PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use....?

Cole673a
08-03-10, 6:30 pm
Does anyone here use the vibram five finger shoes for squatting and leg day? if so which one should i get, or just any advice on them.

mcbeast
08-03-10, 6:35 pm
Does anyone here use the vibram five finger shoes for squatting and leg day? if so which one should i get, or just any advice on them.

Save yourself the money, buy a pair of Chucks. Besides, those five finger things look retarted..

Could just be that all the bicep-chest champs wear em at my gym..

PORTERHOUSE
08-03-10, 7:31 pm
My old lifting buddy used to train in those. They are way over priced and like excessive said, they look retarded.

Chucks/wrestling shoes/even barefoot = cheaper and less retarded options.

Mindaugas
08-03-10, 7:33 pm
Best thing you could do for your feet, anyone who knows a bit about body mechanics will agree, and who cares what they look like you're not wearing them to a date.

Legacy
08-03-10, 10:36 pm
I squat barefoot.

Cole673a
08-03-10, 11:27 pm
yea i have been squatting barefoot but i didnt know if those would help

intoodeep25
08-03-10, 11:37 pm
the only problem i have with squatting barefoot is sweat. where i squat its like 95 degrees and the sweat starts pouring out in buckets, mat gets wet, and i dont like the footing/feel of it being even a tad slippery with heavy poundages on my back. but for real, id never spend a hundred bucks for shoes that make you feel like you have no shoes on...save the dough, get some chucks, buy more food with the money saved

Legacy
08-03-10, 11:44 pm
the only problem i have with squatting barefoot is sweat. where i squat its like 95 degrees and the sweat starts pouring out in buckets, mat gets wet, and i dont like the footing/feel of it being even a tad slippery with heavy poundages on my back. but for real, id never spend a hundred bucks for shoes that make you feel like you have no shoes on...save the dough, get some chucks, buy more food with the money saved

I know what you mean, they have rubber under the squat rack at my gym, however that being said, this is where chalk comes in handy. I rub that shit on the rubber and it gives me a solid base. Love squatting and deadlifting barefoot. Wish I could train barefoot like they use to do, but god knows how many people at the gym would bitch and complain about that lol.

IronWilson
08-04-10, 12:42 am
Dude...Vibram Five-Fingers are the shit. Try them. You will not be disappointed. They are a saving grace for me. I cannot speak highly enough about them.

I love my chucks, but the Five-Fingers blow any other shoe out of the water in terms of comfort and pain-free performance. Who cares how they look? You will be loving them if you have knee pain. Don't knock 'em if you haven't tried 'em.

Cstlfx
08-04-10, 12:59 am
My training partner uses them for leg day. Really likes them. If you have the money and want to spend it, go for it. Plus, you wont have to worry about getting infected with anything off the floor.

Hercules
08-04-10, 11:29 am
How about just using deadlift slippers for squat day? They're between $5 and $12 depending on brand and place of purchase, yet give you the benefits stated in the above posts. I, personally, compete in wrestling shoes but train in some cheap flat-bottom skater-type shoes I picked up at WalMart a couple years ago. Keep it cost-effective; save your money for more food...

ghost
08-04-10, 11:34 am
those 5fingers are ugly. and ridiculous looking.

for those squatting barefoot, if you ever compete, just know you cant squat barefoot, in any fed.

intoodeep25
08-04-10, 1:08 pm
I know what you mean, they have rubber under the squat rack at my gym, however that being said, this is where chalk comes in handy. I rub that shit on the rubber and it gives me a solid base. Love squatting and deadlifting barefoot. Wish I could train barefoot like they use to do, but god knows how many people at the gym would bitch and complain about that lol.

hmm never really though of chalk on the mat...i lift at home with a very nice set up ive accumulated over the past couple years, so luckily im fortunate enough to be able to lift barefoot, its just squats are the only thing that ive always been iffy about because of the sweat on the rubber flooring. where i deadlift is a different flooring so i love deads barefoot. might have to try that chalk idea out

G Diesel
08-04-10, 1:23 pm
Saw Pakulski wearing those first at the gym at the Arnold. They are funky looking but he said they're really comfortable. Not my style but hey whatever works.

I bet there'll be a hundred guys wearing them there next year, but to me you have to be pretty jacked to pull those off.

Peace, G

Bard of Rage
08-04-10, 4:44 pm
I've had a pair of the KSOs for over a year and a half now. They're much better than my old shoes for squats, deadlifts, and running. Of course I tend to have to explain to people what the hell they are.

Cole673a
08-04-10, 4:49 pm
im thinkin im just gonna save the money and keep on doing it barefooted.

naturalguy
08-04-10, 5:10 pm
Saw Pakulski wearing those first at the gym at the Arnold. They are funky looking but he said they're really comfortable. Not my style but hey whatever works.

I bet there'll be a hundred guys wearing them there next year, but to me you have to be pretty jacked to pull those off.

Peace, G

If I was as big as Pakman I would rock 'em but until then I'll lift in my Chuck's

GUNS
08-04-10, 9:01 pm
I love mine. I used to train barefoot but can't in the gym's around here. They give me that barefoot feeling. I also do not slip in them. I do all my workouts in them and they stay cool. One of, if not the best workout shoes I have used in 20 years. If you don't like them, don't buy them. But I would bet that if the ones who have never tried them on did, they would like them!

Sprint
08-06-10, 1:10 pm
for those squatting barefoot, if you ever compete, just know you cant squat barefoot, in any fed.

just thought i'd quote the above cos it's a good point that seems as tho it may have been overlooked here.

in addition, a few guys at my gym squat & deadlift in their socks. they dont seem to struggle for grip at all. aint seen nobody wearing some funky 5 finger shoes at all.

Torque757
08-07-10, 1:03 pm
Those things saved my knees, I lovem. They are great for running also, as normal shows promote the unnatural heavy heel striking that you definitely wont do in these.

As for the looks ofem?

I guess the other guys are right... they "may" look retarded, in some people's opinion...

And as we all know, animal is all about not looking retarded and doing whatever you can to avoid not fitting in with the norm.

charlievanriper
08-07-10, 2:10 pm
no

Sprint
08-21-10, 3:22 pm
Thought I'd throw an update in here for anybody interested.

Daedlifted in me socks for the first time the other day. Don't think I'll ever go back to trainers.
Grip was ok, the floor is rubbercoated but not your smooth rubber, so had plenty of grip. Felt a million times better with regards to balance & everything else.
I'd recommend anybody who hasn't yet, to give it a go. If grip is an issue with your gym surface, grab some socks that have those little bead things on the bottom.