PDA

View Full Version : Increase my Push-ups

hedden514
07-23-10, 6:36 pm
What's up guys...I am leaving in 1 1/2 months for Basic training...anyone got any pointers on how to increase my push-ups? Any specific set of exercises anyone can think of that will help me break the 80 rep mark for 2 mins...if I can pump out 80 or more in 2 mins then there is a real good chance that my drill sgts will put in a good word for me to the Ranger Regiment guys

RogueLion
07-23-10, 7:26 pm
Do push-ups every night before you go to bed. Sets of 20, 50, 100. Basically whatever you can do. I personally feel that nothing trains push-ups like doing push-ups. If you are going into basic training you must be in shape, so doing sets of 20 should be easy and just work your way up using strict perfect form.

blaine
07-23-10, 7:39 pm
do two count push ups and sound out loud when you get to the up and down positions. this way you hold the position rather than the continuous motion. also in basic training your going to be doing on your drill instructors count and they will make you hold positions. dips and pull ups help, just focus on doing the push up and stretch. this helped me and when i pt test i drop over 100 in a minute

hedden514
07-23-10, 9:33 pm
Thank ya sirs...I appreciate the advice...I'm already doing 4 sets of 25 on Mon, Wed, and Fri with my whole body circuit training...but I will definately just start doing a few more sets at night before going to bed

BryanSmash!
07-23-10, 11:02 pm
I dont know if you need any help in the other areas for the APFT, but if youre looking to hit a 300 heres a good article:
http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/armypft.htm

Being tactically and technically proficient is also very important for Ranger school, so make sure you pay extra attention to detail in Basic and AIT. A good PT score will only get you so far in army life. Good luck.

Legacy
07-24-10, 12:35 am
Practice what you gotta do. Set up a push up routine and work on your muscular endurance, muscular strength really has no play for your goals. Just work at it and test yourself every 3 weeks and see where your at.

boyer77
07-24-10, 2:23 am
What's up guys...I am leaving in 1 1/2 months for Basic training...anyone got any pointers on how to increase my push-ups? Any specific set of exercises anyone can think of that will help me break the 80 rep mark for 2 mins...if I can pump out 80 or more in 2 mins then there is a real good chance that my drill sgts will put in a good word for me to the Ranger Regiment guys

Just get lippy in basic... you will be pushing all day long! LOL I was a Marine and it worked for me! Seriously though, hit incline BB or DB with light weight for 20 reps and do a set of push-ups. Then hit decline using the same regiment and do a set of push-ups. Do your push-ups to failure and repeat for 4 full sets. It takes time to build bro. By the time you leave you will be a strong mofo! Good luck man, I am assuming you are joining the army of one?! Keep us informed once you are in the fleet.

McDixon23
07-26-10, 12:18 am
Hadden whats your MOS? And where are you going to basic?

I just got back from Ft knox.

If I could practice push ups again before I left what I would do is practice endurance push ups.

http://www.baseops.net/basictraining/pushups.html

hedden514
07-26-10, 8:58 am
Infantry and I will be training in my home town, Ft. Benning Ga

adidas
07-26-10, 9:05 am
http://hundredpushups.com/why.html

also do wt'd push-ups...

and alternate style push ups...I.e. split level, staggered, wide, standard, narrow/close, finger tip, knuckle, 3 point, hand stand, elevated, burpees...ect...

and time yourself for as many pushups as you can get for differnt time periods...30 seconds, 45 seconds, 1 minute for example.

McDixon23
07-26-10, 6:32 pm
Infantry and I will be training in my home town, Ft. Benning Ga

I was infantry before medic. You'll have tons of fun haha.

hedden514
07-28-10, 12:38 am
Yeah, I am a cop now in Columbus, Ga (right here at Ft. Benning) and it is fun...I love mashing the gas behind some shitbag running, jumping out of the car, and running his little punk ass down...I have caught every one of them that have ran from me...but I want something more and I want to be part of something bigger, that's why I want to be a Ranger, so I know I have to work my 2 mile down and get at LEAST 80 push-ups in 2 mins...I appreciate the help guys and I will definately keep ya'll updated

Bayne
07-28-10, 5:07 pm
Hedden514, As everyone else has said before pushups baby. Goodluck in all you experience, you'll never forget any of it I promise you. I know it's a little ways down the road, but when you deploy feel free to PM your address so we can send you guys out there stuff. Supplements, beef jerky, the works man. It dosen't matter where you go or what you do, keep your head in the game and you'll always find someway to train.

McDixon23
08-02-10, 6:13 pm
Yeah, I am a cop now in Columbus, Ga (right here at Ft. Benning) and it is fun...I love mashing the gas behind some shitbag running, jumping out of the car, and running his little punk ass down...I have caught every one of them that have ran from me...but I want something more and I want to be part of something bigger, that's why I want to be a Ranger, so I know I have to work my 2 mile down and get at LEAST 80 push-ups in 2 mins...I appreciate the help guys and I will definately keep ya'll updated

Rangers lead the way. PM me if you have anymore questions regarding basic. hooah

Topher
08-03-10, 3:24 pm
You might think this sound stupid, But buy the p90x chest dvd. Shit load of push ups!!!!!

Machine
08-04-10, 11:24 pm
To what end?

What is the purpose of this evolution?

Just asking...

MACHINE