PDA

View Full Version : Can you gain muscle of power training

mr.bump
07-03-10, 8:13 am
Am thinking of switching to power traning for a few months (proberly start this around september) but I want to know can you gain muscle of it ? I wont be doing it just for muscle but I want to know If I still eat allot then will I gain muscle ?

Legacy
07-03-10, 9:16 am
Am thinking of switching to power traning for a few months (proberly start this around september) but I want to know can you gain muscle of it ? I wont be doing it just for muscle but I want to know If I still eat allot then will I gain muscle ?

I have been doing some power training in my routine (if my power training means what yours does lol). I do a typical bodybuilding routine, however before I start my routine I always do a power move in the beginning. Usually do about 5 sets working in percentages of my max no more than 5 reps. Exercises I am doing now are bench, deads, squats, power cleans, and close grip bench. I have seen some pretty good results from it when I added it to my typical routine. I can post my routine if you wanna seee it

mr.bump
07-03-10, 9:51 am
Can you mix it up ? like do 4 x 5 for power 3 mins rest around 80% of your 1 rep max (weigt you can lift fast but its not to light) and then on the end add in 2 sets of 12

Am looking on doing something like this

sun
push
4x5 then 2 x 12 lighter weight
bench
mill press or push press
russian twist 4 x 10

mon
legs
squats
stiff deads
hanging leg raise 4 x 10

wed
pull
Clean and press
deadlift
barbell rows

friday
bits and bobs plus bw workouts
curls 5x12
tricep extensions 5 x 12
side and front raises 4x10
shrugs 4 x 10

These 4 x to failure
pushups
dips
pullups
burpees

AFTER WRITING THIS I FOUND THIS (saved the above because the internet wouldnt connect)

http://www.criticalbench.com/power-strength-training.htm

Myth 7: You cannot gain a lot of mass and a lot of strength at the same time.

"At the Westside Barbell Club the main complaint from some of the lifters is that they gain to much muscle and have to move up two or three weight classes. And that’s despite their efforts to keep that from happening. The added mass is simply a by product of their training"

mr.bump
07-03-10, 9:53 am
I have been doing some power training in my routine (if my power training means what yours does lol). I do a typical bodybuilding routine, however before I start my routine I always do a power move in the beginning. Usually do about 5 sets working in percentages of my max no more than 5 reps. Exercises I am doing now are bench, deads, squats, power cleans, and close grip bench. I have seen some pretty good results from it when I added it to my typical routine. I can post my routine if you wanna seee it

Yeh I wouldnt mind a look at that.
BTW am not looking on going into a competion or anything I just like lifting heavy weight for a few sets than a lightish weight for loads of reps,the bb way bores me

mcbeast
07-03-10, 10:22 am
I think you are just overthinking things.. I know people, including myself who train fairly instinctively. The most normal my "routine" gets is keepin the big lifts. Sq, Bp, Dl, Pushpress. These usually stay pretty low reps, explosive movements. I also throw in cleans, "implement" training with tires, chains, kegs, sandbags etc. Ontop of all that I still get in my "pump" training on occasion. Flushin the muscles. NOW, I am by no means an expert cause I most definetely havent put on much mass (then again, thats not my goal) but Im sure if your eating like mad, and training for strength you will still gain.

Btw, that link proves some good points. That split isnt all that bad either!

mr.bump
07-03-10, 10:42 am
My split or the split on that link ?

And the reason am asking this question is because am on ws4sb and am not realy into am not realy gaining anything (could be eatin a bit more) but a few months into working out I was doing 5x5 and I was getting better gains than what am doing now.
I also do want some power for when I am on the boxing bag.

What are you'r goals ? whats you'r workout look like

intoodeep25
07-03-10, 12:46 pm
agreed with excessive. keep things basic and educate yourself. ive been training for strength, and i have been gaining size. i do 5-3-1. main lift first, working off percentages, then my accessory work. for example, on back day i would do my deads first. after deads i would move to either db rows or bb rows, then to pullups or pulldowns, then some bicep work, neck work at the end and im done. look up wendlers 5-3-1 on google, find the template and see what you think. its a great program

mcbeast
07-03-10, 12:47 pm
agreed with excessive. keep things basic and educate yourself. ive been training for strength, and i have been gaining size. i do 5-3-1. main lift first, working off percentages, then my accessory work. for example, on back day i would do my deads first. after deads i would move to either db rows or bb rows, then to pullups or pulldowns, then some bicep work, neck work at the end and im done. look up wendlers 5-3-1 on google, find the template and see what you think. its a great program

I agree that 531 is a great program, but dont expect your maxes to stay the same, haha.

intoodeep25
07-03-10, 4:06 pm
I agree that 531 is a great program, but dont expect your maxes to stay the same, haha.

thats the best part of the program lol, your max is always increasing

prowrestler
07-04-10, 1:21 am
if you wanted to be a better hockey player..would you join a lacrosse training camp?

train for the goal....size? bodybuilding. power/strength? powerlifting/OLY or strongman.

its really not complicated

mr.bump
07-04-10, 6:15 am
thats the best part of the program lol, your max is always increasing

That your max lifts tho am on about traning for power.

if you wanted to be a better hockey player..would you join a lacrosse training camp?

train for the goal....size? bodybuilding. power/strength? powerlifting/OLY or strongman.

its really not complicated

I want both size and power

When I first started I was getting better results from 5x5 than I was of 5x10-12

mcbeast
07-04-10, 6:07 pm
Listen bro, seeing as you don't plan on doing any competitive sport take a step back and ask yourself why your doing this? If your anything like me, you just want to be above the fray. Big, strong and have people look to you. Also there comes the "oh shit" factor. when shit hits the fan, do you want to have what it takes to complete your task at hand?

So what I'm sayin is this. Eat well, train hard. If strength is your priority follow a basic lifting program or just follow the big compound lifts with good form, lower reps, and switch up dynamic and maximum effort

Overall its not that hard. Ont overcomplicate things. Fuel your body and move heavy shit

VANDAL340
07-05-10, 4:14 pm
I trained in bodybuilding style for long time.I feel that my gains were to little at the end, so I decided to switch into SIMPLE powerlifting routine. When strength will go up I'll return to BB routine, with new weights that will give new gains...

so PL can give U mass hahaha... but of course, I gain a little mass too on PL (obviously do to changes in dieting, do to compound movements etc.)

besides look at Ronnie, Dorian. All lifted heavy shit, sometimes in very low rep scheme, so give it a try from time to time, but be always dedicate to BB, as Your main sport and that's all...