PDA

View Full Version : Dumbbell Pullovers for Chest?

Zeus92
07-26-10, 11:44 am
Hey guys,

I was just wondering who uses dumbbell pullovers for chest on here. I've tried putting them in my chest routine before as a last exercise to try and get a good stretch, but i feel like this hits the lats way more than anything. To me it seems almost identical to a straight-arm lat pulldown but your just using a freeweight. So this seems great for back, but i feel like there are much better exercises to stretch out the chest like cable crossovers and flys. However, i know there are a lot of people who use these as a staple in their chest routine so i figured i'd just get some more opinions on it especially since im new to the game.

Toro
07-26-10, 12:01 pm
If you are not feeling your chest its probably because you are not holding the dumbbell properly. With your hands facing down and your thumbs out, if you put your hands toguether they form a circle, thats where the bar of the dumbbell must go through. The lat variation of the exercise is holding the sides of the weight attached to the dumbbell and i assume you are doing that.

rockyIV
07-26-10, 12:14 pm
Change up your elbow position. I haven't done these in a while but I think to hit chest point your elbows toward your toes and it will hit your pecs more. Your lats will get hit either way.

woody06
07-26-10, 12:41 pm
For chest: stand facing away perpindicular to a flat bench. Sqaut down and lay back putting your upper back on the bench. Drop your hips keeping your feet flat on the ground. Now lower the weight down on the other side of the bench and raise it back to straight above your head.

For back: lay on a decline and pull the weight up untill your arms are straight up.

prowrestler
07-26-10, 3:05 pm
it is a lat exercise. not a chest exercise.

a pullover is the isolation version of a close grip pulldown.

Coltman
07-26-10, 3:14 pm
First place your desired dumbbell at one end of the bench, then lay your upper back across the flat bench so that your head is off it. Grasp the dumbbell with the bar between your thumbs and index fingers. Larry Scott says to extend your legs all the way out in front of you before doing the arcing movement as far back as you can. You'll feel a strong stretch in the pecs and you have to flex them to get the weight back up to the starting position. I'll do this in back and chest sessions - just depends on whether I'm in the mood for it or not.

Legacy
07-26-10, 3:39 pm
Your probably going too heavy

VANDAL340
07-26-10, 4:30 pm
I was doing pullovers with strong belief that this is the best exercise for chest width... I was doing this shit all the time. I was going heavy, definitely with proper technique (look guys above) and... nothing happened! ;)

Then I tried cable crossovers. They hit the chest like nothing else before. So I just stayed with them now. You should do the same (if not crossover, do flyes etc.). If you don't feel something why do this?

Pullovers are beauty, old-school stuff but there is to many things that can go wrong with them when you try hit the chest... so is just better to leave it. My opinion.

If not, if you are sure that this is something that will work for you, Legacy wrote about your problem - to heavy! Lats and triceps work more then chest in this case.

Aggression
07-26-10, 5:07 pm
The main purpose of a DB Pullover was meant to expand the rib cage, giving your chest thicker appearance. I do them every other week in my routine. I've found that lying perpendicular on flat bench is best. I take a dumbbell, get a good stretch all the way back and then bring the dumbbell to eye level and them back down. If I do any further, I feel it more on my lats, so I stick to eye level and then back down. Its a shorter ROM, but I feel it in the chest.

eclipsegsx102
07-26-10, 9:32 pm
Need to keep your elbows almost straight and use your palms to hold the end of the dumbbell for more chest. If you want more lats you have to hold the dumbell as you would with any other normal exercise (around the middle/ handle) and bring it past your eyes. For lats your better off doing them standing up with a high pulley so you can get a good squeeze on em at the end. I do them on chest day at the end almost everytime as i feel it gives em a good stretch and pump if you concentrate on the muscle.

IRON-L
07-27-10, 9:42 am
There's an article here called "Inclined to grow" - beautiful stuff, read that and learn how to build a quality chest.

I doubt that you will build a better chest than your girlfriend with DB pullovers - however, I also do them every odd week, as a mix up.

Hit that incline chest press champ!

scals
07-27-10, 12:09 pm
The main purpose of a DB Pullover was meant to expand the rib cage, giving your chest thicker appearance. I do them every other week in my routine. I've found that lying perpendicular on flat bench is best. I take a dumbbell, get a good stretch all the way back and then bring the dumbbell to eye level and them back down. If I do any further, I feel it more on my lats, so I stick to eye level and then back down. Its a shorter ROM, but I feel it in the chest.

Completely agree. I switch it up from time to time by doing it on a decline bench too. Get a really good stretch.

Sprint
07-28-10, 9:14 am
Just to throw this out there, I feel these & close grip pulldown in my serratus, which is the muscle Im targeting with these exercsies. They give a much wider look to the ribcage, but hitting them could easily feel like it's hitting the lats.
Not wishing to question ability or anything but might just be a lack of body awareness as to not being 100% where you're feeling it.
Or could just be a slight lapse in concentration or mind-muscle connection.

MojoMike36
07-28-10, 3:42 pm
Pullovers give me a sweet pump at the end of chest and back day. Its on the same level of importance to me as bench press or pull ups.