PDA

View Full Version : Good Exercises For Abdominals (Abs)?

Cino135
01-11-07, 4:37 pm
anyone got any good exercises for abs

karmazon
01-11-07, 4:38 pm
Cable crunches are my favorite.

ransom.holland
01-11-07, 7:16 pm
anyone got any good exercises for abs

I have a full workout you can do, I promise you'll limp away wondering why GOD has punsihed you.

GIANT SET:

PERFORM THREE TIMES EXCERISE 1 FOLLOWED BY EXCERISE 2, THEN PERFORM ONE TIME EXCERISE 1 FOLLOWED BY EXCERISE 3, THEN PERFORM ONE TIME EXCERISE 1 FOLLOWED BY EXCERISE 4, AND END WITH EXCERISE 1.

EXCERISE 1:RUSSIAN TWISTS 5 REPS/ 85%
EXCERISE 2:REVERSE CRUNCHERS 12 REPS/ 75% (RHYTHMIC)
EXCERISE 3:SIDEBENDERS LEFT AND RIGHT 40 REPS/ 40% (SLOW)
EXCERISE 4:CRUNCHERS 40 REPS/ 40% (SLOW)

ironWarrior417
01-12-07, 4:09 pm
Personally, I stay away from weighted exercises, call me whatever you want, but hear me out. Stick with different movements to build up all your different ab muscles. Who wants bulky abs?

I used to fall into the mindset of weighted exercise was gonna help my then nonexistant abs pop out like nothing else (before I realized the value of diet.) So now, I got to work on the fact that I got some upper abs that stick out too far and aren't symmetrical with the lower abs. It just looks fucked up to me.

Stick with something like this.

4x25 Decline Crunches
4x25 Hanging Leg Raises
4x25 Double crunches
Stick Twists

And do some core work, believe it or not, it'll help.

TheNaturalG
01-12-07, 6:22 pm
I try to keep it basic and rotate decline situps with leg raises each upper body day. Occasionaly I will do some stomach vacuums.

BigAnt
01-13-07, 6:46 pm
Yeah there called push-aways..push youself away from the eating table...Serioulsy, all the ab exercises will not have you sporting the six-pack you want without proper nutrition and a good amount of cadio work.

I like decline crunches, hanging leg lifts, and physio ball curls.

MassManiac
01-19-07, 2:55 pm
What's up fellas? Just lookin' for new ideas to add some size, strength and stability to my core. For a while now, my abs have been neglected. I'm always conscious of keeping my core tight on all my lifts (using the belt only for heavy squats and deads) and for a while I thought that would be sufficient. Very often I'd also throw in some sets of cable crunches, reverse crunches, side bends, and leg lifts. When doin' these I do a few sets (usually about 3) for 15-20 reps. I really want to focus on hitting my abs, avoiding the common mistake of just working the PSOAs muscles. Just wanted to see what you thought. If you guys got any ideas i'd appreciate it. Thanks bros.

xenrus
02-20-07, 5:34 am
how often do you train your abs ?

JB69
04-11-07, 2:46 pm
Sup guys i was just wondering what your ab training looks like - how many times a week, sets, reps and exercises, etc. i have heard only to train them once a week like any other body - heavy and hard, but then i have heard of training 5 times a week. any advice?

ironshaolin
04-11-07, 2:54 pm
abs and calves heal much quicker than larger bodyparts like chest and legs. Frequency should probably depend how hard you hit them. If you train them intensly, like 3-4 excersises of 3-4 sets ea., you probably only need maybe 2-3 days a week at most. However, I know alot of martial artists who train with just bodyweight excersises who do in the upwards of 500-1000 reps daily, and they have shredded abs that are punch proof. I say go by feel. If your abs hurt, don't train them. If they feel ready, pummel them. I typically train them 3 days a week, the first day is usually a heavy day consisting of lower reps, like 10-15 with excersises like hanging leg raises, rope crunches, weighted decline situps and weighted planks. Then I do a light day in the middle of the week with reverse crunches, excersise ball crunches and cross body crunches. At the end of the week I do another heavy day, and the next week I might switch doing 2 light and 1 heavy day. My personal preference for best ab work is this:
hanging leg/knee raises
cross-body crunches
leg throwdowns
decline sit-ups
try to always put one of those in an ab routine, and go with what your body says.

rabiddogg
04-11-07, 2:54 pm
well i do variations for abbs usually train them 4 times a week one day ill do weighted for sets of ten and other days ill do just body weight for sets of 30-40.

looks somethin like this
m-w weighted incline crunches with 40lb dumbell 3 sets
weighted leg lifts on flat bench with 25lb dumbell 3 sets
weighted obliques with medicine ball

tu-thu crunches 4 sets 30-40
leg lifts 4 sets 30-40
obliques crunches on the ball 4 sets 30-40

Jon
04-11-07, 2:55 pm
Its a normal muscle like any other... should be trained like the rest
also depends on your goals... you can train it almost everyday if you want, or once a week.. depends on what your looking for

JMC
04-11-07, 3:05 pm
Like anything else it's going to vary person to person. Listen to your body. Some folks it's good enough to train as you train every other muscle. For me, that's not the case. I train abs on every training day, which right now is 2 on/1 off. I've found that works well for me.

k1usa
04-11-07, 3:11 pm
I like to do abbs if not every day...every other day...I do a number of different moves...some using machines...some cable, some leg raises.....I like the cable crunches.....Hammer Streangth has a few nice abb punishment machines...but my favorite....and this is dating me...I do the leg lifts like we saw Sly do in I think it was Rocky 4.....I manage to get in 4 sets of these and knock down 5 to 8 reps per set...they friggen hurt...but when you do them right...and pivot off of the shoulder blades...come down slow and arch your back...the abbs will be telling you that night..."gee thanks Muther F**ker....

JMC
04-11-07, 3:22 pm
the abbs will be telling you that night..."gee thanks Muther F**ker....

Hilarious! My fave is definitely the hanging leg lift! That exercise shed more crap off my belly than anything ever has....

ChrisG
04-11-07, 3:50 pm
I do the same as most guys.. I do them every other day and do diff things like crunches, crossbody crunches, hanging knee raises, hanging leg raises, reverse crunches.. all kinds of stuff you can dude.. heres a link for a bunch of different exercises you can tryout..

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Abdominals

Everyonedoes
04-11-07, 4:13 pm
I train them everyday i work out.

karmazon
04-11-07, 4:18 pm
I train mine like 5-6 times a week, usually bodyweight stuff, once in a thousand years I'll do cable crunches. Usually I'll do crunches, or tabata crunches, (tabata) russian twists(absolute killer), toe touchers, laying windshield wipers and this weird exercises, kinda like laying leg raises.

focused
04-11-07, 4:32 pm
Like K1usa, i love cable crunches, and hanging leg raises, or hanging knee raises.
EVERY weight session i hit 4 sets x 25 of both cable crunches and EITHER hanging leg raises OR hanging knee raises (from a pull up bar....wide grip. they blast your lower abs. where as cables work more on upper and your obliques.) always hit these as soon as i'm done with weights and before my cardio.
I can honestly say i've seen that 6 pack comming in, and def have felt that new and improved core strength. try em out. they are now things i look forward to doing EVERY session.

Grantski
04-11-07, 7:53 pm
I usually do them only once or twice a week....just 6-8 min of straight ab work. It burns like a bitch...maybe i need to up the frequency.

Jeff the Repper
04-11-07, 8:15 pm
I do abs twice a week, I stick to one day of all floor exercises, crunches, Weighted leg lifts, ab ball stuff , ect. the second day I do a lot of more specific exercises : Russian twists from a hyper bench, hanging leg raises, inverted sit-ups, ect. Works well for me, but it is mostly what your body can handle, I think every day is way too much for the average person, just due to the fact your core does get worked doing your regular routine.

train.eat.supp.sleep
05-08-07, 10:53 pm
what doe you fellas do to shock the abs into getting shredded?? other then a hardcore strict diet which is a primary

karmazon
05-08-07, 10:57 pm
what doe you fellas do to shock the abs into getting shredded?? other then a hardcore strict diet which is a primary

Let's see, I train.eat.supp.sleep. Oh and I have a strict diet. Nothing else you can do.

Kiwi129
05-08-07, 11:02 pm
You can go on a hardcore strict diet and get shredded. Heh, not being a dick but seriously... just diet and they'll come.

rocky36
05-08-07, 11:15 pm
theres already tons of threads on this bro

Maccabee
05-08-07, 11:53 pm
I like to do giant sets. I enjoy training old school sometimes.

ct italian 1
05-29-07, 1:52 pm
what do some of your guys ab routines look like?
I've been doing the same thing for a while now and plan on switching it up.
what do you all do?

Seifer
05-29-07, 2:06 pm
I hate ab work. Well, hated it.

When I was done yesterday with my 'routine' , I said to myself "glad thats over with"...

Then I thought "oh hell no, fuck that, you aint done yet" , and did another 2 sets of the move I was doing. Yeah, I had to roll sideways out of bed this morning. But it'll be worth it.

--------

I consider my abs one of the weakest part of my body. I'm currently doing:

1. Decline situps w/med ball , 4 sets each till failure
2. Hammer Strength ab machine (works upper and lower), 4 sets to failure
3. Hanging Leg raises , 4 sets till failure.

Gainer65
05-29-07, 4:55 pm
My ab routine:

Hanging leg raises-2 sets
Machine crunches-2-3 sets
Ball crunches-1-2 sets

ironshaolin
05-29-07, 5:05 pm
Tri-set:
Hanging leg raise
kneeling rope cable crunch
oblique crunch lying on a bench

I do martial arts, which requires alot of core strength so I have many, many different ab routines here are a few more examples.

Dragon flag: 3/10-15
weighted decline situp: 3/10-20
Hanging knee oblique raise: 3/15-20
weighted plank: 2/ 30-60secs

The dragon flag is a killer version of the leg raise. Lie on your back on a flat bench, and grab the bench by your head. Now, do a leg lift but instead of lifting just your legs, lift your whole torso off the board, keeping your body perfectly straight so at the top of the move, just your head/neck/shoulders are touching. This move is hard as fuck. Weighted plank: prop up on your toes and elbows and put a 45lb plate on your lower back. Hold that as long as you can. It will eat you alive, and develop a powerful core making squats/deads easier.

Swiss ball reverse crunch:3/12-15
*superset*
toe touches: 3/20-25
cross body crunch: 3/15-20

Decline reverse crunch: 3/15-20
*superset*
decline situp: 3/15-20
Decline bench excersise ball roll out: 2/20
dumbell side bend: 3/15-20

Sometimes I go hard and heavy, utilizing multiple sets/reps/intensity techniques, sometimes I'll just throw 3-5 sets of a specific excersise on at the end of a workout. Mix it up.

Chin
05-29-07, 6:44 pm
I tack on my abs to a hamstring day or a chest day... or I just do them directly after my cardio sessions.

3 - 4/20 - Stability ball crunches
4/15 - Rope Crunch
3/15 - Leg Hangs/Lying hangs
3/15 - Oblique Twist w/Ball or Cable

I switch in things like decline twists, regular sit ups or planks.. Depends on how tired I am

Young&Hungry
05-29-07, 9:56 pm
My favorite thing for shaping up my obliques is old school Broomstick Twists, except I do them with two of those 15 pound F.I.T. bars that the fat chicks use in those aerobics classes. I get a better pump and burn using the weighted bars than a straight up broomstick. Really brought my obliques in nicely and Wrath does them to boot, although with a regular broomstick.

BigAnt
05-29-07, 11:41 pm
what do some of your guys ab routines look like?
I've been doing the same thing for a while now and plan on switching it up.
what do you all do?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
diet and cardio will get you there...

try --- training abs every other workout for 5-6 weeks...pick one exercise and bang out 3x20-25 reps

pick a new exercise every day...

crunches, hanging leg raises, ab machine, rev crunches, physio ball curls, roll outs, med ball crunches, 6 inches, decline crunches, dying bug...

Bam Bam
05-30-07, 3:16 am
First my mom got a DVD called 5-day abs by The Firm. Yea its old but this shit will damn near make you cry and cut your abs up like no other.

Second I do a routine called 100's
20 crunches
10 oblique crunches left
10 oblique crunches right
20 leg raises
20 leg raises with a crunch, or 20 leg walks
20 bicycles

Lastly, I use cable crunches to bring in size and deep cuts between the abdominals.

ct italian 1
05-30-07, 9:23 am
ohh they're in, I just wanna switch up my routine because I'm bored with it. At 5% bf they're looking nicely dialed in, especially my serratus muscles on the sides.

RedLine
05-31-07, 8:10 am
I run and do crunches almost everyday...but i can't cut the fat...hopeefully this cycle of animal CUTS will help...you guys got anything that will help shed the fat in the ab area?

train.eat.supp.sleep
05-31-07, 8:20 am
i do them every other day... and i usually pick an upper ab movement and a lower ab movement...do 20-25 reps for five sets...it gets it done

train.eat.supp.sleep
05-31-07, 8:21 am
somthing that will shed that fat is DIET...they say abs is 99 % diet and 1% ab workouts....u can have the strongest abs in the world but they wont show if ur body fat is too high...

ct italian 1
05-31-07, 4:36 pm
all diet bro, I follow my meal plan meal by meal day by day and RARELY ever deviate. Maybe one cheat meal/month or so.

ncsu06
05-31-07, 4:47 pm
Tri-set:
Hanging leg raise
kneeling rope cable crunch
oblique crunch lying on a bench

I do martial arts, which requires alot of core strength so I have many, many different ab routines here are a few more examples.

Dragon flag: 3/10-15
weighted decline situp: 3/10-20
Hanging knee oblique raise: 3/15-20
weighted plank: 2/ 30-60secs

The dragon flag is a killer version of the leg raise. Lie on your back on a flat bench, and grab the bench by your head. Now, do a leg lift but instead of lifting just your legs, lift your whole torso off the board, keeping your body perfectly straight so at the top of the move, just your head/neck/shoulders are touching. This move is hard as fuck. Weighted plank: prop up on your toes and elbows and put a 45lb plate on your lower back. Hold that as long as you can. It will eat you alive, and develop a powerful core making squats/deads easier.

Swiss ball reverse crunch:3/12-15
*superset*
toe touches: 3/20-25
cross body crunch: 3/15-20

Decline reverse crunch: 3/15-20
*superset*
decline situp: 3/15-20
Decline bench excersise ball roll out: 2/20
dumbell side bend: 3/15-20

Sometimes I go hard and heavy, utilizing multiple sets/reps/intensity techniques, sometimes I'll just throw 3-5 sets of a specific excersise on at the end of a workout. Mix it up.

yea i am a collegiate wrestler and we do alot of the same excercises all with med balls and weights to form a solid core....we also do alot of physioball (big ass balls that you sit on) ab workouts to help us to be able to stablize our core...med ball work though is my favorite...straight sit up, twist sit ups....hold and twist...i mean you name it we do it...great stuff for building one hell of a core...good luck brothers

king1
05-31-07, 10:36 pm
Bosu crunches 3x25 (crunches on the half ball)
Russian Twists 3x70+ (sit on ground, lift up and cross legs, twist side to side with medicine ball in hand)
Hanging Leg Raises 3x15

Skater51o
06-18-07, 3:20 pm
One thing I have noticed about this forum is abs are not talked about very much. I was just curious to see what your guys ab workouts are and how often you work them?

sully
06-18-07, 3:22 pm
i work them every other day for 15 mins at the end of my workout. I used to do them everyday, but i was told to treat it like anothe muscle, which needs rest to grow.

musclealchemist
06-18-07, 3:23 pm
you can either do them every time you workout, or have them on a set day. I do them now on my chest days. I usually do 3 sets of 25, or 4 sets of 30, depending on how i feel.

ghost
06-18-07, 3:37 pm
every morning, when i get up, i do 200 pushups, then 200 sit ups....cant get out of old army habits.

the-craig
06-18-07, 5:17 pm
always just do about 4-5sets variations of sit ups, like with legs raised in the air, hands on the floor instead of head little different things just to failure

gflash77
06-18-07, 5:36 pm
I do a mix of manual/ball abs and machine abs. One week one way, next week the other. As far as the machine, I do twists 3 x 15, on the ball I do straight leg raises 3 x 12 and trunk twists with a medicine ball between my knees 3 x 10.

Manual abs are a bit more complicated:

-50 crunches
-Legs crossed:
25 R over L
25 L over R

One leg extended, one knee bent:
15 reps opposite arm touching knee
switch up for other side 15 reps
straight leg raises 15 reps (all done one after another, minimal rest)

I have found it builds muscle well, but the manual abs prevent them from bulking too much (something I personally don't need). 2-3 times a week depending on my workout.

Skater51o
06-18-07, 5:43 pm
What do you guys think about weighted ab machines? The ones that are like weighted crunches.

Sir J-Werk
06-18-07, 5:46 pm
What do you guys think about weighted ab machines? The ones that are like weighted crunches.

I use it every training day.... Pyramid up.... Two/Three sets.... Loosens my back up too.... Then hit some decline sit ups and leg raises....

Stay Strong, stay Focused, stay Animal!
Respect.

Skater51o
06-18-07, 5:50 pm
Cool. what about isolating obliques? how would you guys do that?

the-craig
06-18-07, 6:10 pm
iv been wantin 2 know if people train those^^^ (not even goin 2 atempt to spell it) coz im not sure if it thickens or slims ur waist

afshin
06-18-07, 6:17 pm
I just do captain crunches 3x failure, 50 reg crunches 60-120 weighted crunches 40 side crunches with ab machine on each side and some times leg up every 2-3 days

Toni69
06-18-07, 6:27 pm
Fortunately for me, I always had good abs..always hard and pretty defined. I do tend to do abs exercises that are a bit out of the norm from your standard crunch or situp..although, I will do those too time to time.

I vary every other day between these:

Reverse Crunches (on a bench or hanging)
Roman Chairs with weight on occasion
Twisting Crunches
Vertical Bench Crunches and Twists
Incline Board Leg Raises
Side Crunches on Floor (obliques and intercostals)
Machine Crunches on occasion
Physio Ball exercises

gflash77
06-18-07, 11:52 pm

I find those make my abs too bulky. I like the twists though.

Tron
06-19-07, 2:04 am
After every workout I do a bodyweight exercise with abs built in. Chest days are push-ups and decline bench crunches. Tomorrow will be pull-ups and probably the ab roller. That thing's a killer!

Skater51o
06-19-07, 3:05 am
I didnt know the ab roller worked. I always thought of it as one of those gimmicks.

Tron
06-19-07, 3:26 am
I didnt know the ab roller worked. I always thought of it as one of those gimmicks.

If you do it right, it works. Try it out sometime. I did, first time about 10 reps and only one set and could barely move in the morning. It takes a lot of upper body strength (most likely nobody has to worry about that here). Go as low as you can, with your abs nearly touching the ground, and then use the abdominal muscles to pull yourself back up. Simple but effective.

Arbalest
06-19-07, 8:53 am
Deadlifts and Squats for me... Belt-less of course.

TufffGuY
06-19-07, 12:17 pm
I find those make my abs too bulky. I like the twists though.

You should add weight to your ab workouts, doign 50 rep crucnches isn't gonna do shit for your abs, when what your doing if too easy, add weight. Your abs are just like any other muscle, they row the same.

As for me, I don't really do all that much ab work, squats and Deadlifts work the abs a lot, and same with front squats.

dirtbag
06-19-07, 1:58 pm
3 days a week, 25 minutes straight no rest between each set, alternating between 5 excersizes, it killllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllssss

WillWest
06-19-07, 2:01 pm
I stick in about 200 crunches/leg raises every day or every other day. I like to mix it up and keep them guessing.

I think it doesnt get talked about much because they are a boring exercise, plus I dont get a kick out of beating a previous AB personal bet like i do out of beating a deadlift or bench press.

Skater51o
06-19-07, 5:48 pm
I do a mix of manual/ball abs and machine abs. One week one way, next week the other. As far as the machine, I do twists 3 x 15, on the ball I do straight leg raises 3 x 12 and trunk twists with a medicine ball between my knees 3 x 10.

Manual abs are a bit more complicated:

-50 crunches
-Legs crossed:
25 R over L
25 L over R

One leg extended, one knee bent:
15 reps opposite arm touching knee
switch up for other side 15 reps
straight leg raises 15 reps (all done one after another, minimal rest)

Tried that today. Only changes I made were The leg lifts I did on an incline. I also did hanging reverse crunches. Made my abs feel pretty good. Got a good burn goin

Joe D'Amato
06-19-07, 9:58 pm
to get good looking abs you have to loose body fat not keep working them out. working out helps just loosing the body fat shows it all.

Skater51o
06-20-07, 2:54 am
obviously. you can still work them to make them more defined, so when I do loose the body fat they will be better than if I didn't work them at all. I'm on a bulk so im not expecting to have hella defined abs. I just want to build them so when I cut, they will look good.

Toni69
06-20-07, 3:02 am
Yes, diet, cardio and low bodyfat are important pieces to getting shredded and hard abs, but you still must build those muscles by trainng them regularly so when you do lean out, there is something there to see. Plus, training abs is important for other reasons than to achieve an aesthetically pleasing midsection. Your abs are your core and they support your low back (tranverse abdominus in particular; the muscles you cannot see). These are assisting you in movements like squats, leg press, deads, even bench press.

Train smart, train your abs every other day and train them hard! They do more work than you think in your other lifts and if they are not strong enough, your low back will suffer later on.

WillWest
06-20-07, 6:30 am
Yes, diet, cardio and low bodyfat are important pieces to getting shredded and hard abs, but you still must build those muscles by trainng them regularly so when you do lean out, there is something there to see. Plus, training abs is important for other reasons than to achieve an aesthetically pleasing midsection. Your abs are your core and they support your low back (tranverse abdominus in particular; the muscles you cannot see). These are assisting you in movements like squats, leg press, deads, even bench press.

Train smart, train your abs every other day and train them hard! They do more work than you think in your other lifts and if they are not strong enough, your low back will suffer later on.

Sound advice

big3434
01-11-08, 3:51 am
what are good ab and oblique workouts. my ab workout is working starting to see them since i got my diet straighten out. having trouble with the oblique area or love handles.

RoJoHen
01-11-08, 5:11 am
Love handles are probably the last place you'll lose fat, so expect to have them until the end.

kyderz
01-11-08, 5:32 am
Give up now, and go drink a few beers.

Just kidding.

Diet and cardio.

Carpe Diem P.T
01-11-08, 5:48 am
Give up now, and go drink a few beers.

Just kidding.

Diet and cardio.

u had me so excited until the end :(

Mr.Hardcore98
01-11-08, 8:08 am
woodchoppers are a good exercise that i like to throw it

billmd1334
02-05-08, 1:33 pm
My gym doesn't have much in the way of equipment for abs, and what they do have usually has a line of people waiting to use it. So without any weights at home, can anyone suggest some simple ab routines to use at my house so a few times a week when I want to hit abs or whatever I can spend 10 or 15 minutes doing that without having to fight a line of people to use the crunch machine.

Thanks

zhawrot
04-09-08, 1:35 am
You go to the gym and see people doing a million different crunches, leg raises, bends, etc. I know the bicycle movement is said to be one of the best for overall abs, but other than that what are the best exercises to do for Abs? I feel like sometimes you can do 100 of one technique and feel like it's not doing a thing.

JMC
04-09-08, 11:02 am
I don't know about "best" excercises, but I have my faves... one of which is hanging leg lifts.

BrotherInArms
04-11-08, 12:20 am
47 Sit-ups.
47 Crunches.
47 Oblique Twists.
47 Cable Crunches.
47 Scissor Movements.

Chea.

Matt Dickerson
04-11-08, 12:29 am
Some staples are roman chair or GHR situps while holding a plate, barbell or holding a band behind the head. I also love doing landmines, 1 arm suitcase dead lifts, ab pulldowns, leg raises, and the ab roller with the little wheel with handles. Planks are pretty good for beginners who have a hard time starting with sit ups.

callme47
04-11-08, 3:59 pm
47 Sit-ups.
47 Crunches.
47 Oblique Twists.
47 Cable Crunches.
47 Scissor Movements.

Chea.

Thats what im talking abought.

P-Ram
05-22-08, 1:12 am
I've still got some time before I start cutting up but I was wondering what would be a good Abs routine while I'm dropping weight.

Any ideas?

Matt Dickerson
05-22-08, 1:20 am
I've still got some time before I start cutting up but I was wondering what would be a good Abs routine while I'm dropping weight.

Any ideas?

Start doing weighted situps and start with a 45 pound barbell behind your neck and try to bang out 3-4 sets of ten reps. Add weight and try to get stronger each week and your abs will change dramatically. I do this in a power cage and use a bench with attachments that hold the legs in place. I set the pins at a height where I am going to about 25 degree angle. If you can't do the 45 bar start with a 20 pound ez curl bar and add weight from there.

For your obliques start doing landmines. Here is someone doing them on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG0mgmuuIiY

These will take your oblique to a whole new level. Do 3 sets of 10 for each side and you should be fried.

P-Ram
05-22-08, 2:20 am
I appreciate it. I'll mos def be using this routine when the time comes.

priority
05-22-08, 2:55 am
treat your abs like any other muscle i say. I.E progressive resistance, overload, variety, rest pause, drop sets. Get creative and make it burn!

sanga
05-22-08, 3:26 am
I agree to treat the as like any other muscle in that hit it from all angles but I don`t like the idea of drop sets and pushing to failure, I want a tight midsection rather than a bigger one, developing the muscles can make you look too big in that area.

I also like to do it as part of a core routine, so hit upper, lower abs, intercostals, seratus, lower back etc.

There are 100s of exercises but I like the following-

Crunches
Leg raise
Chinnies (knee to opposite elbow)
Side bends
Twists
Supermans
Hyper extentions
Reverse Hyper extentions
The plank

Obviously not all in one go.

ShaqFu
05-22-08, 11:32 am
When it comes to abs, I feel that, at least in my case, using weighted exercises is NOT the way to go. The way I see it, when I did weighted exercises for abs (did it for about 6months) my abs got TOO big. My core was fucking big, but honestly, in the scheme of things, it really fucks up with my symmetry and I think it looks retarded when it looks as if you are pregnant b/c of weight ab exercises. However, seeing as different shit works for different people, weighted exercises may indeed work for you, but for me, hanging leg raises, leg lifts, weightless crunches, reverse crunches, and all other bodyweight ab exercises at high reps do the trick. Experiment with weights n no weights and see what you think.
ShaqFu

InkdMuscle
05-27-08, 3:38 pm
for me when i work abs I do hanging leg raises, weighted ab crunches. then use one of the ab machines not nec. in that order. i try to elave the weighted crunches to last. because by my last set im struggleing to finish them. my abs are burn'n like crazy.

Dead(Lift)
05-28-08, 3:46 pm
I do as little as possible for my, for now, as I'm doing about a 3-5 year bulk. I'm 15, so that's why it's gunna be long as hell. With some occasional heavy cardio months incase I gain to much fat. But as for my ab workouts heres what I do:

Crunches SS Leg Raises(don't put your hand under your butt if you do) - 3X15
Planks - 3Xmax time (start adding weight when all three sets are over 1 minute)
Side Planks - 3Xmax time (same as above) (both sides)
Full Contact Twists - 3X5

Of course you don't have the do the side planks and fct, but I'm into boxing a little. If you wanna protect your girl and impress her by how hard you hit(other guys, not her) FCT's will improve that alot, along with good punching form.

And for those that can do decline crunches really easy, try Dragon Flags, invented by Bruce Lee, and showed on Rocky 4(i think). Google them and give them a try, you won't be able to complete 1 perfect rep.

Brick By Brick
05-28-08, 3:59 pm
I don't have the dietary discipline to see all my abs. But the top two are nice. My ab training is for strength and core stability, mainly. I do abs 3 times a week, during Squat, DL and Shoulder Press days. All sessions are weighted. 3 sets of 10 reps. For now, I'm doing standing cable crunches, decline sit-ups with a 10lb plate behind my head, and decline sit-ups holding a 35 or 25 lb plate.
I like dragon flags, and will start working those back into my routine here pretty soon. Leg raises on the dip tower are a good one, also.

hatebreedXXX69
08-10-08, 4:45 am
Hey,
does anybody here train their abs??like crunches and stuff??what are your thoughts on training them, and what exercises are good??
thanks

panzerwagen
08-10-08, 5:41 am
Hey,
does anybody here train their abs??like crunches and stuff??what are your thoughts on training them, and what exercises are good??
thanks

Yes I train my abs (of course) and I hope everyone else here does that too! Strong abs are important, partly because they help stabilise the back. You need strong abs (obliques included) in order to be able to perform movements such as squats and deadlifts, different kinds of rows, in a safe manner. It doesn't matter how strong your different bodyparts might be - with weak abs you are most likely to get hurt one day during a workout.

I think more people could well put more effort into training the abs. It will pay off in the long run. Unfortunately I rarely see people working the abs hard (or even at all) in my gym.

As for training the abs, there are many good exercises to choose from. I like to train in an intense manner, stacking a couple of different exercises for each set. An example would be doing tri sets of crunch on gymball + crunch w/body flat on floor + broom stick twists. remember not to rest between the exercises, that's the whole idea of it. When I do something like this I don't rest very much between these circuits, but try to go on quite intensely. 3 or 4 of these tri sets is usually enough for me.

Still, I have to say I have realised I need to add weight to my abs exercises. Since the abs are so important for the stability of the body, their strength should be able to match up wtih the rest of the bodyparts. I have suffered from back problems for quite some time now, partly because of poor core stability. But I also believe that I need to let the abs do some more powerful work in order to get strong enough to keep me safe. So, I have started adding weight to my abs training on a regular basis. Three exercises that I find good are dumbbell side bends, static crunch holding additional weight, leg raises w/small dumbbell between feet.

Just now my favourite way to train the obliques are the dumbbell side bends. I like to train them as follows:

I don't use a very big range of motion doing these. I simply hold the dumbbell in one hand and lean down about 15cm, then back up again. I like to do about 12 sets with each weight/side, constantly moving up the rack for heavier weights. 5 sets means five different weights used without much rest (the only rest you get is when the other hand in holding the dumbbell).

Good luck

WeeMan
08-10-08, 8:33 am
Yes I train my abs (of course) and I hope everyone else here does that too! Strong abs are important, partly because they help stabilise the back. You need strong abs (obliques included) in order to be able to perform movements such as squats and deadlifts, different kinds of rows, in a safe manner. It doesn't matter how strong your different bodyparts might be - with weak abs you are most likely to get hurt one day during a workout.

I think more people could well put more effort into training the abs. It will pay off in the long run. Unfortunately I rarely see people working the abs hard (or even at all) in my gym.

As for training the abs, there are many good exercises to choose from. I like to train in an intense manner, stacking a couple of different exercises for each set. An example would be doing tri sets of crunch on gymball + crunch w/body flat on floor + broom stick twists. remember not to rest between the exercises, that's the whole idea of it. When I do something like this I don't rest very much between these circuits, but try to go on quite intensely. 3 or 4 of these tri sets is usually enough for me.

Still, I have to say I have realised I need to add weight to my abs exercises. Since the abs are so important for the stability of the body, their strength should be able to match up wtih the rest of the bodyparts. I have suffered from back problems for quite some time now, partly because of poor core stability. But I also believe that I need to let the abs do some more powerful work in order to get strong enough to keep me safe. So, I have started adding weight to my abs training on a regular basis. Three exercises that I find good are dumbbell side bends, static crunch holding additional weight, leg raises w/small dumbbell between feet.

Just now my favourite way to train the obliques are the dumbbell side bends. I like to train them as follows:

I don't use a very big range of motion doing these. I simply hold the dumbbell in one hand and lean down about 15cm, then back up again. I like to do about 12 sets with each weight/side, constantly moving up the rack for heavier weights. 5 sets means five different weights used without much rest (the only rest you get is when the other hand in holding the dumbbell).

Good luck

hah yeah....what he said!

i think alot of people forget that ur abs are muscles just like ur biceps or chest.
train them heavy and they will grow, train light with alot of reps and they will 'tone'.

panzerwagen
08-10-08, 11:42 am
hah yeah....what he said!

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by this sentence?
/P

WeeMan
08-10-08, 2:53 pm
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by this sentence?
/P

im agreeing with you.

thatdude111
08-10-08, 4:35 pm
Should you workout your abs if you're overweight. I heard somewhere that you don't want to workout your abs if you are overweight because it'll make your stomach look bigger and you should wait until you shed the weight off your belly then start training abs. Is this true?

Renji007
08-10-08, 9:41 pm
I have a question.

I have abs. They're not that hard to get if you eat right, and do your cardio. Yet I want to make them harder, mostly like a martial artists, simply because I just don't want them there for 'looks' I want them there to defend me in any scenario. How would I go about this?

I've heard that weights can help, but they give you some unpartitioned abs. Bodyweight is good, but it also lacks some stuff. Anyone know a good training regimen ? I would really appreciate it.

panzerwagen
08-11-08, 2:29 am
im agreeing with you.

Allright! It isn't always easy to catch the smaller varieties of second language use. Thanks man.

panzerwagen
08-11-08, 2:34 am
Should you workout your abs if you're overweight. I heard somewhere that you don't want to workout your abs if you are overweight because it'll make your stomach look bigger and you should wait until you shed the weight off your belly then start training abs. Is this true?

Personally I have never heard such a thing. And from a logical point of view, I believe that what you heard about abs training + overweight is just some sort of fairy tale.. or bullshit if I may. I simply cannot come up with why this would be a problem if you're overweight? But remember I'm no expert whatsoever. If I were you I'd go ahead and train the abs (and the rest of the body).

Maybe someone else has heard about this and can tell us more about it?

Donogh
08-11-08, 6:08 am
Squats are perfect for developing ab strength. As has been said here numerous times - diet and cardio = abs. No weird contraptions are going to make your abs pop out over the fat. If you have been squatting and deadlifting like a true animal then you will have good ab strength already. Crunches and Reverse Crunches can be used if you feel you have to train abs. Diet and Cardio are your real ticket to a good looking midsection

thatdude111
08-11-08, 2:57 pm
'panzerwagen' I forgot where i heard that but you're right it probably is bullshit. Thanks

panzerwagen
08-12-08, 1:01 pm
'panzerwagen' I forgot where i heard that but you're right it probably is bullshit. Thanks

Allright. You just go along and follow your instict. If you believe training your abs will make you feel better and healthier - do it! I wish you the best of luck with your training!

Big Wides
08-12-08, 1:57 pm
I'll throw some gems in here:

Landmines
Weighted Roman Chair Raises (db between legs)
Hanging leg raise
Med ball twists
Barbell Twists
Decline Situps with barbell behind back
Side bends
Rev Glute Ham Situps
Ab Pulldowns

Gunz1
08-12-08, 2:02 pm
i like to throw in a ton of low ab stuff... the top abs come in easy... that and oblique work are the two biggest problem areas... i think for the most part like all the bros have been sayin on here... abs are all diet and cardio... emphasis on diet!!!

airborneIRON
08-12-08, 11:05 pm
I have a full workout you can do, I promise you'll limp away wondering why GOD has punsihed you.

GIANT SET:

PERFORM THREE TIMES EXCERISE 1 FOLLOWED BY EXCERISE 2, THEN PERFORM ONE TIME EXCERISE 1 FOLLOWED BY EXCERISE 3, THEN PERFORM ONE TIME EXCERISE 1 FOLLOWED BY EXCERISE 4, AND END WITH EXCERISE 1.

EXCERISE 1:RUSSIAN TWISTS 5 REPS/ 85%
EXCERISE 2:REVERSE CRUNCHERS 12 REPS/ 75% (RHYTHMIC)
EXCERISE 3:SIDEBENDERS LEFT AND RIGHT 40 REPS/ 40% (SLOW)
EXCERISE 4:CRUNCHERS 40 REPS/ 40% (SLOW)

i dig it, but add hanging leg raises...burn so good

thatdude111
08-23-08, 2:31 pm
How exactly do you perform broomstick twists, do you do it for a long time, how fast do you do them?

thatdude111
08-25-08, 4:53 pm
I usually do broom twist twist for about 5 minutes but I don't feel any burn? Do you need to add weights to this exercise

NJC_Manhattan
01-19-09, 2:09 pm
I know Cardio and burning that fat is very important. I also know that endless crunches and weird ab machines are more gimicky that legit. And 'lower ab' exercises also seem suspicious. What do you think is the best exercises for ab development? Thanks.

InkdMuscle
01-19-09, 2:20 pm
I know Cardio and burning that fat is very important. I also know that endless crunches and weird ab machines are more gimicky that legit. And 'lower ab' exercises also seem suspicious. What do you think is the best exercises for ab development? Thanks.

Honestly there are so many ways to hit abs. SO I have to go with my mentor Rage on this one. He has told me to just my diet and keep my cardio in tacked. Then throw in 100 reg ab crunches, 100 oblique crunches each side twice a week. Some animals work them everyday some dont. So in a week I have hit 600 crunches total. I dont use weighted or the machines. Just good ol on the floor ab crunches.

redskin 344
01-19-09, 2:27 pm
All you need to do is breath inensely with your big lifts like squats and deadlifts and your core will be burning.

From what I know endless crunches wont give you shit. You need to do lower reps and add intenseity. Try janda situps and hanging leg raises, and ofcourse the brutal ab wheel. For obliques definately do one arm suitcase style deadlifts and full contact twists. Nothing will fry them more. I strongly recommend them as they are killer.

NJC_Manhattan
01-19-09, 2:30 pm
All you need to do is breath inensely with your big lifts like squats and deadlifts and your core will be burning.

From what I know endless crunches wont give you shit. You need to do lower reps and add intenseity. Try janda situps and hanging leg raises, and ofcourse the brutal ab wheel. For obliques definately do one arm suitcase style deadlifts and full contact twists. Nothing will fry them more. I strongly recommend them as they are killer.

AB wheel?

InkdMuscle
01-19-09, 2:32 pm
AB wheel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_Hp1Wf52k (AB WHEEL)

I used one in the beginning with my abs. I got good deep burns but if u mess up with the wheel as far as form and muscle contraction goes you can pull a chest muscle as well. That is what happened to me and it was a bitch to heal. AND IT HURT LIKE HELL. thats why i just stick to traditional floor crunches.

J Wong
01-19-09, 3:12 pm
Heavy decline situps.

redskin 344
01-19-09, 3:18 pm
Dude like I said before, stick with doing big movements and do intense breathing. Not only will your abs be burning but you will get stronger in general. The abs are the powerhouse of the body and strong hard abs=a strong body.

yea add some heavy crunches with low reps and definately do one arm suitcase style deadlifts. They are an exercise you need to experience to believe.

J.Damico
01-19-09, 3:40 pm
Normal floor situps work hip flexors (the iliopsoas muscles)... not the abdominal muscles. The primary role of the abdominal muscles is to "crunch" the ribcage toward the pelvis. Stick it exercises that require your back to curl (like a cat spine) and be careful not to use your neck muscles. Suck in your stomach as you are doing them as well
If you question what I just said. It comes from Arnolds encyclopedia second edition
But because it is your core region you use it for everything you do. Try having abdominal surgery and youll know what I'm talking about. Deadlifts, squats. Intensity is the key to abdominal strength. Happy Lifting!

rhane
01-19-09, 4:43 pm
Hang from the pull-up bar with a shoulder width grip and do straight leg hanging crunches. Make sure you cock your hips under you. Do 100 of these and I dare you to do a sit-up.

prowrestler
01-19-09, 4:54 pm
Heavy decline situps.

x2

Binney08
01-19-09, 6:12 pm
yea heavy declines work really well for me too. i can feel the burn and my abs really working.
also for me, when i do db rows it feels like im working my abs ALOT too. my form is good i dont do any twisting or anything that might further induce ab usage.

about the ab roller.. i remember reading an article way way back saying it doesnt work your abs at all, is useless, or somethign along those lines... just thought id throw that out there. whether its true i dont know.

redskin 344
01-19-09, 6:41 pm
If anyone has heard of the 'scissor' method of ab training, it incredibly cranks up the intensity and tension in your abs. This is when you push your knees towards eachother while doing heavy crunches or whatever ab exercise.

For example, sit down and tense your abs and place your fists inbetween your knees and push your knees together so you crush your fists together, you will notice that your abs tense even harder.

It is a tension technique soviet trainers and specs use for core workout.

Sho
01-20-09, 12:54 am
I like weighted situps, knees-to-elbows, and L-pullups. These 3 cover all the bases.

sixthbeatle
01-20-09, 1:13 am
Heavy decline situps.

That's exactly what I do... put a 45 pound plate on your chest and sit up... a lot. Twist to the left and right to hit the obliques a bit...

sanga
01-20-09, 4:42 am
I really find it hard to believe you can hit upper abs, lower abs or even upper chest, lower chest for that matter without hitting the rest of the muscle, hit the abs with crunches hard to failure and you will hit the whole muscle, upper and lower.

mritter3
01-20-09, 7:33 am
diet is #1
cardio is #2
and heavy compound movements with your abs tightened will do you good my man.

theharjmann
01-20-09, 10:28 am
diet is #1
cardio is #2
and heavy compound movements with your abs tightened will do you good my man.

DEADLIFTS and SQUATS....end

trainer89
01-20-09, 9:24 pm
Heavy squats and deadlifts work your core hard. But its always good to work your core directly at least once a week. This is just my opinion but the best ab exercises to me are weighted decline crunches, weighted hanging leg raises, and rope crunches. You should do ab exercises weighted to make them pop. treat them like any other muscle.

TheBassGuy
01-20-09, 9:30 pm
Im a big believer in circuit training for abs.
12x reg. crunhes
12x leg raises
12x broomstick twists (each side)
I'll do it for as long as I can.

thatdude111
01-21-09, 1:01 pm
Im a big believer in circuit training for abs.
12x reg. crunhes
12x leg raises
12x broomstick twists (each side)
I'll do it for as long as I can.

That's exactly what I do for abs. For broomstick twists I do a lot of them and don't really feel any burn, am I doing them wrong?

redskin 344
01-21-09, 4:39 pm
That's exactly what I do for abs. For broomstick twists I do a lot of them and don't really feel any burn, am I doing them wrong?

if you are doing broomstick twist actually for your obliques then ofcourse you wont feel any burn. Its more for flexibility.

If you want a killer oblique workout, do One arm suitcase style deadlifts, saxon side bends and full contact twists (which have been shown to dramatically increases punching power).

trainer89
01-24-09, 2:17 pm
if you are doing broomstick twist actually for your obliques then ofcourse you wont feel any burn. Its more for flexibility.

If you want a killer oblique workout, do One arm suitcase style deadlifts, saxon side bends and full contact twists (which have been shown to dramatically increases punching power).

what are saxon side bends and full contact twists? How do you do them?

fingerM3
03-31-09, 4:39 pm
My abs are lacking, and i've been hitting them really hard for about 7 weeks. I do hanging leg lifts (really trying to isolate my abs when doing them) and also normal sit-ups with 20 lbs on my chest. Any suggestions?

TortFeasor
03-31-09, 4:43 pm
Abs are generally a product of diet and cardio, so you have to have those in line before you get the desired results. So how are they? What are your stats (height, weight, bf%)?

fingerM3
03-31-09, 7:22 pm
I dont have a clue about my bf%, but i'm 6'3 196.5

mritter3
03-31-09, 8:19 pm
the definition of your abs is all about diet, cardio, and bodyfat %, i think around 6-8% you should be able to see a six pack, hanging leg raises are a great exercise along with weighted crunches, and some reverse crunches.

fingerM3
03-31-09, 9:33 pm
i need to incorporate some cardio then. how often do you guys do cardio? what kind of exercises? how long?

Pantera52
03-31-09, 9:44 pm
i need to incorporate some cardio then. how often do you guys do cardio? what kind of exercises? how long?

I do cardio about 4 times a week. i switch it up everytime so my body doesnt get used to it. Biking, Running, Walking, Eliptical etc. roughly 30 mins each session.

TortFeasor
04-01-09, 4:48 pm
How is you diet looking? For cardio, I am a fan of walking at an incline at around 3.3 mph, incline of 10...boring as hell but it gets results.

Glory
04-15-09, 9:41 pm
I'm in need of some legit ab workouts. I'm lacking in that department and I want to start training them a bit tougher. Feel free to post any exercises you know that do some damage.

mritter3
04-15-09, 9:45 pm
hey bud everyone has a six pack but you gotta get your bf% down under 10 or so to have them showing, if you want some good exercises try, decline weighted situps, hanging knee raises, reverse cruches, but in reality its all about diet and cardio bro.

Glory
04-15-09, 9:54 pm
Thanks a lot, but what about sets/reps?

AFTazz06
04-15-09, 11:56 pm
Thanks a lot, but what about sets/reps?

Train them like every other muscle, 3-4 excercises 3-4 sets, once, maybe twice a week (thats a BIG maybe). Reps, go as long as you can handle the burn.

Pizzalamp
04-16-09, 12:34 am
heres my fav workout

Hanging wipers
3 sets of 25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcWUivTRNJg

Hanging Leg Circles Above Head
3 sets of 8-10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBABuwXEr4g

Hanging Reverse Crunches
3 sets of 12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyRWU_ZrdEw&feature=related

Dragon Flags
2 sets of 8-10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHw0jXiYQXI&feature=related

sodapop
04-16-09, 8:09 am
A lot of people say "for abs just diet down", but it's more than that. I mean, if you just want to see your abs, that's what it boils down to (though your abs can grow, just like any other muscle). But, a strong core is important, for weightlifting and any sport that you might play.

We just did this circuit last night at Jiu Jitsu, as I've said in another thread, but I think it would be helpful for you, if you really wanna work your abs. I'd advise doing it once a week, and on another day maybe some weighted decline sit-ups and such - and don't forget your lower back!

Lying leg lifts
Lying flutter kicks
Crunches
Lying bicycles (ask if you don't know what I mean by this - not sure if that's the real name)
Lying leg extensions (Knees to chest and extend)

Do all of these in varying sets of 50 and 100 until you hit a total of 1000 reps.

Joe D'Amato
07-29-09, 10:27 am
Based on muscle development & low to no pain level. EX.(sit-ups have a high strain level so i wouldnt vote for them.

I have a herniated neck and a bad back so alot of exercises but alot of strain on those areas. Which exercise do you prefur?

Situps
Crunches
Bicycles
Captain's Chair Leg Raise
Exercise Ball Crunch
Decline Crunch
Verticle Leg Lifts
Any you can think of...

Fury317
07-29-09, 10:31 am
I dont have the greatest core strength in the world, but I personally like hanging knee/leg raises, decline crunches, stability ball crunches, and rope crunches (thats just for abs though, obliques and lower back are worked with other exercises, obviously)

GJN5002
07-29-09, 10:34 am
rope crunches, russian twists, windshield wiper, roman chair, barbell roll out. Tthe cable pull down machine can be used for alot of really good core movement. Use a sledgehammer/ax motion while holding the rope. Also bridges are probably my favorite. I try to limit actual crunching movements.

Ironjaw
08-09-09, 2:14 pm
Core movements dont only have to deal with your front.... and unfortunately since his thread is here i gotta post in it to get my question answered.... even tho its kinda not what i need ...

i need Core strengthening exercises which abbz are only 1 part of since glutes and lower back are also a big part of your core.... but does anyone have any ideas on strengthening that part of your body solely??? cuz ive been having alot of lower back pain and i think its due to the fact i hardly work out the core of my body

Ady
08-09-09, 5:45 pm
I like standing on a gym ball while doing squats, I know sounds random but its awesome for the core. Build up from kneeling on it, to standing on it then to squatting on it and if your really mega you can squat with a bar and some weights . . . just make sure it doesn;t pop

Young&Hungry
08-09-09, 10:12 pm
Beltless front, overhead, or back squats.

Ironjaw
08-09-09, 10:14 pm
>.> kinda pointless when i said i have lower back pain and you suggest i do squats without a belt .... thus resulting in more back pain

Young&Hungry
08-09-09, 10:27 pm
>.> kinda pointless when i said i have lower back pain and you suggest i do squats without a belt .... thus resulting in more back pain

Didn't read that bro, sorry about that. You are incorrect in saying that squatting with a belt at all times will stave off back pain. Most back pain results from having a weak low back and core. Overuse of the belt often actually leads to back injuries.

Why do you still have back pain? Have you let the injury heal and been properly diagnosed by a doctor? Last year I broke two facet joints above my L5 disc and slipped the same disc, and after letting the injury fully heal I have not had any residual pain since. So if you're saying you have a herniated disc, assuming that you got it taken care of by a doctor you should no be having pain and there might be something else wrong. If you haven't seen a doctor and are self diagnosing, go to a doctor and get it taken care of before a little pain becomes a big injury like what happened to me.

I know you're a young cat from some of your previous posts so at this age, you need to take care of yourself and ensure that you're healthy and orthopedically sound before you worry about a good ab workout.

Ironjaw
08-09-09, 10:35 pm
Didn't read that bro, sorry about that. You are incorrect in saying that squatting with a belt at all times will stave off back pain. Most back pain results from having a weak low back and core. Overuse of the belt often actually leads to back injuries.

Why do you still have back pain? Have you let the injury heal and been properly diagnosed by a doctor? Last year I broke two facet joints above my L5 disc and slipped the same disc, and after letting the injury fully heal I have not had any residual pain since. So if you're saying you have a herniated disc, assuming that you got it taken care of by a doctor you should no be having pain and there might be something else wrong. If you haven't seen a doctor and are self diagnosing, go to a doctor and get it taken care of before a little pain becomes a big injury like what happened to me.

I know you're a young cat from some of your previous posts so at this age, you need to take care of yourself and ensure that you're healthy and orthopedically sound before you worry about a good ab workout.

ye dont worry about me i kno whats wrong and hence y i posted good core workouts... i kno my core is weak since i neglect it .... but as of now i cant squat period... i used to do beltless squats but thats not the present ... and dont think im unknowledgable lol ive been around the block quite a few times... but alas im as stubborn as a bull and neglected something that i knew i shouldnt have.... just asking how to strengthen them without grinding on whats already hurtin ....

Oh and on that note i wasnt looking for abb workouts... since core isnt just about abbz ... just thought id ellaborate ... i was gunna make my own thread but i knew since this 1 was here mine was gunna get shot down so no im not really looking for abb workouts...

Young&Hungry
08-09-09, 10:40 pm
ye dont worry about me i kno whats wrong and hence y i posted good core workouts... i kno my core is weak since i neglect it .... but as of now i cant squat period... i used to do beltless squats but thats not the present ... and dont think im unknowledgable lol ive been around the block quite a few times... but alas im as stubborn as a bull and neglected something that i knew i shouldnt have.... just asking how to strengthen them without grinding on whats already hurtin ....

Oh and on that note i wasnt looking for abb workouts... since core isnt just about abbz ... just thought id ellaborate ... i was gunna make my own thread but i knew since this 1 was here mine was gunna get shot down so no im not really looking for abb workouts...

My post never meant to demean your knowledge, I was just trying to find the source of your problem. That post was also directed at Joe (the OP) so if you read this please hit me back up. Just remember that there is a difference between being in pain and being injured - pain you suck it up and keep going, and "hurt" you stop and get healthy, end of story. It seems like you answered your own question. What are you currently doing to bring up your core?

arab910
08-10-09, 2:28 pm
I dont have the greatest core strength in the world, but I personally like hanging knee/leg raises, decline crunches, stability ball crunches, and rope crunches (thats just for abs though, obliques and lower back are worked with other exercises, obviously)

hell ya i go reeeeal slow on those hanging knee raises from a pull up bar and release my legs from the middle and to the sides to hit those obliques

theharjmann
08-11-09, 4:11 am
crunches whilst sat on a swiss ball

-supersetted with-

hanging knee raises.........but the way i do them is different and i feel hits the abs MUCh more

ill expand.....whilst hanging from a bar (i would reccomend you use straps unless you are Wrath or Lee Priest), keep your legs straight out in front of you (so they are parallel to the floor). Now, for each rep, bring your knees to touch your armpits, hold and squeeze, then release legs to being parallel with the floor - this is one rep....i can just about to 10 of these reps with strict form.

BryanSmash!
08-11-09, 9:25 am
Dragon Flags! You know, from Rocky 4? I can do all of about 2. Yeah, no big deal lol.

Dr.Platypus
10-31-09, 2:40 pm
I DO 1000 CRUNCHES A DAY BUT STILL DON'T HAVE AN 8 PACK WHAT DO I DO???????

just kidding.

I'm wondering what the best exercises are for ab/core strength. I tried using the search function but since half the entries in "your journey" end with "finished up with some abs" it wasn't helpful.

prowrestler
10-31-09, 2:48 pm

just kidding.

I'm wondering what the best exercises are for ab/core strength. I tried using the search function but since half the entries in "your journey" end with "finished up with some abs" it wasn't helpful.

planks

weighted decline situps

ab wheel rollouts

Dr.Platypus
10-31-09, 2:52 pm
thanks man, ab wheel roll outs are the only ones I haven't been doing. I don't think there is an ab wheel at my gym, would medicine ball roll ups be an OK substitute? Obviously they aren't ideal as it is best to do those wheel rollouts from standing I think.

prowrestler
10-31-09, 2:55 pm
thanks man, ab wheel roll outs are the only ones I haven't been doing. I don't think there is an ab wheel at my gym, would medicine ball roll ups be an OK substitute? Obviously they aren't ideal as it is best to do those wheel rollouts from standing I think.

use a barbell, thats what i do. put some 25's on and ur set

theharjmann
10-31-09, 3:01 pm

just kidding.

abs are completely different from your core.

what most people refer to "abs" are your surface abs which have nothung to do with your core.

your core is worked in conjunction with your spine and every other muscle in your body. you cant really see your core..u can feel it.

the core is worked by performing heavy compound lifts with perfect form, and most of all, PERFECT POSTURE

surface abs are always worked...but only appear when bodyfat is very low

Dr.Platypus
10-31-09, 3:28 pm
abs are completely different from your core.

what most people refer to "abs" are your surface abs which have nothung to do with your core.

your core is worked in conjunction with your spine and every other muscle in your body. you cant really see your core..u can feel it.

the core is worked by performing heavy compound lifts with perfect form, and most of all, PERFECT POSTURE

surface abs are always worked...but only appear when bodyfat is very low

I know dude, the abs thing was a joke

Dr.Platypus
10-31-09, 3:28 pm
use a barbell, thats what i do. put some 25's on and ur set

will do!

RK
10-31-09, 3:56 pm
my fav thing for something like this is weighted 6 inches. I hold a dumbell between my ankles with my toes pointed as far back as i can. i like to put my hands below my ass palm down. I hold it for as long as i can than do a few short reps with a slow deliberate up and down motion. Give them a try and let me know what you think

GUNS
10-31-09, 5:15 pm
Ab wheel for sure. It is my growth season ab work, along with heavy cable crunches front ande side.

Go to a sears or somewhere and get a ab wheel. you can travel with it. Start out only doing 1 set of 10-12. You will feel it I promise. They are no joke at all. I do 3 sets of 10-12. Give it a shot.

IronJunkie
11-02-09, 2:31 pm
They're made in the kitchen, brother.
As for exercises, I try not to rely on a belt unless it is absolutely necessary in the heavier pushing and pulling exercises. Also, rollouts with the BB and cable crunches with the rope attachment have never done me wrong. Train hard.

desolation
11-02-09, 8:13 pm
They're made in the kitchen, brother.
As for exercises, I try not to rely on a belt unless it is absolutely necessary in the heavier pushing and pulling exercises. Also, rollouts with the BB and cable crunches with the rope attachment have never done me wrong. Train hard.

perfect post man
doesnt matter how hard u train ur abs if u dnt drop the fat u will never see them

if u just want to strengthen the core an alternative to all the regular nd previously named (this might sound ridiculous to some) is pilates or even yoga. u would be suprised how hard it gets (if u do it properly) nd keep progressing

i have personally done it a few times nd it is alot harder than most ppl i knw would think nd perfect for developing overall core strength so ur back pain shouldnt get in the way

Dr.Platypus
11-02-09, 11:31 pm
yeah I was just asking about core strength for powerlifting

yoga is very, very difficult. I have tried it. I was not born with natural flexibility, can't even touch my toes.

desolation
11-03-09, 10:27 pm
yeah I was just asking about core strength for powerlifting

yoga is very, very difficult. I have tried it. I was not born with natural flexibility, can't even touch my toes.

yeh neither can i im trying to work on that, but yeh all im saying it just a different approach with good benefits, apparently many athletes use pilates to strength their core region

anyways good luck with it
train hard & peace

msktyshha
11-04-09, 7:55 am
I used to follow the 8 min ab workout guy when i was on a cut. heres the video if u never seen the 8 mins ab workout. its a constant non stoppp ab workout that has ur abs burning after 8 mins, atleast for me it did since i was a beginner at abs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWjTnBmCHTY

GUNS
11-06-09, 11:03 pm
I have a better workout, the 7 min abs!