PDA

View Full Version : AC joint sprain

strivin for more
07-15-10, 10:34 pm
hey bros
ive been gone awhile, but its time i got back and hit the weights with passion again. ive missed it. but i have an issue. i sprained my AC joint during the rugby season. its been an injury ive had for 4 months or so and it kept getting re-injured from the roughness of rugby. however the seasons done now, and its gotten a chance to rest. its about 95% pain free, but when i put weight on it to bench it sort of tingles. not hurt, just feels sore. i dont want to push it at this stage of recovery being so close, but its been at this stage for a few weeks now. Im getting sick of never doing shoulders or chest. has anyone else had any injury like this? if so, is whats happening to me the same as you?

thanks,
rob

AntoineV
07-16-10, 12:43 am
Dont get too exited.. you should take all the time it needs so it can heal. Also go see a masstherapist... he will help you with deep tissue massage....

and take Animal Flex!!

Pigskinmuscle
07-17-10, 10:02 pm
hey bros
ive been gone awhile, but its time i got back and hit the weights with passion again. ive missed it. but i have an issue. i sprained my AC joint during the rugby season. its been an injury ive had for 4 months or so and it kept getting re-injured from the roughness of rugby. however the seasons done now, and its gotten a chance to rest. its about 95% pain free, but when i put weight on it to bench it sort of tingles. not hurt, just feels sore. i dont want to push it at this stage of recovery being so close, but its been at this stage for a few weeks now. Im getting sick of never doing shoulders or chest. has anyone else had any injury like this? if so, is whats happening to me the same as you?

thanks,
rob

I had a very mild grade I sprain to my right shoulder... let me tell you, if you keep aggravating it, it will take forever to heal... a simple injury that should have taken a weekend to heal took three weeks because I was being an asshole..

strivin for more
07-18-10, 1:10 pm
yea man my injury has lasted forever... i wish i woulda let it heal months ago. but at least i can bench again. gotta get my strength back. thanks everyone.

Pigskinmuscle
07-18-10, 1:14 pm
yea man my injury has lasted forever... i wish i woulda let it heal months ago. but at least i can bench again. gotta get my strength back. thanks everyone.

focus on external rotation and don't neglect the entire deltoid musculature.. my bench is suffering right now because of the amount of back work I'm doing, but in the long run, it's worth it man.

strivin for more
05-03-12, 11:10 am
hey guys, funny as i searched for this and remembered i posted this same thing 2 years ago, figured id bring this one back instead of starting a new one.

here's the new problem.
ended up wearing out the cartiledge in my right shoulder and they had to do a clavicle resection. basically they took off a couple centimeters of my clavicle so it wouldn't rub against my shoulder. this was done 6 weeks before the start of rugby (i'm a team captain this year, woohoo). the injury happened in November, it was another ac joint sprain in my RIGHT shoulder this time, not my left. type I or II but wouldn't ever feel better because the cartiledge was gone. anyways, i played rugby with it and about 6-7 weeks ago, i got tackled and landed on that same shoulder. Tore the AC ligamint and have a type III or IV, funny because it is the same shoulder, just a different injury. my luck huh? I'm thinking III because i'm back to playing (with pain, but its manageable and the team doc said i couldn't make it worse anyways) but i'm finally able to support my BW in top portion of a pushup type stance, and really and wanting to do chest/shoulders this summer (haven't hit a good upper body session since Nov, its depressing). Has anyone else had this issue and could get back to me with a timeline? anyone with anything past a grade II? this is my third and worst AC joint injury, and im only 18.. haha.

at least the surgery fixed the 2nd one. any inputs appreciated.

rob

rainman
05-03-12, 5:11 pm
I feel your pain. I tore my AC last February. I don't mean to sound like an arse or anything, but are you sure it's a type 3 injury? This is what I had and I couldn't even lean over and pick up a coffee cup, let alone doing push ups. I tried to train around it. Got very good at the things that didn't affect it, (I got a PB in deadlifting for example), but all the while I was training around it, the symptoms were getting worse. It got to the point where I would pick up dumbbells for alternating hammers and not be able to complete one rep. In my opinion, the thing I found worse than not being able to train was getting weaker when I did.
Basically, I took a couple of months off everything. I still rode my bike for cardio, but any time I pulled up the bars or smash my bike though roots I'd feel it pull. As I was getting married in October I used the break from training as an excuse for wedding prep though, so the wife thought I was great! Coming back I started on the machines and gradually worked my way back up to free weights. I found the shoulder press machine particularly useful as you push the weight up in a arc movement so it took a bit of emphasis away from the torn area. I never have had surgery, but physio once in a while on it.
There is now a lump in my shoulder of scar tissue or something that does still get pretty sore when it's cold, but I'm benching again and growing slowly, so it's all good. I found a very informative article about AC injuries on the Livestrong site. Big Byrd posted a great shoulder health topic about a week or so back, so that's worth looking at too. It's funny how, post injury, Animal Flex gets bumped straight up in to 'Tier 1' status.
It may not be the answer you wanted, but it's how it played out for me.

strivin for more
05-03-12, 7:53 pm
I feel your pain. I tore my AC last February. I don't mean to sound like an arse or anything, but are you sure it's a type 3 injury? This is what I had and I couldn't even lean over and pick up a coffee cup, let alone doing push ups. I tried to train around it. Got very good at the things that didn't affect it, (I got a PB in deadlifting for example), but all the while I was training around it, the symptoms were getting worse. It got to the point where I would pick up dumbbells for alternating hammers and not be able to complete one rep. In my opinion, the thing I found worse than not being able to train was getting weaker when I did.
Basically, I took a couple of months off everything. I still rode my bike for cardio, but any time I pulled up the bars or smash my bike though roots I'd feel it pull. As I was getting married in October I used the break from training as an excuse for wedding prep though, so the wife thought I was great! Coming back I started on the machines and gradually worked my way back up to free weights. I found the shoulder press machine particularly useful as you push the weight up in a arc movement so it took a bit of emphasis away from the torn area. I never have had surgery, but physio once in a while on it.
There is now a lump in my shoulder of scar tissue or something that does still get pretty sore when it's cold, but I'm benching again and growing slowly, so it's all good. I found a very informative article about AC injuries on the Livestrong site. Big Byrd posted a great shoulder health topic about a week or so back, so that's worth looking at too. It's funny how, post injury, Animal Flex gets bumped straight up in to 'Tier 1' status.
It may not be the answer you wanted, but it's how it played out for me.

yea man that was exactly what i was looking for. and yes, i am sure. its tore clean off. and i have that large bump. its been about 8 weeks now that i count it. and in the beginning i couldnt reach over and pick up my shoes. my arm was in a sling or by my side, couldnt do anything else. I have the range of motion back, and cant DO a pushup, but can hold myself in the top part (think plank). Im still having trouble deadlifting and any kind of shrug hurts. curling and a lot of things hurt and really i can only squat well. haha. I have also read that live strong article, its good. Ive been doing a lot of rotator cuff exercises to try and help that area, and face pulls. I guess im just looking for more ra-ra success stories and what other people did.

rainman
05-04-12, 1:16 pm
Good to hear the recovery is progressing well. I've been doing a lot more delt exercises, like the face pulls and front delt raises, since the accident. I never really bothered with the 'little' exercises before, but I guess it's all part of the learning process.