PDA

View Full Version : HS to late twenties trainers respond

IRN-NML
07-13-10, 7:00 pm
If you've been hitting the iron since high school or college consistently, and are now in your late twenties; that's say, an 8-10 year period, how have you changed?

Look about the same; maybe a bit bigger, and stronger?
Much bigger and much stronger?
Look about the same; maybe a bit bigger but much stronger?
Look stronger than I am?

Break it down if you want; is your chest or legs, etc significantly bigger or better than when you were in college?

Maybe some responses will show what can happen over a consistent, long term period of lifting.

Legacy
07-13-10, 10:29 pm
If you've been hitting the iron since high school or college consistently, and are now in your late twenties; that's say, an 8-10 year period, how have you changed?

Look about the same; maybe a bit bigger, and stronger?
Much bigger and much stronger?
Look about the same; maybe a bit bigger but much stronger?
Look stronger than I am?

Break it down if you want; is your chest or legs, etc significantly bigger or better than when you were in college?

Maybe some responses will show what can happen over a consistent, long term period of lifting.

When I first started lifting I weighed 100 pounds, basically no muscle, shitty strength, and my max bench was like 95 pounds. After 7 years of lifting, I got up to a lean 190 at only 5 foot 6 with my best max bench at 405. My body responded well and a lot of the gains came in the later years when my body was starting to get that mature muscle look. So my gain of 90 pounds in that 7 years made me a lot stronger and a lot bigger. I'm in my early-mid 20's. In college is where I made the most of my gains as far as strength and getting that mature muscle look. Thats when the muscle bellies started coming in really good, vascularity was bigger and that grainy look started happening. I try to keep my strength and size in proportion. I see a lot of guys that are big but when it comes to pushing weight, they can't do a lot. I believe that your size should match your strength. Right now my gains have been continuing. I am currently trying to get up to about a lean 210 at 5 foot 6 inch and just maintain and tweak from that point forward.

RogueLion
07-14-10, 12:00 am
My weight and strength has fluctuated quite a bit from high school 180 freshman year to a bulky brawny stupid immature senior year 250, to college defensive tackle 250 to defensive end 230 to current weight of 225. I've grown a lot more comfortable in my body, knowing what is a normal healthy weight for my joints and mind.

I have also matured a lot mentally, understanding who I am and what my goals are. Right now the most important thing to me in the physical sense is to continue to develop a dense foundation of muscle, dense slabs of nutrient rich muscle year after year. That is the way to develop true long lasting effective efficient healthy strength.

I see tons of guys year after year, blowing up, shrinking, big boys who can't move weight, and little boys who only work abs and bis.

I am in my early twenties and I know my body will continue to mature, and as long as I feed it correctly, and treat it with respect it will respond well.

eric downey
07-14-10, 12:10 am
im 90lbs heavier and have the strength to go with it.

Littlefry
07-15-10, 11:49 am
Started out training in high school at 6ft 140lbs or so. So pretty small. As the years progressed I added both size and strenght. This winter I got up to 210lbs 13-14%bf. I cut down this summer to 175lbs 7-8%bf and was happy with the results. This offseason I hope to get up to around 220-225lbs and cut down to 185lbs.