PDA

View Full Version : New split, critique please

lacrosse19
07-09-10, 12:01 am
hey guys, this is my new split I'm gonna be starting soon. Hopefully you guys can help me out with it. Fully open to suggestions.

Sunday- Chest, calves

Flat bench dumbbell press 3 sets 8 reps
Flat bench dumbbell fly 3 sets 8 reps
incline dumbell press 3 sets 8 reps
Cable crossovers 3 sets 10 reps
Push ups 3 sets Failure
Standing calf raises 3 sets 20 reps
Seated calf raises 3 sets 20 reps

Monday Legs, abs

Squat 4 sets 6 reps
leg press 4 sets 10 reps
leg curl 3 sets 10 reps
leg extensions 3 sets 10 reps
weighted step ups 3 sets 12 reps
pike 1 set 12 reps
cable sidebend 1 set 12 reps each side
weighted crunch 1 set 12 reps
overhead crunch 1 set 12 reps
ball planks 1 set 60 secodns
windshield wipers 1 set 12 reps

Tuesday Shoulders, Calves

Dumbbell lateral raise 3 sets 8 reps
dumbbell front raise 3 sets 8 reps
bent over lateral raise 3 set 8 reps
shoulder press 3 sets 8 reps
military press 3 sets 8 reps

Wednesday- Back, abs

Deadlifts 4 sets 6,8,10,10 reps
pulldowns 3 sets 8 reps
t-bar row 3 sets 8 reps
dumbbell row 3 sets 10 reps
pike 1 set 12 reps

Thursday Biceps, calves

EZ bar preacher curl 4 sets 10 reps
incline dumbbell curl 3 sets 12 reps
hammer curl 3 sets 12 reps
seated alternating dumbbell curl 4 sets 12 reps

Friday Triceps, abs

tricep pressdowns 3 sets 20 reps
weighted bench dips 3 sets 8 reps
overhead dumbbell extensions 4 sets 12 reps
dumbbell kickbacks 3 sets 20 reps
skullcrushers 3 sets 10 reps
pike 1 set 12 reps

Saturday- Rest

The order of the workouts or days I do them is not set, just a sample of the exercises i plan to do. If anyone has any input, thoughts, critism its most welcome. Thanks.

On a side note, I know this should be in the diet section, but its nothing important enough for its own thread. Im arguing with these guys on youtube, and there saying the bulk and cut thing to gain muscle is a myth, and to just eat your maintenance and you'll gain muscle. And shit like that, what there saying is false right? Just wanted to make sure.
Thanks again guys.
Matt

charlievanriper
07-09-10, 12:09 am
Overkill, thiers not enough rest, but hey have fun try it for 4 to 6 weeks if it dont wor for you make changes if it works then ya got your program. I never work more than 2 days straight without resting nor do I ever let clients work more than 2 days straight.

Vaze_06
07-09-10, 12:22 am
wow... soo many exercises and only 1 rest day?!... dude u sure u wont over-train at some point?! if i was u i would cut off some of the stuff. keep it basic. 4-5 day split is good enough
imo 1 set of 12 reps are kinda useless.... u better off choosing 2-3 exercises and do 4-5 sets

oh and youtube's conversation are mostly waste of time and pain in the ass. dont bother reading or arguing with ppl in there........

tho Squat Do Cure Cancer ahahah

lacrosse19
07-09-10, 12:30 am
True thanks, what bodyparts should i do on the same day. Chest, and biceps. Then legs and back? Would that make more sense?
Yeah that was an ab routine i got off the muscle and fitness website. Looked effective. Thanks for the info.
Matt

BryanSmash!
07-09-10, 12:50 am
tho Squat Do Cure Cancer ahahah

lol I heard that somewhere too.

mcbeast
07-09-10, 1:33 am
Squat. Deadlift. Bench. Overhead Press. Cleans. Rows. Pullups. Incline Press. Heavy Abs.

Your life should revolve around these exercises. Incorporate speed and explosiveness into your big lifts. Do you actually play lacross? Cause the split you put up is overkill. Way overkill.

AntoineV
07-09-10, 2:18 pm
I think you should include more basic movements in there. Also maybe too much abs for me...

lacrosse19
07-09-10, 6:10 pm
Thanks guys, Ill go back to the drawing board. Probaly will end up doing one the the pre-set training routines. I like #7. I just like doing all these exercises. I do play lacrosse, have since i was 3 years old.
Matt

mcbeast
07-09-10, 6:13 pm
Thanks guys, Ill go back to the drawing board. Probaly will end up doing one the the pre-set training routines. I like #7. I just like doing all these exercises. I do play lacrosse, have since i was 3 years old.
Matt

Playing lacross you need functional strength. Incorporate the main exercises listed above. Do conditioning work as well!

Sprint
07-09-10, 9:17 pm
maybe tie in biceps and triceps on the same day to free up an extra day for rest. or throw in 1 or 2 isolation exercises for biceps and finish back day with them, again to free up an extra rest day.

Machine
07-09-10, 9:31 pm
You need to forget all this shit and go back to the drawing board. There is a way to do the right thing, the wrong way...

You are well and truly fucked in that you are doing the wrong thing, the wrong way.

Good luck.

MACHINE

Sprint
07-09-10, 9:55 pm
not sure about hitting presses for shoulders after all those lateral raises. a press is a mass builder, by the time you get round to them you're going to be royally buggered to get some hard, intense reps in. id be interested to know rest times/total session times etc. I could be wrong but i get the impression of long rests purely to deal with the heavy volume.

mcbeast
07-09-10, 11:22 pm
You need to forget all this shit and go back to the drawing board. There is a way to do the right thing, the wrong way...

You are well and truly fucked in that you are doing the wrong thing, the wrong way.

Good luck.

MACHINE

x2

Utilize all the information on this board, and what has been given to you in this thread. Come up with something new, with all the gained knowledge and we will take another look at it. Btw, if your a lacrosse player, why are you training like a "bodybuilder" ?

RogueLion
07-10-10, 12:50 pm
Lacrosse is a sport which relies quite heavily on explosive speed, lateral movement, and endurance. Am I correct? Take the movements you utilize in lacrosse and replicate them in your workouts.

Compound movements are a great way to build explosive core muscle, or as my defensive line coach said, "The powerpack", or rather where all the power comes from, hips, butt, hammies, quads, abs, lower back.

So Squats, power cleans, deadlifts will build core strength, powerpack strength and a solid foundation.

Lateral lunges, and plyometrics will develop lateral quickness.

And 10, 20, 30, and 100 yard gassers will develop conditioning.

Your diet will be key to feed your body and offset the loss from conditioning.

Best of luck.

PS, if you're not a lacrosse player and i missed something in translation, then disregard what I said.

lacrosse19
07-11-10, 12:57 am
Right now im not really training for lacrosse. Right now my main goal is to get as big as possible. I'm a goalie anyway, dont really need all that conditioning. I play indoor lacrosse so we dont really run much.

Probaly because im tired, but I'm not really sure what machine is saying. The reason I wanted the 6 days in the gym, is because i love going to the gym and lifting weights. If its going to hurt me more than help me, than ill change it, its why i posted it on here, you guys obviously know what your talking about.

matt

mcbeast
07-11-10, 1:14 am
Right now im not really training for lacrosse. Right now my main goal is to get as big as possible. I'm a goalie anyway, dont really need all that conditioning. I play indoor lacrosse so we dont really run much.

Probaly because im tired, but I'm not really sure what machine is saying. The reason I wanted the 6 days in the gym, is because i love going to the gym and lifting weights. If its going to hurt me more than help me, than ill change it, its why i posted it on here, you guys obviously know what your talking about.

matt

You will not benefit one bit from all that shit you plan on doing. Hit the big lifts mentioned above, 4-8 sets. Then hit the accesories 2-4 sets. Like, for biceps you have 14 sets. Try 2-4, and push yourself. If you are putting enough in on the days you lift, you shouldnt have energy to hit the gym 6 days a week. So, eat big. Sleep big. Lift hard and heavy. get in 3-4 days a week and your golden!

lacrosse19
07-11-10, 10:42 am
You will not benefit one bit from all that shit you plan on doing. Hit the big lifts mentioned above, 4-8 sets. Then hit the accesories 2-4 sets. Like, for biceps you have 14 sets. Try 2-4, and push yourself. If you are putting enough in on the days you lift, you shouldnt have energy to hit the gym 6 days a week. So, eat big. Sleep big. Lift hard and heavy. get in 3-4 days a week and your golden!

Thanks for the info. I didnt actually start that split. Right now Im training 4 days a week, its just not structured, thats what i was looking to do and then got caught up in all the exercises. Right now i train monday,tuesday, thursday, friday. Chest, back, legs, arms. I dont really have a set plan when i go into the gym, just that i want to be extremely sore the next day. Thanks for the help again.
MAtt

charlievanriper
07-11-10, 12:44 pm

Good luck.

MACHINE

X3
Again after my first assesment your fucked, and then after Machines assesment your triple fucked lol. Go back to the drawing board, before you injure yourself.

Reaslly al joking aside, Excessive got it right, adapt from what he told you. If you want that much time in the gym do what I do I hit hard and heavy in the beginning of the week and do reps at the end so I get to spend alot of time in my favorite place, but I dont do overkill.

lacrosse19
07-11-10, 5:02 pm
Can you post your split so I can get an idea of what you mean please?
Matt

lacrosse19
07-13-10, 1:30 pm
I worked my back today, any suggestions?

Deadlift 3 sets 8 reps 225lbs
Bent over barbell rows 3 sets 8 reps 125lbs
Pulldowns 3 sets 8 reps 130lbs
Row 3 sets 8 reps 120lbs

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Matt

lacrosse19
07-13-10, 1:30 pm
Ps, I know the weights arnt that high, but they increase pretty often.
Matt

Sprint
07-13-10, 5:38 pm
weight is relative bro. If its heavy for you, its heavy full stop.

Machine
07-13-10, 10:44 pm
I worked my back today, any suggestions?

Deadlift 3 sets 8 reps 225lbs
Bent over barbell rows 3 sets 8 reps 125lbs
Pulldowns 3 sets 8 reps 130lbs
Row 3 sets 8 reps 120lbs

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Matt

I'll make you a deal...you have a friend videotape one or two sets of each of the movements from any single workout so I can take your pulse...

I will do better than post a blind critique.

I will show you how to find the correct neuromuscular groove, so that the form of your training session will follow the functionality of it. Start thinking in terms of getting the most out of every set FROM REPETITION NUMBER ONE! You can achieve a level where the movements that populate your training sessions will be almost incidental.

I see so many athletes piling up set and rep schemes, they need to be concerned with the quality of the first 5 reps of any given set...you give me an honest run and I will demonstrate your inefficiency to you live and direct.

MACHINE