PDA

View Full Version : Tips an Advice on becoming a FullBack for football

ZombiePower
08-12-10, 4:47 pm
I need tips and advice about becoming fullback i know a fullback needs running speed and power ive seen short chubby but stocky guys play fullback ive seen tall and skinny guys play full back ive seen it all i just wanna know what i have to do my grades werent good last which was freshmen year so i cant play 1st sememster so i have around 5 months to get big and lose weight to become a aggresive no fear,powerful running back.
where im currently at is bad but i have 5 months:
245 pounds
my four forty is 5.40
bench press is 145-160 havent really maxed yet
havent squatted yet
havent power cleaned
any more info just ask.

G Diesel
08-12-10, 5:13 pm
3-4 days a week of heavy, consistent, thorough weight training with proper form. Blast each bodypart with the basic compounds once a week and then let it grow.

3-4 days a week of purposeful running--for endurance and condition, for speed and explosiveness, plus agility and skills work.

Learn the position. Learn the game. Become a student of the sport and your position. Read. Watch footage.

Eat properly but eat like a growing athlete. High protein, complex carbs, good fats plus fruits and veggies eaten consistently over the course of your day. Eat for your goals but still enjoy your life.

Get your grades up and focus on school, it is so much more important than it probably seems at the moment.

Peace, G

Big D
08-12-10, 5:18 pm
i played fullback in college. (1AA school) and i couldnt say anything differnt than what G said.

The first thing i can say is get your grades up. if you cant get on the field than you busted your ass for nothing.

then...

1. set up goals.
2. set up a plan to reach your goals
3. train your balls off
4. clean up your diet
5. RUN

anything else let me know.

ZombiePower
08-14-10, 5:06 pm
Thanks im currently using fb trainign guide the coach gave me ill let u guys know if i need anything else

ZombiePower
08-15-10, 11:10 pm
im having a problem with doing cardio but i wanna lose weight for speed i fucking hate it is thee anyway to stop from losing muscle while doing heavy cardio?

Big Wides
08-18-10, 6:53 am
im having a problem with doing cardio but i wanna lose weight for speed i fucking hate it is thee anyway to stop from losing muscle while doing heavy cardio?

As a fullback I would concentrate more on speed bursts rather than long cardio sessions. Granted you will need conditioning work but instead of going on miles and miles of runs, maybe do some 110m sprints followed by 40yd sprints. Also, when doing cardio to make it fun practice the essentials of the fullback position, like running downhill (simulating hitting the hole), pass patterns (if there are any in the offense) and the like.

To avoid muscle loss, which to me comes from long runs sip on aminos before and after cardio.

What is your program's conditioning test like? That will be the true way to work in doing cardio. But again, it's mid-August so you should be in camp condition

ZombiePower
08-18-10, 11:37 am
As a fullback I would concentrate more on speed bursts rather than long cardio sessions. Granted you will need conditioning work but instead of going on miles and miles of runs, maybe do some 110m sprints followed by 40yd sprints. Also, when doing cardio to make it fun practice the essentials of the fullback position, like running downhill (simulating hitting the hole), pass patterns (if there are any in the offense) and the like.

To avoid muscle loss, which to me comes from long runs sip on aminos before and after cardio.

What is your program's conditioning test like? That will be the true way to work in doing cardio. But again, it's mid-August so you should be in camp condition

well once a gain my grades were bad last year im cleaning my act up last year i was just too much got bullied so i stood up for myself and fought or lashed out and the teachers actually annoyed me onpurpose so my grades went dowhill so i cant do anything school football related until 2nd semester so i have 4 months work my ass off in school and in the gym

ZombiePower
08-20-10, 9:13 pm
any specific workouts? for strength explosion and i need acceleration on my takeoff

ZombiePower
08-20-10, 9:14 pm

thanks

TXPWRLFTR
08-24-10, 10:03 pm
First and foremost, get the grades up.
Second, as a fullback, know you are to be the lead blocker and very seldom will you get to touch the ball...the fullback position is like the linebacker...you gotta be a little off in the head...lol

As far as speed goes, if you are pushing yourself in the weight room, push the same on the field. You have to be able to cover 3-5 yards as fast as you can to get the block.

Various speed drills I had my players do are lots of cone drills, ladders, intervals in sprints, tire pulling, prowler, and anything that required you to be fast on your feet.

A good basic drill is to set up 3 cones no more than 3 feet apart and side step over them as fast as you can and repeat...big key in speed training is how fast can you have hip and knee flexion then transfer it over to extension. Remember that you will be in a 3 or 4 point stance and the hips and knees will already be in the flexed postition...once you take off you have to be explosive and really push off one foot and pull the other up fast...and repeat...as a tip from your stance...NEVER NEVER stand straight up from the snap! If you do this you will be met by the 2 tech or blitzing backer or the end will peel your gap!

Train and train smart and make sure you are eating well and make sure you get your rest.

Hit me up with a PM and I can give you some speed drills to do...and another important thing.....BECOME FLEXIBLE!!!!! STRETCH!!!!!

TXPWRLFTR
08-24-10, 10:29 pm
Article for you to check out
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/triple-extension-is-important-for-all-athletes/

ZombiePower
08-30-10, 7:34 pm
someone needs to erase this post Thank You everyone for your help but got inspired by a guy in the gym he was gvving me a training session about being a defensive lineman appreciate it everyone the tips that were given about stretching and explosivness are working out though thanks

ZombiePower
09-06-10, 2:34 pm
someone needs to erase this post Thank You everyone for your help but got inspired by a guy in the gym he was gvving me a training session about being a defensive lineman appreciate it everyone the tips that were given about stretching and explosivness are working out though thanks

yeah i got lazy and bored of slow success got my mind back on track for full back my true goal been doing all of the workouts you guys suggested and im gettign faster and more athletic everyday keep up with the posts and advice please and thanks

P Diesel
01-25-11, 6:41 pm
yo brotha, i played more football then i care to remember, mostly defensive end but outside linebacker in teh arena league. i remember those days tryin to get my 40 time faster and get my weight up at the same time. how old r ya? that plays a big part in the advice i would give. having been there myself and trained athletes of all levels for years this is second nature to me.

strength will come with age my man, focus on ur lifts and technique burt dont swet the weight to much. i coach the #1 ranked high school powerlifting team in teh country, trust me. if u wanna lose sum babyfat and get more athletic, nuthin gets u in shape for football more then playing basketball, the explosive movements and cardio are perfect for that. ur speed and agility training is just as important, unfortunately speed doesnt just come with age, u gotta work on it every chance u have religiously. hit ur power moves; bench, squat, clean and push press...those are ur basics and u wanna build the rest of ur workout aroudn them. dont worry about bein pretty, strong and fast is what u want...theres lots of big pretty muther fuckers gettin lit up and ran over in high school and college. focus on the task at hand, the rest will follow...hit me back i can def give u some more tips along the way my man. stay focused

Crave
01-25-11, 7:51 pm
hey man im a senior in high school right now, ive played strong safety and fullback for the past 7 years and started on varsity as both all four years of high school at my big high school in Georgia. (not trying to sound cocky, just letting you know my background). just like everyone else has said, compound lifts and a proper gaining diet will really help. But the biggest advice i can give you is to stay away from the party lifestyle with alcohol and drugs because there is no way you can be involved in that stuff and still become successful in football. trust me i tried, and it completely failed and almost ruined my career.

Are you lifting with the team? i know with our school we have team lifts before practice/weekends/summer. make sure you go to all of them because the coaches know what theyre talking about. form a good relationship with the coaches; if they know how committed you are to becoming successful they will help you and give you all the advice they have. you will really need to focus on eating during the season too. a protein/carbs recovery shake after practice will help you not lose muscle after rigorous practice. G Diesel's advice really summed up all of the training advice i could give you. if you need anything more specific dont hesitate to ask man. best of luck to you