PDA

View Full Version : Feeling dizzy on squats

Jzepp
08-04-10, 3:44 pm
I just started squatting again after a few month layoff and was working in the high 300 lb. range but i only went to a bit about parallel. My legs have not grown in years. I finally put my ego at the door and said i was going to break parallel...not ATG but below parallel as i feel my legs are not getting the growth perhaps because of not working them to the fullest. I dropped back to low 300 range for a few reps and used the power rack this time, setting the bars to where i could squat down and lightly touch the bars to make sure i was breaking parallel.

I usually just squat in the squat rack, but its hard to tell if i am going low enough. The power rack scares me because when racking the weight, for some reason i must be in between too short or too tall to get under the bar, so i need to set a 45 pound plate on the ground and step up to reach fthe bar in order to be comfortable. When trying to rerack the weight i have to step up on the 45 pound plate and then set the weight down which with alot of weight on my back is scary after being fatigued from heavy squatting.

Today, after doing my last 2 heavy sets and then doing a drop set and racking the weight i got really dizzy and saw stars and felt like i was going to pass out. It scared the hell out of me. Does anybody experience this when doing squats and what causes this? I have experienced this before but not as intense as it was today. I really thought i came close to just passing out.

C.Coronato
08-04-10, 4:01 pm
I think that has a lot to do with breathing. If you dont breathe the lack of oxygen to your brain could cause you to pass out, or in your case, almost pass out.

Mr. Dead
08-04-10, 4:07 pm
I think that has a lot to do with breathing. If you dont breathe the lack of oxygen to your brain could cause you to pass out, or in your case, almost pass out.

This... And, it could also be a vaso-vagal response... You are stimulating the nerve responsible for the exact opposite of the 'fight or flight'/adrenal response... Exhale on the up-lift and that should help quite a bit. As to how much, experiment...

PORTERHOUSE
08-04-10, 4:12 pm
I have this problem with deads. Every time I dead lift I feel like I am going to pass out. like C.C said, I think it has to do with breathing. Its something I am trying to work on.

Jzepp
08-04-10, 4:44 pm
I think that I have a tendency to breathe out of my mouth. I dont know if that has anything to do with it. Also, on the last heavy sets i hold my breath, squat down, come up and then breathe out.

Machine
08-04-10, 10:28 pm
Your problem is that you dont understand how to barbell squat properly.

MACHINE

Jzepp
08-05-10, 12:02 am
What is the proper breathing technique? When going heavy i thought that you need a tight core to keep from getting injured. From what i have read you are suppose to take a deep breathe and hold then squat down and breathe out deeply on the way up.

Grue
08-05-10, 3:39 am
...and saw stars...

The seeing stars thing happened a few times with me. Not with lifting weights, but just randomly at home or something. Weirdest thing ever seeing bright dots floating around infront of you. No idea what it is thou.

Grue
08-05-10, 3:46 am
Do you use a weight lifting belt? I know (or I think I know) if you have high blood presure and the belt is to tight, then all the blood goes to your legs and not enough to your head. If so, when done with a set, take of the belt, don't leave it on. It helps for me.

BamBam
08-05-10, 6:10 pm
Your problem is that you dont understand how to barbell squat properly.

MACHINE

DING DING DING... thank God for this reply...

Also, after you have taken a long while to change your form, then learn how to breathe.. filling your stomach with air, tight upperback, pushing your head into a bar, arching your lowerback, ass back, toes out, knees out...

Dunno if you want to powerlift or bodybuild but this is how you squat..

IN IRON,
BB-

msktyshha
08-05-10, 7:04 pm
it happens to me sometimes when I am sitting in a squatting position for a minute or two while at work..then as I get up I get this dizziness and the star stuff..it happens

WeeMan
08-05-10, 7:21 pm
iv got it when i try to do reps to quickly.take a second before each rep, take a deep breath, concentrate, squat.

Jzepp
08-06-10, 6:24 am
iv got it when i try to do reps to quickly.take a second before each rep, take a deep breath, concentrate, squat.

I pause between each rep. I don't know if this is ok to do or should you be doing one continuous motion without pausing.

BamBam
08-06-10, 10:25 am
I pause between each rep. I don't know if this is ok to do or should you be doing one continuous motion without pausing.

You need to youtube some squat videos of guys like Sam Byrd, anything from West-Side barbell, Brian Siders, Andy Bolton, etc...

Watch their form, and watch how they breathe in deep as they descend, sucking in tons of air into their stomachs while keeping them tight, then they breathe out with force! You will hear that hissing sound when they squat for a reason.

WeeMan
08-06-10, 11:29 am

na i wouldnt do it as a continual motion, pause between each rep and as BamBam says, take a deep breath and feel ur abs tighten up.

just as a thought also, you might have been dehydrated so always drink alot. if u already know that then ignore that.

BamBam
08-06-10, 11:44 am
na i wouldnt do it as a continual motion, pause between each rep and as BamBam says, take a deep breath and feel ur abs tighten up.

just as a thought also, you might have been dehydrated so always drink alot. if u already know that then ignore that.

You should burn through almost a gallon of water a workout.. I mix in some aminos and some sugar free kool-aid in my gallon so drinking it is easy and tasty

But lemme know if u have any other squat tips bro..

IN IRON
BB-

Jzepp
08-06-10, 3:10 pm
Could it possibly also have something to do with the pre workout energy/NO drink i take before working out?

BamBam
08-07-10, 10:30 am
Could it possibly also have something to do with the pre workout energy/NO drink i take before working out?

What are you taking? I mean there could be a number of things... but I am going with...

A.) form
B.) breathing
C.) weight

I take Jack3d by USP labs, and when I am done with that I switch back to PUMP (pre) and shock therapy and torrent and aminos during (do this as well when I am on the Jack3d), as well as my gallon of h20.