PDA

View Full Version : Forearms

Zeroid
08-09-10, 1:28 pm
Can somebody tell the best forearm exercises, i been doing a bunch of forearm workout but i dont see too much change

Tony
08-09-10, 1:32 pm
Can somebody tell the best forearm exercises, i been doing a bunch of forearm workout but i dont see too much change

How often are you training them and how many exercises bro? I think you may be overtraining them. I rarely even train them. They take a lot of heat during the weak from nearly every lift you perform. They get plenty of reps and sets! even carrying the 120's back to the rack is a bit of a workout. This may seem like strange advice, but I'd say lay off them a little bit, avoid overtraining, maybe throw in a couple exercises like reverse barbell curls and behind the back wrist curls on arms day, but other than that, let those boys RECOVER.

Aggression
08-09-10, 2:34 pm
I only hit them directly on arms days. As Tony said, they get stimulantion on a daily basis and more specifically on back day and when shrugging. After an arm session, I'll do the following:

BB wrist curls on a bench
super set w/
Reverse db wrist curls

- 3 sets of 15-20 and I'm done.

Check this article out: http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=225&section=training

prowrestler
08-09-10, 3:09 pm
perfrom reverse curls with a slow tempo, or the biceps will take over. 3x10

then some wrsit curls/extensions. 3x15 reps

Legacy
08-09-10, 3:21 pm
My forearms are almost the same size as my upper arms unfortunately. Part of that reason is because I believe having strong forearms act as a base for other exercises you do. For me I hit forearms twice per week. Usually I end up doing behind the back wrist curls and half rep reverse grip ez bar curls. When I do switch it up I will do wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. That being said, from my experiences I got the best growth doing behind the back curls superset with half rep reverse grip ez bar curls. Really gave my forearms that deep heavy look, especially from the sides. Nothin like having a nice set of meat hooks.

Aggression
08-09-10, 3:28 pm
Nothin like having a nice set of meat hooks.

Amen

Cstlfx
08-09-10, 4:55 pm
Fat Bar exercises. My favorites include rows, deadlifts, cleans, farmer's walk/static hold, and curls. Squeeze the crap out of the bar, as hard as you can throughout the lift.

Jzepp
08-10-10, 1:09 am
My forearms have not grown in years. I think they are a bodypart like calves..you are either genetically gifted with them or you are not.

Legacy
08-10-10, 9:20 am
My forearms have not grown in years. I think they are a bodypart like calves..you are either genetically gifted with them or you are not.

Or you need to train them at a high intensity and do it CONSISTENTLY and they will grow. Don't use genetics as an excuse.

Necromatrix
08-10-10, 1:51 pm
Or you need to train them at a high intensity and do it CONSISTENTLY and they will grow. Don't use genetics as an excuse.

Agreed. They are just another muscle group so treat them the same. If your quads stop growing what do you do? Change routines, wieghts, reps etc. One path will not work forever.

Deathride
08-10-10, 9:15 pm
My forearms have dramatically grown without direct work.....I blame this on heavy deads, lots of pullups/rows and hammer curls :-D Haven't done a wrist curl in many a moon!

Zeroid
08-19-10, 12:25 pm
my forearms are sore as hell after an intense week of working them out at the end of each session, and after 6 months of direct training i must say strict reverse culrs have given me the best result. my forearms are not that big, i mean i just turned 18, but the trainig has given me new strength

Big Bay
08-19-10, 1:41 pm
How often are you training them and how many exercises bro? I think you may be overtraining them. I rarely even train them. They take a lot of heat during the weak from nearly every lift you perform. They get plenty of reps and sets! even carrying the 120's back to the rack is a bit of a workout. This may seem like strange advice, but I'd say lay off them a little bit, avoid overtraining, maybe throw in a couple exercises like reverse barbell curls and behind the back wrist curls on arms day, but other than that, let those boys RECOVER.

I agree. I use to train my forearms directly for a long time, with no benefit. I stopped completely and they just started to grow. Now, I occasionally work them directly 1-2 times per month. Every since I started that they got stronger, and my other lifts improved as well.

Redbeard
08-19-10, 2:52 pm
I figure forearms probably don't need much, just different from what they're used to. Forearms, like calves, are used every day for rapid, rhythmic, intermittent, and repetitive movement often carried by their own momentum (typing on this keyboard for instance). So instead give them slow, deliberate movements, with peak contraction under heavy weight. And, like has been said, if you're gripping heavy weight with them for the rest of your lifts you're already using them in ways you don't during the rest of your day anyway (otherwise you'd already have Popeye arms)

C.Coronato
08-19-10, 3:52 pm
I train them in a big set fashion where i do 4 exercises back to back, i do them every arm day. I have been doing them liek that for the past 6+ years, they have been a regular in my arm development. I think my forearms have grown drastically in that time.

SpankyC
08-19-10, 4:32 pm
Hammer Grip Chin Ups will stimulate the most fibers thus making your forearms grow, also controlled underhand movements, like chins, curls will def help. (Controlled, Intensity, Range of Motion is key.)

Sprint
08-20-10, 7:21 am

Agree 100%

Rare I do much direct forearm work. As mentioned, they get worked substantially on most lifts as long as you're doing your free weight stuff & not sticking to the shiny machines.

Zeroid
08-22-10, 5:08 pm
i think i will stop doing forearms every fucking day, i will take tony's advice only work them out once in a while, but go dangerously heavy when i do work them out. maybe do hammer curls with my maximum weigth or reverse wrist curls(25reps) 4 sets, and no damn rest.

S. Clarida
08-22-10, 5:12 pm
A good set of forearms is hard to find! lol

But in all serious, I train mine 2-3x a week. It's a small bodypart and since it's used so much during the day, I think they can take the direct beating in the gym. When I hit a front double, I want my entire arm from my bicep all the way down to the wrist to be in shape.

I do typically 2-3 exercises, 3-4 sets.

Ex:

Barbell Wrist Curls to the front supersetted w/behind the back
DB Wrist Curls
Reverse Barbell Curls

I also think you can get a good bit of pump when you train heavy with other movements that utilize grip, such as a BB row or DB row. Those are just an example of movements that require you to grasp something for a long period of time.

Sprint
08-22-10, 8:41 pm
Lat pulldown drop sets. Run the rack, dropping the weight pin by pin, until you've done upwards of 8 sets.

Do this & tell me your forearms aren't pumped to fuck.

Give it a whirl.

prowrestler
08-22-10, 8:45 pm
http://www.t-nation.com/testosterone-magazine-640?s=indexTitle#!building-the-death-grip