PDA

View Full Version : Shrinkin' biceps??

[SWAT9806]
07-22-10, 6:36 pm
Really strange but the only thing that I've done differently is start Stak. I have tons of energy and just massive aggressiveness, just moving any weight I set out to. But I used to get a good pump, about .5" on my bis after an arm day and recently I feel the pump, but size isn't changing from pre workout size. What's this all about? Over-training the biceps?

Sprint
07-22-10, 8:37 pm
Most arm size comes from the triceps, as they are a larger muscle group than the biceps. Sure you're not neglecting them? On a flexed arm, most people look at the bi's, but the actual illusion of size (illusion being the best word i could come up with there) comes from having well developed tri's.
Another point, is it a case of gains slowing down? That happens over time, eventually you end up fighting for an extra 1/8th of an inch on the tape, or an extra pound on the bar whereas when you first start out gains are much quicker, much more pronounced & dare i say it, seemingly easier to come by.

You may just need to shake things up a bit, how long have you been on your current routine?
Incidently, I notice you also posted a thread about not being able to isolate your bi's. clearly the topics in each thread would appear to begat one another.

Sprint
07-22-10, 8:45 pm
With regards to the actual pump, various factors can influence it. Kepping properly hydrated is key. As in consuming good quality carbs during the day pre-workout.
Personally, in the gym I find drop sets always good for getting a pump.

Might be worth considering hitting up some bi/tri supersets to really get some blood to the entire upper arm area.

[SWAT9806]
07-22-10, 8:52 pm
Yea Sprint, I was confused too how I can't seem to isolate the biceps but I'm working on it. Also what you said about beginner gains is probably true, I gained very fast now not seeing much progress. But you don't think it's overtraining?

I've tried supersets before and like how they hit the arm good but once I'm having a good bicep session I tend to like it so much I just stay on bis for the hour I lift and say screw it, I'll do tris tomorrow. Should I just force myself to a just a few exercises of bis and tris to just get to the hour point? I try to not lift past one hour

Sprint
07-22-10, 8:59 pm
woah there bro, an hour just on biceps?
Stick up your routine, with rest times between sets.

Everybody loves hitting those bi's, but you wanna be splitting your sleeves open, you need them tri's or you'll not be splitting anything.

True enough, you dont want to be going past an hour with your workouts but that doesnt mean you should be looking to take it to the hour-mark. If you're done after 40mins, then you're done. Leaves more time to eat, rest & grow.

[SWAT9806]
07-22-10, 9:11 pm
Sounds good man, thanks. It's like addictive to keep going however if I have the energy I just don't want to cause more harm than good.

Sprint
07-22-10, 9:16 pm
yeah i know where you're coming from. 1 way to look at it tho, typically people's favourite stuff to do in the gym is the stuff they're good at. All the more reason to do the stuff you dislike cos chances are you'll dislike the stuff you're not so good at. Not so good usually means a weaker exercise/bodypart. That's the bits you need to add more emphasis to, in order to bring them up. In this case, probably the triceps. Once the lagging part/exercise gets stronger/bigger etc, you'll start to enjoy hitting it more.
Another thought, make sure not to neglect the rest of your body!

[SWAT9806]
07-22-10, 10:26 pm
Yea man, no way, rest of body covered, you're right though, I do put more emphasis on my biceps. Gonna lay low on them for a while then switch things up a bit

Legacy
07-23-10, 12:01 am
I think your overtraining. You posted an earlier thread about how you can't isolate the biceps and I think that you are doing too much and the muscle is just shot, hasn't repaired. Try this for biceps, use a preacher bench and either do machine preachers or dumbbell preachers. On 3 sets of this, resist the negative and have a partner give you the weight on the positive (so you don't pull the weight, you only resist). Then for another exercise do some incline dumbbell curls and see how your biceps react. I know what you mean about having a pump and wanting to keep going, but one thing I realized is that I was doing too much bicep work and it was hindering my gains, and I was doing 12 sets. I have now backed my bicep work down to 6-9 sets and have seen tremendous gains. I have also done the same with triceps and gains have been coming.

Pizzalamp
07-23-10, 10:34 am
;984670']Really strange but the only thing that I've done differently is start Stak. I have tons of energy and just massive aggressiveness, just moving any weight I set out to. But I used to get a good pump, about .5" on my bis after an arm day and recently I feel the pump, but size isn't changing from pre workout size. What's this all about? Over-training the biceps?

maybe u dropped bodyfat and u didnt know
as long as u have the big arm vein then youre fine imo

Deathride
07-23-10, 12:42 pm
For every bicep exercise, immediately superset with a tricep exercise. Curls to extensions.....hammers with close grip bench.....whatever. This gets the maximum bang for your time, stretches the opposing muscle whilst you are resting it and gets the job done nice and quickly!

See a very good arm article that I can't find at the moment on here!

Legacy
07-23-10, 6:25 pm
See a very good arm article that I can't find at the moment on here!

You talking about this article deathride

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=272&section=training

100jan
07-24-10, 8:27 am
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=187

Try this for biceps, definitely works!

Deathride
07-26-10, 5:36 pm
You talking about this article deathride

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=272&section=training

That would indeed be it :-D Sorry, I copied them all off here into a Word document ages ago for easy reference and inspiration! Couldn't find the bloody thing! Cheers legacy...

eclipsegsx102
07-26-10, 6:34 pm
deff. over training them. I know it sounds crazy but dont train them directly for about a month. You'll be suprised to see them actyually grow bigger then before in a few weeks ecspecially if you go heavy and hard with chest and back.