PDA

View Full Version : The Road to the PRO/AM 2010

Big D
08-03-10, 11:43 am
whats going on fellas??
im new here but when youre reading this youre going to be follow me during the last 3 weeks as i finish up my prep for the 2010 PowerStation PRO/AM in Cinncinatti Ohio.

the pro/am is one of the biggest meets of the year and hopefully my performance this year will make up for the debacle that happend at last years meet. (bombed out)

ill talk about my training... my diet.. and my cardio (or lack there of.)

if anyone has ANY questions about ANYTHING.. shoot.

until next time
Stay BIG my friends

Universal Rep
08-03-10, 11:44 am
First.

Mr. Dead
08-03-10, 11:45 am
2nd...

Universal Rep
08-03-10, 11:46 am
whats going on fellas??
im new here but when youre reading this youre going to be follow me during the last 3 weeks as i finish up my prep for the 2010 PowerStation PRO/AM in Cinncinatti Ohio.

the pro/am is one of the biggest meets of the year and hopefully my performance this year will make up for the debacle that happend at last years meet. (bombed out)

ill talk about my training... my diet.. and my cardio (or lack there of.)

until next time
Stay BIG my friends

What are ya lookin' to accomplish at the PRO/AM brother?

Aggression
08-03-10, 11:51 am
Welcome brother. Glad to have ya on board.

What are ya lookin' to accomplish at the PRO/AM brother?

Yeah, what's the numbers looking like? Any idea on openers?

Big D
08-03-10, 11:51 am
im looking to squat somewhere around 950
looking to bench somewhere around 750
and pull somewhere around 775

Universal Repstress
08-03-10, 11:52 am
Welcome Big D. Looking forward to some good reads on this thread.

Universal Rep
08-03-10, 11:58 am
im looking to squat somewhere around 950
looking to bench somewhere around 750
and pull somewhere around 775

Some big numbers there... I reckon that's what, 2475?

Big D
08-03-10, 12:07 pm
yess it is... could be a huge day if everything goes the way its planned

Universal Rep
08-03-10, 12:08 pm
yess it is... could be a huge day if everything goes the way its planned

Good luck brother... Lookin' forward to reading about your training, diet and supplement prep for that big day here.

Big D
08-03-10, 12:10 pm
ill be on here all the time so if anyone has any questions--- ask em

Universal Rep
08-03-10, 12:11 pm
ill be on here all the time so if anyone has any questions--- ask em

Good deal.

G Diesel
08-03-10, 12:31 pm
Big D is a badass lifter and a good dude. Had the pleasure to meet him and watch him do his thing at The Cage last year.

Good to have him in the mix as part of the Animal crew.

Welcome to the family bro.

Peace, G

J-Dawg
08-03-10, 12:32 pm
Great to have you here Big D. Enjoyed seeing you lift at the Arnold. Looking forward to checking out your training up to the PRO/AM 2010.

Big D
08-03-10, 12:44 pm
G and J thanks alot.. its great to finally be a part of the family.
you guys going to be at Skibas on saturday??

Mr. Dead
08-03-10, 12:45 pm

until next time
Stay BIG my friends

You do realize, that a statement like that is like opening "Pandora's Box", with me around... *LOL*

Universal Rep
08-03-10, 12:47 pm

Headcount for the ABC at Skiba's...

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?p=989617#post989617

G Diesel
08-03-10, 12:49 pm

You know I'll be there cousin. Skiba and Tek are like my uncle and brother. This will be my third ABC at Skiba's and it gets better every time.

Peace, G

Big D
08-03-10, 12:52 pm
haha bring it on mr. dead.

ill be at skibs. im taking my opener squat and deadlift Saturday.

machineman
08-03-10, 12:53 pm
will be watching this thread too! as a newb to powerlifting, I will have lots of questions.

Universal Rep
08-03-10, 12:53 pm
haha bring it on mr. dead.

Bad move.

Hahahahaha....

Big D
08-03-10, 12:55 pm
sitting at work... i got nothing but TIME.
ask away

machineman
08-03-10, 12:58 pm
sitting at work... i got nothing but TIME.
ask away

in time, brother! I am looking down the barrel of a 30+ hour workday(s). Hope the food lasts that long!!

Big D
08-03-10, 12:59 pm
i hope so too... my day isnt half that long but im working on meal 4 already

Universal Rep
08-03-10, 1:03 pm
i hope so too... my day isnt half that long but im working on meal 4 already

What's on tap for meal #4?

C.Coronato
08-03-10, 1:16 pm
Got the pleasure to see you at the Cage as well, your a freak my man. Your going to do well thats for sure. What organization is the Pro/Am? And is it Raw/suited?

Big D
08-03-10, 1:21 pm
well since today is an off day/low cal day, meal 4 is......... 4 rice cakes with all natural peanut butter and 4oz. of grilled chicken--- yum.

thank you C. the Pro/am is run by Westside and the SPF. its a suited federation but im sure people can lift raw if theyd like.

Big D
08-03-10, 1:52 pm
well lets get this bad boy started..

yesterday was SUPPOSE to be a shirted bench day... ill explain why i say suppose...
ive been having some problems touching in my shirt right around a 1board/ half board so i decided to just keep hammering away.. this is what i did

raw
barx20
135x10
245x5
335x3
445x1
shirt on
535 x 3 (no touch)
585 x 0 ------- Right arm of the shirt EXPLODED on me. ive never had this happen before and shit was it scary. luckily i had my team there and they grabbed the bar and im okay but wow.... HOWEVER im 3 weeks out and have to learn a new shirt.. should be interesting.

was already at the gym so had to get some work in..
4 board
245x6
335x6
add double mini bands
385x3
385x3
385x3
mini bands off
435x5

*note- doubled mini bands at the top=== SUCK.

low rows 4x12
face pulls 4x15
band pushdowns 3x20
hamer curls 3x12
abs.

my mind is messin with me with my shirts. i have a shirt being shipped to me so i will have to get back into it hopefully tomorw and learn the grove.

i might have to take a token first bench if squats go well to stay in the meet and then go from there. but hey ya never know.

until next time-
stay BIG my friends

BIG BEN
08-03-10, 2:01 pm
Hey D I was just curious if you were a single or double ply lifter? and sorry to hear about the shirt I've seen that happen before and it's a freaky experience

Big D
08-03-10, 2:02 pm
double ply.
yea i heard it rip a little and then POP.

BIG BEN
08-03-10, 2:15 pm
double ply.
yea i heard it rip a little and then POP.

I blew out my first Rage-x the same way, hope that you can get the new shirt learned before the pro. I'm sure you got it though bro

Big D
08-03-10, 2:19 pm
its definitely not the ideal situation.. but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Universal Rep
08-03-10, 3:01 pm
my mind is messin with me with my shirts. i have a shirt being shipped to me so i will have to get back into it hopefully tomorw and learn the grove.

i might have to take a token first bench if squats go well to stay in the meet and then go from there. but hey ya never know.

For fellas who aren't that familiar with powerliftin', can you run through this process, gettin' a shirt, etc?

Big D
08-03-10, 3:14 pm
well usually when someone orders a shirt they get it tailored exactly to their body measurements. arm size, shoulder girth and chest measurement. then whichever company they order from makes the shirt either specifically for them or they can buy a typical shirt that someone of their measurement would wear.

in my case-- with time being against me-- i have to get into whatever shirt i can get my hands on and learn it ASAP. and hopefully after this meet a Gear company will be fond of me and give me a shirt of my own that actually fits.

in most cases ordering a shirt and learning a shirt is a long process-- usually months-- in my case im not ordering a shirt, but i am going to have to learn a brand new shirt in 2 weeks.

should be fun.

machineman
08-03-10, 3:19 pm
I have a question for you. At what point would you suggest someone using knee wraps? I have had 2 surgeries on my right knee. I am fine so far but would like to know you opinion. Actually, when would you suggest someone start using pl gear period?

Universal Rep
08-03-10, 3:19 pm
well usually when someone orders a shirt they get it tailored exactly to their body measurements. arm size, shoulder girth and chest measurement. then whichever company they order from makes the shirt either specifically for them or they can buy a typical shirt that someone of their measurement would wear.

in my case-- with time being against me-- i have to get into whatever shirt i can get my hands on and learn it ASAP. and hopefully after this meet a Gear company will be fond of me and give me a shirt of my own that actually fits.

in most cases ordering a shirt and learning a shirt is a long process-- usually months-- in my case im not ordering a shirt, but i am going to have to learn a brand new shirt in 2 weeks.

should be fun.

Ain't that easy gettin' into a shirt either... Good luck with your brother.

Big D
08-03-10, 3:35 pm
Machine- that question can have 2 answers and most people wiill have different opinions.. but i reallly dont care about what other people have to say. in MY opinion a person should use knee wraps when they get up around 85% of their 1RM.. BUT they shouldnt use knee wraps as a crutch.

if a person is training hard and busting their ass and they need warps to take a set with 700lbs ass to grass then shit yea they need wraps, but if someone is lazy and dosent want to do the work and that same person throws the wraps on at 405 then no- they need to get slapped.

HOWEVER as far as knee PROTECTION i would suggest using knee sleeves if youve had surgeries in the past. and then, as i said, when you get up around a 80-90% of your max then throw a lose wrap on, if nothing else than to ease your head and be fully tuned into your set.

as far as using gear-- thats a hard question to answer, and there isnt really a set rule of thumb for when a person should get into gear.
i lifted for 5 years before i ever touched gear, but others wait a lot longer or a lot less. i think that before a person should put gear on they should have their form down to a science. they should be a technician-- and thats not saying im a techinician either-- but a person should be able to handle the heavier weights that they are going to be using in gear.

Rep-- thats for damn sure. it usually takes me about 10 minutes to fully get my shirt on and 2-3 ppl helping out.

Universal Rep
08-03-10, 3:47 pm
Rep-- thats for damn sure. it usually takes me about 10 minutes to fully get my shirt on and 2-3 ppl helping out.

Gettin' in the shirt is half the battle when it comes to the big lift, haha.

Big D
08-03-10, 3:53 pm
for me... the set up and touching is actually the hardest part for me. the press and lockout is like second nature.

machineman
08-03-10, 4:23 pm
thanks for the response, D. So far, I have been able to train injury free. It seems the heavier I my squat gets, the better my knee feels.

Maccabee
08-03-10, 4:25 pm
well since today is an off day/low cal day, meal 4 is......... 4 rice cakes with all natural peanut butter and 4oz. of grilled chicken--- yum.

thank you C. the Pro/am is run by Westside and the SPF. its a suited federation but im sure people can lift raw if theyd like.

4 oz only? Can you please explain why so little?

I have never in my life so far seen a powerlifter eat 4 oz chicken.

I see your strong as hell, and I am lost as to why its so little.

Big D
08-03-10, 4:34 pm
today is my low calorie/off day. so i only have 2000 calories today. only 40% of which comes from protein. when you do the math it comes out to being 800 calories from protein whihc is 200 grams of protein today. divide that by 6 meals you get roughly 35g of protein per meal.

4oz of chicken is 28g of protein. BUT when you add the 2 things of string cheese ( i love string cheese) i get another 12g of protein. so TECHNICALLY im over the amount of protein for this meal.

these numbers obviously differ for my more strenuous workout days. and ill explain more as to why my diet is set up this way. but to keep it short, i am trying to maintain my current weight (230-235) while gaining muscle and shedding fat.

Big D
08-03-10, 4:36 pm
machine- most people wont believe me.. but the lower you squat/with good form.. the better your knees and back will feel.

for all you half, quarter and eighth squatters out there... how do your knees feel?

machineman
08-03-10, 5:06 pm
machine- most people wont believe me.. but the lower you squat/with good form.. the better your knees and back will feel.

for all you half, quarter and eighth squatters out there... how do your knees feel?

trust me...after getting my form and depth correct, I will attest to the fact that anything shallower doesn't feel too good!

machineman
08-03-10, 7:13 pm
Okay, another question. Just out of curiosity what supps do you use/recommend?

Big D
08-03-10, 8:35 pm
i have always used Animal Pak.. ya just gotta use it- it should be a staple in anyone's diet.
as far as other supps
i use whey, maltodextrin, bcaas, and glutamine postworkout.
and ZMA, 5htp, glucosamine, glutamine, and vitamin C before bed.

not that much and nothing too crazy. hopefully i can start to dabble into more Animal products.

Maccabee
08-03-10, 9:53 pm
today is my low calorie/off day. so i only have 2000 calories today. only 40% of which comes from protein. when you do the math it comes out to being 800 calories from protein whihc is 200 grams of protein today. divide that by 6 meals you get roughly 35g of protein per meal.

4oz of chicken is 28g of protein. BUT when you add the 2 things of string cheese ( i love string cheese) i get another 12g of protein. so TECHNICALLY im over the amount of protein for this meal.

these numbers obviously differ for my more strenuous workout days. and ill explain more as to why my diet is set up this way. but to keep it short, i am trying to maintain my current weight (230-235) while gaining muscle and shedding fat.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Now I understand. I am looking forward to when you further explain your diet. Peace.

Big Wides
08-03-10, 9:58 pm
I'll be watching bro and looking forward to meeting you on Saturday up at Skibas

machineman
08-03-10, 11:28 pm
thanks for the answers, Big D! It is almost time for me to get out of here! 3 hours of sleep then back at it:) I will come up with more questions tomorrow and post them up!

Powerfreak
08-04-10, 6:11 am
Good luck with your training for this meet, and of course the meet itself. The Pro-am has definitely become THE meet of meets. Kinda reminds me of the WPO back in the day.(Before it went to shit).
I hope that I can get myself back in gear to hit this one next year.

The competition at this meet is incredible.
Again, good luck, and good lifting.

Brian Weston

IRBS
08-04-10, 8:53 am
Good luck big man. Planning to hit the Am day next year at the ProAm and eventually get to that Pro total...only 300 more pounds on my total...LOL

Big D
08-04-10, 9:31 am
thanks everyone for the kind words and the nice welcome. and no problem answering questions.. anything else you want to know just ask.

the pro/am is definitely like the Super Bowl/ World Series of powerlifting so i gotta put on a show haha

Universal Rep
08-04-10, 10:24 am
i have always used Animal Pak.. ya just gotta use it- it should be a staple in anyone's diet.
as far as other supps
i use whey, maltodextrin, bcaas, and glutamine postworkout.
and ZMA, 5htp, glucosamine, glutamine, and vitamin C before bed.

not that much and nothing too crazy. hopefully i can start to dabble into more Animal products.

Between Animal and Universal, you're covered brother. For example...

Whey: Universal Ultra Whey Pro or SportPharma Specialized Protein
Carbs: Universal Carbo Plus or SportPharma CARB Max
BCAA: Universal BCAA 2000 (pills) or BCAA Stack (powder)
Glutamine: Universal Glutamine Powder or Capsules
Glucosamine: Animal Flex
ZMA: Universal ZMA Pro
Vitamin C: Vitamin C Formula or Buffered Vitamin C

I don't think there's a BB company out there that has the breadth of product as Corporate.

Big D
08-04-10, 10:34 am
well than i guess i can stop looking around.. im all set.

J Wong
08-04-10, 11:57 pm
In on this log...good to see more PLers on the forum.

Big D
08-05-10, 12:40 pm
thanks boom

machineman
08-05-10, 2:55 pm
hey Big D.....haven't forgot to ask them questions....just too busy right now! I will be asking more though!!

Big D
08-05-10, 3:50 pm
ill be waiting for them machine

Silverback6
08-05-10, 6:16 pm
Hey man what gear set up you using for the pro am?

Big D
08-05-10, 10:29 pm
squat--ace briefs, small ace suit, metal black knee wraps and lever belt

bench-- 2ply phenom, APT blak/blue wristwraps and leather belt

deadlift-- pro briefs, big ace suit, lever belt.

and of course chucks for all 3 lifts

BIG BEN
08-06-10, 1:18 am
squat--ace briefs, small ace suit, metal black knee wraps and lever belt

bench-- 2ply phenom, APT blak/blue wristwraps and leather belt

deadlift-- pro briefs, big ace suit, lever belt.

and of course chucks for all 3 lifts

haha the chucks are always a must

Big D
08-06-10, 10:56 am
Big you know they are.. and wheni squat a grand im gunna go out and buy a pair of bright pink ones hahah.

Big D
08-06-10, 11:04 am
so i finally got back into the gym after a few days off.
like i told everyone i was wwaiting for a new bench shirt to come in. and it finally did. a real good friend of mine KF well call delivered my shirt. shes the best.

the shirt is a 2ply phenom with a reinforced collar.
ive used it before but never the right way.

training from last night went like this.

barx20
135x10
225x5
315x3
2board
405x3
4board
495x1
495x1
495x1
495x1... i usually would NEVER do this before i get into my shirt, but like i said KF was bringing my shirt and hit ALOT of traffic on the NJ Turnpike so i figured to stay warm i would take some sets with this.
shirt on.
495x3.. not even close to touching
585x2.. about a 2 board away
635x1.. FINALLY A MOTHEREFFING TOUCH. haha

its been a while since ive been in this shirt and with all the other shit i did i called it there. my goal was to touch ANYTHING so that i could have a guage for my opener for the meet and i did.

635 flew up and stalled about 2 inches from lockout. somehting im not really worried about because the shirt wasnt jacked up and i was TAPPED at that point-- being at skiba's gym( anyone whos been there knows what im talkin about) for 2 hours sweating my balls out really drained me.

so i did some band pull aparts, band pulldowns, and band pushdowns and called it a night.

overall im pretty happy i finally touched something, im going to open somewhere around 600-635-- its not what i was looking to open with in the other shirt but it will have to do and i will have to make up poundage in my squat and pull.
i will be taking 1 more bench in my shirt and might touch again and take my 2nd attempt to a 1 or 2 board depending how i feel.

PS
SATURDAY---- SKIBAS GYM in Carteret= ANIMAL DAY. be there. gunna be a great time. everyone will be lifting and ill be taking my openers for my squat and pull. come out it should be a good time.

D OUT
stay BIG my friends

Big D
08-07-10, 7:43 pm
so today was ANIMAL DAY at skiba's gym in Carteret-- and shit was there alot of meat in that little gym.

i want to thank everyone who came out and the guys from Uninversal who stopped by.. its always a great time.

so after a rough night.. i got to the gym still in work clothes from yesterday and felt like total garbage. i decided that the only way to feel better was to get some greasy burger king food and shit was i right. after a 10$ bill off the dollar menu and an entire gallon of water.. i was ready to do work. it also helped that the whole crew was there and that helped out.

warms up went like thiss..
barx bunch
150x5
260x3
350x1
460x1
added ace briefs
600x1
640x1
added ace suit
715x1 high
765x1 high
added small knee wraps
825x1... after the long night this was easy and should be an easy opener.

had to take my deadlift opener too... went like this
315x3
405x1
added pro briefs
495x1
585x1
added loose ace suit.
635x1
straps up
700x1 1/2... fell forward and it was ugly so reset and took it again. decided i couldnt end like that..
700x1.. clean easy rep. should be another easy opener. it better be since i did it for 3 haha

after that i was smoked. so i cut it there. will get back in the gym on monday with some light pump work.
will take my bench opener again on wednesday and then thatll be the last heavy workout til the Pro/Am.

things are going well and i cant be mad with this workout.

BIG D out

prowrestler
08-07-10, 8:11 pm
damn big numbers man, what weight class are you in>?

B. Rowe
08-07-10, 8:39 pm
you boys put on a hell of a show. Great to meet you bro, best of luck gearing up for your comp.

Big D
08-08-10, 4:13 pm
Wrestler i compete at 220.

BRowe.. thanks, its was great to meet you too bro. well get after it again soon

J A Y
08-09-10, 5:05 am
id love to be able to say i was opening with numbers like that haha

great to see some more Pl's in here... will you be putting up vids in here too?

Big D
08-09-10, 8:47 am
JAY there were a bunch of videos taken from the ABC at Skibas gym from Saturday.. once i either get them ill post them or hopefully someone will post them. but thanks for the kind words

BIG BEN
08-09-10, 11:25 am
JAY there were a bunch of videos taken from the ABC at Skibas gym from Saturday.. once i either get them ill post them or hopefully someone will post them. but thanks for the kind words

Universal uploaded your 830 squat and your 700 dead on youttube I'll link em here for ya,

here's youre 830 squat... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVM_DBPExSY&playnext=1&videos=yi3lU90DOS0
and your 700 dead... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h6-Z_DLhxQ&feature=related

looking strong brother

Big D
08-09-10, 12:09 pm
thanks my dude

T. Kemble
08-09-10, 12:18 pm
get ready for the openers on weds! I finally sprung for suit-slippers so maybe it wont take a month to get this F6 on...

Big D
08-09-10, 12:20 pm
suit slippers will only help you get it on.. itll take you getting the sand out of your vag to touch in it. hahah

machineman
08-09-10, 9:36 pm
Okay, D....got another question. For a comp bench, do your feet need to be flat on the floor? I am working on getting my setup down, but I am not sure if I need to be flat footed. I think I do, but some other at the gym say no. What say you?? Thanks

Big D
08-09-10, 9:47 pm
machine- it depends on what fed the meet you are looking to lift in allows. federations such as the SPF APA APF will allow you to be on your toes as long as the foot dosent move. but other feds are more strict such as the USAPL or the IPF and you must be flat footed. it all depends on your fed.
hope this helps

Big D
08-10-10, 10:18 am
so since im so lucky to be taking me bench opener with Tek on Wednesday yesterday's upper body day was light just to get some blood into the muslces to get me primed for my last heavy bench.

it went like this

foam roll
10 minutes x EVERYTHING
shoulder tubing
2 sets

cable flys
3x20
supersetted with
band pulldowns
3x20

db shoulder presses
2x20
supersetted with
lateral raises
2x20

seated db shruggs
2x20
supersetted with
band pull aparts
2x20

band pushdowns
3x20
supersetted with
zottman curls
3x20

forearm work
3 sets

abs

condititoning/cardio
dragged the sled around the gym
8 forward and 8 backwards

done.
like i said nothing too crazy. just ggetting some bloodflow.

ill be taking 1 more squat and 1 more deadlift this week. NOTHING too crazy. maybe 50% of my hopeful 3rd attempt with bands. who knows.

Big D
08-11-10, 9:04 am
taking my bench opener tonight with Tek.. hopefully we wont suck.. haha will report back

G Diesel
08-11-10, 9:10 am
taking my bench opener tonight with Tek.. hopefully we wont suck.. haha will report back

Nice. Expecting some big numbers to be hung up by you freaks.

Peace, G

Big D
08-11-10, 10:04 pm
today went... OKAY.

these long days coming in from the city are finally taking a toll at the end of this cycle.. but fuck it i was never one to make excuses..

today went likeeeeeeeeeee this

barx bunch
135x10
225x3
315x1
added 4 board
405x1
added 2ply phenom
3boardx 495x1
2boardx 545x1
1boardx 585x1.. lets take a moment and let me say that this rep felt and looked like 135 and i thought that my 625 opener was going to be smoked.. and was i fucking WRONG.

625x touch x .99
missed at the last inch of my right arm being locked out. this SUCKED. i thought for sure this was a solid opener but just wast my night.

i did need to touch something so came back
605x1 touch, press, smoked.

inverted rows
bw x3x15
supersetted
facepulls
stack x3x15

band pushdowns
3x50
supersetted
db curls
3x10

abs

called it a day. was not happy with my shirt work. going to change my opener to 600 to make sure i can smoke my opener and stay in the contest.

will reportback tomorrow

stay BIG my friends
D

machineman
08-11-10, 10:56 pm
today went... OKAY.

these long days coming in from the city are finally taking a toll at the end of this cycle.. but fuck it i was never one to make excuses..

today went likeeeeeeeeeee this

barx bunch
135x10
225x3
315x1
added 4 board
405x1
added 2ply phenom
3boardx 495x1
2boardx 545x1
1boardx 585x1.. lets take a moment and let me say that this rep felt and looked like 135 and i thought that my 625 opener was going to be smoked.. and was i fucking WRONG.

625x touch x .99
missed at the last inch of my right arm being locked out. this SUCKED. i thought for sure this was a solid opener but just wast my night.

i did need to touch something so came back
605x1 touch, press, smoked.

inverted rows
bw x3x15
supersetted
facepulls
stack x3x15

band pushdowns
3x50
supersetted
db curls
3x10

abs

called it a day. was not happy with my shirt work. going to change my opener to 600 to make sure i can smoke my opener and stay in the contest.

will reportback tomorrow

stay BIG my friends
D

awesome pressing, D....I do have a question...how wide is your grip? I had been placing my pinky finger on the ring, but tonight I had someone that knows a thing or two tell me to bring the hands in some. What do you think? If it helps, I am 6'2 with long ass arms!

Big D
08-12-10, 9:48 am
machine- thanks. as far as my grip.. when im raw im pinky on the rings and with my shirt on im index finger on the ring.

im only 6' tall but i do have longer arms so i would say if you have long arms to bring your grip out further not closer in. with your grip in there is a longer range of motion and makes the life that much harder.. whoever told ya that might not know as much as you think. OR a closer grip just works for them.

hope this helps...

machineman
08-12-10, 10:10 am
machine- thanks. as far as my grip.. when im raw im pinky on the rings and with my shirt on im index finger on the ring.

im only 6' tall but i do have longer arms so i would say if you have long arms to bring your grip out further not closer in. with your grip in there is a longer range of motion and makes the life that much harder.. whoever told ya that might not know as much as you think. OR a closer grip just works for them.

hope this helps...

yes, sir it does!

thanks

C.Coronato
08-12-10, 10:12 am
Looking damn good D. Keep pushing brother.

Big D
08-12-10, 10:19 am
Thanks C.. now its just recovery time.. 9 days out its my favorite part of the training cycle haha

prowrestler
08-12-10, 2:31 pm
Thanks C.. now its just recovery time.. 9 days out its my favorite part of the training cycle haha

hahaha

Big D
08-12-10, 5:24 pm
wrestler.. its funny but its so true.

yesterday was my last heavy workout.
today is an offday.
tomorrow is my last leg day.
saturday/sunday- off
monday- light pump chest day, reverse hypers, cardio
tuesday- light pump back day, reverse hypers, cardio
wednesday- light arm day, reverse hypers, cardio
thursday- flight to ohio, cut down to 220
friday- weigh ins, eat back up to 235
saturday- SHOWTIME

this give me time to rest up, let my joints heal up and get my head right.

definitely the best part of the cycle hahaha

B. Rowe
08-12-10, 10:49 pm

today is an offday.
saturday/sunday- off
saturday- SHOWTIME

By far the most exciting part of it all, the calm before the storm

Big C
08-12-10, 10:57 pm
What's up brother? Just curious what event you are doing out here in Ohio?

I train with a powerlifter who is your age/weight who holds multiple national and world records (for the Bench press) and he was asking your name, but I only knew you on here as "Big D." I'm not aware of any events he is competing this weekend...but I believe he is in competition next weekend somewhere in Ohio.

Big Wides
08-13-10, 7:57 am

today is an offday.
saturday/sunday- off
saturday- SHOWTIME

sounds like a typical pre comp plan....eat up, rest up then lift heavy come showtime

Big D
08-13-10, 9:28 am
big C.. whats going on my man? im doing the PowerStation Pro/Am in i believe its Cinncinatti. i know its near there. its a bigger meet, so thats probably the one hes doing.

Wides- yeaa thats the plan, training has been going decent so hopefully some time off will do the bod good

Big C
08-13-10, 9:58 am
big C.. whats going on my man? im doing the PowerStation Pro/Am in i believe its Cinncinatti. i know its near there. its a bigger meet, so thats probably the one hes doing.

Cool man. I'll tell him about it.....I know for sure that's not the one he is doing...it's in Plainfield or something so his meet must be smaller. Tear it up bro!!! Good luck.

Big D
08-13-10, 11:57 am
thanks alot brotha

Big D
08-13-10, 8:44 pm
so tonight was my last "heavy" workout before the meet.
it was a leg day.

hip mobility/warmup

box squat
135x10
added green bands
135x5
225x4
315x2
405x2
added pro briefs
405x2
455x2
455x2
495x2
495x2

these were all done to a box for speed. was not planning on doing this but the great Louie Simmons told me to do this... so whatever louie says goes haha

sumo rack pulls
inch below knee
kept pro briefs on
135x5
added doubled purple band
135x5
225x3
315x1
rapid fire
405x8x1

again louie said do it so i did it. ha

pull ups
varying grips
4x10

ran the rack dumbbell shruggs
120-75
100 total reps

regular hypers
2x25

abs

DONE.

training is officially in the books. time to heal and rest up. got a massage set for tuesday night. my cut down to 220 will start on thursday and ill outline it in more detail next week.
im taking the weekend off.. heading down to the shore to relax for a little bit before meet week.

will report back on monday.

D out-

J A Y
08-15-10, 5:04 pm
so tonight was my last "heavy" workout before the meet.
it was a leg day.

hip mobility/warmup

box squat
135x10
added green bands
135x5
225x4
315x2
405x2
added pro briefs
405x2
455x2
455x2
495x2
495x2

these were all done to a box for speed. was not planning on doing this but the great Louie Simmons told me to do this... so whatever louie says goes haha

sumo rack pulls
inch below knee
kept pro briefs on
135x5
added doubled purple band
135x5
225x3
315x1
rapid fire
405x8x1

again louie said do it so i did it. ha

pull ups
varying grips
4x10

ran the rack dumbbell shruggs
120-75
100 total reps

regular hypers
2x25

abs

DONE.

training is officially in the books. time to heal and rest up. got a massage set for tuesday night. my cut down to 220 will start on thursday and ill outline it in more detail next week.
im taking the weekend off.. heading down to the shore to relax for a little bit before meet week.

will report back on monday.

D out-

what louie says goes... hell id love just to meet the guy let alone take instructions haha!

good luck at the meet!

Big D
08-15-10, 5:49 pm
Jay- thanks alot brotha.
i actually had the chance to meet him last year at the pro/am.
im hopin he can call me this year.. thatd be pretty sweet

Big D
08-16-10, 1:59 pm
the only good thing about the weather in NYC being this shitty and humid out is that im sweating like a fat chick doing cardio.. maybe this 15lb weight cut wont be as big as an issue after all.....

Symbiote
08-16-10, 6:30 pm
How the hell do you cut 15lbs in a day!? That'd be great for me at the end of the month for my MEPs weigh-in. Just wondering.

Big D
08-16-10, 8:27 pm
i actually took it from the great Matt K... basically its a 3 day overhydration period and then a 24 dehydration period combined with a food fast.

for example..

monday 1 gallon of water
tuesday 2 gallons of water
wednesday 3 gallons of water
thursday am- cut all water
thursday afternoon- cut all food
friday am- weigh ins

i take a water pill monday-thursday and a laxative thursday afternoon if necessary.

its not fun nor is it probably healthy... but its not somethign i do all the time and it gets the job done.

hope this helps

Symbiote
08-17-10, 1:14 am
That's wild man, I don't think I'd be able to do it. Guess the 1-2lb grind will have to do for me.

Big D
08-17-10, 8:50 am
its really not as hard as it looks.. the only tough part is Thursday when you cant eat. but after weigh ins its cruise control heading into the meet.

Big D
08-17-10, 8:54 am
later im going to post my diet for the 3 days of this weight cut. hopefullly if ppl can see it laid out they wont think im fcking nuts haha. or maybe theyll think im even more crazy.. oh well.

on a positive note- got a good nights sleep for the first time in probably 10 months. i dont know why i havent been sleeping well and i dont know why last night was good. but its the first time ive woken up in a while not feeling shit like.... or maybe its the Animal products... mwhahahahahaha

D out-

Symbiote
08-17-10, 3:31 pm
Big D you taking PM? I'm thinkin about gettin on it. I gotta get my body on more of a schedule, going to bed at 5am and waking up at 12pm isn't gonna work for much longer.

Big D
08-17-10, 3:43 pm
ok as promised im gunna outline my diet leading up to weigh ins on friday..

i usually would be carb cycling but decided to go with a differnt idea. instead of low carb days im doing low calorie days.

my low calorie days are mainly for my off days and cardio days and are only 2000 calories. most people would say "oh shit" thats low. and youre correct. its low, its not enough food, and im hungry. but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to drop bodyfat and keep muscle up.

so 2000 calories.. 40% pro 40% carbs 20% fat

divdided by 6 meals

33g of protein
33g of carbs
9g of fat.

per meal.

its not alot of food nor is it very "heavy" food. today looks like this so far.

breakfast
1 1/2 scoop mocha iso whey
1/2 cup of oats
1/4 cup life cereal
(all mixed in a bowl so its like protein cereal.. makes me think im eating cereal)
Animal omega

4 oz. grilled chicken
1/2 cup of oats
1 tbs peanut butter
2 splenda

same thing as meal 2

same thing as meal 2

2 scoops of mocha iso whey
1/2 cup of oats
1 oz of nuts

post workout... during cardio
Torrent zero
2 scoops iso whey
1 scoop maltodextrin
2 scoops BCAA/Gluatmine mix

right before bed..
2 tsp of peanut butter so i dont wake up in the middle of the night starving.

This is what i followed yesterday and what i will be following today and tomorrow.

USUALLY i would vary my meal choices but because im so miserab with 3 days of low calories i keep it the same so that after weigh ins i will feel that much better eating delicious food.
not to mention that while this awful weight cut is going on i am drowing myself in gallons of water to overhydrate just to dehyrate and fast on thursday.
i am rambling so ill stop but only becuase brain functions are slowing down and its only 330 in the afternoon.

D out

Symbiote
08-17-10, 5:27 pm
It actually seems less crazy in my opinion when you break it down like that. Of course a big steak or some hot wings would be sweet in there but I understand your goals and motives good luck man. Tear shit up!

Big D
08-17-10, 5:41 pm
i gotta get on the pm... ive tried a lot of shit.. maybe thats what im missing.
thanks alot.

Big D
08-18-10, 4:44 pm
yesterday was another low cal/off day but did go get a great massage... place called Body Balance in Hoboken. ---little asian lady kicked my ass... im a little sore from the deep tissue.

tonight will be my last workout before the meet. nothing too crazy-- just some light shit to get the blood flowing in my back, upper back and arms.

might do a barbell circut for a little extra cardio to make this weight cut that much easier.

will report back.

D out-

Big D
08-19-10, 11:29 am
so training is in the books.
i did a light workout yesterday, jsut to get more blood flow going on.

went like this

foam rolled
10 min

standing dumbell rows
2x20

band pull donwns supersetted with band pull aparts
4x20//4x20

reverse hypers
2x15

band pushdowns
100 reps

db 21s
3 sets

RTRS (run the rack shruggs)
120-100s
50 total reps

abs

DUNZO.
now its all up to me and the iron gods now.
i am in the middle of my weight cut. as im sitting at my desk at work not being able to eat and only being able to think about food i see all my coworkers... stuffing their faces with delicious pizza and it makes me realize how delicious tomorrow is going to be.
i will report back on my weight before i leave for the airport. hopefully by 7 my weight will be somewhere down around 225ish, although id like it lower. but we shall see.

D out

machineman
08-19-10, 11:46 am
Good Luck, bro! Can't wait to see the results.

Symbiote
08-19-10, 12:13 pm
Fuck pizza, victory tastes so much better!

Big D
08-19-10, 12:21 pm
haha symbiote this is true--- but after i make weight.. the amount of food im going to eat is going to be outrageous.. i cant wait

thanks machine

J Wong
08-21-10, 12:34 am
Good luck this weekend.

Big D
08-23-10, 11:16 am
well... to say that im disappointed is an understatement. i had such high hopes for this weekend and training was going so well but the cards just didnt fall in my favor... i had a great weekend and it woulda been even better if i could have posted a total..

Thursday.
woke up weight was 231. PERFECT. had a light breakfast and a couple hours later had a protein shake at work. got home from work was 227. PERFECT. that should have meant that by the time i got to the hotel in Cincy i would be either at 220 or just a little heavier.................... Fast forward to 1AM at the hotel. i pull out my scale from home and get on thinking that id be fine.. 226. i lost a POUND in 7 hours. no eating, no drinking, just chewing gun and dipping. WHAT THE FUCK.

Friday
so it was time for the trusty bathroom sauna, which is the showering running on hot with the door shut and a towel underneath to make a steam room. let me tell you this is the most miserable thing in the entire world and i would say by any means to avoid this in a weight cut. 2 hours in the "steam room" with a plastic bag on and 2 sweatshirts weigh is around 224. i was a litlte confused as to how this was happening because ususally the sauna dries me out pretty well. went to bed around 330 and woke up at 530 weight 223.5. ok 3.5 lbs to go by 7. figured this would be no problem.... back into the steam room.. by 7 i was 222. SHIT. went to the meet location and checked my weight on their scale hopeing my scale was heavy... 222...FUCK. so a training partner of mine gave me a diuretic that he said helped him to lose 14lbs in a day. i only needed 2 i thought i was set. fast forward to 930................................. 221.5. still over. at this point i am freaking out, starving because i hadnt eaten in 25 hours and delusional becuase i just want to make weight. so i go out into the car, turn the windows up in 90 degreen cincinnati and turn the heat on full blast. i sit in the car for an hour and lose 2 lbs and weigh in at 219.5 BAM.
Friday was the Amateur day and i handled my boy Andy from Rhode Island. He competed as a 308 and hit a big PR 900lb squat.
all throuhout the day i had... a gallon of water, a liter of gatorade, a bottle of pedialyte, a protein shake, a big 100 bar, a reese fast break, Chipolte, McDondalds, Outbak and Dairy queen. goddamn was i bloated and when i checked my weight after dessert i was 238. BAM x2. a 19 turnaround. i was LOVING LIFE.

Saturday
woke up after a 10 hour coma and checked weight 235. PERFECT. felt like a millon buck.. went to waffle house and had a decent size breakfast and it was off to the convention center. when i get there i realized everyone was already warming up so i had to hurry up and get ready.

warms ups went like this..
150x5
briefs on
330x2
420x1
510x1
suit bottoms on, straps up
600x1
600x1
715x1.. felt strong and looked good.

first attempt
825x 3 whites.. i was in teh meet. this was such a HUGE relief after bombing the year before i knew now that i was going to have a big day. called for 9.

second attempt
900x 3 whites.. GODDAMN was i jackedup. this is a 75lb meet PR and what a stage to do it on.

third attempt
925x miss... had to rerack cuz the monolift was too high and fucked everything up.. came too far forward on the way up. spotters took it.

my left side of my back tightened up so had a PT work on it for alittle bit before i started benching.

bench.. warm ups felt great
135x5
225x3
315x1
shirt on
405x2
495x 2board x 1
545x 1board x 1

1st attempt
600x miss.. oh shit. im a very mental lifter and i knew this wasnt good. usually when i miss an opener it dosent end well. the weight felt light in my hands but i didnt flare my elbows so didnt lock it out.

2nd attempt
600x miss.. fuck. got it down, got a press flared very good but too fast and bar went over my face and into the rack.

3rd attempt
600x miss.. WHAT THE FUCK. same as the 2nd. flared well but too fast and it went over my head.

bombed again. for the 2nd year in a row. this time after hitting a huge PR squat. i was so disappointed i had it out with the bathroom stall.. well call it a draw.

didnt get to pull because i bombed and if i just would have hit my opener bench and pull would gave me 2200 and a 200lb meet PR. but i didnt so i can walk aaway with a few things...

1. after talking to the great louie simmons.. i will be moving up to the 242s
2. im going to take the next 10-15 weeks and work on my raw strength
3. i will be switching into a canvas squat suit and a canvas bench shirt
4. my next full meet is January 29th in New Jersey. The IPA NJ States
5. i will do atleast 1 bench only meet and probably 1 push pull meet before then.
6. in January i want to hit at the MINIMUM 2500 and want somewhere around 26.
7. at the 2011 pro/am i will hit a 2700lb total.

i want to thank Universal and Animal. i want to thank my coach Henri Skiba and my guys Andy and Tek who came out to help. and of course i want to thank my family and friends who have always been behind me.

this next week coming up will be an off week/ recovery week and i will be back at it on Sunday.

naturalguy
08-23-10, 11:24 am
a 900 lb squat is incredible, hold your head up high, you are in elite company

Powerfreak
08-23-10, 11:35 am
I have bombed at a couple of big meets,and at the time it makes ya want to kill something or someone. All the training and hard work, right down the shitter.
Now, on the flip side, you posted a squat PR, you learned that cutting weight is a BIG BITCH, and alot of times will come up and bite you in the ass. You got some good advice on weight class and apparently equipment.
You will recover and come back strong. Hell, i bombed at the Arnold one year, threw all of my gear in the back of my truck, didn't train for two months, went to a meet to help out and drink and ended up coming away with my first 1000lb. squat. Shit happens! LOL

I would say welcome to the 242's, but it looks like my fat ass is actually gonna end up in the 308's.
I am actually training and soon to be doing a raw meet to build my base strength, it seems o be working, except for a couple of injuries, but I am an old fuck and these will happen.
You are still young and have lots of good years ahead. Take your time and do it right.

Good luck and good lifting,

Brian Weston

Mr. Dead
08-23-10, 11:37 am
a 900 lb squat is incredible, hold your head up high, you are in elite company

Agreed... You're going to own your next meet...

Big D
08-23-10, 11:45 am
thanks guys

Universal Repstress
08-23-10, 12:48 pm
You still are an amazing athlete!
You will get it next time.

G Diesel
08-23-10, 12:50 pm
Impressive as shit on the squat Big D. That is madness. Just a matter of time before the stars line up and you hit your stride on all three lifts in one meet and when that happens, the total is going to be staggering. You did us all proud bro.

Peace, G

machineman
08-23-10, 1:07 pm
sorry to hear it didn't go as planned, Big D. next time, brother!

Aggression
08-23-10, 1:20 pm
Damn, incredible squat number. Its all good, Big D. It happens to the best of us. You came out with some valuable advice/tips. You're gonna be a force next time around.

Big D
08-23-10, 1:21 pm
i really appreciate all the support guys.

it sucks to know that i basically trained an entire year and still dont have a big total.. but come january 29th in Newark NJ.. ill put on a show. mark my words.

C.Coronato
08-23-10, 1:47 pm
Next meet on home turf? Its fate brother. Keep your head up, 900 is no joke.

BIG BEN
08-23-10, 2:02 pm
We learn more from our losses than our victories bro. It sounds like this experience lit a fire in you that will push you to a new level. I would suggest taking it as a positive experience. You hit a huge squat and now have a clearer direction to take. We're behind ya brother.

Big D
08-23-10, 2:08 pm
yesssss the new, improved, larger, badder and focused Big D's next full meet will be in NJ in Newark. i also plan on doing a push pull and a bench only.. one in wildwood and one in edison... going to stay local for the rest of the year... except the Olympia of course.

thanks for the support fellas

J A Y
08-23-10, 5:18 pm
We learn more from our losses than our victories bro. It sounds like this experience lit a fire in you that will push you to a new level. I would suggest taking it as a positive experience. You hit a huge squat and now have a clearer direction to take. We're behind ya brother.

VERY VERY true

i can relate big D, ive only done 3 meets and ive had a torrid time with benching, feel for you man, but as everybody as else has said, its going to light that fire you need

will be interesting to see how the equipment changes work

Big D
08-23-10, 9:03 pm
thank JAY

Big Wides
08-23-10, 9:54 pm
Dude it happens to all of us but you had one hell of a squat....your head is on right and the thinking is positive.

Rest up and lets give it hell

widdlewade44
08-23-10, 10:44 pm
Congrats on the squat PR and you've learned a lot for yourself. You'll do well on your home turf in Jersey, stay focused and you'll bring it home!

Kevin
widdlewade44

Big D
08-24-10, 8:53 am
thanks everyone.
it means alot to hear encouragement and kind words from people that ive never met.

thanks again

Big D

T. Kemble
08-24-10, 12:27 pm
Skibs put together a video of the meet for ya bro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJJpXqByYe8

Again, hell of a job!

Big D
08-24-10, 12:41 pm
oh Christ.. i cant see it at work.. but i can only imagine..

a whole video??? haha i went 2-6 how long can it possibly be??

B. Rowe
08-24-10, 12:43 pm
well... to say that im disappointed is an understatement. i had such high hopes for this weekend and training was going so well but the cards just didnt fall in my favor... i had a great weekend and it woulda been even better if i could have posted a total..

Thursday.
woke up weight was 231. PERFECT. had a light breakfast and a couple hours later had a protein shake at work. got home from work was 227. PERFECT. that should have meant that by the time i got to the hotel in Cincy i would be either at 220 or just a little heavier.................... Fast forward to 1AM at the hotel. i pull out my scale from home and get on thinking that id be fine.. 226. i lost a POUND in 7 hours. no eating, no drinking, just chewing gun and dipping. WHAT THE FUCK.

Friday
so it was time for the trusty bathroom sauna, which is the showering running on hot with the door shut and a towel underneath to make a steam room. let me tell you this is the most miserable thing in the entire world and i would say by any means to avoid this in a weight cut. 2 hours in the "steam room" with a plastic bag on and 2 sweatshirts weigh is around 224. i was a litlte confused as to how this was happening because ususally the sauna dries me out pretty well. went to bed around 330 and woke up at 530 weight 223.5. ok 3.5 lbs to go by 7. figured this would be no problem.... back into the steam room.. by 7 i was 222. SHIT. went to the meet location and checked my weight on their scale hopeing my scale was heavy... 222...FUCK. so a training partner of mine gave me a diuretic that he said helped him to lose 14lbs in a day. i only needed 2 i thought i was set. fast forward to 930................................. 221.5. still over. at this point i am freaking out, starving because i hadnt eaten in 25 hours and delusional becuase i just want to make weight. so i go out into the car, turn the windows up in 90 degreen cincinnati and turn the heat on full blast. i sit in the car for an hour and lose 2 lbs and weigh in at 219.5 BAM.
Friday was the Amateur day and i handled my boy Andy from Rhode Island. He competed as a 308 and hit a big PR 900lb squat.
all throuhout the day i had... a gallon of water, a liter of gatorade, a bottle of pedialyte, a protein shake, a big 100 bar, a reese fast break, Chipolte, McDondalds, Outbak and Dairy queen. goddamn was i bloated and when i checked my weight after dessert i was 238. BAM x2. a 19 turnaround. i was LOVING LIFE.

Saturday
woke up after a 10 hour coma and checked weight 235. PERFECT. felt like a millon buck.. went to waffle house and had a decent size breakfast and it was off to the convention center. when i get there i realized everyone was already warming up so i had to hurry up and get ready.

warms ups went like this..
150x5
briefs on
330x2
420x1
510x1
suit bottoms on, straps up
600x1
600x1
715x1.. felt strong and looked good.

first attempt
825x 3 whites.. i was in teh meet. this was such a HUGE relief after bombing the year before i knew now that i was going to have a big day. called for 9.

second attempt
900x 3 whites.. GODDAMN was i jackedup. this is a 75lb meet PR and what a stage to do it on.

third attempt
925x miss... had to rerack cuz the monolift was too high and fucked everything up.. came too far forward on the way up. spotters took it.

my left side of my back tightened up so had a PT work on it for alittle bit before i started benching.

bench.. warm ups felt great
135x5
225x3
315x1
shirt on
405x2
495x 2board x 1
545x 1board x 1

1st attempt
600x miss.. oh shit. im a very mental lifter and i knew this wasnt good. usually when i miss an opener it dosent end well. the weight felt light in my hands but i didnt flare my elbows so didnt lock it out.

2nd attempt
600x miss.. fuck. got it down, got a press flared very good but too fast and bar went over my face and into the rack.

3rd attempt
600x miss.. WHAT THE FUCK. same as the 2nd. flared well but too fast and it went over my head.

bombed again. for the 2nd year in a row. this time after hitting a huge PR squat. i was so disappointed i had it out with the bathroom stall.. well call it a draw.

didnt get to pull because i bombed and if i just would have hit my opener bench and pull would gave me 2200 and a 200lb meet PR. but i didnt so i can walk aaway with a few things...

1. after talking to the great louie simmons.. i will be moving up to the 242s
2. im going to take the next 10-15 weeks and work on my raw strength
3. i will be switching into a canvas squat suit and a canvas bench shirt
4. my next full meet is January 29th in New Jersey. The IPA NJ States
5. i will do atleast 1 bench only meet and probably 1 push pull meet before then.
6. in January i want to hit at the MINIMUM 2500 and want somewhere around 26.
7. at the 2011 pro/am i will hit a 2700lb total.

i want to thank Universal and Animal. i want to thank my coach Henri Skiba and my guys Andy and Tek who came out to help. and of course i want to thank my family and friends who have always been behind me.

this next week coming up will be an off week/ recovery week and i will be back at it on Sunday.

Just one of those days bro and it sucks that it had to be the day of the meet. Worrying about making weight puts a huge stress on you that is hard to recover and even though you packed on some decent weight your body is still pretty depleted. Its good that you can look back and speak to one of the legends of the sport and set new goals and move on. Goodluck these next few months getting ready for the meet in NJ

Big D
08-24-10, 12:48 pm
thanks Brad

T. Kemble
08-24-10, 1:04 pm
oh Christ.. i cant see it at work.. but i can only imagine..

a whole video??? haha i went 2-6 how long can it possibly be??

its very epic. i went over his place yesterday afternoon and uploaded it to his mac so he's got ya.