PDA

View Full Version : foundational training

msktyshha
07-21-10, 8:35 pm
what do most guys mean when they talk about "bodybuilding foundation" or "foundational training" what is it. Give me a sample foundational routine, the rep scheme, the exercises. are they referring to powerlifting type routines??

Legacy
07-21-10, 10:09 pm
what do most guys mean when they talk about "bodybuilding foundation" or "foundational training" what is it. Give me a sample foundational routine, the rep scheme, the exercises. are they referring to powerlifting type routines??

Its not necessarily powerlifting routine, its about packing on that first phase of muscle on the body. Building muscle with tendon and ligament support and building the basics to a body. Its not just about pumping up the muscle with blood and glycogen, its about having a solid base to support your body. Its hard to explain lol. Basically having a base, is the foundation and you can always change the detail once that base is on.

I look at it like a house. A house needs a solid firm foundation to stay upright, otherwise it will fall over. What you put on top of that foundation is up to you, you can always change and adapt and add detail to whats above the foundation, but the foundation must remain its solid concrete structure.

As far as a routine, the best way to build that foundation is through basic compound power movements. Doing exercises that will utilize the entire body and bring in a lot of muscle recruitment will benefit you more, than solely doing a isolation movement. Isolation movements train the muscle, the majority of compound movements utilize other muscle groups and recruits more fibers and connects everything. Think about it like this, when you do a bench press, you are utlizing the pecs, delts, and tris, and also training the ligaments and tendons to support what your doing. Whereas if you do something like a fly, you are strictly working the chest, some delt, but your not getting the same recruitment as you would if you did a bench. Reps can vary. All depends on how you want to train your body. I personally like the 6-15 rep range, all depends on how I feel that day.

Goliathus
07-22-10, 2:12 am
Bench
Squat
Deadlift
Shoulderpress
Clean

There's you a good set of exercises to build a "foundation"

The Misfit
07-22-10, 3:33 am
Its not necessarily powerlifting routine, its about packing on that first phase of muscle on the body. Building muscle with tendon and ligament support and building the basics to a body. Its not just about pumping up the muscle with blood and glycogen, its about having a solid base to support your body. Its hard to explain lol. Basically having a base, is the foundation and you can always change the detail once that base is on.

I look at it like a house. A house needs a solid firm foundation to stay upright, otherwise it will fall over. What you put on top of that foundation is up to you, you can always change and adapt and add detail to whats above the foundation, but the foundation must remain its solid concrete structure.

As far as a routine, the best way to build that foundation is through basic compound power movements. Doing exercises that will utilize the entire body and bring in a lot of muscle recruitment will benefit you more, than solely doing a isolation movement. Isolation movements train the muscle, the majority of compound movements utilize other muscle groups and recruits more fibers and connects everything. Think about it like this, when you do a bench press, you are utlizing the pecs, delts, and tris, and also training the ligaments and tendons to support what your doing. Whereas if you do something like a fly, you are strictly working the chest, some delt, but your not getting the same recruitment as you would if you did a bench. Reps can vary. All depends on how you want to train your body. I personally like the 6-15 rep range, all depends on how I feel that day.

Bench
Squat
Deadlift
Shoulderpress
Clean

There's you a good set of exercises to build a "foundation"

Agreed.

A personal thought...
Besides the physical benefits of so-called "foundation training" (strength, technique), there in lies the mental benefit; lifting heavy requires a great deal of physical output and thorough understanding of technical assistance however lifting heavy also requires a certain "mind-set".
One does not achieve such in an instance, such is achieved over a period of time (how long is dependent on the individual).
I guess it can be said that as one progresses in weight/strength, so will their ability to mentally overcome the task at hand (if that makes any sense).

There are various "foundational" schemes all designed with the same intention. Just a few to note:

Animal training routine #1 (http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=41)
Strong-lifts 5x5 (http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/)
Bill Star 5x5 (http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5)

RogueLion
07-22-10, 10:50 am

Legacy is spot on. A house can always be built bigger and taller and wider. BUT, if the joints, frame, and foundation are not strong and developed then the house is doomed to failure. Building a foundation takes time, years for me, and I am still developing it.

Training your ligaments, tendons, and mind to hand heavy weights, constant stress, and weight and diet fluctuations require a level of mental fortitude and constitution that takes time to develop.

Chances are if you feel you need a foundation you are fairly new to lifting. If so, then a very basic lifting program with a clean bulking diet over the course of a year will develop a basic foundation. My opinion.