deads---------5/3/1
barbellrows-----5x5
pulldowns------3x12

barbell curls----5x5

military press----5/3/1
all laterals------3x12
barbell shrugs----5x5

How to progress: Each workout add 5 lbs to your lifts

pros and cons please. Even if you think this is the dumbest idea please let me know

MRmichael.hooker
07-26-10, 6:43 pm
I think the 1 part is not a good idea. Doing a 1 rep max every single week? Thats alot for your rotator and back. And you have to remember you won't be able to add 5lbs each week because eventually you'd be doing 1000 bench reps. The principle behind it sounds interesting, and i'd follow your progress because it combines heeeeavy weight and a decent rep scheme in the same workout. Sort of like the FST7 style, but powerlifting background to it. The 1 rep thing still gets my attention, but overall it seems like it would be a good program.

strivin for more
07-26-10, 7:31 pm
this looks similiar to jim wendler's 5/3/1. maybe you should give that a look at?

msktyshha
07-26-10, 8:36 pm
this looks similiar to jim wendler's 5/3/1. maybe you should give that a look at?

yes I already did and also read about 5x5, but both seemed extremely basic to me, I think they are both for pure strength and not so much about size and are very gradual programs. So wanted a little hybrid between them and a little bodybuilding touch to it. Goal is for 5lbs each week, but hey we don't always get what we want, so maybe the outcome will be 5lbs every 2 weeks or three. What else do you guys think about the program?? any contributions guys???

prowrestler
07-26-10, 9:54 pm
I think the 1 part is not a good idea. Doing a 1 rep max every single week? Thats alot for your rotator and back. And you have to remember you won't be able to add 5lbs each week because eventually you'd be doing 1000 bench reps. The principle behind it sounds interesting, and i'd follow your progress because it combines heeeeavy weight and a decent rep scheme in the same workout. Sort of like the FST7 style, but powerlifting background to it. The 1 rep thing still gets my attention, but overall it seems like it would be a good program.

i have a feeling he ment the bench squat dead and military press are done following 5/3/1's programming. meaning 1 week is 3x5, then 3x3 then 5,3,1. all done following %s.

prowrestler
07-26-10, 9:56 pm
yes I already did and also read about 5x5, but both seemed extremely basic to me, I think they are both for pure strength and not so much about size and are very gradual programs. So wanted a little hybrid between them and a little bodybuilding touch to it. Goal is for 5lbs each week, but hey we don't always get what we want, so maybe the outcome will be 5lbs every 2 weeks or three. What else do you guys think about the program?? any contributions guys???

5lbs each week is simply stupid.

the goal should be once able to complete the prescribed reps, THEN add 5lbs. that may take a workout, or it may take 5. you never know.

other wise i like it.

msktyshha
07-26-10, 10:07 pm
5lbs each week is simply stupid.

the goal should be once able to complete the prescribed reps, THEN add 5lbs. that may take a workout, or it may take 5. you never know.

other wise i like it.

yessss prowrestler just the type of person I wanted a reply of....yes that's what I meant it may take a week or two week or more to get the prescribed reps and add 5 lbs. Now I did read more into the 531 program and the percentage's to use, but what about the 5x5 what percentages do you use there???? please help

prowrestler
07-26-10, 11:44 pm
yessss prowrestler just the type of person I wanted a reply of....yes that's what I meant it may take a week or two week or more to get the prescribed reps and add 5 lbs. Now I did read more into the 531 program and the percentage's to use, but what about the 5x5 what percentages do you use there???? please help

5x5 in this case should be done the same way as the normal lifts, no %, once able to take a weight for 5x5, add weight to it.

say i get 225 for 5x5. next week ill use 235, say it goes like this : 235x5,5,5,4,3. id stick at 235 untill i get 5x5 across. very simple shit.

and 5/3/1 is very good. key points, play as safe as possible with your training max, and youse the 10% jumps vs 5. jim reccomends it and ive used both, the 10%'s keep me fresher.

C.Coronato
07-27-10, 9:59 am
Try it out and see, id like to see the results it may carry.

msktyshha
07-27-10, 11:46 am
did chest and tris yesterday and legs today following this program. I just had a shoulder surgery 2 months ago and now I feel 100% but really lost a lot of weight and strength. So I started this program to gain strength and build a foundation cause I think I lack that true foundation. I am thinking about starting a journey about this.

msktyshha
07-29-10, 10:01 pm
did chest and tris yesterday and legs today following this program. I just had a shoulder surgery 2 months ago and now I feel 100% but really lost a lot of weight and strength. So I started this program to gain strength and build a foundation cause I think I lack that true foundation. I am thinking about starting a journey about this.

I am keeping a personal log about this routine. Just finished the first week. Yes for the 5/3/1 I did 5x3 for this week with the required percentages, next week for 5/3/1 exercises will be 3x3. Took pictures and kept weight log and also bodyweight and bodyfat. Will post everything after the first cycle

msktyshha
08-05-10, 9:34 am
what's the importance of the deload week in the 5/3/1 program? Is it necessary?

prowrestler
08-05-10, 1:35 pm
what's the importance of the deload week in the 5/3/1 program? Is it necessary?

simple version, u wont progress with out it.

your muscles and cns cant go vor ever at full force, after each cycle, there is a deload week that is easy on the body. this weeks goal is to RECOVER.

ive been know to do the following workouts on deload weeks..

monday = eat pizza
tuesday = watch tv
wednesday = girlfriend
thursday = walk....to mcdonalds
friday = girlfriends and chicken wings
saturday = ufc maybe
sunday = shave?

just use that week to recover, nothing hard. it is 100% needed

BamBam
08-05-10, 6:08 pm
If you want 5 lbs every week.. then do it...

If you feel this works for you... then do it...

BUT... if your form isn't where it needs to be to get stronger... then fix it

If you know your weak points, worry about those more... then fix them

And simply... if you have done your homework and put together your own program... THEN DO IT!!!

The greatest lifters in the world follow their own programs... not one that someone has scribbled down for them... Let's put it this way... nobody knows who Joe Blow is at your local gym who can bench 405 for one with 3 spotters helping... but everyone knows who Brian Siders is (if you don't... YOUTUBE).

IN IRON,
BB-

msktyshha
08-05-10, 6:51 pm
I am really going to stick to this program cause I feel like it'll work for me for some reason. I looked more into 5/3/1 and it suggests that for the deload week for each set you take around 40%-60% of your 1rm and do it for 5 reps, so I get the point prowrestler made that the deload week is actually for complete recovery. i am starting to love this program even more now a complete week off after 3 weeks yayyy

BamBam
08-05-10, 7:09 pm
I am really going to stick to this program cause I feel like it'll work for me for some reason. I looked more into 5/3/1 and it suggests that for the deload week for each set you take around 40%-60% of your 1rm and do it for 5 reps, so I get the point prowrestler made that the deload week is actually for complete recovery. i am starting to love this program even more now a complete week off after 3 weeks yayyy

I wouldn't jump into a deload after just 3 weeks...

msktyshha
08-05-10, 7:12 pm
I wouldn't jump into a deload after just 3 weeks...

what would be the reason behind that??

msktyshha
08-05-10, 7:13 pm
or should I do a deload after I stall??

BamBam
08-05-10, 7:35 pm
what would be the reason behind that??

Well, for one, if you are just not trying this program, then it will take at least 3 to 4 weeks to respond fully if it is working for you... but in reality, you have to go a few weeks of heavy training to truly overload the CNS.. especially if you are used to training heavy or regularly. I do 3, 3 week waves of speed and dynamic work, specific exercises, and basically the same accesory work for 4-8 weeks then change. Then, take a deload week. That is a 10 week training cycle. Clean cut. Then you do the same thing again, but now your strength levels have been tested, new PR's should have been hit, and your mental focus and capacity for heavier grueling training is that much better. Plus, if you ever want to step on to a platform (if u havent already) then 10 weeks is about the avg time guys put into a specific training regime (usually an 11th week is needed for complete rest and NO WORK).

I do like the deload after you stall principle, because if you are always positively responding, then yeah, keep going... don't stop the machine from working if everything is going good... only fix whats broken when it breaks. Plus, I have a somewhat insane mentality.. so I don't deload until I have a completely shitty week.

msktyshha
08-19-10, 12:24 am
For this month I am fasting throughout the day, so have to train at night around 10:00pm since I can only eat after sunset. I am still having 5 meals in a 24 hour period. Supplement i am on are sportspharma Multi-V, sportspharma aminomax, animalflex, and just started animal pm which is really helping out with soreness. For this month I have simplified my program even more. It goes like this:

Monday----chest, delts, tris
bench press-----5/3/1
incline---------5x5
military press----5/3/1
closegrip-------5/3/1
dumbell extension---5x5

Tuesday-legs
squat----------5/3/1
leg presses------5x5

Thursday----Back, Traps and Bis
Deadlift---------5/3/1
barbellrows-----5x5
barbell shrugs----5x5
barbell curls----5x5

Note: All lifts done 5/3/1 style are done as a week cycle using percentages. 1st week 5x3, 2nd week 3x3, 3rd week 5/3/1.

I am still getting good results from it and my strength is fairly increasing. I am successfully performing my prescribed reps for each set, and when I fall short of my prescribed reps in a set, I use the rest-pause method.

msktyshha
09-02-10, 12:39 am
I am doing leg presses 5x5 style. My question is each week how much weight should I add to my leg presses? like for 5x5 barbell shrugs I am adding 5-10 lbs successfully and same with barbell rows.

msktyshha
09-09-10, 12:43 am
now I know the importance of a deload week/week off. I went 2 cycles without any deload week and this week i started cycle 3 and I just couldn't lift shit. I was missing reps and where I did 5 reps with a weight last week I couldn't even complete 3. So After my first day of the week I decided to take this whole week off

violator
09-09-10, 4:06 am
So After my first day of the week I decided to take this whole week off

while deloading is neccesary to keep progressing, it doesnt mean u need to take a WHOLE week off... unless u are severely overtrained...

instead, just go in and do ur regular routine, but change the rep range to 6 reps x 2 sets on all core exercises & work with 50 - 60% of ur training max...keep accesory work light but in normal rep range & 2 sets... this way u still keep the CNS in the groove, but give it optimal chance to recover....itll feel like ur wasting ur time in the gym working with these weights, mainly because a workout that took u an hour will be finished in 15minutes but trust me, its worth it...the following week u will feel ready to bang again...

or u can seperate the deload into 2 days and do all ur upper movements on one day, rest 2 days and then do lowers...try to get some cardio in on 3 other days of the week...this is my strategy & ive found it works for me...because this way the workout still takes a while instead of finishing in 15mins using the traditional strategy outlined above.... but do whatever feels right to YOU....

sample deload;

uppers;

CG bench 2 x 6
standing mil press 2 x 6
BOR 2 x 6
dead 2 x 6
BB curl 2 x 6
DB flye 2 x 6

u get the idea....

msktyshha
09-09-10, 9:34 am
while deloading is neccesary to keep progressing, it doesnt mean u need to take a WHOLE week off... unless u are severely overtrained...

instead, just go in and do ur regular routine, but change the rep range to 6 reps x 2 sets on all core exercises & work with 50 - 60% of ur training max...keep accesory work light but in normal rep range & 2 sets... this way u still keep the CNS in the groove, but give it optimal chance to recover....itll feel like ur wasting ur time in the gym working with these weights, mainly because a workout that took u an hour will be finished in 15minutes but trust me, its worth it...the following week u will feel ready to bang again...

or u can seperate the deload into 2 days and do all ur upper movements on one day, rest 2 days and then do lowers...try to get some cardio in on 3 other days of the week...this is my strategy & ive found it works for me...because this way the workout still takes a while instead of finishing in 15mins using the traditional strategy outlined above.... but do whatever feels right to YOU....

sample deload;

uppers;

CG bench 2 x 6
standing mil press 2 x 6
BOR 2 x 6
dead 2 x 6
BB curl 2 x 6
DB flye 2 x 6

u get the idea....

I understand what you're talking about as I saw this in the 5/3/1 program for the deload week where it states to do 3 sets of 5 reps with 40-60 percent of your max. Now the reason why I am thinking about taking a whole week off is because I thought my CNS may not have recovered since I have been training heavy for the past 6 weeks. I don't know much about the CNS and how to tell if it needs recovery, so can someone help me on that please.