PDA

View Full Version : Sartorius Muscle

Big Bay
08-05-10, 7:56 pm
Hey brothers,

I did a brief search, and didnt find anything. So if this has been answered just please redirect me.

Anyways, as you all might know its responsible for allowing you leg to raise up and rotate inward (crossing your legs indian style). I used some ankle wraps that connected to a cable tower at the bottom, and moved my leg up and crossed, as if hitting a hack sack.

I could feel the muscle being worked, but it seemed to stress the inguinal ligament a bit, or at least the region of the body.

Does anyone else do this? Or is it a bad ideal? Anyways, thanks in advance.

BamBam
08-05-10, 8:15 pm
Hey brothers,

I did a brief search, and didnt find anything. So if this has been answered just please redirect me.

Anyways, as you all might know its responsible for allowing you leg to raise up and rotate inward (crossing your legs indian style). I used some ankle wraps that connected to a cable tower at the bottom, and moved my leg up and crossed, as if hitting a hack sack.

I could feel the muscle being worked, but it seemed to stress the inguinal ligament a bit, or at least the region of the body.

Does anyone else do this? Or is it a bad ideal? Anyways, thanks in advance.

Uhm... unless you are going to be a pro "hacky sacker"... stop..

IN IRON,
BB-

Sprint
08-06-10, 1:06 pm
yeah, have to ask is there any particular reason you're looking to strengthen and/or develop it?

BamBam
08-06-10, 1:30 pm
yeah, have to ask is there any particular reason you're looking to strengthen and/or develop it?

I mean I understand his thinking... it is a leg muscle that of course does its role in supporting you and lifting, running, etc etc... but unsure of what got him into wanting to try and train it directly.

Instead... do squats, deadlifts, lunges, plyometrics, step ups, and leg press... won't have to worry too much about your leg development then..

IN IRON
BB-

Sprint
08-06-10, 2:27 pm
I mean I understand his thinking... it is a leg muscle that of course does its role in supporting you and lifting, running, etc etc... but unsure of what got him into wanting to try and train it directly.

Instead... do squats, deadlifts, lunges, plyometrics, step ups, and leg press... won't have to worry too much about your leg development then..

IN IRON
BB-

oh aye yeah, just wondered why he was focusing on it specifically.

BamBam
08-06-10, 2:29 pm

Hopefully he will shed light on it..

IN IRON,
BB-

Legacy
08-06-10, 3:11 pm
I am going to take a different approach to the rest of the comments. Training the satorius muscle is worth it. The only downside to your training approach is after you come across the need to come up is not needed. So I am looking at this from 2 perspectives.

As a bodybuilder there is a big benefit to it that a lot of people do not realize. I am a big believer (along with others) that training that muscle helps with the drop in the hamstring. And if your a body builder, you want those hamstrings to hang down and give them that full look. Its a decent size muscle and if your a bodybuilder it should be something that could be added on hamstring day to help with the drop of the hamstring.

Now, looking at this from another standpoint is an athlete view or other functional position. With the exception of the hamstring pull/tear, another common injury in athletics is a groin injury. If you have a weak sartorius muscle, you can severely sprain it due to a forced hip extension. On the flip side of that, having an injury to the anterior of the pelvis can affect the sartorius due to the attachment position of it. Injuries on this muscle take time to heal and if it tears or is pulled, you'll be in some pain for a while.

I know this reply might seem like a little much for something that we don't train specifically and yes it does put a lot of focus on the sartorius muscle, but in the end it is based on your goals. Me being in law enforcement train this muscle because I need to keep my leg muscles strong due to the fact that I can go from sitting in a car seat one minute to a dead out sprint the next minute, and the last thing I need is a muscle tear. Which is why my leg training is a lot different than my typical bodybuilder upper body training. It is also important for a lot of athletes. If you look at a majority of strength and conditioning programs for high amateur to professional level sports, you will notice a lot of adduction and abduction exercises are included in the program.

But like I said before, its all based on your goals. If you need a strong sartorius then train it, if you don't then don't focus on it so much.

Legacy
08-06-10, 3:15 pm

Hopefully he will shed light on it..

IN IRON,
BB-

I too would be interested in hearing your opinion about it since you are a sprinter.

Sprint
08-06-10, 4:03 pm
I too would be interested in hearing your opinion about it since you are a sprinter.

As a sprinter and one who has had 4 bad tears in both adductors from sprinting, I can understand him wanting to strengthen it. If it's from an post-injury point of view and he wants to reduce the chances of a repeat (the effects of which can be psychologically devastating. speaking from personal experience) then it's worth noting that the sartorius muscle lies alongside or crosses over several other muscles. The adductor magnus, gracilis, adductor brevis, adductor longus and pectineus.
With groin injuries, because all of these are intricately linked, it's difficult to determine which one has been injured without seeking experienced professional help. Sometimes it can even be an injury to the hip flexor, but feeling like a groin injury and vice versa.
There's also an injury known as a 'sportsmans hernia'. Much like a normal hernia but much lower down. A guy at my athletics club suffered this, & thought it was a groin strain & several physios couldnt diagnose the problem until he went to a much more experienced physio who diagnosed it within a few seconds. Mal had an operation on it, and was back training the next day with no ill effects since.

Given the specificty of the question, focusing on the sartorius muscle in particular, I assume he's either been diagnosed with such an injury or is a hack sack player.
If it is an injury, then I'd say it's worth using stretching exercises & a multi-hip machine (if your gym has one).

In terms of just wanting to strengthen this particular muscle for the sake of it (not wishing to make his intentions sound trivial) then I'd recommend targeting all the above muscles as well.

Legacy
08-06-10, 11:50 pm
As a sprinter and one who has had 4 bad tears in both adductors from sprinting, I can understand him wanting to strengthen it. If it's from an post-injury point of view and he wants to reduce the chances of a repeat (the effects of which can be psychologically devastating. speaking from personal experience) then it's worth noting that the sartorius muscle lies alongside or crosses over several other muscles. The adductor magnus, gracilis, adductor brevis, adductor longus and pectineus.
With groin injuries, because all of these are intricately linked, it's difficult to determine which one has been injured.

4 bad tears huh? I know recovery for those injuries are long, how long did they hold you back for?

It would be nice if the guy that started this thread came back so we could understand what his goals and reasonings are for wanting to work on his sartorius.

BamBam
08-07-10, 10:36 am
4 bad tears huh? I know recovery for those injuries are long, how long did they hold you back for?

It would be nice if the guy that started this thread came back so we could understand what his goals and reasonings are for wanting to work on his sartorius.

Agreed...

IN IRON,
BB-

Sprint
08-07-10, 3:34 pm
each one took about a (not so) good 6-8 weeks before I was able to train at anything remotely close to being considered a run. The psychological problems lasted much longer though, have had my share of injuries but never repeated any apart from re-tearing my quads because I tried to come back too soon. Each subsequent tear of the adductors though, everytime it felt fully recovered & went with no warning. Pulled a right hamstring, a left hamstring, ruptured my right achillie's tendon but because each one was different you just accept it as part of being an athlete. When you do the same thing repeatedly with no prior warning, a part of you is always waiting for it to go ping again. Of course this tends to lead to a tightening up of the body in general, in anticipation which increases the chances of re-injuring oneself.
The first tear occured in October last year, & the first time since that initial injury that I sprinted flat out was last saturday. It needed a league match to finally get me to cut loose and give it the beans, because it was a league match rather than an individual chmapionships, you run for points for your club so you've got the added incentive of not letting club mates down.

So all told, including psychological issues, a good 10 months pretty much down the drain. But fuck it, i'm back now & just in time to help the club seal the League Title & all set for the promotion play off next sunday. More details about all that in my journey, link's in my sig. This thread's not about me & I feel like I may have hijacked it somewhat.

Legacy
08-07-10, 3:36 pm
When you do the same thing repeatedly with no prior warning, a part of you is always waiting for it to go ping again. Of course this tends to lead to a tightening up of the body in general, in anticipation which increases the chances of re-injuring oneself.

I was going to bring that point up but you beat me too it. I had a feeling that was part of the psychological stresses you had to deal with when you finally got healed up. Damn though man thats a lot of shitty injuries, good to see your back on your feet though.

Sprint
08-07-10, 3:52 pm
Thanks bro, I feel it's made me a better athlete. I tweaked my technique a bit to protect the adductors a little bit, the result of which is that I got more up on my toes. I run a lot more efficiently now as well, plus with all the strength work I've done to strengthen the usual suspects I'm a much stronger athlete than when I was in my teens.

Of course then there's the added bonus that I can advise other youngsters at the club if they happen to have an injury. One of whom is now a client of mine at the gym, he's already admitted that he's putting off performing certain movements for fear of re-injuring his knee. It's always nice to have somebody say "hey, I was right where you are now in your head & I can tell you it's possible to come back from it."

The other athletes at the club, mostly the seniors who I've known for 10 years, were as pleased for me to finally get a hold on the demons as I was. There's a core of athletes there of which im the youngest who really are supportive of each other because we've known each other for years. The other's, including my coach are in their 40s so were there for years before me but have made up the main part of my athletics family. I think their support & belief in me played a huge role in being able to finally come back.

Plus I don't take the sport for granted at all. I don't think I ever did, but even if I did a little I sure as hell don't now.

Big Bay
08-08-10, 8:56 pm
Hey gents,

Sorry it took so long to reply. I ended up going camping this last weekend on a whim. In regards to your questions as to why I was curious about training it though. No reason really. I just finished an anatomy class, and learning the different muscles and functions just made me curious to some things. And the muscle just seems like one that is over looked, mainly because of the movements in primarily responsible for. So I just experimented with some ideals, and thought I would see what you guys have done.

My goals are going to be more along the lines of body building now though. I just got out of the Army, so now I can do less running and focus more on lifting heavy weights.

Thanks for the replies though, I learned some new things that I can change and I appreciate that.

BamBam
08-09-10, 12:28 pm
Hey gents,

Sorry it took so long to reply. I ended up going camping this last weekend on a whim. In regards to your questions as to why I was curious about training it though. No reason really. I just finished an anatomy class, and learning the different muscles and functions just made me curious to some things. And the muscle just seems like one that is over looked, mainly because of the movements in primarily responsible for. So I just experimented with some ideals, and thought I would see what you guys have done.

My goals are going to be more along the lines of body building now though. I just got out of the Army, so now I can do less running and focus more on lifting heavy weights.

Thanks for the replies though, I learned some new things that I can change and I appreciate that.

"Less running and more heavy lifting.." that's powerlifting my friend lol.. But I get what you are saying. Do what your hearts says man.

Honestly, if you want to train your sartorius.. and what you do doesn't hurt you or any other part of your anatomy... then do it. Nothing wrong with extra work... as long as you r doing squats and deads for legs as well as leg ext, curls, lunges, etc etc..

IN IRON,
BB-

Big Bay
08-19-10, 1:36 pm
"Less running and more heavy lifting.." that's powerlifting my friend lol.. But I get what you are saying. Do what your hearts says man.

Honestly, if you want to train your sartorius.. and what you do doesn't hurt you or any other part of your anatomy... then do it. Nothing wrong with extra work... as long as you r doing squats and deads for legs as well as leg ext, curls, lunges, etc etc..

IN IRON,
BB-

For sure. I have been trying to find the happy medium between endurance and strength training for some time. Its an endless process. I do make sure to make deads, squats, and the such a priority.

Again, thanks for all the advice, gents. I'll keep at it and let you know if any crazy shit happens.

BamBam
08-19-10, 1:56 pm
For sure. I have been trying to find the happy medium between endurance and strength training for some time. Its an endless process. I do make sure to make deads, squats, and the such a priority.

Again, thanks for all the advice, gents. I'll keep at it and let you know if any crazy shit happens.

Check out elitefts.com for their newest article on "Top 10 Ways to Know if You Are Training"

Jumprope, hill sprints, sprints, and PROWLER work is key..

Big Bay
08-21-10, 1:27 pm
Check out elitefts.com for their newest article on "Top 10 Ways to Know if You Are Training"

Jumprope, hill sprints, sprints, and PROWLER work is key..

Thanks for the article suggestion. It has some good points and advice.

BamBam
08-23-10, 11:03 am
Thanks for the article suggestion. It has some good points and advice.

The guys over at elitefts r true hardcore team like we are here at ANIMAL. No bullshit, nothing fancy, just get it done. I live on the FORVM and their website while I am at work

IN IRON,
BB-