PDA

View Full Version : 5-3-1 deload Q

intoodeep25
07-12-10, 4:08 pm
ive been doing wendlers 5-3-1 for a while, and its going real well. ive always wondered about the deloading process, however. i usually take this week very light, to the point where it feels like i did basically nothing. this week drives me nuts lol. what im wondering is, from the guys that are currently doing wendlers program, what are your deload weeks typically like? i know this is an individual thing, everyone needs different deloads based on their bodies and how their feeling, im just wondering if i can get away with pushing things a little harder during this week.

Aggression
07-12-10, 4:11 pm
im just wondering if i can get away with pushing things a little harder during this week.

The whole point of the deload is so that you do NOT push yourself. With the amount of energy you exert during those 3 weeks, you need a 4th to back off and just go easy in the gym. I remember my bench press deload was like 175 for 5 reps, when my max was 330. I felt like I was doing nothing, but it pays off in the end, trust me. You'll come back at the start of the next week with much more intensity.

intoodeep25
07-12-10, 4:17 pm
ya i know the deload weeks are beneficial. every time i come back my body feels better and im ready to go crazy on the weight. i just hate the feeling of not doing anything. feels like im making no progress. its hard when, like im sure alot of guys on here, my switch is always turned on beast mode. ill just keep doin the low intensity deloads. thanks for the reply man

Aggression
07-12-10, 4:28 pm
No problem man. Turn the negative thoughts into positives. Instead of thinking, 'I'm making no progress', think of something better, like, 'after a week's rest, I'll be smashing new PR's next week'. Use that 'down time' to help fuel the intensity for the next 3 weeks to come.

naturalguy
07-12-10, 5:11 pm
Here is what I do, I actually take 2 weeks to deload, week 1 is a basic deload as far as the big lifts but the secondary exercises I do in traditional bodybuilding fashion. The 2nd week is usually traditional bodybuilding workouts then back to 5/3/1

prowrestler
07-12-10, 5:26 pm
ive been doing wendlers 5-3-1 for a while, and its going real well. ive always wondered about the deloading process, however. i usually take this week very light, to the point where it feels like i did basically nothing. this week drives me nuts lol. what im wondering is, from the guys that are currently doing wendlers program, what are your deload weeks typically like? i know this is an individual thing, everyone needs different deloads based on their bodies and how their feeling, im just wondering if i can get away with pushing things a little harder during this week.

take 1 upper and 1 lower day off 100%

stretch and maybe do some light ass weights the other day. very low volume