PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil

J-DOG
08-08-10, 10:18 pm
This could be a silly question or one that has been asked already but i am trying to up my clean sources of fats in my diet and have read that a number of animals add good old Olive Oil to their meals. I know Ox used to be big on this and still is i think.

My question is what type of Olive Oil (is their a preferred type or brand) and how much is commonly used? I am already taking Omega to cover my bases and havein the past used Udo's oil which covers Omega,3,6,9's also. This is very expensive to use though which is why i am asking about normal Olive Oil.

Thoughts and opinions or past experiences are very welcome.

JD

Legacy
08-08-10, 10:40 pm
Not sure about olive oil. I like macadamia nut oil because it has a high smoke point, keeps the nutrients there. I think it tastes better too

J-DOG
08-08-10, 10:45 pm
Not sure about olive oil. I like macadamia nut oil because it has a high smoke point, keeps the nutrients there. I think it tastes better too

Thanks Legacy I was just thinking of adding a Tablespooon to my meals but not actually cooking with it.

Have you ever just added any sort of oil to your meals before like that? But now that you mention Macadamia oil i am sure it would taste a whole lot better than straight olive oil.

JD

Sean_Warrior
08-09-10, 7:58 am
I'm using Almond oil at the moment. taste pretty decent. If your not cutting, try adding some red meat and leaving the fat on. that'd boost the fats in your diet.

Legacy
08-09-10, 9:38 am
Thanks Legacy I was just thinking of adding a Tablespooon to my meals but not actually cooking with it.

Have you ever just added any sort of oil to your meals before like that? But now that you mention Macadamia oil i am sure it would taste a whole lot better than straight olive oil.

JD

I add olive oil to things like pasta when I make a big batch of it because it keeps it from sticking together, but thats really the only time I add it without cooking with it. Sometimes if I need more in my diet, I will just snack on some bread with a side of oil and dip it.

PORTERHOUSE
08-09-10, 9:55 am
I add olive oil to things like pasta when I make a big batch of it because it keeps it from sticking together, but thats really the only time I add it without cooking with it. Sometimes if I need more in my diet, I will just snack on some bread with a side of oil and dip it.

I do that too. You ever get the special olive oil dipping spices? Friggin' delicious.

naturalguy
08-09-10, 10:56 am
With olive oil, you want to get Extra Virgin. It is a good source of fats.

msktyshha
08-09-10, 12:16 pm
go with 100% virgin olive oil....now remember there are many brands that there bottles say olive oil on them but when you look on the ingredients it says olive oil, pomace oil, some veggie oil etc. Go with 100% virgin olive oil. I heard this pomace oil is some low quality of olive oil, so i stay away from it.

Howitzer
08-09-10, 12:30 pm
Sup bro. Personal experience and conventional wisdom. Add the oil to your diet gradually, and do it on a full stomach or you will have the shits, period. My mom's prescription for constipation is two tablespoons of oil first thing in the morning followed by a glass of water. Usually has you pooping inside the hour, so if you're not having a problem, take it slow with the oil.
Awesome supplementation though. It is good for you.

Aggression
08-09-10, 12:39 pm
Sup bro. Personal experience and conventional wisdom. Add the oil to your diet gradually, and do it on a full stomach or you will have the shits, period. My mom's prescription for constipation is two tablespoons of oil first thing in the morning followed by a glass of water. Usually has you pooping inside the hour, so if you're not having a problem, take it slow with the oil.

Truth. Start off slow and work your way up with the amounts.

wedge
08-09-10, 3:09 pm
Awesome supplementation though. It is good for you.

Found this out the hard way, even knowing this going in. Take your time with it, as Howitzer indicates.

venusstephen
08-23-10, 1:52 am
I am agree macadamia nut oil is best oil. It has many benefits like:
1. Helps reduce the production of trans fatty acids.
2. It have naturally high smoke point (400-450 °), making it a versatile cooking oil. Olive oil has become popular in recent years for its positive qualities, but the macadamia nut
oil has a smoke point is much higher and does not lose its nutritional value at high temperatures.
3. It has 1:1 Omega-3 and omega-6 oils and also contains antioxidants. Proponents point macadamia nut oil to studies showing that switching to this
oil reduces the risk indicators of heart disease.
4 Good oils such as macadamia nut oil can help you feel full longer, reducing the tendency to avoid eating and can not prevent the symptoms of acid reflux in developing countries.