PDA

View Full Version : Football strength + looking good

Ras830
07-12-10, 10:41 am
Hey everybody, was wondering if any of u have any good ideas for my training. I play linebacker, and been a powerlifter but i dont powerlift anymore cuz i fucked up my shoulder.. anyways..
I would love to both get bigger, stronger and faster for my football.. but i would also like to be ripped. I tried low carb diets and specific training for cutting, but it leaves me with very low energy for the gridiron! any ideas how to avoid and still reach my goals?

Silverback6
08-05-10, 6:29 pm
Do you need to get "ripped" are you going to be a football player or a BBuilder? It's important for a football player to have some fat on him to prevent injury, especially at linebacker. You need to concentrate on strength and speed, the scope of the game is changing and linebackers aren't the big slow bruisers like they were in the 90s. LBs need to be quick and fast, yes they are two different things. If your looking for a program send me a message and I'll set you up with a good one.

Stay strong

BamBam
08-05-10, 8:14 pm
Yo Ras... to get bigger, stronger, and faster... you need to put on some good weight and to do so, you must have fat. Plus, if you hurt your shoulder, don't stop powerlifting, just rehab and prehab the damn thing and get back under the bar.

Any help I can be let me know..

IN IRON,
BB-

U Mad Brah?
08-06-10, 1:54 pm
easy brah... u got to lift and eat good brah

MonTanaMusCle
08-06-10, 2:33 pm
Im not talking stage ready ripped but 10-12% BF hell ya why not. . . I was told growing up playing football oh dont worry about being fat as a football player its ok well I fell into the trap of eating everything cause i was a football player even in college they told me that shit. . . Fat doesnt make you run faster or hit harder. . . with that being said yes eating a ton of food for energy is most important. I dont recommend trying to get ripped IN season but off season Hell ya. . . My two cents. . .

BamBam
08-06-10, 2:50 pm
Im not talking stage ready ripped but 10-12% BF hell ya why not. . . I was told growing up playing football oh dont worry about being fat as a football player its ok well I fell into the trap of eating everything cause i was a football player even in college they told me that shit. . . Fat doesnt make you run faster or hit harder. . . with that being said yes eating a ton of food for energy is most important. I dont recommend trying to get ripped IN season but off season Hell ya. . . My two cents. . .

In season should be easy practicing, running, some lifting, games... etc. Off season even easier, but no reason to be ripped for performance purposes. I have players who r ripped whi can't lift, run, hit,.. hell even piss right... and have guys who have some "love" as they call it on their stomachs who hit like freight trains and lift a good amount for a high school kid and r good shape. But, on the other hand, I have kids who r ripped who r extremely talented and some kids who r fat that can't do shit... so... guess any body type can be athletic or a complete puss.

IMHO... being cut or ripped has no direct bearing on how athletic/strong/fast/etc you can be..

IN IRON,
BB-

MonTanaMusCle
08-06-10, 3:00 pm
In season should be easy practicing, running, some lifting, games... etc. Off season even easier, but no reason to be ripped for performance purposes. I have players who r ripped whi can't lift, run, hit,.. hell even piss right... and have guys who have some "love" as they call it on their stomachs who hit like freight trains and lift a good amount for a high school kid and r good shape. But, on the other hand, I have kids who r ripped who r extremely talented and some kids who r fat that can't do shit... so... guess any body type can be athletic or a complete puss.

IMHO... being cut or ripped has no direct bearing on how athletic/strong/fast/etc you can be..

IN IRON,
BB-

LOL . . . Good point ive seen athletic fat guys and athletic ripped guys also. . . And your right body weight doesnt have any bearing on being athletic. but I would say in most cases losing 5-10 lbs of fat would be benificial. And is there anything wrong with wanting to look in shape as well as being in shape ? ?

Big Wides
08-06-10, 6:44 pm
Hey everybody, was wondering if any of u have any good ideas for my training. I play linebacker, and been a powerlifter but i dont powerlift anymore cuz i fucked up my shoulder.. anyways..
I would love to both get bigger, stronger and faster for my football.. but i would also like to be ripped. I tried low carb diets and specific training for cutting, but it leaves me with very low energy for the gridiron! any ideas how to avoid and still reach my goals?

pick one or the other.....either go for the ripped look or functional football. At this point in the offseason you should be concentrating on getting in shape for camp and winding down all of your hard work. In my opinion your to close to camp and the season to mess around.

Camp is brutual and your going to need all the calories that you can handle

Legacy
08-06-10, 7:30 pm
pick one or the other.....either go for the ripped look or functional football. At this point in the offseason you should be concentrating on getting in shape for camp and winding down all of your hard work. In my opinion your to close to camp and the season to mess around.

Agreed bro, you either gotta pick one or the other. Juggling both is hard. Although something does come to mind that you brought this topic up. I know a lot of guys who now train for power and performance and have a build like a bodybuilder. Reason being is when they started training they trained like a bodybuilder and when they switched to performance lifting, their body adapted but maintained the look. I think making that transition from bodybuilding to performance is easier for your body than it would be to do both. Unfortunately for you your starting at the other end of the spectrum.

Give me some stats about you man, AGE WEIGHT HEIGHT and what level of football are you at? Is it high school ball, college ball, what is it?

I use to be a strength and conditioning coach bro and although I am young have trained with some greats in the S&C field, I can hook you up with a lot of information and strength and conditioning football manuals from high school all the way up to the NFL, just let me know bro.

Pigskinmuscle
08-07-10, 1:03 am

It's possible to be both "ripped" and strong for football. Brian Cushing is a good example... however, you should focus more on the football aspect instead of the "looks" department. For strength, I suggest 5/3/1 Football. That stuff flat out works. Some of my numbers that will hopefully steer you in the right direction.

Pre/Current stats
Bodyweight: 260lbs/280lbs
Push Press:155lbsx5/215lbsx6
Bench: 275lbs/335lbs
Deadlift(straight bar convo/sumo/trapbar):355lbs, 405lbs, 445lbs/405lbs, 465lbs, 500+lbs
Squat(Olympic/12 inch box): 355lbsx5, 405lbsx1/405lbsx5(hit this today), 405lbsx5

I can't give you stats for pro agility, 40yd dash, vert. etc... because I haven't tested those yet. I can definitely tell you that I have gotten faster and more explosive with the addition of 20lbs.... can't go wrong with 5/3/1 Football. I've been on it since March 2010....

pretty good progress for

Agreed bro, you either gotta pick one or the other. Juggling both is hard. Although something does come to mind that you brought this topic up. I know a lot of guys who now train for power and performance and have a build like a bodybuilder. Reason being is when they started training they trained like a bodybuilder and when they switched to performance lifting, their body adapted but maintained the look. I think making that transition from bodybuilding to performance is easier for your body than it would be to do both. Unfortunately for you your starting at the other end of the spectrum.

Give me some stats about you man, AGE WEIGHT HEIGHT and what level of football are you at? Is it high school ball, college ball, what is it?

I use to be a strength and conditioning coach bro and although I am young have trained with some greats in the S&C field, I can hook you up with a lot of information and strength and conditioning football manuals from high school all the way up to the NFL, just let me know bro.

If you don't mind, I'd like some of those manuals.... hehe

BamBam
08-07-10, 10:25 am
LOL . . . Good point ive seen athletic fat guys and athletic ripped guys also. . . And your right body weight doesnt have any bearing on being athletic. but I would say in most cases losing 5-10 lbs of fat would be benificial. And is there anything wrong with wanting to look in shape as well as being in shape ? ?

No no no... not at all. I'm not saying the "want" to look good is a bad thing. Just may be a "misplaced" idea when playing football. There is NOTHING wrong with being in shape, or becoming ripped and lean as long as your carryover can be easily seen on the field. And the truth is, you shouldn't be "finding yourself" on the field... you should forge the beast you r going to be on the field, in the weightroom, on the track, and with what you eat. If you aren't ready to play before you set foot on the field, then dont...

I like this. Good shit Wides...been a while since we talked big man! Hope all is well with you my brother..

But agreed... Camp is brutal... so make sure you go into camp in good shape but also with some calories to burn because more than likely you are going to be running, practicing, lifting, etc etc to the point that whatever you are eating is going to be burnt off pretty damn quick or you r going to puke it up lol.

Legacy
08-07-10, 10:53 am
If you don't mind, I'd like some of those manuals.... hehe

PM me your email address. Also, let me know what type of computer you use, cause I am on a Mac and I have to convert the file if you got a PC