PDA

View Full Version : Old Man on a Mission

Mattman33
07-04-10, 8:01 pm
It is summer, and I wanted to start this journey now as things are really falling into place for me. I just will be leaving myself random notes here so I can keep tabs on my progress. My main focus this summer has to be my diet, and I will be appreciative of any comments on how that can improve.

my goals are simple...bust my ass in the gym, and to become fully aware of my nutritional needs to feed that hard work.

I was relying on whey protein shakes too much. I now see my flaw. I wanted to take the easy way out with my nutrition. I wanted the hard work in the gym to be enough.

I know you guys will want to know my meals, so here it goes...
Meal 1=7am-6 egg whites and 1/2 cups of oats OR 2 egg whites, 1 cup of kashi go lean, 1 cup of greek yogurt.
Meal 2=9am-2 scoops of whey protein, 1/2 cups oats, a banana
10am-workout
Meal 3=12:30pm-10 oz of turkey, 1/2 bag of brown rice, a handful of almonds.
Meal 4=3:30pm-5-6 oz of chicken, 1 sweet potatoe, and green veggies
Meal 5=6:30pm (Whatever my wife fixes for dinner) - This usually includes chicken, rice, veggies, sweet potatoes. We tend to eat pretty healthy and she does listen to my suggestions on what I need to eat.
Meal 6=10pm-2 scoops of whey

It may vary slightly, but is around 3,000 cal. with approximately 325g of protein, 275 g. of carbs, and about 50g. of fat. (very rough estimates)

Supplements are very basic...
Preworkout-Shock Therapy, and EAA Nitro
Intra- 2 scoops of BCAA Stack
Post Workout-Torrent Zero (Man I just love that Apple Jacked flavor)
I tend to drink water with the BCAA Stack mixed in throughout the day. I drink about 2 gallons a day...

let's post this before I lose it...

Mattman33
07-04-10, 8:09 pm
Workout...

I am doing a workout that Vinny G. suggested to me...
Sunday-Arms
Monday-Off
Tuesday-Chest/Shoulders
Wednesday-Off
Thursday-Legs
Friday-Off
Saturday-Back/Traps

I am doing more super sets, and I am on week 3 of the high rep scheme. This is absolutely a blast, and I feel that I am getting so much out of it right now. (Especially now that I am eating better)

I add cardio after most of my workouts, and I am trying to find the fine line that I need to do to drop the excess body fat, without losing the lean muscle that I have worked so hard for. I usually do 3 sessions of 20 minute hit training, 1 longer session where I try to go 30-45 minutes, and 1 barefoot jog session on the treadmill. All in all I see progress, but want to keep ramping it up over the summer.

Thanks for taking the time to read this...

The House
07-04-10, 10:13 pm
happy 4th be safe and eat some hot dogs for me

C.Coronato
07-06-10, 10:00 am
Everything looks in track. How are you feelin with that diet?

Mattman33
07-06-10, 1:28 pm
happy 4th be safe and eat some hot dogs for me
Thanks for stopping by...I took care of that request, and am paying for it today.

Everything looks in track. How are you feelin with that diet?

Thanks. That means a lot coming from you, since I am following your lead and added 2 of the new beef aminos to each meal. It has been just over 1 week on the new meal plan, and I feel better then ever. I can't believe I waited this long to get serious with the nutrition, but I guess I am very stubborn.

Mattman33
07-06-10, 1:45 pm
I am learning the value of meal prep. I am learning to prepare meals in advance. It has really helped me secure my 3rd and 4th meals of the day. I see how important, as I come home from the gym, and find it ready to go.

Breakfast is still pretty much the same

1 cup Kashi Go Lean 13 30 1 140
*1 scoop whey 24 5 1 130
or
*3 egg whites 12 0 0 51
1/2 cup Milk 1% 4 6.5 1.25 55
Greek Yogurt 12 19 0 130

*I try to get the egg whites in, but sub in on occasion when I run out of time.

I am still having issues in calculating the % for the macro nutrients as it seems to always come out over 100%. I know that you take the grams of protein X 4/total calories, right?

I know that carbs is the same formula, and that you multiply fat grams X 9...but when I add the percents I get over 100....

Meal 2 is my shake. For now that is 2 scoops of whey, and 1/2 cups of oats.

Meal 3 is my favorite. The turkey and rice is easy to cook, and easier to eat after I workout.

Mattman33
07-06-10, 1:53 pm
Chest/Shoulders

Warmup on Incline 4 sets of 15-20 reps
*Light weight, and a variety of different width grips to help get the blood into my chest and shoulders

3 sets of
Flat DB press (15 reps) compounded with low incline DB flyes (20 reps)
Incline Hammer Press (15 reps) compounded with cable crossover (20 reps with a pause)
Decline DB Press (15 reps) compounded with Pushups to failure

Seated Front Press on Smith (12-15 reps) compounded with side laterals (20-25 reps)
Seated Rear Press on Smith (15 reps) compounded with front laterals (20-25 reps)

Drank my torrent zero and went home. I will do cardio/abs this evening when I have more time.

The meals are working as I got 2 comments from people asking me what I am doing different as I am getting bigger.

Mattman33
07-07-10, 2:06 pm
Off day which means food prep day.

This is a good thing as I don't think I could move as a result of the chest/shoulder workout from yesterday.

Mattman33
07-08-10, 2:38 pm
got my food log figured out so it correctly calculates the proper percentages for the 3 basic macro nutrients. looks like right now i am consuming slightly over 3K calories. (45% protein, 40% carbs, and 15% fats)

I would like to up my protein levels slightly, and just need to figure how to go about doing that with food.

today was legs.
warmup on the bike
sled drags (pulling) 3 sets of increasing weight ending around 300 pounds.
squats 135X10, 185X10, 225X10, and 275X4 (last week i only got two)
3 sets of
hack squat (15 reps) compounded with leg press (20-25 reps)
leg extensions drop sets (10/10/10) with a slight pause
glute ham raises (BW for 10 reps) and stiff legged deadlifts DB (15 reps)
lying leg curl (15 reps with a pause)
walking lunges

Legs are fried. I am heading back to the gym with my son, and plan to blast calves then. he is almost nine and is starting a speed and agility clinic there. he is pysched that he gets to go to the gym with his dad.

Mattman33
07-12-10, 12:43 pm
I know this is a few days late, but my son is keeping me pretty busy this summer.

Saturday was Back/traps
Pullups 2 sets of reps, and 2 sets of holds with a slow decent
3 sets of Hammer Pulldowns (15 reps)/and DB rows (20 reps)
3 sets of Low pulley rows (15 sets)/and straight arm pulldowns (20 reps)
3 sets of rows (12-15 reps)/DB pullovers (20 reps)
Barbell shrugs 3 sets of 20 reps with a pause
DB shrugs 4 sets of 15 reps

Sunday was arms
Warmup
Barbell curls 4 sets of 20 reps
seated DB curls/hammer curls
high pulley curls/triceps pushdowns
weighted dips 3 sets of 10-15 reps (last set is without the added weight)
skull crusher/closegrip bench
partial range pushdowns/over extension
forearms

Mattman33
07-13-10, 8:52 am
off day. i found myself at the gym with my son and decided to get on a eliptical and do some cardio.

1 min on machine, then got off to hit 10 exerball crunches
then i hopped back on and did 2 minutes on, and the 20 crunches
3 minutes on and then 30 crunches
4 minutes on and then 40 crunches
5 minutes on and then 50 crunches
and i went back down the ladder to 1 minute again

total
25 minutes on the eliptical
250 crunches

drank my torrent zero and finished watching my son workout...great day

Mattman33
07-13-10, 1:52 pm
Chest/Shoulders

Warmup on Incline 4 sets of 15-20 reps
*Light weight, and a variety of different width grips to help get the blood into my chest and shoulders

3 sets of
Flat DB press (15 reps) compounded with low incline DB flyes (20 reps)
Incline Hammer Press (15 reps) compounded with cable crossover (20 reps with a pause)
Decline DB Press (15 reps) compounded with Pushups to failure

Seated Front Press on Smith (12-15 reps) compounded with side laterals (20-25 reps)
Seated Rear Press on Smith (15 reps) compounded with front laterals (20-25 reps)

Drank my torrent zero and went home. I will do cardio/abs this evening when I have more time.

pretty much the same as last weeks went so well. i adjusted the flat db presses to a low incline db press. i literally had nothing left and had to sit in my truck drinking my torrent zero to gather myself for the ride home.

Mattman33
07-23-10, 9:38 pm
i took my son to the baseball hall of fame this past week, so things have been a little off.

I got back on Thursday and did legs.
10 minutes on the bike
Squats
135, 185, 225, and 275. Concentrating on form, and depth!
Leg Press/Stiff legged Dead Lifts
Leg Ext
Leg Curl
Calves

Friday found me in the sun doing some minor strongman lifts
Farmers Walk (50 ft out, and back)
135/185/205
Light Yoke Walk
Sled Drag up and down a slight hill
Car Push up that same hill

Mattman33
07-23-10, 9:44 pm
The strongman training felt good today. I am training with a guy that competes, so I find some serious motivation while working out with him. I love the gym, but find the strongman training a great way to put that hard work to the test.

It had been almost a year since I trained with him, and he definitely commented on my increased strength. Things are really starting to snowball with my training since I have taken the nutritional part of it more seriously. Speaking of that I need to go eat....peace

Mattman33
09-14-10, 7:09 pm
to be continued....