PDA

View Full Version : Foam Rollers

Cru
02-26-07, 1:23 pm
do any of you guys use foam rollers for recovery? my roommate just picked one up and i tried it out last night on my legs, hurt like all hell, but i feel much better this morning. i was wondering if anyone had any tips or routines for this, so i could get the most out my recovery.

speedster00
02-26-07, 1:56 pm
never

jstone28
02-26-07, 3:29 pm
yeah, self myo-fascial release is a great way to speed recovery. i bought one because getting a deep tissue massage cost so damn much.

it hurts like hell when you are doing it, but later you can really feel the difference

if you havent tried it....its all about stretching the fascia for muscle growth

ghost
02-26-07, 3:32 pm
never even heard of em.....i let the pain take over and relish in the feeling.

SDR
02-26-07, 4:29 pm
some may find this isn't a tough guy thing to do, but a foam roller can keep you flexible, iron out any injuries in the waiting and do a whole lot more for you.

eg foam rolling your glutes, quads and hip flexors will allow you to squat alot deeper, hit muscles you havent hit before by doin this and so grow more and get stronger...Who wouldnt want that?

as for exercises, I'll PM you a link, as im not sure im allowed to link another site here.

beleive me, I love feeling the pain from squatting and barbell rowing, but i also like to keep my body feeling strong and mobile on the inside too.

Toni69
02-26-07, 4:30 pm
I have used them and they are great! Actually, I have been meaning to buy one..thanks for reminding me!

invictus1
02-26-07, 4:34 pm
i use one 3 times a day:
when i get up, after my workout, and before i go to bed.
it is going to hurt when you do it after your workout but i thank myself for doing it anyway every morning.
i used to use one just at they gym, but the effects are quick and noticeable.
I now have 3 of different sizes at home.
Highly recommended

Maccabee
02-26-07, 4:40 pm
what is a foam roller?

Jewfro
02-26-07, 4:52 pm
My hip flexors are really tight which is messing up my back. Do you think a foam roller would help me stretch them out?

Toni69
02-26-07, 4:59 pm
My hip flexors are really tight which is messing up my back. Do you think a foam roller would help me stretch them out?

go to this link...looks pretty good with detailed instructions on how to use the foam roller for different areas.

http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/FoamRoller.pdf

Jewfro
02-26-07, 5:10 pm
wow thats great, im gonna have to get one, thanks toni.

Jewfro
02-26-07, 5:17 pm
anyone know where to get them for a good price?

Cru
02-26-07, 9:20 pm
thanks for the info guys. i'm definitely looking forward to seeing the results, esp. for the squats.

BigTruck
02-27-07, 2:08 am
"i let the pain take over and relish..."

thats about as hard-core as they come! the pain is good -- but only to a point. you know how after yo have a good day of legs and when you get behind the wheel and you can't push down the pedals? sure thats funny at first -- but it eventually becomes a bother.

i'm game for a roller --- anything to make it go away!

king1
01-17-08, 9:18 am
Can anyone here help me figure out how to use these? Ive only done them for my lower back, and its super painful (almost in a good way). My gym has a bunch of them so id like to utilize them.

ghost
01-17-08, 9:20 am
Can anyone here help me figure out how to use these? Ive only done them for my lower back, and its super painful (almost in a good way). My gym has a bunch of them so id like to utilize them.

What are they for?

brandonA
01-17-08, 9:37 am
They are for myofacia stretching of the mucles...they are awesome...go to you tube, look thru here...http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=smittydiesel

Smitty has some good vids in there using them....

You basicly just lay on them, placing them under the muscle that you are working on, and use your hands to move your body over the top of it...the quads hurt the worse...lol...

-B

krazyassmexican
01-17-08, 9:39 am
they are cool
i like how they feel on my lowerback
but i am a dummie
i cant really use them well

McFly
01-17-08, 9:45 am
when i had physcial therapy for my torn IT band i had to use one....let me just say it hurt rolling on that SOB.

naturalguy
01-17-08, 11:04 am
when i had physcial therapy for my torn IT band i had to use one....let me just say it hurt rolling on that SOB.

It's killer on the IT band but it works.

Using the foam roller is like getting a deep tissue massage.

McFly
01-17-08, 11:07 am
It's killer on the IT band but it works.

Using the foam roller is like getting a deep tissue massage.

LMAO No it's like a grown man in the middle of the PT office almost in tears!!!! or maybe i'm just a big sissy!!! I'm getting some deep tissue work done tomorrow, I'll have a good comparasion then LOL

Ajack
01-19-08, 4:06 pm
I just had a gift card left over from christmas so I went a purchase me a foam roller. This thing is intense!

Quick questrion though. I've got all the different moves down. But how long for each one? Like 1 minute or what?

Toni69
01-19-08, 4:11 pm
another great idea is using a tennis ball. I used it when my back was really bad and you slowly roll on it and move around slowly to target whatever area you need massaged. It really gets in some smaller areas that are knotted up and tense...just hold your balance a bit but it works.

violator
10-15-09, 2:58 am
Anyone out there use this technique?
Ive been reading about the benefits of it, it sounds great!
But, for the life of me, i cant understand how to foam roll anything but ones legs...how the hell do you foam roll your back or arms for instance?
Id appreciate any methods from anyone using this technique...thanks

J A Y
10-15-09, 7:27 am
check this out bro...

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/feel_better_for_10_bucks

shizz702
10-15-09, 8:00 am
It basically mimics a deep tissue massage. Great to do pre or post workout and will really help loosen you up, yield better posture, and will rid of adhesions, and aid in soreness, and boost your recovery.

Check this out here: http://stronglifts.com/soft-tissue-work-release-your-pain/

ironshaolin
10-15-09, 8:41 am
Whats up, violator.

My old gym used to have some foam rollers, I'd use them either before or after a workout. Now my gym has none, when I get some extra cash I might buy one.

for your back, I know you can lay sideways on it, with the bottom arm stretched out over your head, and just slowly roll it back and forth on your lats. You're supposed to roll slowly, then when you get to a spot where it hurts a bit more than usual, you stay there until it loosens up. I'm not sure about the arms.

naturalguy
10-15-09, 9:05 am
I have one at home and have used it many times, it definitely helps loosen up trigger points, it ain't easy or comfortable to use but it gets the job done.

violator
10-15-09, 9:52 am
check this out bro...

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/feel_better_for_10_bucks

Just what i was looking for...thanks a million JAY....

It basically mimics a deep tissue massage. Great to do pre or post workout and will really help loosen you up, yield better posture, and will rid of adhesions, and aid in soreness, and boost your recovery.

Check this out here: http://stronglifts.com/soft-tissue-work-release-your-pain/

Also good...thanks shizz...ur the shizz...

Whats up, violator.

My old gym used to have some foam rollers, I'd use them either before or after a workout. Now my gym has none, when I get some extra cash I might buy one.

for your back, I know you can lay sideways on it, with the bottom arm stretched out over your head, and just slowly roll it back and forth on your lats. You're supposed to roll slowly, then when you get to a spot where it hurts a bit more than usual, you stay there until it loosens up. I'm not sure about the arms.

Yo shaolin!...yeah, im beginning to understand it now..haha...big ups!

I have one at home and have used it many times, it definitely helps loosen up trigger points, it ain't easy or comfortable to use but it gets the job done.

where did u buy it from?, a home depot or something?

naturalguy
10-15-09, 10:20 am
where did u buy it from?, a home depot or something?

I bought it off of a website, I don't recall which one

prowrestler
10-15-09, 11:54 am
i bought mine at a fitness/ hockey shop. 12 bucks. easy

its a great tool. i leave it in my basement and use it alot on my back. sometimes when i do my lower back, it makes me wanna puke lol

Cstlfx
10-15-09, 12:44 pm
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=143

Here's all the recovery tools EFS offers. Foam rollers are great, you can buy different sizes, strengths, and thicknesses.

violator
10-15-09, 3:49 pm
on a side note, i continue to realise my searching skillz really suck...haha
apologies to the watchmen for the xtra work, u guys r awesome!

t_mh
10-15-09, 4:09 pm
My gym has a bunch but I rarely use them. I was just reading that tmuscle article and another one or two about foam rolling the other day. An interesting point is that it's not really about the soreness. Foam rolling can repair tissue that's damaged and knotted.

BigChrisF
10-15-09, 5:12 pm
When getting foam rollers, the harder or more dense the roller is the more pressure you get and the longer the roller lasts. Along those lines I walked by a construction site and picked up a 3ft section of 4" pvc pipe. It hurts, but works great.

theharjmann
10-15-09, 7:12 pm
I have used them and they are great! Actually, I have been meaning to buy one..thanks for reminding me!

i use these in my pilates classes. i do pilates once a week.

has helped me VERY much.

foam tubes are the way to go....if you get trained to use them correctly that is!

violator
10-16-09, 2:02 am
When getting foam rollers, the harder or more dense the roller is the more pressure you get and the longer the roller lasts. Along those lines I walked by a construction site and picked up a 3ft section of 4" pvc pipe. It hurts, but works great.

thats hardcore!...nice...

Cstlfx
10-16-09, 2:32 am
thats hardcore!...nice...

There's something similar to that called The Stick. The website is thestick.com

I've had one for a couple years now. When you're sore, its painful, but it has sped up my recovery immensely. Its the same as a foam roller or BigChris' pvc pipe.

violator
10-16-09, 6:04 am
i haveta say, ive got a great idea how this technique works now & how to apply it, when i started looking into it a day or two ago i thought a foam roller was like a kitchen rolling pin covered in foam!...haha...although, that would sorta work....

u know, this is why animalpak rocks!, thanks for all the help, searches & links from all in this thread...ur all the reason why this board is #1....big ups!

Binney08
03-26-10, 11:29 am
so many to choose from.... short long, thick, skinny, super hard, less hard....
want to stretch out and rehab muscles and get blood flowing again.does it really matter which i get?

HIGA MONSTER
03-26-10, 11:34 am
so many to choose from.... short long, thick, skinny, super hard, less hard....
want to stretch out and rehab muscles and get blood flowing again.does it really matter which i get?

Buy one. Best thing to have with recovery.

Personally, I like the long one that is really dense, but I'm a muscular guy.
That same dense one isn't comfortable for some of my female clients.

I bought a 3 foot long one from Power Systems with a dense, hard foam.
You can also make one by getting a 4" or 5" diameter PVC pipe and wrap it with foam.

I first used the PVC version when I worked out at Oregon State University one year, and the thing STRIPPED away any myofascial adhesions I had.

Definitely a great tool to have and doesn't cost much.
HIGA MONSTER

BigDY
03-26-10, 11:59 am
Absolutely Streching out is the best way to get back into the gym it will allow you muscles to become used to the the tension and help out with injuries. Jump Stretch is the way to go it was invented in my home town and it is used all over the world now by pro athletic teams and gym junkies all over. www.jumpstretch.com/osc and http://www.flexbandonline.com/about.htm

deanna7272
03-26-10, 12:14 pm
Absolutely Streching out is the best way to get back into the gym it will allow you muscles to become used to the the tension and help out with injuries. Jump Stretch is the way to go it was invented in my home town and it is used all over the world now by pro athletic teams and gym junkies all over. www.jumpstretch.com/osc and http://www.flexbandonline.com/about.htm

Dick Hartsell is the man...lol I saw him do a couple demonstrations YEARS ago and I am still impressed....

intoodeep25
05-26-10, 12:20 am
well, after receiving mine in the mail today i planned on using it before my pm and bed. i had my routine laid out, thought i knew what i was getting into. sadly, i was wrong. this bad boy is ALOT more awkard and difficult to use than i had anticipated. i found myself sweaty and frustrated in a matter of seconds lol. anybody experience anything similar their first time with a foam roller? im just hoping things go a little smoother from here on out lol

Legacy
05-26-10, 12:33 am
You just gotta get use to it bro. Once you learn to use it, its easy. If it is hurting real bad in the beginning your doing it right. Especially on the quads, but has tremendous benefits.

intoodeep25
05-26-10, 12:42 am
bro my IT band and piriformis were so bad i was moaning hahaha. tried to do a roll from sternum to lower bicep but felt so odd and couldnt do it at all i gave that one up lol. its just awkward holding my body weight up and rolling on this thing. back was crazy too, upper was ok but once i got to my lower it was so intense i was scared i was gonna hurt myself lol. oh well i guess i just gotta play around with it

_Trainlikeafreak
11-26-10, 9:59 pm
Hey guys figured I'd let you all know how much better my body feels after I use the foam roller. I started using it in my home gym a week before I left for school then never did in school because the school gym didn't have them. I've been using the foam roller for the 5 days I've been back for Thanksgiving and I gotta say my knee, left hip flexor (which mentally bothers me to the point where I think I have a hernia), legs, and all around whatever body part I roll on feels 10x better. They feel just more rejuvenated and more flexible. If your gym has them I would strongly recommend everyone to take advantage of them. I've heard foam rollers been called a "poor man's massage" but I think it is better than a massage.

intoodeep25
11-26-10, 10:02 pm
its not better than a massage lol, a deep tissue massage works wonders, but it is an awesome tool to have. love mine, makes a big difference

mritter3
11-27-10, 11:16 pm
After a rough workout my foam roller is my saving grace...Def would recommend one if u don't already got one

MRmichael.hooker
05-19-11, 8:22 am
If you haven't tried this, go do it now. There are tons of places online to buy a foam roller from (seems like perform better usually has cheapest prices). Usually the black ones are the better performance ones. There are all kinds of ways to foam roll. It really relaxes and loosens up the muscles, helps relieve pain, muscle soreness, tightness. I'm no professional on the matter, but I do know that it's helped my body feel tremendously better from the hard pounding it gets with from the iron (no hooker jokes please lol). I've seen a lot more of guys in here talking about using them, and that is great. I think almost every personally trained client at my gym here is foam rolling now, as well as every trainer. Heres a list of different ways to use it: http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/FoamRoller.pdf.

If you haven't tried it, you really need to start trying it out. You can do it everyday, even multiple times a day. Especially if you don't really have the dough to throw into deep tissue work, this is great everyday help.

mritter3
05-19-11, 8:26 am
Foam rolling has saved my back and made my recovery time much easier....i use it a few times a day to get the kinks out and i have got to say i got my wife using it and she is also a huge fan...the list could go on and on of how much i like the foam roller but until you try it for yourself you wont know

naturalguy
05-19-11, 8:29 am
I use a foam roller all the time. Great tool in your toolbox

smoothballer
05-19-11, 8:58 am
I use a foam roller before almost any workout and a lot of times at night before I got to bed to try and to keep loose. The Foam Roller is a miracle worker!!!!!

Tiny1102
05-19-11, 3:10 pm
Yes I use it, but mainly to loosen me up before I bench

do any of you guys use foam rollers for recovery? my roommate just picked one up and i tried it out last night on my legs, hurt like all hell, but i feel much better this morning. i was wondering if anyone had any tips or routines for this, so i could get the most out my recovery.

SuperFlexSteve
05-19-11, 6:43 pm
I'm gonna have to pick one of these up.. the two slabs of meat in my lower back need a good massage about 3 times a week and it's hard to keep girls around with good enough hands to do it for free.

Deathride
05-19-11, 6:59 pm
I just got my foam roller. I cannot thank it enough......have had two good rolls today, hit a squat PR and feel so much better. Hurts like a BITCH doing it, but you are so much looser following it! Recommend it to all!

SuperFlexSteve
05-19-11, 9:59 pm
Found one in the corner of the gym this evening and rolled my back on it for about 10minutes. Don't know if I had proper technique but it definitely loosened things up back there. Gonna buy one tonight lol.

SailinScotty
05-19-11, 10:06 pm
Anyone try the Rumble Roller. Bought one when I was shopping for a foam roller. It has little knob things that stick out to get deeper. It hurts at times during but feel a lot better later.

Tiny1102
05-19-11, 11:16 pm
I paid $50.00 for mine and I love it.

GUNS
05-19-11, 11:42 pm
I use it on just about everything.

IronWilson
05-20-11, 12:34 am
Anyone try the Rumble Roller. Bought one when I was shopping for a foam roller. It has little knob things that stick out to get deeper. It hurts at times during but feel a lot better later.

I own one. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made in my life. No regular foam roller will do now. It hits spots that you can't hit with anything else.

Tiny1102
05-20-11, 4:26 pm
Yes, if you know what you are doing, then it works great.

I own one. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made in my life. No regular foam roller will do now. It hits spots that you can't hit with anything else.

Tiny1102
05-20-11, 4:27 pm
I saw that in the cage this year. That was just wrong. lol..Over 70 and doing those kind of stretches.

Dick Hartsell is the man...lol I saw him do a couple demonstrations YEARS ago and I am still impressed....

Back To Basics
05-21-11, 8:45 pm
Tiny have you checked out the "Rumble Roller" from EliteFTS?

It's around 60 and it looks like one hell of a roller, it would get so deep in your muscles too.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=143&pid=3754

SailinScotty
05-21-11, 10:12 pm
Tiny have you checked out the "Rumble Roller" from EliteFTS?

It's around 60 and it looks like one hell of a roller, it would get so deep in your muscles too.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=143&pid=3754

I bought one a few months ago and must say it is much better then a regular foam roller. Defiantly gets deeper in there.

Back To Basics
05-21-11, 11:17 pm
I bought one a few months ago and must say it is much better then a regular foam roller. Defiantly gets deeper in there.

I'm very keen on getting one, does it hurt like hell? Even more than regular rollers haha

SailinScotty
05-21-11, 11:46 pm
I'm very keen on getting one, does it hurt like hell? Even more than regular rollers haha

Yes it hurts more but you feel better. On a foam roller I could go for 30+secs consistently. The rumble I sometimes barely make it to 20secs. I got mine off Amazon.com so you might want to shop around. They also seems like they'll last longer.

Back To Basics
05-22-11, 12:15 am
Yes it hurts more but you feel better. On a foam roller I could go for 30+secs consistently. The rumble I sometimes barely make it to 20secs. I got mine off Amazon.com so you might want to shop around. They also seems like they'll last longer.

Thanks man, that sounds Brutal - What's it like rolling on your ITB, the regular roller brings tears to my eyes after leg day. Thanks again for the link, I live in Australia so Amazon is a good source too.

SailinScotty
05-22-11, 12:55 am
Thanks man, that sounds Brutal - What's it like rolling on your ITB, the regular roller brings tears to my eyes after leg day. Thanks again for the link, I live in Australia so Amazon is a good source too.

This would be worse during then probably feel better later. It also helps if you just lay on one spot that is tight for a few extra seconds instead of constant rolling.

IronWilson
05-22-11, 2:38 pm

If you are on the fence about getting one, take the leap and get it. It is a little pricey, but look at it this way: It is less expensive than a session with a massage therapist or chiropractor. The Rumble Roller is honestly like getting a sports massage every day. The Rumble Roller, along with other recovery techniques have helped heal all of my injuries. I cannot give this product a high enough rating. I think it is one of the best products in physical therapy.