PDA

View Full Version : The Dog Days of Iron

IRN-NML
08-05-10, 8:00 pm
It's hot. The humidity feels heavier than the weight you're pressing. The fan in the gym is more annoying than useful. The Ipods may be blasing rage, chaos and mayhem, but the Animals in the gym move more like beasts of burden. First lift warmup set, set one, and by set two you've broken a good sweat.

Rep the weight, add more pies, repeat and repeat til you know it's time to move onto the next burden. Take a slug of w/o drink and some rest. Tortured looks; even on the big guys and knowing nods have replaced much jawboning. An outsider would question your sanity for paying for this. Your job as an Animal is not to question, but to just lift and at some point it will end.

Later, after showered, fed, rested some, you reflect and think "That was good.". Tomorrow comes another session. "Bring it on!" you say.

Firedrake
08-06-10, 1:12 am
Tru dat.

Well spoken, brother.

D-Kev
08-06-10, 1:34 am
I like what you have written and can identify with the imagery described.

Although I tend to lift in the evening, it's still a bit hotter than usual...

While some of my usual gym rat buds don't hit the gym as often in the summer, (i guess they have better things to do? ha) guys like us continue to put in the work.
Yea it's hottt and girls are out in their summer clothes, many viable excuses to coast.

Maybe some are content with being ripped up at the beach at 145 pounds, and thats fine if it's their goal...
I for one, Am looking forward to 'that summer', where I've reached a decent size at a minimal bodyfat. Sure, a sentiment like that is definitely in the back of my mind as well as many lifters in this game. I know I've put in a lot of work and have much, much more work to do.

It's summer, I don't question it...I am already sweating when I step outside, why not lift?
Whereas this past winter, I missed a few sessions due to the east coast snowpacolypse, snow ain't a problem this time around. Rain or shine, us animals get it in.

Legacy
08-06-10, 8:05 pm
Tortured looks; even on the big guys and knowing nods have replaced much jawboning.

Funny you bring this up, plenty of days I can remember just finishing a set and as you sit on the bench sweat dripping off your face you look up and see another animal brother coming into the gym and all you have to do is nod and there is an isn't understanding of what is to come before the both of us.

IRN-NML
08-08-10, 10:03 pm
Here's another example of the iron drive; albeit more than fifty years ago.

http://musclememory.com/showArticle.php?ma010616

Firedrake
08-08-10, 11:24 pm
Here's another example of the iron drive; albeit more than fifty years ago.

http://musclememory.com/showArticle.php?ma010616

I liked that so much I shared it with my facebook Wall.