PDA

View Full Version : The Misfit

The Misfit
07-11-10, 8:39 am
I've contemplated continuing my journey. Never got around to doing so. So here it is, a fresh start, an old journey continued. A better effort will go to maintaining this archive.
In part, my decision to continue a journey has been brought about (I won't say inspired, it is in my opinion a word that is greatly overused) through reading the many posts by Machine. Such skill, finesse, honesty and conviction he brings to the table.

Random thoughts:
Misfit. There are many definitions for such. Much are associated with not fitting in/not conforming. I fill this criteria. I can safely say so.
Misfit, a state of mind, different, unique. Uncertainty.
Sorry if the above is a bit all over the place. I'm struggling to come up with my definition for misfit. A bit uncertain on that one. It's hard for me to put it in a sentence so here's a photo definition of a misfit.

http://www.brianmoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/BrianMoss_000.jpg

The Misfit
07-11-10, 7:10 pm
Just a quick run over as how I'm going about things training wise.

Goal for this year is to bring b.f down and under control. In addition to this, increase strength mainly in the bench, dead lift & squat. In the next year or two I would like to have a b.f% close to 12 a squat of 180kg, deadlift of 200kg, inc. bench of 120kg (I've dropped flat bench for safety/longevity reasons); achieving such will provide me a decent foundation for DC training.
I think some individuals would frown on such, weight loss and strength don't usually go hand in hand, so convention dictates. But I believe it is very achievable through a longer period of time, no quick fixes.

Here in lies my method of madness behind such: For fat loss, I have started a keto diet. I have been on it for some time (2months or more) and through it I've made adjustments. To date I've dropped from a b.w of 117 to 111-110, I've neglected getting any b.f% readings through my Tanita scale and am going by how things look in the mirror.
As of recent, I'll practice a normal keto diet through out the week then on Sunday I'll carb load. From when I first started keto, I did no cardio. Pretty silly you might say but doing such allowed me to observe changes through diet alone from which I was then able to make adjustments. I'm not after a quick fix, I'm in this for the long run.

As far as training goes, it's 4x a week: Mon, Tue, Thurs, Fri.

Split looks like this.

Workout A
Inc. bench 5x5
Standing BB press 5x5
CGB 2x8
Dips 2x8
DB laterals 2x8

Workout B
Deadlift 5x5
BB row 5x5
Pull ups 2x8
High row 2x8
DB preacher 2x8

Workout C
Back squats 5x5
SLD 2x8
Front squats 2x8
Calf press 2x8
DB wrist curl 2x8

The above are cycled so I'm repeating a workout every 3rd week.
Originally I started off with stronglifts 5x5, works well, I just felt it lacked overall balance from a "bodybuilding" point of view. So I've added in extra arm and calf work work.
I'm quite confident progression will be good, just not as fast as it would be if doing the original 5x5.

The Misfit
07-11-10, 11:19 pm
0800 6 whole eggs, 3 slices chicken/ham luncheon
1100 whey shake, 2tbsp organic pb
1330 10g bcaa, 1 svg storm, 10g glutamine (PWO)
1400 whey shake, 2tbsp organic pb
1700 8oz chicken, 2tbsp o.oil, greens
2000 8oz chicken, 2tbsp o.oil, greens
2300 8oz rump steak, 1tbsp o.oil, greens

Wasn't too pleased with things today. Focused and concentrated a great deal on technique, controlled descent, explode up, full range of motion. Despite this I still felt as if I was just going through the motions, no real conviction in the movement. Will have to settle for now and aim to better things next time up. Tried something different today, for the CGB I had my ass hanging off the bench. This is something DC trainers do, Dante Trudel came up with the idea. Doing such takes the majority of the stress of your shoulders and chest and places it on your triceps. Plus it minimizes injury. Works a charm.

Inc. bench 5x5 (70kg+)
BB press 5x5 (60kg=)
Dips 2x8 (10kg=)
CGB 2x8 (60+)
Seated DB press 2x8 (20kg=)

+ all reps for designated sets completed with proper technique therefore increase weight next workout.

= some reps for designated sets not completed. Weight stays the same next workout.

- after three attempts in consecutive workouts, have not managed to complete all reps for designated sets at that weight therefore drop weight by 10% next workout.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all about progression. I will continue to progress and eventually I will hit a plateau, dropping the weight by 10% will allow myself to reset and for sure I will progress past the plateau. I'm still on baby weight but anything worth doing takes time and I've got a lot of time.

The Misfit
07-13-10, 2:53 am
0800 6 whole eggs, 2 slices chicken luncheon, pak
1100 8oz chicken, 2tbsp organic pb, greens, omega
1400 8oz chicken, 2tbsp organic pb, greens
1630 10g bcaa, 10g glutamine, 1 svg storm
1700 shake, 2tbsp organic pb
2000 8oz rump steak, 2tbsp o.oil, greens
2300 shake, 2tbsp organic pb

Gym was pretty much empty so the squat racks were free. Good for me. Focused a great deal on technique especially with the squat. Controlled descent, pause at bottom, explode up. Again not where I want to be weight wise but it will come with time. No quick fixes here.

Squats 5x5 (125kg+)
SLD 2x8 (60kg+)
Calf press (150kg+)

The Misfit
07-15-10, 9:39 pm
Missed yesterdays post.

0700 6 whole eggs
1000 8oz chicken, spinach, 1tbsp sesame seed oil
1300 8oz chicken, spinach, 1tbsp sesame seed oil
1600 8oz chicken, greens, 2 tbsp organic pb
1900 shake, 2tbsp organic pb
2100 T-bone steak (ate out with family)
2300 shake, 2tbsp organic pb

Bent over barbell rows 5x5 (95kg)
Dead lift 5x5 (145kg)
HS high row 2x8 (40kg)

The Misfit
07-20-10, 4:54 am
0700 Whey protein, 2tbsp organic pb
1000 8oz chicken, greens, 1tbsp mac nut oil
1300 8oz chicken, greens, 1tbsp mac nut oil
1600 Whey protein, 2 tbsp organic pb
1900 8oz chicken, greens, 1tbsp mac nut oil
2100 Whey protein, 2tbsp mac nut oil

Push press 3x5 (70kg+)
High incline barbell press 5x5 (60kg+)
Back Squats 5x5 (130kg+)
CGB 2x8 (60kg+)
Dips 2x8 (b.w)

Endurance is definitely a problem. Need to do more cardio!!

Came to the realization that 4 days a week in the gym, at this stage, is a bit too much. I've cut back to 3 days a week, alternating a push and pull workout (tue, thurs, sat). I haven't changed the movements, bar two, strict standing bb press for push press & incline bench for high incline barbell press.

The Misfit
07-22-10, 2:00 am
0700 4 low-carb protein bars!!
1000 3 low-carb protein bars!!
1300 2 low-carb protein bars!!, 2tbsp organic pb
1600 6 whole eggs
1900 8oz chicken, greens, 1tbsp mac nut oil
2100 8oz chicken, greens, 1tbsp mac nut oil

Yes, protein bars for the first three meals!! I felt sick forcing these down.
Had not yet received my whey order from the supplement company I shop with & discovered my pre-prepared chicken meals were off (just one of the many down falls of purchasing cheap chicken) hence the awful start to the day.
Have restocked my supplies (chicken, whey, organic pb) so will look to re-bound from today's mishap.
Note to self: invest in some canned tuna/chicken so as to avoid compensating with shitty protein bars.

Bent over barbell row 5x5 (100kg)
Stiff legged dead lift 5x5 (95kg)
HS supported high row 2x8 (40kg)
DB preacher curl 2x8 (10kg)
Hanging barbell wist curl 2x8 (40kg)

Hanging barbell wrist curls, a little difficult explaining these and how I came to this movement: position yourself in the bent over barbell row position, barbell hanging down in front of you. From here curl your wrists explosively (flex the wrist flexors) then a controlled negative. This movement took a cue from dead lifting, barbell rows and stiff legged dead lifts (without straps); as weight is increased, grip strength fails and the forearms compensate by the curling of the wrists (flexing of the wrist flexors).

The Misfit
07-24-10, 3:00 am
0700 Whey protein, 2tbsp organic pb, 1tbsp metamucil
1000 1/2 of a roasted chicken (no skin), 2tbsp organic pb
1300 Whey protein, 2tbsp mac nut oil
1600 1/2 of a roasted chicken (no skin), 2tbsp organic pb
1900 Whey protein, 1tbsp mac nut oil, 1tbsp metamucil
2200 6 whole eggs

No greens today. Will find out if it was a good idea when I hit the crapper tomorrow morning.

Push press 3x5 (75kg+)
High incline barbell press 5x5 (60kg+)
Squats 5x5 (135kg+)

Last set of squats were rough form-wise, had to resort to "bouncing" the last two reps. Would have preferred a slow and controlled descent.
Gym closed before I could get the CGB and Dips in. Will have to do them tomorrow.

The Misfit
07-27-10, 2:42 am
0800 Whey protein, 2tbsp organic pb, 1tbsp metamucil
1200 1/2 of a whole chicken, 1tbsp mac nut oil, greens
1500 1/2 of a whole chicken, 1tbsp mac nut oil, greens
1800 Whey protein, 2tbsp organic pb, 1tbsp metamucil
2100 6 whole eggs

Chicken breasts have been replaced with whole chicken, this is much more economic. Have had a few carbs here and there throughout the week. Will probably look to add them back in, pre and post workout only. Through keto I've dropped 7kg (I am now sitting at 110kg), with the type of training I am doing (strength/power) I'm not sure that keto is going to be that beneficial especially as I progress further in weight.

Bent over barbell row 5x5 (105kg=)
Dead lift 5x5 (150kg=)
DB preacher curl 2x8 (12.5kg+)
Forearm work

Grip is definitely an issue. I might look into adding barbell shrugs into the mix. I'm am one to strongly advocate against direct trap work, example bb shrugs, however from past experience I have found them to greatly assist with grip.

I don't believe I have posted my supplement regimen. As of now, things are basic:

Glutamine
BCAA powder
Storm
Pak
Fish oil capsules
Liver detox (milk thistle complex)
Pro-biotic
Metamucil

The Misfit
07-29-10, 2:07 am
L A T E start to the day.

1100 Whey protein, 2tbsp organic pb, 2tsp metamucil
1400 Half of a whole chicken, spinach, 1tbsp mac nut oil
1800 Whey protein, 2tbsp organic pb, 2tsp metamucil
2000 Half of a whole chicken, spinach, 1tbsp mac nut oil
2300 6 whole eggs

Today was lethargic to say the least. I can definitely see my lifts plateau in the few weeks to come, not to worry though, it is expected.

Push press 3x5 (80kg=)
Seated high incline barbell press 5x5 (65kg=)
Back squat 5x5 (140kg=)
Dips 2x10 (b.w)
CGB 2x8 (60kg)

charlievanriper
07-29-10, 2:40 am
Thier you are brother. Thx man.

Hey I loved your messege lol.Its my Life man to break the thru the mindset of whats " Current Conventional Wisdom. Freak I love it, It represents Respect and everything I always wanted to be.

Ya know until you mentioned that number I had just wanted to hit 350 again, now I truly believe hey why not and so The written commitment has beed signed, The challenge has been laid down at my feet and the New Journey has begun!!!

Tomorrow Look for the New Post " A Freak of Nature Answers the Challenge!

And Great stuff going on in here also.

C.Coronato
07-29-10, 10:08 am
Solid start in here. Great pic by Brian Moss too. He has an awesome eye for art.

The Misfit
07-29-10, 8:44 pm
Solid start in here. Great pic by Brian Moss too. He has an awesome eye for art.

Thank you Christian.

I would like to re-thank you for the advice you gave on keto. I have had great results from it. The information you provided established a template from which I was able to adjust accordingly along the way, suitable to my needs.

charlievanriper
07-30-10, 12:41 am
That pic by Moss is just Awesome, I'm going to see if I can get a print for my office.

The Misfit
07-31-10, 1:26 am
Once again I have decided to forgo a training journal within the FORVM.

I've always kept in mind that starting one would be done so for myself and myself only.

What I accomplish, attempt to accomplish and will accomplish will be seen, carried through and experienced by me and no one else. I prefer that it be this way.

Perhaps in time I will re-open this chapter. As for now, I leave to continue my journey, in solitude, away from gazing eyes.