PDA

View Full Version : Training & Work

Goliathus
07-07-10, 9:03 pm
So on Monday, this upcoming Monday, the 12th I move to 12 hour shifts at work...7 days a week, at LEAST until the end of the Month, maybe some into August.

Now the question here is...should I use this time as some time off, get some good recoup, then when what we have in our shop is done, come back and hit it hard again, or try and fit my training into my schedule-from-hell?

I can forsee it being really hard to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, AND somehow fit my training in there...

Machine
07-07-10, 9:18 pm
I recommend some stripped down training sessions. Utilizing only the most very basic of movements...now is the time for reduction of total gym workload. You must go into the gym with your motor in high gear and you must get in and out in 30-45 minutes for this to work. You must also address the nutritional aspect of this low rest period. You can only hope to keep your training momentum alive by ensuring adequate caloric adjustment throughout this time frame.

Good luck.

MACHINE

Legacy
07-07-10, 10:03 pm
So on Monday, this upcoming Monday, the 12th I move to 12 hour shifts at work...7 days a week, at LEAST until the end of the Month, maybe some into August.

Now the question here is...should I use this time as some time off, get some good recoup, then when what we have in our shop is done, come back and hit it hard again, or try and fit my training into my schedule-from-hell?

I can forsee it being really hard to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, AND somehow fit my training in there...

I look at it as a test bro. Last year for my job I had to work 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week for 4 straight months, IT SUCKS. I'll tell you what though, it takes hard work. Hittin it at work all day and also finding gym time was hard, even harder was staying on top of nutrition. But if you can get through it man, thats hard work, thats dedication. When I was working those hours every day, I switched to the 5x5 routine after a while. It allowed me to be in the gym 3 days a week and keep my strength up; I just couldn't keep on the 5 day split I was on. I also found out that hittin the gym before work helped me out. After working all day I had no energy for the gym afterwards so I always lifted in the AM. Had to get up earlier, but it was worth it. And like machine said, keep it to 45 minutes in the gym, get in and get out.

Goliathus
07-07-10, 10:15 pm
That's what I was plannin on doing...just trying to fit the right muscle groups together.

I was thinkin: Chest, Shoulders, Tris
Back, Bis.
Legs.

Probably Monday, Wed, Friday.

Incline & Flies or dips for chest. Presses and raises for shoulders. Skullcrushers for tris
Deads, Pullups, and a row for back. Some sort of curls.
Then squats, extensions, leg curls, and some straightleg deadlift.

That'll keep my routines short. Doing heavy weights on it all, supersets if I have to.

Legacy
07-07-10, 10:53 pm
That's what I was plannin on doing...just trying to fit the right muscle groups together.

I was thinkin: Chest, Shoulders, Tris
Back, Bis.
Legs.

Probably Monday, Wed, Friday.

Incline & Flies or dips for chest. Presses and raises for shoulders. Skullcrushers for tris
Deads, Pullups, and a row for back. Some sort of curls.
Then squats, extensions, leg curls, and some straightleg deadlift.

That'll keep my routines short. Doing heavy weights on it all, supersets if I have to.

I see what you mean. A push/pull/legs routine is also a good split. I was doing a typical bodybuilding split before I started those crazy hours and when I started the work schedule I switched to a strength routine because I couldn't keep my body full. I just went to a typical 3 day split with a lot of olympic lifting and power moves. I also threw in some bodyweight stuff for accessory work with arms.

B. Rowe
07-07-10, 11:14 pm
I see what you mean. A push/pull/legs routine is also a good split. I was doing a typical bodybuilding split before I started those crazy hours and when I started the work schedule I switched to a strength routine because I couldn't keep my body full. I just went to a typical 3 day split with a lot of olympic lifting and power moves. I also threw in some bodyweight stuff for accessory work with arms.

Kinda along the lines i was going to suggest. Do a push/pull split with alot of compound movements (ie: squats, cleans, deads, high pulls, standing dumbell presses) throw in some bench, pull ups, and a few isolation exercises for bis, tris, maybe quads if your up to it. This will get you in and out fairly quickly, maintain mass and strength, and give your core a hell of a workout. Give yourself 2 days rest between workouts and the rest of the work is going to come from trying to keep your nutrition in check.

Best of luck

Legacy
07-08-10, 11:12 am
Give yourself 2 days rest between workouts and the rest of the work is going to come from trying to keep your nutrition in check.

Best of luck

Agreed 100%. I found keeping nutrition in tact was harder than getting to the gym. Make sure your nutrition is on point. Better to miss a workout than a meal.

Cellardweller
07-08-10, 1:36 pm
I'm working 12 hr shifts. I'll work a 3 day weekend, have monday off then I'm on again for 2 days. During that time I try to squeeze my workouts in best I can. Best thing is to do short sessions, like one pody part not paired with another. Like just chest, but not chest and tri's. Sleep can suffer. Its worse with kids too. Pack lots of food for work.

RogueLion
07-08-10, 10:30 pm
What do you guys do for work? Sounds ballsy, like a pickup truck commercial kind of ballsy.

Legacy
07-08-10, 11:11 pm
What do you guys do for work? Sounds ballsy, like a pickup truck commercial kind of ballsy.

At the time when I was working 13 hour days 7 days a week, I was a strength and conditioning coach with the Pittsburgh Pirates Organization. Now I am in law enforcement, we work 12 hour rotating shifts 2 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on, 3 days off. So its not a bad schedule now, usually work about 14 days out of the month.

B. Rowe
07-08-10, 11:19 pm
My heart goes out to all of you working long hours or strenuous jobs, every school break i always framed houses and this past year i worked for a big framing crew getting in 50-60 hours a week and trying to train. Good thing was i could eat like a horse because i would burn everything. Bad thing was the energy levels to train after working in sun (or snow) all day, plus the joint pain from swinging a hammer, lumping lumber, and pushing weights everyday. I mixed things up and would train in am as long as we werent traveling far for work. I am blessed that my life has changed and my gains have shot through the roof without the added physical stress, but now i have to do more cardio lol. Best of luck to all you blue collar meat heads

Cellardweller
07-09-10, 1:03 pm

LOL. I'm an ER nurse. A BALLSY nurse mind you. :) Hardest part of my job is working without any breaks. It's incredibly stressful too. I'm usually more emotionally drained.

AntoineV
07-09-10, 1:59 pm
What you can do is do more intensity and less volume with more bodyparts in one training sessions. Or you can do 6 small training sessions with one day being biceps, one day delts, etc. that would last 30 minutes....

You should do your workout BEFORE your 12 hour shift too... that way you have the rest of the day focusing on working and eating.

LegendKillerJosh
07-09-10, 10:47 pm
I would suggest just lifting once per week. Try a full body routine, just 1 exercise per body part and do just 3-4 sets each. I would try:

Bench Press - 4 sets
Dips - 4 sets
DB Military press - 4 sets
Squats - 4 sets
Calf Raises - 4 sets
Chin ups - 4 sets

It will be tough doing all that, but its just one day a week and the rest of the week you can eat and grow.

If you want to go to 2 workouts per week you could try something like chest/back/delts and then legs/arms/abs.

B. Rowe
07-09-10, 10:54 pm
You should do your workout BEFORE your 12 hour shift too... that way you have the rest of the day focusing on working and eating.

Working out before work is great, you start the day energized and since you have gotten your workout in the morning your metabolism runs a little higher throughout the day which could lead to leaner muscle gains if you diet properly.

Legacy
07-09-10, 11:00 pm
I would suggest just lifting once per week. Try a full body routine, just 1 exercise per body part and do just 3-4 sets each. I would try:

Bench Press - 4 sets
Dips - 4 sets
DB Military press - 4 sets
Squats - 4 sets
Calf Raises - 4 sets
Chin ups - 4 sets

It will be tough doing all that, but its just one day a week and the rest of the week you can eat and grow.

If you want to go to 2 workouts per week you could try something like chest/back/delts and then legs/arms/abs.

A full body workout is a great idea, however the above plan would need some tweaking. You can't train 1 day per week with 4 sets per bodypart and expect to see and changes. If you were going to do a full body workout, I would suggest hitting it 3 times per week, 2 at a minimum, and like me and B Rowe said, throw in a lot of power compound movements. 4 sets per bodypart just won't cut it enough to only hit it once per week, the muscle wouldn't be torn down enough, and if it did, it would repair fairly quickly.

Go with what Antoine said, get your workouts in before your 12 hour shift, that way you can lift, head to work and eat during the day, then when you come home go to bed and repeat. I think lifting helps before work. I noticed when I lifted before work I had more energy throughout the day, I didn't worry about getting a workout in after work, and I had the remainder of the day to do whatever I had to get done.

I would say your best bet still is going to be a 3-4 day split. Heavy power moves and a high intensity low volume routine would be great. Get in the gym and get out. One thing I noticed too was that if you lift before work, it forces you to get things done. Say you have to be to work at 7 A.M, you know you have to finish your workout to get to work in time, so it helps you get through your routine and stops you from going too much.

LegendKillerJosh
07-09-10, 11:47 pm
A full body workout is a great idea, however the above plan would need some tweaking. You can't train 1 day per week with 4 sets per bodypart and expect to see and changes. If you were going to do a full body workout, I would suggest hitting it 3 times per week, 2 at a minimum, and like me and B Rowe said, throw in a lot of power compound movements. 4 sets per bodypart just won't cut it enough to only hit it once per week, the muscle wouldn't be torn down enough, and if it did, it would repair fairly quickly.

Go with what Antoine said, get your workouts in before your 12 hour shift, that way you can lift, head to work and eat during the day, then when you come home go to bed and repeat. I think lifting helps before work. I noticed when I lifted before work I had more energy throughout the day, I didn't worry about getting a workout in after work, and I had the remainder of the day to do whatever I had to get done.

I would say your best bet still is going to be a 3-4 day split. Heavy power moves and a high intensity low volume routine would be great. Get in the gym and get out. One thing I noticed too was that if you lift before work, it forces you to get things done. Say you have to be to work at 7 A.M, you know you have to finish your workout to get to work in time, so it helps you get through your routine and stops you from going too much.

I've seen growth from doing a single set per body part, when I was following Mike Mentzers routine. As long as the set is done slow, controlled, with heavy weights until absolute failure, it is enough to stimulate growth. People who say they haven't seen results trying a HIT routine probably just didn't understand what it takes to actually do that routine.

B. Rowe
07-10-10, 11:12 pm
I've seen growth from doing a single set per body part, when I was following Mike Mentzers routine. As long as the set is done slow, controlled, with heavy weights until absolute failure, it is enough to stimulate growth. People who say they haven't seen results trying a HIT routine probably just didn't understand what it takes to actually do that routine.

DC style training is based on the concept of one working set, which has gained alot of popularity, but the issue is getting to the gym that many times a week. If your workin 7 days you dont want to have to go 5-6 days, get in 2 maybe 3 sessions about 45-50 min high intensity compound movements and this will free up more time in your life to spend with family or just catching up on sleep

Goliathus
07-11-10, 11:57 am
I work in a Machine/Weld shop, a big company that works on Steam Turbines for Power plants.

Goliathus
07-11-10, 12:07 pm
It now turns out that i'm not working those shifts...yet. -_-
but I'm goin to be getting there soon.
I'm glad I have all the input now.

It's a pain trying to decide what I should do though

Legacy
07-11-10, 12:55 pm

Best advice I can give you man is continue training. Cause once you stop while your doing those 12 hour shifts everyday, its going to be harder to motivate yourself to get back in cause your working so much. I'd say your best bet is to train 4 days a week with short intense workouts. Get in, get out and recover the rest of the day.

B. Rowe
07-11-10, 2:28 pm

well this should motivate you to kick you training into overdrive now to make up for whatever downsides you run into during the future shifts

Goliathus
07-11-10, 5:09 pm
That's what I'm planning on.
My diet is where i'm lacking most

And that's the biggest pain int he ass, because thats the biggest part.

B. Rowe
07-11-10, 8:08 pm
That's what I'm planning on.
My diet is where i'm lacking most

And that's the biggest pain int he ass, because thats the biggest part.

Just try to pre-plan meals, make them ahead of time and pack them in tupper ware and take with you. Shakes and bars arent the best option but they are better than nothing.

Goliathus
07-12-10, 10:22 pm
So, something a bit ironic.

I go into work today, pleased that during the job we have in our shop, I'll be able to stick to my routine and my schedule, working 8-430.

I find out that they need a Lead Man on nights in our Weld shop, and I get to be that lucky go, 7PM-7AM.

SO...BACK to my original question...

B. Rowe
07-12-10, 10:33 pm
You on a 7 day shift or 5?

Goliathus
07-12-10, 10:37 pm
7 unfortunately.

Management says its only for 10 days.
But when they say 10 days, it's really saying "well until further notice..."

My direct boss told me "they say 10 days, 3 weeks later you're still working 12s. So expect 2-3 weeks, at least."

Goliathus
07-12-10, 10:41 pm
I'm at a pretty decent stage at the moment.
I simplified my routine, a LOT. And I've been gaining so much.
I'm taking a weight gainer for breakfast and post workout: 30g protein, 125g Carbs, & 650 Calories Per scoop.

I finally hit 190, and I'm shooting for 200 by the end of summer...and I've yet to get my diet down.

I'm hoping to at least maintain 190 throughout here. Still being able to GAIN would be a Godsend.
I guess if I can eat, I'll be able to.

I get a break at 915, a paid lunch at 12, a 15min break at 315, and lastly another 15 min break at 530.

That's plenty of time to eat...

B. Rowe
07-13-10, 12:32 am
You can without a doubt maintain what you have gained with just 2 workouts per week with high intensity over a reasonable period of time. If you have a tough time getting in meals go with a bar or a shake. If you can only make it into gym twice a week for 2-3 weeks it may be good for your body especially if you have been going hard 4-5 days a week for an extended time. You will give yourself a chance to recover and will be able to train harder when you get back to the normal grind.

Goliathus
07-13-10, 12:38 am
Ive been looking to really add more mass on my shoulders.
They're my most lacking bodypart.
They've gained tremendoulsy with the new training I've been doing, but my arms still overpower them, sadly.

Maybe this will be a good time to do so.

B. Rowe
07-20-10, 9:26 pm
How is the training and diet coming with the new shift?

Goliathus
07-22-10, 2:15 am
Well, it's holding.
I've been spacing out my days on training.

I got stuck with 7pm-7am, but it works out because it's a REALLY relaxed shift.

For the first week it was just me and 2 other guys.
Now it's just me and ONE guy.

On training days, I get up, get something in my stomach along with taking pak, wait about 30 mins then go train.
Get some food in me, then go to work and down my shake, get home around 710am and get to bed.

Do it over agian.

Luckily for me, I think Sunday is my last day on this schedule for a while.
It picks up again around October/November. So I'll have plenty of time to get my routine back down.

I'm maintaining though, I'm actually showing more definition than before. I'm not entirely sure why. I've been eating decently, but it hasn't really been a change. My water intake has been a LOT higher, but I haven't been doing cardio. It's kind of a curious thing.
I can't complain though.