-06-10, 2:22 am
Thanks Mr. Dead & Rage My New Journey Begins!!!

Mr. Dead
09-06-10, 3:01 pm
Thanks Mr. Dead & Rage My New Journey Begins!!!

Great!!! If ya have any questions, don't hesitate to ask... Rage should be back online in a couple of days, as well...

bizzo
09-14-10, 2:36 pm
I'm really thinking that after this 12 week training session that I'm on I'm really going to shoot for some HRT and step my game up!!

rev8ball
09-14-10, 2:54 pm
I'm really thinking that after this 12 week training session that I'm on I'm really going to shoot for some HRT and step my game up!!

It's a great program, and, if you're able to do it, then I strongly suggest it.

Rage and I will be doing a seminar on HRT at the Cage next Friday @ 3pm at the O. If you can't make it out to see it in person, then definitely catch it on the web cam.

Mr. Dead
09-14-10, 2:56 pm
It's a great program, and, if you're able to do it, then I strongly suggest it.

Rage and I will be doing a seminar on HRT at the Cage next Friday @ 3pm at the O. If you can't make it out to see it in person, then definitely catch it on the web cam.

Somebody BETTER be recording it, this time... Luckily, I still have my notes from before, as well as your slide show...

rev8ball
09-14-10, 2:57 pm
Somebody BETTER be recording it, this time... Luckily, I still have my notes from before, as well as your slide show...

Oh yeah, my slide show..... how has that not bored you to death yet?......lol

More info this time around, including nutrition and supplementation. Def fun stuff!

Mr. Dead
09-14-10, 3:00 pm
Oh yeah, my slide show..... how has that not bored you to death yet?......lol

More info this time around, including nutrition and supplementation. Def fun stuff!

Wish I could be there, this time around... And how could it be boring...??? I'm a geek, when it comes to this stuff... *LOL*

lc_hitman
09-14-10, 4:55 pm
Great to see that there are those out there looking out for the others that dont always have a training partner. Heck, Ive never had one last longer than two weeks before they quit and dont really care to have any of the training partners who are steady in the gym keeping their ears warm with their cell phones.

Mr. Dead
09-14-10, 5:46 pm
Great to see that there are those out there looking out for the others that dont always have a training partner. Heck, Ive never had one last longer than two weeks before they quit and dont really care to have any of the training partners who are steady in the gym keeping their ears warm with their cell phones.

And, it will definitely let ya know that you've had one heck of a workout...

d1sc1ple
09-14-10, 5:53 pm
I may have to try this if I can't get a reliable TP for my Blood n Guts style. I do lot of those techniques already and love rest pause when training solo.

Zieben
09-15-10, 12:42 pm
Simply brilliant! I've been wanting to try HRT ever since I first heard about it, but, getting someone to be a gym partner is like pulling teeth where I'm from. This will definitely get me started, hopefully by the time i'm done with this, I can do some serious HRT!

Mr. Dead
09-15-10, 12:45 pm
I may have to try this if I can't get a reliable TP for my Blood n Guts style. I do lot of those techniques already and love rest pause when training solo.

Simply brilliant! I've been wanting to try HRT ever since I first heard about it, but, getting someone to be a gym partner is like pulling teeth where I'm from. This will definitely get me started, hopefully by the time i'm done with this, I can do some serious HRT!

I train alone, a vast majority of the time... Even just getting a spot is impossible... The only time I train with others, is at an ABC... So, this program has fit me to a "T"... The first few sessions will be mostly getting the weight right and adjusting the count time on the negatives... After that, is when the fun really begins!!!

MERC
10-03-10, 11:08 am
I have been doing HRT Solo in AfGHN for 3 weeks while using PAK and STAK. It really gets the job done, i am adding pump next week to the rotation. This routine ROCKS!!

Mr. Dead
10-03-10, 12:44 pm
I have been doing HRT Solo in AfGHN for 3 weeks while using PAK and STAK. It really gets the job done, i am adding pump next week to the rotation. This routine ROCKS!!

Awesome!!!

Powerful
10-19-10, 1:45 pm
Alright, right now im running my reps at 12,10,8, 6... i want to throw in the negative part of HRT in the last couple sets of each exercise... any tips on how to do this? the reason for this is because i like adding weight each time along with me being a high volume guy and long limbed, so i wanna beef up the sets a bit.. Any tips or variations would be awesome, thanks guys. and great write up tom

Rage
10-19-10, 2:25 pm
Alright, right now im running my reps at 12,10,8, 6... i want to throw in the negative part of HRT in the last couple sets of each exercise... any tips on how to do this? the reason for this is because i like adding weight each time along with me being a high volume guy and long limbed, so i wanna beef up the sets a bit.. Any tips or variations would be awesome, thanks guys. and great write up tom

I'm all for mixing it up, but your frame and reach doesn't ahve much to do with the technique. It works as is for everyone. However, I would suggest you Maybe do the same number of hellcentrics as youare reps in the lower range rep sets.

Zeus92
10-31-10, 5:40 pm
any news on those vids?

The RZA
12-06-10, 5:43 pm
Just found this thread and tried it out for arms yesterday......good stuff right here. I definitely felt it more in my bi's than I usually do!

Mr. Dead
12-06-10, 6:04 pm
any news on those vids?

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?29487-quot-Hell-Raiser-Training-quot-(SST-FN)-The-Vids&p=1045547&viewfull=1#post1045547

Just found this thread and tried it out for arms yesterday......good stuff right here. I definitely felt it more in my bi's than I usually do!

Yeah, it definitely lets ya know you've had a workout...

Rage
12-06-10, 6:43 pm

Nice!

Jellybean
02-05-11, 1:02 pm
Hey

I want to try HRT for the next 12 weeks but I am confused what 8 poistive reps and 6 negative reps for a 5 count mean.

If we take the bench press as an example; the way I understand it is at a weight 60-80% of my 1 rep max I press the bar eight times using the normal movement(fast up exhaling and resist the weight coming back down to the chest while inhaling); after my eight rep I start my negative reps

Is a negative rep, with the bar fully extended above my chest I resist the weight down to my chest but as I am lowering the weight towards my chest the duration of the movement should take Five seconds ( this is the 5 count) ?

thanks, was hoping the vids would demonstrate it but seen they are not ready till later in the year

Necromatrix
02-06-11, 11:53 am
Hey

I want to try HRT for the next 12 weeks but I am confused what 8 poistive reps and 6 negative reps for a 5 count mean.

If we take the bench press as an example; the way I understand it is at a weight 60-80% of my 1 rep max I press the bar eight times using the normal movement(fast up exhaling and resist the weight coming back down to the chest while inhaling); after my eight rep I start my negative reps

Is a negative rep, with the bar fully extended above my chest I resist the weight down to my chest but as I am lowering the weight towards my chest the duration of the movement should take Five seconds ( this is the 5 count) ?

thanks, was hoping the vids would demonstrate it but seen they are not ready till later in the year

You've got it. Basically 8 normal reps, at the top of the eighth rep you begin a slow or forced negative for 6 more reps. As you progress you can also lengthen the five count for an even longer negative.

Mr. Dead
02-06-11, 9:02 pm
You've got it. Basically 8 normal reps, at the top of the eighth rep you begin a slow or forced negative for 6 more reps. As you progress you can also lengthen the five count for an even longer negative.

Right... The 60-80% max really kind of goes out the window, for the most part... Generally the 1st week or so are spent finding the proper weight...

So... To re-cap:
8 reps, normal... Plus... 6 reps with a 5 second count on the negative...

conjugalburns
02-07-11, 9:42 am
Right... The 60-80% max really kind of goes out the window, for the most part... Generally the 1st week or so are spent finding the proper weight...

So... To re-cap:
8 reps, normal... Plus... 6 reps with a 5 second count on the negative...

Solid! I'm going to have to come up with a 4 day split for this and give it a go in a couple of weeks

smoothballer
02-07-11, 9:51 am
Solid! I'm going to have to come up with a 4 day split for this and give it a go in a couple of weeks

Use this split and you will get some awesome results: http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=455

conjugalburns
02-07-11, 11:03 am
Use this split and you will get some awesome results: http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=455

I wrote it down on paper quite some time ago, I was thinking it was a 5 day though. Seeing that it is not though I am all set then, thanks bro!

twoheadedboy
05-30-11, 1:19 am
I have a dumb question...how are individuals to complete "negative" reps? With chin ups, I can jump to the top and lower myself down, but I don't see how a negative bench press can be done without a positive component without the aid of a partner, for example.

Mr. Dead
05-30-11, 12:19 pm
I have a dumb question...how are individuals to complete "negative" reps? With chin ups, I can jump to the top and lower myself down, but I don't see how a negative bench press can be done without a positive component without the aid of a partner, for example.

Try using less weight... once you find the right amount of weight, you'll have no problem... The 1st 1-2 weeks of this, is generally, trying to find the weight that works for you... This program is one, where you definitely check the ego, at the door...

twoheadedboy
05-30-11, 12:44 pm
I understand that, I mean the mechanics of an individual person performing only the negative portion of a rep...or is it just dropping to a lighter weight for the +6 and doing slower negatives?

Mr. Dead
05-30-11, 3:41 pm
I understand that, I mean the mechanics of an individual person performing only the negative portion of a rep...or is it just dropping to a lighter weight for the +6 and doing slower negatives?

It's 8 normal reps, with another 6 reps done with a slow (5 count) negative... (Basically 14 reps, with the last 6 done with a slow negative...)

Rage
05-31-11, 1:26 pm

Try using less weight... once you find the right amount of weight, you'll have no problem... The 1st 1-2 weeks of this, is generally, trying to find the weight that works for you... This program is one, where you definitely check the ego, at the door...

It's 8 normal reps, with another 6 reps done with a slow (5 count) negative... (Basically 14 reps, with the last 6 done with a slow negative...)

Correct Dead. Two...you can go ahead and jump up to bypass the concentric portion of the rep and begin the next negative.

Henious
10-31-11, 5:25 pm
Amazing workout! I tried this for my first time yesterday did bis and tris. Great pump woke up the next day tris were soreee. I'm gunna start trying to put some weight on starting the ninth of November (Will also start my "Journey" then as well) curious on how you think this will work out for me. I'm currently 165lbs roughly 11% going to run the recommend split ( Shoulders/Arms, Legs, Off, Chest/Tri, Back/Traps/Delts/Calves, Off, Off. ) consuming 3550cals per day supplementing Animal Pak,Flex,Pump, and 6week cycles of M-stak. I was doing the HRT as follows 8 reps of a 2,2 count and for the last six I am doing it like in your video a partial rep followed by a negative of 5 seconds with explosive ups. Thanks for throwin this thread together Rage and thanks to both you and Dead for the helpful replys. Keep it real!

Blake
10-31-11, 6:16 pm
Can't wait to start this on tonight with legs should be fun.

Christman
11-01-11, 10:19 am
I was doing the HRT as follows 8 reps of a 2,2 count and for the last six I am doing it like in your video a partial rep followed by a negative of 5 seconds with explosive ups.

This is a great workout, I've been doing it for two weeks now and I am loving it. I watched the videos on bb.com and was courious if we should incorporate the partials on the last six reps when doing HRT without a partner like Henious is doing.

I'm gunna start trying to put some weight on starting the ninth of November (Will also start my "Journey" then as well) curious on how you think this will work out for me. I'm currently 165lbs roughly 11% going to run the recommend split ( Shoulders/Arms, Legs, Off, Chest/Tri, Back/Traps/Delts/Calves, Off, Off. ) consuming 3550cals per day supplementing Animal Pak,Flex,Pump, and 6week cycles of M-stak.

Best of luck on your journey Henious, I'll be starting my journey soon as well.

bobg
11-15-11, 12:42 pm
Just found the HRT routine on bodybuilding.com. As I am at week 7 of my present 8 week program I plan on starting HRT after taking a week off (not really off - just decreased workload). As I have never really established my 1-rep max on many exercises - how important is it to know? Or can I just 'estimate' ?

Mr. Dead
11-15-11, 12:43 pm
Just found the HRT routine on bodybuilding.com. As I am at week 7 of my present 8 week program I plan on starting HRT after taking a week off (not really off - just decreased workload). As I have never really established my 1-rep max on many exercises - how important is it to know? Or can I just 'estimate' ?

I would estimate... The first week or 2 is generally spent finding the right weight, for you...

Mr. Dead
11-15-11, 5:13 pm
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139729913

bobg
12-16-11, 9:06 am
I would estimate... The first week or 2 is generally spent finding the right weight, for you...

Yes - Also, some of the exercises take some getting used to. I like the concept of doing 6 negatives when being solo. Is there ever going to be a guide on the 5 workouts? I was able to view the one on the chest workout and was able to get a few poointers from it - would be great if this was done for the other workouts.

bobg
01-18-12, 9:24 am
Yes - Also, some of the exercises take some getting used to. I like the concept of doing 6 negatives when being solo. Is there ever going to be a guide on the 5 workouts? I was able to view the one on the chest workout and was able to get a few poointers from it - would be great if this was done for the other workouts.

I am having a hard time doing the negatives for some of the exercises - espically the lateral raises and bentover rear raises - Is it ok to drop the weight to get the neagatives (including the particials) in?

Mr. Dead
01-18-12, 5:24 pm
I am having a hard time doing the negatives for some of the exercises - espically the lateral raises and bentover rear raises - Is it ok to drop the weight to get the neagatives (including the particials) in?

No... The point is to keep the muscle under constant tension... Stopping midset allows your muscles to "reset", therefore it would be counter productive...

For more updated info... Check here:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139729913

supa nate
01-28-12, 1:46 am
Hi guys,

I have started out HRT 2 weeks ago but still a little lost on the set and reps.

I have been doing say squats 15reps 12.. 10.. 8+6negs then 8+6

is that right? I have been following the HRT Cutting work out

so every exercise im doing 3 sets (15,12,10) then my 2 with the negatives

thanks
guys

Mr. Dead
01-31-12, 6:57 pm
Hi guys,

I have started out HRT 2 weeks ago but still a little lost on the set and reps.

I have been doing say squats 15reps 12.. 10.. 8+6negs then 8+6

is that right? I have been following the HRT Cutting work out

so every exercise im doing 3 sets (15,12,10) then my 2 with the negatives

thanks
guys

Seems like a lot of warm up sets, before you get to the 2 working sets...

bobg
03-29-12, 10:45 am
Wish I could figure out how to do posts -
I finished my 12 week cycle of HRT. While I dod not make the gains I was hoping for - I can not complalin. I did increase Squats by 20lbs and flat bench by 12Lbs. How long should I wait before I start another 12 week cycle?

Mr. Dead
03-29-12, 10:51 am
Wish I could figure out how to do posts -
I finished my 12 week cycle of HRT. While I dod not make the gains I was hoping for - I can not complalin. I did increase Squats by 20lbs and flat bench by 12Lbs. How long should I wait before I start another 12 week cycle?

Anywhere between 4-6 weeks...

brendanmmelanson93
04-02-12, 10:37 am
Nice write-up Rage. I begin my HRT today. I'm doing it with a buddy but we are doing the solo HRT because our schedules conflict.

chasebayne
04-14-12, 2:17 pm
are the 6 negatives for the solo done the way the hellcentric reps are described in the bb.com article, with the partial neg first then the full rom negative to make one rep?

kcburrows
04-30-12, 2:16 pm
are the 6 negatives for the solo done the way the hellcentric reps are described in the bb.com article, with the partial neg first then the full rom negative to make one rep?

No for the solo version its straight negetives. You pause at the top of the 8th rep and slowly lower the weight down with a 1/1000,2/1000,3/1000, etc count until you reach a full 5 secs. It seems like forever and on the 6th negetive it'll really seem like forever. Just make sure to use a full range of motion and keep form slow and strict. Your ego will take a blow with these because your weight you use gets chopped down dramatically but the results are incredible and well worth it! if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask

Mr. Dead
04-30-12, 2:18 pm
No for the solo version its straight negetives. You pause at the top of the 8th rep and slowly lower the weight down with a 1/1000,2/1000,3/1000, etc count until you reach a full 5 secs. It seems like forever and on the 6th negetive it'll really seem like forever. Just make sure to use a full range of motion and keep form slow and strict. Your ego will take a blow with these because your weight you use gets chopped down dramatically but the results are incredible and well worth it! if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask

This...

chasebayne
05-03-12, 8:44 am
thankyou for the clarification. my ego is not an issue as ive already learned that lesson the hard way, im so ready to start this.

Mr. Dead
05-03-12, 11:04 am
thankyou for the clarification. my ego is not an issue as ive already learned that lesson the hard way, im so ready to start this.

Niiice...!!! If ya have any questions, though, don't hesitate to post them up...

chasebayne
05-03-12, 12:08 pm
Niiice...!!! If ya have any questions, though, don't hesitate to post them up...

of course i will. btw mr dead, you are my favorite on the different forums

Mr. Dead
05-03-12, 12:17 pm
of course i will. btw mr dead, you are my favorite on the different forums

Thank you... Just being myself...

kcburrows
05-07-12, 3:39 pm
hows the program working for ya so far step1?

chasebayne
05-08-12, 9:41 pm
hows the program working for ya so far step1?
oh i havent started yet, im going to start when i begin my bulk at the end of this cycle of cuts. just doing my homework before its time to get to business.

kcburrows
05-09-12, 7:13 am
oh i havent started yet, im going to start when i begin my bulk at the end of this cycle of cuts. just doing my homework before its time to get to business.
sweet brotha, well keep us posted were all in your corner! dont hesitate if you have any questions.

Mr. Dead
05-09-12, 3:08 pm
sweet brotha, well keep us posted were all in your corner! dont hesitate if you have any questions.

How has your own experience with this been going...???

Hollow
05-14-12, 1:10 pm
Hey Rage how significant is the first 8 reps prior to the six slow negative reps? Should the muscle be fairly taxed after completing the first 8 reps or is the main focus on the 6 slow negative reps? What I’m finding for myself, to perform the 6 slow negative reps effectively I need to use a lighter weight but on the same hand, it feels a bit too light for the first 8 reps.

Would there be any benefit of doing a drop set for the 6 slow negative reps or is it better to keep the same weight throughout the whole movement?

chasebayne
05-16-12, 3:34 pm
Hey Rage how significant is the first 8 reps prior to the six slow negative reps? Should the muscle be fairly taxed after completing the first 8 reps or is the main focus on the 6 slow negative reps? What I’m finding for myself, to perform the 6 slow negative reps effectively I need to use a lighter weight but on the same hand, it feels a bit too light for the first 8 reps.

Would there be any benefit of doing a drop set for the 6 slow negative reps or is it better to keep the same weight throughout the whole movement?

i hope we get an answer for this, good question

Mr. Dead
05-16-12, 4:18 pm

i hope we get an answer for this, good question

Drop sets would defeat the purpose... The muscle must be under constant tension... In a drop set, there is that "pause"/stoppage to change the weight, which stops the constant tension... When you take off that tension you allow the muscle to rest/reset...

chasebayne
05-16-12, 4:54 pm
Drop sets would defeat the purpose... The muscle must be under constant tension... In a drop set, there is that "pause"/stoppage to change the weight, which stops the constant tension... When you take off that tension you allow the muscle to rest/reset...

ah ha!
so how do you get around that when you have to change/load weight onto the dif machines? just try to do it as fast as you can?
i have to swap plates around a lot.

Mr. Dead
05-16-12, 6:00 pm
ah ha!
so how do you get around that when you have to change/load weight onto the dif machines? just try to do it as fast as you can?
i have to swap plates around a lot.
Not quite sure if I'm following you, here... There is a rest between sets... And, there is a rest between exercises... That's when you would be moving to the other machines, barbells, etc... There is just no rest in the middle of the set...

chasebayne
05-16-12, 7:56 pm
ah i see, ok. thanks for clearing that up

Hollow
05-17-12, 8:32 am

Nicely explained Mr. Dead, makes perfect sense now.

One more follow up question if you don't mind Mr. Dead? In my case, I stated that I needed to use a lighter weight on the first 8 reps to achieve 6 slow negative reps with good form. Would it be more beneficial then to increase the weight and drop a rep or two on the slow negatives or would it be better to hit 8 - 10 reps then follow that up with 6 slow negative reps?

Thanks, I greatly appreciate the help.

Mr. Dead
05-17-12, 12:21 pm
Nicely explained Mr. Dead, makes perfect sense now.

One more follow up question if you don't mind Mr. Dead? In my case, I stated that I needed to use a lighter weight on the first 8 reps to achieve 6 slow negative reps with good form. Would it be more beneficial then to increase the weight and drop a rep or two on the slow negatives or would it be better to hit 8 - 10 reps then follow that up with 6 slow negative reps?

Thanks, I greatly appreciate the help.
This program is an ego buster... If you have to use lighter weight to do the required rep schem, then you have to use a lighter weight... What I generally tell people, is to gradually increase the time of the 5-count, before increasing the weight... That way, you ensure that you are going to be able to follow the required scheme if you bump the weight up the following week...

Hollow
05-17-12, 12:51 pm
This program is an ego buster... If you have to use lighter weight to do the required rep schem, then you have to use a lighter weight... What I generally tell people, is to gradually increase the time of the 5-count, before increasing the weight... That way, you ensure that you are going to be able to follow the required scheme if you bump the weight up the following week...

I understand but bare with me on this one Mr. Dead...

I have absolutely no problem dropping the amount of weight being used, ego is not a problem however my thought is the amount of weight I would have to drop to successfully perform and complete the 6 slow negative reps. My thought is the 8 reps will not be as effective. If I use a weight that wouldn't be too "light" for the 8 reps, I may have to drop the 6 slow negative down to 4. Would this still achieve the intended goals of the program? I just want to make sure that the focus on both the positive/negative portion of the movement is effective.

Once again I thank you for you patience's and help.

Mr. Dead
05-17-12, 1:16 pm
The 8 reps are the build-up/primer for the 6... (Think of it as a warm-up/pre-exhaust) According to rev8ball's scientific studies, the 8+6 is the "sweet spot"... Is anything etched in stone...??? No... But following the method as prescribed will bring the best gains...

Hollow
05-17-12, 1:30 pm
The 8 reps are the build-up/primer for the 6... (Think of it as a warm-up/pre-exhaust) According to rev8ball's scientific studies, the 8+6 is the "sweet spot"... Is anything etched in stone...??? No... But following the method as prescribed will bring the best gains...

Okay, if the 8 reps are the build-up/primer to the 6 reps, how effective are the 6 reps if the 8 reps do not work as an effective pre-exhaust? Would I not be further ahead then to increase the number of reps on the 8 count if it is going to help on the 6 negative reps?

One thing I am definitely clear on then, is the 6 slow negative reps are the key to this movement.

Mr. Dead
05-17-12, 1:34 pm
Okay, if the 8 reps are the build-up/primer to the 6 reps, how effective are the 6 reps if the 8 reps do not work as an effective pre-exhaust? Would I not be further ahead then to increase the number of reps on the 8 count if it is going to help on the 6 negative reps?

One thing I am definitely clear on then, is the 6 slow negative reps are the key to this movement.
Are you finishing the 6 reps with ease...??? Or are you straining to get that final rep...???

Hollow
05-17-12, 1:38 pm
Are you finishing the 6 reps with ease...??? Or are you straining to get that final rep...???

If I use a weight on the 8 reps which I find to be an effective pre-exhaust then I do not complete my 6 reps on the slow negatives. I end up dropping to 3 and 4 reps.

If I drop the weight on the 8 reps, I do get all 6 slow negative reps but it doesn’t feel as affective as if I was to use the heavier weight and only complete 3 – 4 slow negative reps.

Mr. Dead
05-17-12, 1:43 pm
If I use a weight on the 8 reps which I find to be an effective pre-exhaust then I do not complete my 6 reps on the slow negatives. I end up dropping to 3 and 4 reps.

If I drop the weight on the 8 reps, I do get all 6 slow negative reps but it doesn’t feel as affective as if I was to use the heavier weight and only complete 3 – 4 slow negative reps.

Sounds like you're in the mid-point range... By that, I mean you're using a weight that is somewhat too light, but at the same time, you're not ready to go up... Slow down the 5 count, and see if that makes a difference... The purpose of the final 6 is to totally empty the tank...

Hollow
05-17-12, 2:27 pm
Sounds like you're in the mid-point range... By that, I mean you're using a weight that is somewhat too light, but at the same time, you're not ready to go up... Slow down the 5 count, and see if that makes a difference... The purpose of the final 6 is to totally empty the tank...

How much slower are we talking about?

Mr. Dead
05-17-12, 2:42 pm
Double the length of the cadence of one one thousand... two one thousand... Etc...

Hollow
05-17-12, 2:49 pm
Double the length of the cadence of one one thousand... two one thousand... Etc...

Whoa baby! That seems to be a long time to keep the muscle under tension. Just thinking about it the muscle will be taxed.

Mr. Dead
05-17-12, 2:54 pm
Whoa baby! That seems to be a long time to keep the muscle under tension. Just thinking about it the muscle will be taxed.

The pain will be exquisite...

"Down the dark decades of your pain, this will seem like a memory of Heaven..."

"What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain..."

"No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering..."

"Your suffering will be legendary, even in hell...!!!"

*LOL*

Hollow
05-17-12, 3:10 pm

"What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain..."

*LOL*

There's an oldie...Hellraiser...how appropriate!

Mr. Dead
05-17-12, 3:14 pm
There's an oldie...Hellraiser...how appropriate!

I find it very appropriate... Of course Rage and I are both sick and twisted... *LOL*

chasebayne
05-17-12, 3:16 pm

love this. A lot. i gotta find a blank wall to paint that on lol.

Rage
05-17-12, 3:57 pm
Don't over think this. The first 8 reps prime the muscle like a pump, the 6 negs exhaust the muscle. Pick a weight that you can finish both sides (8 + 6) for 2 sets. When you can finish that, then move up..that simple. HRT is like water. To make water, you need H and O in the right amounts and in the right order. HRT puts the right amount of concentric and eccentric reps together to produce both size and strength.

chasebayne
05-17-12, 7:20 pm
Don't over think this. The first 8 reps prime the muscle like a pump, the 6 negs exhaust the muscle. Pick a weight that you can finish both sides (8 + 6) for 2 sets. When you can finish that, then move up..that simple. HRT is like water. To make water, you need H and O in the right amounts and in the right order. HRT puts the right amount of concentric and eccentric reps together to produce both size and strength.

so are you basically saying muscle failure is muscle failure whether it happens at 6 or 4, as long as you go full tilt?

Hollow
05-18-12, 7:34 am

Lol...looks like I might be guilty of over thinking this one. I understand the fundamentals but I just wanted to be clear that the more important aspect of the sets/reps is the completion of the 6 eccentric reps. On the smaller muscle groups I've got it down pat however on chest and back that's a different story. It seems that I need to drop the weight down a considerable amount to achieve the concentric/eccentric pairing but on the same hand the concentric movement is too easy. Is it better to leave it this way then?

I greatly appreciate all the feed back on this topic.

Mr. Dead
05-18-12, 11:38 am
Lol...looks like I might be guilty of over thinking this one. I understand the fundamentals but I just wanted to be clear that the more important aspect of the sets/reps is the completion of the 6 eccentric reps. On the smaller muscle groups I've got it down pat however on chest and back that's a different story. It seems that I need to drop the weight down a considerable amount to achieve the concentric/eccentric pairing but on the same hand the concentric movement is too easy. Is it better to leave it this way then?

I greatly appreciate all the feed back on this topic.

Keep it simple...

Hollow
05-18-12, 11:44 am
Keep it simple...

I want to keep it simple yet I want it to be effective.

Mr. Dead
05-18-12, 11:56 am

*LOL*

I want to keep it simple yet I want it to be effective.

See the above... You're focusing on the poundage #... This isn't about poundage... This is about muscle inflammation and hypertrophy... The answers are right there...

Hollow
05-18-12, 11:59 am
To sum it up then, the single most important movement of this exercise is the eccentric portion then?

Mr. Dead
05-18-12, 12:05 pm
To sum it up then, the single most important movement of this exercise is the eccentric portion then?

As Rage stated in his post, both are equally important... the 1st 8 prime the pump... the last six empty the tank... I stated that you were in a mid-point, so you needed to slow the cadence down, before you went up in weight...

Hollow
05-18-12, 12:17 pm
As Rage stated in his post, both are equally important... the 1st 8 prime the pump... the last six empty the tank... I stated that you were in a mid-point, so you needed to slow the cadence down, before you went up in weight...

So, if I slow down the cadence on the 6 eccentric how exactly does that help me on the 8 concentric reps which you state "prime the pump"?

Mr. Dead
05-18-12, 12:29 pm
So, if I slow down the cadence on the 6 eccentric how exactly does that help me on the 8 concentric reps which you state "prime the pump"?

*Sigh...* It doesn't... You are hung up on the weight #... I can't fix that... (You are making this waaaaaaaaaay more difficult than it truly is...)

So... Let's try this... The first 8 reps are warm-ups, to make it so the last 6 with the 5-count are more difficult... If you can't do ALL of it... Then you're using too much weight... If it's too easy... Try lengthening the time of the 5-count, before going up in weight...

mm_tris
05-19-12, 9:24 am
Hollow1 how long have u been running this program?

I just started HRT for the first time this week and I can tell the first 2-3 cycles are definitely going to be adaption to the technique and finding the right weights for each exercise.
I have noticed that when starting new programs, especially when the reps/timings are changed- your muscles need a few weeks for exercise-specific adaption, and after that I can normally push through whatever I throw at them.
I would also suggest keeping a track of each workouts weights and reps, and also your mood at the start of each session to track changes.
Works for me...

chasebayne
05-19-12, 12:02 pm
*Sigh...* It doesn't... You are hung up on the weight #... I can't fix that... (You are making this waaaaaaaaaay more difficult than it truly is...)

So... Let's try this... The first 8 reps are warm-ups, to make it so the last 6 with the 5-count are more difficult... If you can't do ALL of it... Then you're using too much weight... If it's too easy... Try lengthening the time of the 5-count, before going up in weight...

lol i can see you face palming from texas

Mr. Dead
05-19-12, 10:59 pm
lol i can see you face palming from texas
Nope... No facepalm... Just wish I had a better way of explaining it...

Potter
07-02-12, 9:25 pm
Just about to knock out the last of week 1 tonight of HRT solo, loving every minute of it. This week's kinda been like orientation before tearing it up these next few months. Always been like the lazy, couch potato-ish, video game playin nerd so i never thought i'd say this, but i'm actually getting really excited about gettin this done.

Potter
07-02-12, 9:33 pm
Hollow1 how long have u been running this program?

I just started HRT for the first time this week and I can tell the first 2-3 cycles are definitely going to be adaption to the technique and finding the right weights for each exercise.
I have noticed that when starting new programs, especially when the reps/timings are changed- your muscles need a few weeks for exercise-specific adaption, and after that I can normally push through whatever I throw at them.
I would also suggest keeping a track of each workouts weights and reps, and also your mood at the start of each session to track changes.
Works for me...

that sounds about right, that's kinda how i've been doing it this week. Figure if the pain is kicking in by the 3rd-4th negative, then the weight is just about right. If it kicks in by then, then whatever i'm working is usually about to scream by the time i'm done.

If i can ask someone for advise on one exercise though: Leg Press HRT solo style, when i was doing my run of those, I had ahold of the hand grips for the normal reps, but for the negatives i tried a couple of times to let go of those to spot myself, but lost alot of my power in the process. Ended up knocking out the negatives just fine, but was the way i did that ok? I did my normal working either on that which I believe was 360lbs.

Rage
07-03-12, 12:15 pm
Just about to knock out the last of week 1 tonight of HRT solo, loving every minute of it. This week's kinda been like orientation before tearing it up these next few months. Always been like the lazy, couch potato-ish, video game playin nerd so i never thought i'd say this, but i'm actually getting really excited about gettin this done.

that sounds about right, that's kinda how i've been doing it this week. Figure if the pain is kicking in by the 3rd-4th negative, then the weight is just about right. If it kicks in by then, then whatever i'm working is usually about to scream by the time i'm done.

If i can ask someone for advise on one exercise though: Leg Press HRT solo style, when i was doing my run of those, I had ahold of the hand grips for the normal reps, but for the negatives i tried a couple of times to let go of those to spot myself, but lost alot of my power in the process. Ended up knocking out the negatives just fine, but was the way i did that ok? I did my normal working either on that which I believe was 360lbs.

Good to hear your on the straight and narrow. The way you did press is ideal Solo HRT. Great job.

Potter
07-03-12, 1:06 pm
Thanks Rage. last night went great. Plenty of notes down and everything's ready to go for the rest. Oh hey, did you get my message about the reverse hack squats?

Rage
07-03-12, 1:39 pm
Thanks Rage. last night went great. Plenty of notes down and everything's ready to go for the rest. Oh hey, did you get my message about the reverse hack squats?

Awesome. I don't recall the message but if your looking for a replacement do stiff leg deadlifts with a barbell or smith machine

Potter
07-03-12, 1:49 pm
definately somethin to think about if I need to change things up on it, but no I had asked on facebook if a reverse hack squat was about the same form as a good morning.

Rage
07-03-12, 2:08 pm
definately somethin to think about if I need to change things up on it, but no I had asked on facebook if a reverse hack squat was about the same form as a good morning.

Oh ok. I hardly get on facebook. Basically, yes as they relate to good mornings

Potter
07-03-12, 6:43 pm
Oh ok. I hardly get on facebook. Basically, yes as they relate to good mornings

That works. that was the only thing I really wasn't sure about on form. Everything else per what you've got on the videos and bb.com tracking sheets were fairly simple, only had to make a couple substitutions. some of the barbell stuff I'm doing on a cable machine with a straight bar so 1. I can keep better control of it and 2. of course since I won't have a spotter I can drop that and not worry about busting my toes or face.

Everything else has been great, HRT is a badass program! Shit still recovering from the chest routine from session 3, feel like someone tried to drop kick me. Actually, I did what you said on that routine and subed decline press for dips. I could do regular sets for those just fine, but had trouble getting a full set of eccentrics out for them. Feel like I was only able to do like 8+2 or 3 instead of 6. (REALLY out of shape, though improving. Trying to get back as much strength as I can.)

Potter
07-03-12, 6:48 pm
actually, that's the main area I've been suffering in so far is chest, been doing ok mostly everywhere else strength wise. If anyone has any good strength building advise for chest it would be greatly appreciated. Y'all are awesome (that's right, I said y'all)

chasebayne
07-04-12, 4:55 am
actually, that's the main area I've been suffering in so far is chest, been doing ok mostly everywhere else strength wise. If anyone has any good strength building advise for chest it would be greatly appreciated. Y'all are awesome (that's right, I said y'all)

if you just stay the course with HRT you will get strength gains. theres no fast way to do it with out risking injury, and thats definitely not somewhere you want a tear. there really isnt any room for adding on to HRT because it is so taxing on the body.
im glad its going well for you, ive got 16 days before i start and im stoked.

Potter
07-04-12, 6:18 pm
I knew it was, and I guess being on HRT I did answer my own question since Rage has said before that one of the things it's supposed to help is lagging body parts. it is definately rough, but addictive at the same right. this time last year, especially with some of the exercises I've been doing on HRT, hitting a fail point too early, I would have just put the weight down and either gone to something else or just say to hell with it and go home. Now, like with db tricep extension, I had a little trouble at first regulating what weight I should use to get started with, but I kept after it like an enemy I was bound and determined to defeat.
If I still have trouble with dips, would maybe decline press, but with dumbells, still work for the same area?

Potter
07-04-12, 6:19 pm
good to see someone on here a bit closer to my area as well by the way

chasebayne
07-05-12, 1:58 am
yes the south west gotta stick together. the dumb bells will actually do more for stability bc each arm has to keep it balanced individually. i know i have a deficit from left to right bc of many injuries, and using dumbbells means that your good side cant compensate for the weak side. bringing the weak side up, even if you are a few reps off. using dumbbells will increase your overall barbell numbers. if you find yourself failing with dumb bells on one side, after you finish what you need to with the good side you can use your good hand to slightly help you finish the reps you need on the bad side.. you'll be just fine. happy trails bro

Potter
07-08-12, 1:04 pm
Hey, question for other HRT solo goers:
On the hack squats and reverse hack squats, what kind of a stance do you guys do for that? I've been doing mostly shoulder width, maybe a touch wider.

chasebayne
07-26-12, 10:08 pm
im starting on the second. same day i start the farmers diet. this is gonna be fun.

mritter3
07-27-12, 7:25 am
im starting on the second. same day i start the farmers diet. this is gonna be fun.

Good stuff man..gonna be brutal but stick it out and reap the rewards

chasebayne
07-27-12, 7:06 pm
my mom wants me to visit soon, both the diet and the workouts are gonna be hard to keep up, but its worth a try. im pretty sure every bulk has room for moms cooking.
as far as work out, maybe i can get day passes at the family gym. i know they have all the equipment i need.

chasebayne
08-02-12, 8:20 pm
It has begun!

chasebayne
08-03-12, 12:49 am
so i dont have access to a hack squat or lying leg curl machine, what moves can i do to replace those on quad/ham day

Hollow
08-03-12, 7:32 am
so i dont have access to a hack squat or lying leg curl machine, what moves can i do to replace those on quad/ham day

step1toovercome you can still perform Hack Squats using an Olympic Bar:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html

As for the Lying Leg Curls, they can be done by laying on a bench and grasping a dumbbell with your feet. It's a bit tricky to get into the initial position but when in a pinch it's a decent alternative.

chasebayne
08-05-12, 2:07 am
thanks! how about the reverse hack squats? is there an equivalent alternative?

chasebayne
08-07-12, 10:37 pm
im on my last night of week 1 and im loving it so far. i figured out i could do good mornings in place of reverse hacksquats, and im really trying to hack squats right. something about the form eludes me. so until i get it right, im doing it with just the bar (still very effective). the first time i tried to do a BB hack squat when HRT first came out i fell on my ass. i do have a question about cardio tho. i know im supposed to keep it low-no but im very worried about gaining weight too fast, and ive already asked for diet advice on the Universalusa forums. so im trying to cover my bases here. after 1 week on the farmers diet and on HRT solo, ive gained 5#. it doesnt look like i have in fat or muscle, but the scale says so. im sure im not supposed to have gained that much just yet. so i was wondering about my cardio options, i walk, ride my bike, or ride my stationary bike.
should i do that 3-5 times a week to keep the fat at bay? (i put on fat like no ones business) which should i do, for how long, and how often?

i went on a bike ride today and after 2 miles my legs were on FIRE!!!! from leg day. i had jelly legs by the end of the ride. i have a cruising bicycle, the kind you ride on the beach (because im from the beach) so there's no different gears to change the resistance.
please help i dont want this diet/workout combo to backslide on me and make me fat and strong instead of just big and strong.

Mr. Dead
08-11-12, 10:51 am

As for the Lying Leg Curls, they can be done by laying on a bench and grasping a dumbbell with your feet. It's a bit tricky to get into the initial position but when in a pinch it's a decent alternative.

Good call...

chasebayne
08-12-12, 5:34 pm

i did end up doing hack squats on leg day, im still trying to get the form right bc when i do them theres nothing smooth about the motion, the bar gets caught in the back of my legs after i pass my knees with the bar. and it feels like a forearm workout trying to hold the bar back away from my legs.
what could i be doing wrong with my form?

Hollow
08-21-12, 1:34 pm
Here's how Wycked described doing the Hack Squats. Note, this explanation covers doing them on a Smith Machine.

feet foward

if the use of the hack squat is for the desired purpose of hitting that deep stretch and targeting the lower quad or tear drop region then a smith machine will be all u need. it has to do with foot placement and distance. the smith machine allows u to place your feet out in front of u and drop down with a perfectly straight back there for pushing the knees forward at the beginning of the movement and really placing a strain and stretch on the tear drop area. don't originate the sequence of your squatting movement by dropping your ass or hips instead slowly push the knees forward and allow your hips to naturally drop straight down.
keep the weight moderate to begin with and remember since your feet are slighty out in front of u your body weight should be leaning back against the bar just like a movement of a regular hack . if it helps look up @ the ceiling . if your head is up so will your chest and sternum therefore no back strain

MetalTechnician
08-25-12, 2:46 pm
On squats for this, which is the negitive? The up or down?

chasebayne
08-26-12, 4:08 am
On squats for this, which is the negitive? The up or down?
down.

MikeNice
09-28-12, 8:04 am

You can use a set of ankle straps and the cable machine for ham curls. Just grab a mat so you aren't face down against the gym floor. You might have to do one leg at a time depending on your gun's set up. Of course the old db between the feet method works as well. I would just worry about sneezing (or something) and dropping it.

ggfusion
10-10-12, 2:13 pm
I have been doing HRT Solo for a little while now, under the expert instruction of "Rage" and I have to say its one of the best methods for getting extremely pumped I have ever used. This system makes you bigger and stronger, period. What else do you want? Little shout out to Tom "Rage" Fuller for just being a kick ass guy, with a ass kicking system.

Garrick

BB2K
10-12-12, 11:20 am
I have been doing HRT Solo for a little while now, under the expert instruction of "Rage" and I have to say its one of the best methods for getting extremely pumped I have ever used. This system makes you bigger and stronger, period. What else do you want? Little shout out to Tom "Rage" Fuller for just being a kick ass guy, with a ass kicking system.

Garrick

GG you're a best bro! Keep up the great work!!

hair_74
10-19-12, 8:14 am
I am new to the FORUM so I am not sure if this is posted in the correct section

I just finished week two of HRT-Solo program last night and I love it. I do have a couple of questions though. I am in the military so I need to keep up my stamina and endurance and I can not go to the gym every night (wife needs to go too).

Starting Monday, I was thinking of changing to the following

Day 1 - HRT
Day 2 - Sprints and calitenics
Day 3 - HRT
Day 4 - Active Recovery
Day 5 - HRT
Day 6 - Timed 4 mi
Day 7 - HRT
Day 8 - Crossfit endurance WOD
Day 9 - Rest
Day 10 - Rest

Currently I am 200 lbs, 19% BF,

I am slowly increasing my calories. When I started I was eating a snack at lunch and dinner and desert/late night snack so I have no clue what my calories were I think between 1000 and 2000. Then I tried to jump right in with eating 3500 cal a day. that just made me feel sick and bloated after the first 2 days so I scaled back and right now I am aiming for 2000 to 2500 cal from real food.

I will also be starting a log in the "my Journy" section of the FORUM on monday

Any guidance would be greatly appriciated.

ΞRASΞЯ ♠
11-06-12, 6:41 am
Haven't been on here in a WHILE, but I'm sure glad to start this TODAY ! This is exactly what I've needed. I sling weight alone out in BFE and started to get stale . . .. .

Hollow
11-06-12, 9:26 am
I'm curious Rage if you've trained any powerlifters utilizing the HRT methodology?

Casper
11-12-12, 4:22 pm
Hi guys, I'm lil' curious about this training program, I'm ectomorph and I used to overtrain myself so my growth was getting slower. Can I use this program or is it better to use standard 3day split, for example: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/30-day-bones-to-buff-training.htm , or to use HRT with this split: 1 training day, 1 rest, 1 training ect. ?

Casper

Rage
11-19-12, 2:18 pm
I'm curious Rage if you've trained any powerlifters utilizing the HRT methodology?

Yes. Definitely effective but hasn't caught on with the majority of powerlifters as much as it has bodybuilders. It's tough to sell them on a muscle conditioning system that requires lowering the weight to push heavier weight. While effective, it is what it is.

Hi guys, I'm lil' curious about this training program, I'm ectomorph and I used to overtrain myself so my growth was getting slower. Can I use this program or is it better to use standard 3day split, for example: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/30-day-bones-to-buff-training.htm , or to use HRT with this split: 1 training day, 1 rest, 1 training ect. ?

Casper

Hey brother. I messaged you some more specifics, but as far as the routine, this is what I recommend. The split is broken down on this page. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hellraiser-solo.html

World Eater
12-03-12, 3:08 pm
Rage, after doing 5/3/1 for 6 weeks I decided to start HRT solo this week... just came back from day 1 in the gym and its messed up haha. Especially my delts are soaring and my forearms felt like they were on fire. I'm definitely curious to see how I change over the next 12 weeks!

Rage
12-03-12, 4:43 pm
Rage, after doing 5/3/1 for 6 weeks I decided to start HRT solo this week... just came back from day 1 in the gym and its messed up haha. Especially my delts are soaring and my forearms felt like they were on fire. I'm definitely curious to see how I change over the next 12 weeks!

Awesome brother. Keep me posted on how things are going.

Hollow
12-04-12, 6:43 am
Yes. Definitely effective but hasn't caught on with the majority of powerlifters as much as it has bodybuilders. It's tough to sell them on a muscle conditioning system that requires lowering the weight to push heavier weight. While effective, it is what it is.

Rage, I was wondering if you have anything written up on HRT for powerlifting?

Mr. Dead
12-04-12, 11:15 am

I know at one point and time, rev8ball was going to do a study and write up for that... But, that was a while back...

Hollow
12-06-12, 3:05 pm
I know at one point and time, rev8ball was going to do a study and write up for that... But, that was a while back...

Hmmm...Thanks Mr. Dead.

Mr. Dead
12-06-12, 3:09 pm
Hmmm...Thanks Mr. Dead.

No problemo...

Rage
12-06-12, 3:22 pm

I don't have any articles on that right now, but I have a lot of people that have experienced some great strength gains. I for one can tell you my experience recently. Most everyone knows I train HRT a few times a year, but normally don't do any powerlifting. So a couple of months ago, I decided to change up my own routine and incorporate some heavier training with some heavy benching. Now normally I would maybe put no more than 275 lbs on the bar HRT style, but after a few warm ups I threw 3 plates on there and pounded out 12 reps. That surprised even me to be honest. Ok, but what about 365....nailed 6 no problem. So I decided to throw on more than I ever benched in my life...405 lbs. So I'm thinking at age 45, this could be awesome or be disastrous lol. But what the fuck, I'll go for it...4 plates a side for this old man. I just wanted 1 rep nice and clean...unrack the weight myself and barely got the one I wanted. Then of course, I had to see if I could get two, but missed the second. Fast forward to last week and I got my 405 lbs on bench press for 2. So for now, thats the only write up I can provide my brothers. It's a tough thing to comprehend that you can actually get stronger by training HRT with a lighter weight, but yet almost everyone that has done HRT will tell you thats what happens. Only thing I can recommend is to try it for yourself.

Hollow
12-06-12, 3:27 pm
Outstanding Rage! Pressing that weight at your age...ahem...I'm not that far behind you but that would be a great goal to obtain. So, I guess it's back to the drawing board and give this HRT program another thought.

Thanks Rage!

World Eater
12-12-12, 3:03 pm
Awesome brother. Keep me posted on how things are going.
Week 2. I love the first workout day, shoulders/arms. My shoulders and bi's get a real nice sore from it which is surprising as they never really get sore.
I expected the days after quad/hams to be total hell but I'm barely sore at all. Weird as when I walked around the gym after my last set of leg extensions I felt like I was done for.

All in all I feel pretty good about it so far. Looking forward to the next 10 weeks.

Rage
12-17-12, 7:23 pm
Week 2. I love the first workout day, shoulders/arms. My shoulders and bi's get a real nice sore from it which is surprising as they never really get sore.
I expected the days after quad/hams to be total hell but I'm barely sore at all. Weird as when I walked around the gym after my last set of leg extensions I felt like I was done for.

All in all I feel pretty good about it so far. Looking forward to the next 10 weeks.

Try upping the weight on your leg days because typically, leg days are the worst while on just about any solid lifting routine. What lifts are you doing for quads and hams?

World Eater
12-18-12, 8:51 am
Try upping the weight on your leg days because typically, leg days are the worst while on just about any solid lifting routine. What lifts are you doing for quads and hams?
Quads - leg press, hack squat, leg extensions. Hams - reverse hack squat & lying leg curls.
What's strange is that when I walk out of the gym it feels like all leg days feel for me... Wobbly legs walking down the stairs, great pump, etc. It's just that I'm barely sore at all while when I was still on 5/3/1 my legs were sore as hell the next 2-3 days.

Rage
12-18-12, 7:00 pm
Quads - leg press, hack squat, leg extensions. Hams - reverse hack squat & lying leg curls.
What's strange is that when I walk out of the gym it feels like all leg days feel for me... Wobbly legs walking down the stairs, great pump, etc. It's just that I'm barely sore at all while when I was still on 5/3/1 my legs were sore as hell the next 2-3 days.

Solid routine. I can only suggest upping the weight if possible and the intensity.

charonjr
01-04-13, 4:24 am
Just started HRT today after reading this thread. It's difficult finding a training partner. My orientation is different and guys will be nice to my face but trash me behind my back. A couple of guys will spot if asked. But otherwise men at my gym claim they can't hold to a steady workout schedule with a partner or prefer to workout alone. Also, despite a 50 pound loss with a drop in bodyfat from 42% to 32%, since I'm at 285-290, I'm not taken seriously. There's more, but why gripe? I'm at the gym to workout, and while I like to smile and say hello, the fact that others are incapable of looking past their noses enough to communicate isn't my problem. It's theirs.

Well did back today. 3 exercises, 2 sets each, following the 8+6n rule. It is challenging and humbling. I don't usually bring my ego to the gym, but it must have snuck in anyway. My ego was, um, disatisfied that I had to drop poundage to do these exercises. I'm close to finding the correct weights, as I tried a low, then high poundage bracket to get a sense of the reps I could complete with strict form.

I did deadlifts, seated cable rows and pullups. The workout was quick, 40 minutes with rest. I got a good pump, and I expect to be sore in the morning. Of those exercises, I was toast. I couldn't have done more.

It's fun. Through my life I have known pain, physical and emotional. And here in the gym, I control it and conquer it.

Christman
01-04-13, 10:10 am
Just started HRT today after reading this thread. It's difficult finding a training partner. My orientation is different and guys will be nice to my face but trash me behind my back. A couple of guys will spot if asked. But otherwise men at my gym claim they can't hold to a steady workout schedule with a partner or prefer to workout alone. Also, despite a 50 pound loss with a drop in bodyfat from 42% to 32%, since I'm at 285-290, I'm not taken seriously. There's more, but why gripe? I'm at the gym to workout, and while I like to smile and say hello, the fact that others are incapable of looking past their noses enough to communicate isn't my problem. It's theirs.

Well did back today. 3 exercises, 2 sets each, following the 8+6n rule. It is challenging and humbling. I don't usually bring my ego to the gym, but it must have snuck in anyway. My ego was, um, disatisfied that I had to drop poundage to do these exercises. I'm close to finding the correct weights, as I tried a low, then high poundage bracket to get a sense of the reps I could complete with strict form.

I did deadlifts, seated cable rows and pullups. The workout was quick, 40 minutes with rest. I got a good pump, and I expect to be sore in the morning. Of those exercises, I was toast. I couldn't have done more.

It's fun. Through my life I have known pain, physical and emotional. And here in the gym, I control it and conquer it.

We are all brothers and sisters of the iron here; get in there, find the right weights that work for you, and make it happen. HRT is a killer workout!

Rage
01-04-13, 4:25 pm

We are all brothers and sisters of the iron here; get in there, find the right weights that work for you, and make it happen. HRT is a killer workout!

Couldn't have said it any better. Just stick with it!

charonjr
01-06-13, 3:42 pm
Hi Rage, I am really enjoying this program! The hardest moments are when I realize, during heavy breathing and gasping, that my muscles are attempting a brief rest before the next rep and I have to Force them to Move! The negatives stretch out in my mind and sometimes I lose count, but 5 comes around and then up again! I have to ask, when I was doing biceps curls, it almost seemed as though the muscle was working on the negative, yet resting at the same time, because they would pump and give a more powerful concentric contraction than the one before.

I do have to say that I am spoiled by lifting in the 1100 - 1530 region do leg press. Going down to 630 for HRT Solo is a very humbling experience. The morning after, my legs are still pumped! Have to at to get solid.

This is FUN!

Marty Mote
01-07-13, 1:36 am
Hi Rage, I am really enjoying this program! The hardest moments are when I realize, during heavy breathing and gasping, that my muscles are attempting a brief rest before the next rep and I have to Force them to Move! The negatives stretch out in my mind and sometimes I lose count, but 5 comes around and then up again! I have to ask, when I was doing biceps curls, it almost seemed as though the muscle was working on the negative, yet resting at the same time, because they would pump and give a more powerful concentric contraction than the one before.

I do have to say that I am spoiled by lifting in the 1100 - 1530 region do leg press. Going down to 630 for HRT Solo is a very humbling experience. The morning after, my legs are still pumped! Have to at to get solid.

This is FUN!

Charonjr,

Fifty pounds lost (per one of your previous posts) is quite an accomplishment, sir. Anyone who scoffs at you is probably neither as consistent nor has really acccomplished anything comparably noteworthy. Additionally, your HRT leg press weight of 630 lbs, that is nothing laugh at either...it's only OVER three times my body weight. As for myself, I finally got the HRT supplements a few days ago and H-day (what I have dubbed my HRT start day) is January 24, 2013 after I return from a week long business trip.

Stay motivated and lead by example, Charonjr!

Rage
01-08-13, 4:50 pm

This is FUN!

Right on brother! That's where most people give up. They simply cannot understand how dropping weight and using this technique can actually help make them stronger...requires a lot of faith, but never lets you down.

It's all about making the muscle work...conditioning it.

Rage
01-09-13, 3:36 pm
Charonjr,

Fifty pounds lost (per one of your previous posts) is quite an accomplishment, sir. Anyone who scoffs at you is probably neither as consistent nor has really acccomplished anything comparably noteworthy. Additionally, your HRT leg press weight of 630 lbs, that is nothing laugh at either...it's only OVER three times my body weight. As for myself, I finally got the HRT supplements a few days ago and H-day (what I have dubbed my HRT start day) is January 24, 2013 after I return from a week long business trip.

Stay motivated and lead by example, Charonjr!

True words. Wishing you the best on your HRT journey. Tear that shit up.

charonjr
01-13-13, 12:28 am
Rage, is there a mix up of the days? I loved the first week and am resting over this weekend. I didn't realize how badly I would need it! Any will be starting week 2 on Monday and was wondering if week 2 comes with its own set of exercises, or is a repeat of week 1?

I love this program!

David

charonjr
01-13-13, 9:19 pm
Oh, man! Rage and Marty.... I tried to work out on a rest day. It was good in some ways. I had done a 720 leg press HRT two days ago and I missed squats and body weight hack squats enough to try to do them today. Well. Squats were deep and slow at 135 x 6. 225x2 but only half way. The BW hacksquats were 3 sets of 7 at 284.5#, as slow as I could take them.

But then came the overwhelming sense of being dead tired afterwards. I'm lying down right now with my legs acting like spaghetti noodles! I know I need to rest and heal. Funny though that my ego just had to ride in again and have me workout when I shouldn't have. Must rest and eat, rest and eat!

Time for a nap!

But, you what? I feel great. I may have a ton of belly fat, but my legs and chest and back are feeling rock solid and I can see the difference in my legs already! I'll have to get someone to measure me.

David

charonjr
01-15-13, 4:44 am
Rest day today. 1/14 Tues

Rage
01-15-13, 4:28 pm
Rage, is there a mix up of the days? I loved the first week and am resting over this weekend. I didn't realize how badly I would need it! Any will be starting week 2 on Monday and was wondering if week 2 comes with its own set of exercises, or is a repeat of week 1?

I love this program!

David

Oh, man! Rage and Marty.... I tried to work out on a rest day. It was good in some ways. I had done a 720 leg press HRT two days ago and I missed squats and body weight hack squats enough to try to do them today. Well. Squats were deep and slow at 135 x 6. 225x2 but only half way. The BW hacksquats were 3 sets of 7 at 284.5#, as slow as I could take them.

But then came the overwhelming sense of being dead tired afterwards. I'm lying down right now with my legs acting like spaghetti noodles! I know I need to rest and heal. Funny though that my ego just had to ride in again and have me workout when I shouldn't have. Must rest and eat, rest and eat!

Time for a nap!

But, you what? I feel great. I may have a ton of belly fat, but my legs and chest and back are feeling rock solid and I can see the difference in my legs already! I'll have to get someone to measure me.

David

Hey brother. Each week is a repeat of the one prior, for a total of at least 12 weeks. Keep up the good work and definitely take advantage of those rest days.

Marty Mote
01-23-13, 2:56 am
I am back from my trip. I did my HRT Zero Week before I left. I will be tracking in the thread "Ductus Exemplo". Zero week results posted. Nothing special. I am interested to see how this goes. H-Day is just around the corner.

skibasgym
03-30-13, 3:36 pm
Rage, this is a great writeup. I just came across it. I have to tip my hat to anyone who trains solo. I personally rely on a good training partner to push me and I enjoy pushing my partner.

Rage
04-01-13, 2:15 pm
I am back from my trip. I did my HRT Zero Week before I left. I will be tracking in the thread "Ductus Exemplo". Zero week results posted. Nothing special. I am interested to see how this goes. H-Day is just around the corner.

Sounds great. Best of luck and let me know if I can help along the way.

Rage, this is a great writeup. I just came across it. I have to tip my hat to anyone who trains solo. I personally rely on a good training partner to push me and I enjoy pushing my partner.

Thanks brother. You've got one hell of a training facility. Definitely would like to train there someday.

WyfGymro
05-01-13, 11:27 am
Hi,

New to the forum. Good to be here. Came across HRT a few days ago, and very impressed by it. I am 46 and only started lifting two years ago. I have done strength-style training: 5x5; low reps, heavy weights. Preparing for my first powerlifting contest later this month.

I've never done bodybuilding routines previously - until now: I'm really keen to give HRT a crack, which I will after my comp on 19 May.

I am sure there are many guys in their 40s and 50s who train four days on the routine, and can cope very weel. But as I have only been hefting iron since May 2011, and usually train Mon-Wed-Fri, I think I would recover better on a three-day split. What I'm asking is: Is that allowed? I know some program designers, rightly so, get irritated when people mess with the routines they came up with: after all, they are the resulst of years' of experience and hard work, and these guys know the routines work.

But I was just wondering if you, Rage, mind at all a question about the possibility of doing a three-day split; something along these lines:

Day 1 Chest/Shoulders
Smith Bench 2 x 8+6
DB Incline bench 2 x 8+6
Pec dec 2 x 8+6
Smith seated shoulder press 2 x 8+6
Lateral raises 2 x 8+6
Shrugs 2 x 8+6

Day 2 Legs
Leg Press 2 x 8+6
Leg Extension 2 x 8+6
Smith Squats 2 x 8+6
Hamstring Raises/SLDL 2 x 8+6
Calf Raises 2 x8+6

Day 3 Back/Arms
DB/Barbell rows 2 x 8+6
Wide grip pulldown 2 x 8+6
Cable rows 2 x 8+6
Tricep machine press 2 x 8+6
Tricep pushdown 2 x8+6
Barbell curls 2 x 8+6
Incline DB curls 2 x 8+6

Thanks again for HRT - especially the "training solo" template.

W.G.

Rage
05-01-13, 12:17 pm
Hi,

New to the forum. Good to be here. Came across HRT a few days ago, and very impressed by it. I am 46 and only started lifting two years ago. I have done strength-style training: 5x5; low reps, heavy weights. Preparing for my first powerlifting contest later this month.

I've never done bodybuilding routines previously - until now: I'm really keen to give HRT a crack, which I will after my comp on 19 May.

I am sure there are many guys in their 40s and 50s who train four days on the routine, and can cope very weel. But as I have only been hefting iron since May 2011, and usually train Mon-Wed-Fri, I think I would recover better on a three-day split. What I'm asking is: Is that allowed? I know some program designers, rightly so, get irritated when people mess with the routines they came up with: after all, they are the resulst of years' of experience and hard work, and these guys know the routines work.

But I was just wondering if you, Rage, mind at all a question about the possibility of doing a three-day split; something along these lines:

Day 1 Chest/Shoulders
Smith Bench 2 x 8+6
DB Incline bench 2 x 8+6
Pec dec 2 x 8+6
Smith seated shoulder press 2 x 8+6
Lateral raises 2 x 8+6
Shrugs 2 x 8+6

Day 2 Legs
Leg Press 2 x 8+6
Leg Extension 2 x 8+6
Smith Squats 2 x 8+6
Hamstring Raises/SLDL 2 x 8+6
Calf Raises 2 x8+6

Day 3 Back/Arms
DB/Barbell rows 2 x 8+6
Wide grip pulldown 2 x 8+6
Cable rows 2 x 8+6
Tricep machine press 2 x 8+6
Tricep pushdown 2 x8+6
Barbell curls 2 x 8+6
Incline DB curls 2 x 8+6

Thanks again for HRT - especially the "training solo" template.

W.G.

Nice to meet you and thank you for giving HRT a go. I think you'll be pleased with the results, that is of course if you can humble yourself and accept the mindset of picking a lighter weight to develop not only more size, but even more strength. It's a concept that goes against the grain of traditional thinking, but yields results you can count on. I, personally, embrace change and flexibility in training. After all, that's how HRT was born. So you certainly don't have to be concerned that I'll get irritated over changing my own system up. I like the routine you've outlined. It's based and built on your own personal experience which I feel is very important. You have to become your own expert and this is proof you're on the right track even after only a short time in the sport. Leaving deads out of this particular routine was a wise choice and you should recover well if you follow the rest of the elements in the formula that will help get you there. Best of luck to you and let's touch base along the way, especially when you finish the 12 weeks. Talk soon.

WyfGymro
05-01-13, 12:25 pm
Nice to meet you and thank you for giving HRT a go. I think you'll be pleased with the results, that is of course if you can humble yourself and accept the mindset of picking a lighter weight to develop not only more size, but even more strength. It's a concept that goes against the grain of traditional thinking, but yields results you can count on. I, personally, embrace change and flexibility in training. After all, that's how HRT was born. So you certainly don't have to be concerned that I'll get irritated over changing my own system up. I like the routine you've outlined. It's based and built on your own personal experience which I feel is very important. You have to become your own expert and this is proof you're on the right track even after only a short time in the sport. Leaving deads out of this particular routine was a wise choice and you should recover well if you follow the rest of the elements in the formula that will help get you there. Best of luck to you and let's touch base along the way, especially when you finish the 12 weeks. Talk soon.

Hi Rage,

Thanks so much for replying and being so welcoming. To be honest, I will have no trouble humbling myself; I know very well how tough bodybuilding routines can be as I share my gym with many bodybuilders. It will be strange not to deadlift and squat for singles, doubles and triples, but I have never felt so excited about a bodybuilding routine as I have about yours. Thanks again for the support. I will let you know how thing are going. Aim to start week after my comp, and finish the 12-week plan in August - and hope I look different by then :)

Thanks again,
W.G.

Riffmaster
05-28-13, 7:26 am
This is awesome for me, because my training partner is a cop, and we rarely are able to work out together. I love HRT and hated not being able to get the full benefit without my partner. With these instructions, though, I can get back to completely tearing my muscles up. I watch the instructional vids over and over again while doing cardio, to really study all the aspects of it. You and Mike really get shit done. Your HRT method has given me more growth, strength, and power than anything else I've ever done. Nothing like it! Keep kickin ass rage, you're the man.

-Riffmaster

Rage
05-28-13, 2:06 pm
This is awesome for me, because my training partner is a cop, and we rarely are able to work out together. I love HRT and hated not being able to get the full benefit without my partner. With these instructions, though, I can get back to completely tearing my muscles up. I watch the instructional vids over and over again while doing cardio, to really study all the aspects of it. You and Mike really get shit done. Your HRT method has given me more growth, strength, and power than anything else I've ever done. Nothing like it! Keep kickin ass rage, you're the man.

-Riffmaster

Right on brother! Best of luck to you!

Brad23
06-18-13, 3:47 pm
I need to get back on this program!

Bigboep
10-30-13, 8:13 pm
this is great! gonna add this to the rotation.

Rage
10-31-13, 5:35 pm
I need to get back on this program!

Always good to run a cycle here and there

this is great! gonna add this to the rotation.

Best of luck brother

rbowman91
11-06-13, 11:27 am
Is that tom "sage" fuller??

Or Tom "Glazed" Fuller maybe?

Rage
11-11-13, 12:33 pm
Is that tom "sage" fuller??

Or Tom "Glazed" Fuller maybe?

lol

PapaCobra
01-29-14, 12:55 pm
Does anybody have any experience putting HRT training into a strength program. I'm coming up on a new cycle of the Cube and I wanna put more hypertrophy work in. I'm thinking about using 2 movements per strength day (eg. bench day gets DB incline HRT and flyers HRT) and 6-8 movements on the dedicated bodybuilding day. Any thoughts are welcome.

Mr. Dead
01-30-14, 12:03 pm
Does anybody have any experience putting HRT training into a strength program. I'm coming up on a new cycle of the Cube and I wanna put more hypertrophy work in. I'm thinking about using 2 movements per strength day (eg. bench day gets DB incline HRT and flyers HRT) and 6-8 movements on the dedicated bodybuilding day. Any thoughts are welcome.

I know Rage was working on devising such a program, but not sure how far he's gotten on it...

PapaCobra
01-30-14, 1:10 pm
I feel like it could work. I remember a Wendler article where he proposed using rest-pause training for accessory lifts. I'm gonna come up with a template and try it out (or if Rage has ideas, I'd be happy to be his guinea pig). The only thing I've got to lose is time, and that shit goes by no matter what we do.

Mr. Dead
01-30-14, 2:28 pm
I feel like it could work. I remember a Wendler article where he proposed using rest-pause training for accessory lifts. I'm gonna come up with a template and try it out (or if Rage has ideas, I'd be happy to be his guinea pig). The only thing I've got to lose is time, and that shit goes by no matter what we do.

He should be popping in here, and might have something for ya...

Rage
01-30-14, 7:49 pm

I encourage this behavior! We have abstracts that show an increase in strength when running 12 weeks straight Hellcentrics HRT, but I'm no expert when it comes to powerlifting. Periodization is normally a good call in any athletes prep arsenal, so fitting it in the way you describe here should be fine. I like to do things out of the norm and outside the box. Let us know how it goes.

PapaCobra
01-30-14, 8:35 pm
Will do, Rage. I'm working on a template as I write this. If i have any questions throughout the cycle, I'll post here and I'll detail everything in my log.

Thanks for the speedy responses guys!

Rage
01-31-14, 1:40 pm
Will do, Rage. I'm working on a template as I write this. If i have any questions throughout the cycle, I'll post here and I'll detail everything in my log.

Thanks for the speedy responses guys!

Roger that brother.

sandhog
03-06-14, 7:33 pm
Hey guys I'm 2 weeks into the HRT solo and I have to say I love the pain. I have one question. I start with a 10 min. cardio warm up and then right into the HRT. I noticed my workouts are about 45mins long except leg day which I seem to finish up in about 35 mins. Is this to short and how much time should I allow for rest in between sets?

Rage
03-07-14, 6:48 pm
Hey guys I'm 2 weeks into the HRT solo and I have to say I love the pain. I have one question. I start with a 10 min. cardio warm up and then right into the HRT. I noticed my workouts are about 45mins long except leg day which I seem to finish up in about 35 mins. Is this to short and how much time should I allow for rest in between sets?

Good to hear it's going well. 35 minutes is pretty short for a leg routine. That session should look something like this;

Leg Press 8 + 4/6
Hack Squats 8 + 4/6
Extensions 8 + 4/6
SLDL's or Reverse Hacks 8 + 4/6
Leg Curls 8 + 4/6

3 lifts for quads and 2 lifts for hams. Allow about 5 minutes rest between Press and Hack sets on quads and about 3 minutes rest between the sets for hams.

Best of luck!

sandhog
03-07-14, 7:49 pm
Thanks. I've been resting for 1 min. between sets on all training days this will help. Maybe I'll add 10 pounds to sets on leg days since my rest periods will be longer.