PDA

View Full Version : Help with training split...

Zeus92
07-21-10, 4:08 pm
Hey guys,

So my chest is definitely my weakest part, both in development and actual strength. here's the current split im running

Back
Chest
Arms
off
Delts
Legs
off

But I'm thinking about switcin it up and doin this

Chest/Delts
Arms
off
Back/Rear Delts
Wheels
off

This way they're gettin hit at the beginning of the week, plus they'll get hit twice every 6 days as opposed to every 7 days. I'd do all my chest exercises before hittin the delts too. A chest day would probably look like this

Incline Smith/HS Press
Incline Flys
Decline HS Press
HS Behind the neck Press
Side Lateral Machine
Front Raise
Unilateral Cable Side lateral raise

Would this be beneficial or should i just stick with my current split?

Toro
07-21-10, 4:31 pm
First thing is first, if you wanna get better results on your chest i strongly recommend to switch to free weights and leave the HS machines and more importantly the smith machine alone.

Now personally when i wanna focus on improving a particular area i place it to the beggining of the week and more importantly i train it by its own, since you want a 100% effort on it. So i would train chest on its own or perhaps some abs and cardio. I also like a more volumewise aproche to chest training, 3 exercise is not enough imo i would add some DB pullovers or cable crossovers and switch the decline press for some DB presses. The pullovers give you a great stretch at the end of the workout and help to develop the whole ribcage.

Hope this helps you.

boyer77
07-21-10, 4:37 pm
I would stick with your current split. I also did not see any flat bench, either BB or DB. Flat bench is where you get your mass man... Here is what my routine looks like for chest:

Week 1
BB flat bench
DB incline
Dips
Flat Flyes

Week 2 ( I change things up a bit)
Incline BB
DB flat
Dips
DB pullovers

See if that may work for you. You should see a difference in a month or so if you push yourself...

Mr. Dead
07-21-10, 4:45 pm
Chest/Delts
Back/Rear Delts
off
Wheels
Arms
off

I'd do it this way, as then your arms will have time to recover and be fresh from being used as accessory muscles on your chest and back days, and you can go full bore with them...

G Diesel
07-21-10, 4:45 pm
I do like the second split, though I would consider dividing back and legs more. My chest/delts day would look more like this, were I you...

Flat Barbell Bench Press: 4 work sets x 12-4 reps
Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 work sets x 12-8 reps
Cable Crossovers: 3 work sets x 15-10 reps
DB Side Lateral Raises: 4 work sets x 15-6 reps
Reverse Pec Deck Flyes: 3 work sets x 15-10 reps
Seated Barbell Military Press: 3 work sets x 12-6 reps

I saved the military presses for last as your shoulders are already going to be shot from all of the heavy chest pressing. This way you hit your laterals when your side delts are still fresh, same for rear delts and then you press as heavy as possible at the end when you have nothing left in the tank, and you leave it all on the gym floor. 20 total sets should be plenty.

Peace, G

Zeus92
07-21-10, 5:01 pm
First thing is first, if you wanna get better results on your chest i strongly recommend to switch to free weights and leave the HS machines and more importantly the smith machine alone.

Believe me bro, i wish i could use more free weights. the problem is I'm pretty much always workin out by myself so for safety reasons i stick with machines. Hopefully i'll get a partner soon

I do like the second split, though I would consider dividing back and legs more. My chest/delts day would look more like this, were I you...

Flat Barbell Bench Press: 4 work sets x 12-4 reps
Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 work sets x 12-8 reps
Cable Crossovers: 3 work sets x 15-10 reps
DB Side Lateral Raises: 4 work sets x 15-6 reps
Reverse Pec Deck Flyes: 3 work sets x 15-10 reps
Seated Barbell Military Press: 3 work sets x 12-6 reps

I saved the military presses for last as your shoulders are already going to be shot from all of the heavy chest pressing. This way you hit your laterals when your side delts are still fresh, same for rear delts and then you press as heavy as possible at the end when you have nothing left in the tank, and you leave it all on the gym floor. 20 total sets should be plenty.

Peace, G

Thanks G im definitely tryin this next time i hit chest...which just so happens to be the same day as the next ABC haha so i can actually get a spot.

And I'm guessin back and legs one after another isn't a good idea since they're both the largest muscle groups, i'll swap out arms for legs in my split so it should look somethin like this...

Chest/Delts
Wheels
off
Back
Arms
off

Thanks for all the help guys...

G Diesel
07-21-10, 5:09 pm
Believe me bro, i wish i could use more free weights. the problem is I'm pretty much always workin out by myself so for safety reasons i stick with machines. Hopefully i'll get a partner soon

Thanks G im definitely tryin this next time i hit chest...which just so happens to be the same day as the next ABC haha so i can actually get a spot.

And I'm guessin back and legs one after another isn't a good idea since they're both the largest muscle groups, i'll swap out arms for legs in my split so it should look somethin like this...

Chest/Delts
Wheels
off
Back
Arms
off

Thanks for all the help guys...

Beautiful. That split looks perfect.

Though I'd also consider delts on their own (or maybe with bis) and then chest with tris. That way you can have separate days to focus on pressing (one day for delts, one day for chest). Or there are other ways to flip it...

Chest/Tris
Wheels
Off
Back/Bis
Delts
Off

or...

Chest/Tris
Wheels
Off
Back
Delts/Bis
Off

or...

Chest/Bis
Wheels
Off
Back
Delts/Tris
Off

Peace, G

Zeus92
07-21-10, 6:28 pm
Wow thanks for all the help G, I'll mix it up and see what works best for me. Can't wait to try out that routine