PDA

View Full Version : Grip placement

IRN-NML
08-15-10, 3:02 pm
You need to come clean on what your desires are...do you want to have a well developed inclined bench press? Or do you want to have a well developed chest?

Size begets strength and strength begets size...but only under the correct conditions and when the athlete in question hase clearly defined athletic goals.

the things you must concern yuorself with are:

1. Grip placement

2. Bar placement

3. pressing posture and exercise alignment

I will ge tthat essay out soon; it will provide the clarification you require.

Good luck.

MACHINE

Borrowed this from another post & looking fwd to the essay asap unless I've missed seeing it somewhere.

The question about whether you want a well developed incline or well developed chest and the 1. point- grip placement has caught my interest.

I'm reading that as a grip that allows for pushing the most weight the easiest or a grip that hits the pecs more directly; and is tougher. I've found a big difference in a fist length; having the thumbs on the outer rings (easier) vs the pinkies on the outer rings (tougher).

Keeping in mind Machine's 'size begets strength and strength begets size' line, for the so so bencher of any type (myself) is it better in the long run to choose the grip that will be toughest directly on the pecs first; even if it means lowering your numbers further? It's sounding like 'work your pecs so your pecs can work the strength'.

My chest development is pretty good; credit dips and pushups more than anything, but it's interesting that grip placement (for some of us) can be more critical than realized. FWIW, the same grip placement mechanics could be applied to the seated/standing press as well.

Anyone make good improvements or break plateaus simply by changing their grips?

Thx to Machine for the tips quoted and those in another thread on incline benching.

Sprint
08-16-10, 6:15 am
Looking forward to seeing what this one throws up.

BamBam
08-16-10, 11:09 am
Moved my grip to a competition style bench grip with my pinky covering the power ring (might also try to move my middle finger or index finger over too), and my bench went up about 20-30 lbs. Board presses shot up and my shoulders feel great after benching and my elbows don't hurt nearly as much because I'm not breaking the bench plane with my elbows.

I will use some "broken" quotes from Dave Tate..

"Wider grip on the bar will reduce the stress on your shoulders..."
"Shorter bar path means more weight.."

2 things I always keep in mind when benching (sometimes pressing in general).

IN IRON,
BB-

Redbeard
08-16-10, 12:13 pm
Okay, I'm not caring so much about the weight (the numbers) as I am about adding mass, so what is optimal? I've always had in my mind that at the bottom of the lift my forearms ought to be perpendicular to the ground, which for me has my ring fingers on the outer rings. Last week I watched Dave Tate do bench with a narrower grip , but I know those are powerlifting points. I just want bigger tits.

BamBam
08-16-10, 12:18 pm
Okay, I'm not caring so much about the weight (the numbers) as I am about adding mass, so what is optimal? I've always had in my mind that at the bottom of the lift my forearms ought to be perpendicular to the ground, which for me has my ring fingers on the outer rings. Last week I watched Dave Tate do bench with a narrower grip , but I know those are powerlifting points. I just want bigger tits.

Dave uses a narrow grip for tri's.. a lot of guys think narrow grip means "put your hands together" and it doesnt... he puts one finger on the smooth part of the bar annd then grips. This is from what i have seen from all of his training blogs, vids, etc etc. And as far as having bigger "tits" that is on you and all of the things that go into training.

Redbeard
08-16-10, 12:56 pm
Well what I meant was I don't care so much about adding X pounds to my bench through mechanical advantage so much as I do about following the proper form that's going to let me tax the intended muscles and minimize risk of injury. As far as growing, yeah I know, more weight, loads of good food, good recovery. Bench technique is particularly important to me because I've tweaked my neck several times benching and so my chest development is lagging as I've had to lay off the chest for weeks sometimes to recover. Interestingly enough, removing aspartame from my diet seems to have helped a ton with this. That said, I don't want to take risks - proper form is important.

BamBam
08-16-10, 1:00 pm
Well what I meant was I don't care so much about adding X pounds to my bench through mechanical advantage so much as I do about following the proper form that's going to let me tax the intended muscles and minimize risk of injury. As far as growing, yeah I know, more weight, loads of good food, good recovery. Bench technique is particularly important to me because I've tweaked my neck several times benching and so my chest development is lagging as I've had to lay off the chest for weeks sometimes to recover. Interestingly enough, removing aspartame from my diet seems to have helped a ton with this. That said, I don't want to take risks - proper form is important.

Have you watched any of Dave's newest series "So You Think You Can Bench?" ...

This might help alot with staying healthy, adding weight, and also growing becasue as you find your groove then your training will be optimal to your goals

Redbeard
08-16-10, 7:00 pm
Holy Shit that series is awesome. Thanks!

Redbeard
08-17-10, 10:40 am
Okay BamBam. I watched the video and applied what I learned this morning. I know I said I don't care so much about the numbers but I added 14 lbs to my 1RM. It didn't feel like it hit my pecs quite as directly as I'm used to but I did feel like I was using my whole body. And of course, being my first time applying some of this stuff there's a lot of room for improvement. And of course the subsequent exercises hit my chest pretty directly. And when I say the numbers don't matter, I mean what the number is doesn't matter as long as it keeps going up. I think this will help a lot. Thanks again.

BamBam
08-17-10, 3:56 pm
Holy Shit that series is awesome. Thanks!

Okay BamBam. I watched the video and applied what I learned this morning. I know I said I don't care so much about the numbers but I added 14 lbs to my 1RM. It didn't feel like it hit my pecs quite as directly as I'm used to but I did feel like I was using my whole body. And of course, being my first time applying some of this stuff there's a lot of room for improvement. And of course the subsequent exercises hit my chest pretty directly. And when I say the numbers don't matter, I mean what the number is doesn't matter as long as it keeps going up. I think this will help a lot. Thanks again.

No need to thank man and glad you liked them. Dave is a wealth of information and I think I have read every article on his website and am constantly asking him questions. I added his technique changes to my training and I love it.

IN IRON,
BB-