PDA

View Full Version : What drives u..............

The House
08-16-10, 8:21 am
Fill in the blank what drives you to do what we do... I will start it off with a few things that motivate me...

The fear of being normal drives me..

Seeing others that can't train hard because of physical problems drives me to work harder because we have the ability to and therefor we should...

To provide for my family drives me...

Looking in the mirror drives me...

Because most people don't have will power and I do drives me...

Knowing that I might motivate others to push their limits in training and in life drives me...

mahscles
08-16-10, 8:56 am
People who are stronger and bigger than me drive me...

People who joke around when they are working out rather than being serious drive me...

The motivation of the higher powers of bodybuilding drive me...

The thought of being a freak drives me...

Animal drives me...

Loomis
08-16-10, 9:05 am
The need to be better…

The desire to keep up with my boys

The snide comments from my past

Being compared to lazy fuck coworkers

The fact that I’m the heaviest male in my family

To prove the nay-sayers wrong

To accomplish something that I never thought I would

The fear of getting my ass whooped by an inmate

mritter3
08-16-10, 9:11 am
the desire and fire to push past limits drives me.....

wanting to be healthy drives me....

the mirror def. drives me...

people who say i cant drives me to prove them wrong....

naturalguy
08-16-10, 9:16 am
I wake up everyday and I want to be able to look in the mirror and know that today I am going to try harder than yesterday

Big C
08-16-10, 9:40 am
......the fear of being small, normal and weak drives me.

Our bodies have so much potential.......i wanna live up and take advantage of any potential I may have.

Legacy
08-16-10, 10:05 am
The ability to push the fuckin' envelope and create something that society deems abnormal.

Fighter26
08-16-10, 10:25 am
Wanting to shut all the people up who laughed at the lifestyle

Wanting to get to a point where people stare at what the human body is capable of becoming

The love of having that 1.5 hours to yourself where it is just you and the iron.

sparticus
08-16-10, 10:25 am
Being asked "why would you ever want to be that big!?" Motivates me

AmIeviL
08-16-10, 10:33 am
The pain i have in my heart.
The challenge of obtaining the best physique i can.
Doing what others only wish they could.
Its all i have.
last but not least the house!

musclealchemist
08-16-10, 10:47 am
the fact that i was over weight and i was teased day after day about it. The fact that i dont want to take out my anger on anyelse but the weights.

BamBam
08-16-10, 11:17 am
Wanting to prove everyone wrong drives me...

Wanting to shut everyone up who used to pick on me when I was fat and small drives me...

Never wanting to be normal and settling on some ideal of being complacent and normal drives me...

To one day provide a good life for my wife and kids drives me...

To make a difference in the lives of others in a positive way drives me...

Knowing there are people out there who would kill to do what I do for 5 minutes, let alone for the rest of their lives, but can't due to a "handicap" drives me...

Knowing I am a fucking FREAK to the outside world drives me..

Knowing I will never be good enough, but maybe if I lift and train hard enough I might be worth something to someone drives me...

Because I want to drives me...

My family and friends drive me...

This brotherhood drives me...

My papaw and best friend drive me... (RIP)

The power of those who have traveled the road before me and those who walk beside me drive me..

The love of a few people drive me...

The fact I am blessed and God is watching my every move and he has commanded me to be strong drives me...

And.... the fact that when I die I want it to be one BIG fucking coffin drives me...

IN IRON,
BB-

rev8ball
08-16-10, 11:30 am
What drives me?

Me

Nothing and no one else.....

Big C
08-16-10, 11:31 am
What drives me?

Me

Nothing and no one else.....

Very nice.

S-Temple
08-16-10, 11:36 am
The desire to be bigger :)
Because I am willing to push myself to the limits to make ends meet.
Challenge myself to do better and perform better.

charlievanriper
08-16-10, 11:38 am
[QUOTE Bam Bamn and everyone else has this pretty much covered. I made some adjustments to BB' list accoring to what has impacted my life.

My Wife and those I love and that Love me Drives me...

God and the Mission he put me on to serve him drives me...

Wanting to prove myself to my Deceased Father drives me..

Wanting to prove everyone wrong drives me.

Wanting to shut everyone up who used to pick on me when I was small drives me...
That dont happen anymore
http://i36.tinypic.com/361s6.jpg

Never wanting to be normal again or having to settle on Average ever....

To one day provide a good life for my wife drives me...

Knowing there are people out there who would kill to do what I do for 5 minutes, let alone for the rest of their lives, but can't due to whatever thier personal issue or Reason.....

Knowing I am a fucking FREAK of Nature to the outside world drives me..

Knowing if I lift and train hard enough I might be influencial to someone Else drives me...

Because I Choose this Life...

Friends and Associates drive me...

This Legions brotherhood drives me...

The power of those who have traveled the road before me and those who walk beside me drive me..Yep I had to keep this one Bam Bam it sent shivers down my spine and I totally agree..

And last I chose this Mission I am on and the completion will be upon my Death bed.

BamBam
08-16-10, 11:42 am
[QUOTE Bam Bamn and everyone else has this pretty much covered. I made some adjustments to BB' list accoring to what has impacted my life.

Wanting to shut everyone up who used to pick on me when I was small drives me...

Knowing there are people out there who would kill to do what I do for 5 minutes, let alone for the rest of their lives, but can't due to whatever thier personal issue or Reason.....

Knowing if I lift and train hard enough I might be influencial to someone Else drives me...

The power of those who have traveled the road before me and those who walk beside me drive me..Yep I had to keep this one Bam Bam it sent shivers down my spine and I totally agree..

And last I chose this Mission I am on and the completion will be upon my Death bed.

Fuck yeah dude...!

IN IRON,
BB-

Redbeard
08-16-10, 11:43 am
The desire to be more human than human drives me

The desire to defy my age drives me

The quest for beauty drives me because I cannot demand beauty in the world around me if I'm unwilling to start with myself.

dannynb
08-16-10, 12:00 pm
My Lord and Savior.....

the fear of being average....

the fact my kids think I'm superman.....

my family drives me.....

the fear of failure drives me.....

The House
08-16-10, 12:35 pm
In 20 years I don't want to be the old guy that says hey I looked like that when I was your age kid.. I want to be the old guy that all the kids are saying that old guy is jacked and I want to be like him..

dannynb
08-16-10, 12:37 pm
In 20 years I don't want to be the old guy that says hey I looked like that when I was your age kid.. I want to be the old guy that all the kids are saying that old guy is jacked and I want to be like him..

exactly!

boyer77
08-16-10, 1:11 pm
I have 2 choices every morning when I wake up... I can get better than I was the day before or I can go backwards.

intoodeep25
08-16-10, 1:29 pm
I have 2 choices every morning when I wake up... I can get better than I was the day before or I can go backwards.

so true...i love the days where im just not feelin it...makes me grab my sack and get it done anyway, what a feeling

BamBam
08-16-10, 1:31 pm
exactly!

x2

look at Louie Simmons.. that dude drives me... 63 yrs old and is a fucking MONSTER

MonTanaMusCle
08-16-10, 2:23 pm
Im scared to death of getting teased and picked on like I used to growning up. Im 28 yrs old and honestly that shit still haunts me.

Im driven so I can stand up for myself, and if need be the abiltiy to stand up for someone who needs some help so they never have to feel the way I did. . .

Loomis
08-16-10, 2:43 pm
I love this place…. All too often do you hear the haters talk their shit… Neanderthal, meathead, juicer, brute…. but the truth is we are real men, whose love for family, friends and devotion shine throughout these pages. We push our selves not to intimidate, abuse, and punish others, but to strive for something greater within ourselves.

ontheEDGE
08-16-10, 3:16 pm

x3! I'm not too good with words...this works. Very nice.

Brick By Brick
08-16-10, 3:21 pm
Weights and plates. More weight, more plates - driven by lifting progressively bigger numbers while still maintaining a healthy bodyweight. Getting stronger day by day. Not dying an early death like my father, or living an unhappy life as an elderly person, always at the doctor, and taking a boatload of meds.
And not getting my ass kicked by inmates.

Fearless Rabbit
08-16-10, 4:13 pm
Results drive me.

Madcat
08-16-10, 5:03 pm
A lot of my drive comes from the Pros and the Guys/Girls who suffer through their diets, work, and still manage to look like they do. I strive to find my balance and still have not been able to fulfill it.

The fact that people like The House have a family, a career, and still have time for training and living the lifestyle, I think it's the dedication I dream of having.

All the people on the board drive me, knowing that they can do it, why can't I? I know I will never be the biggest, or most muscular, but if I can just get better, and keep getting better.

MELTDOWN
08-16-10, 9:22 pm
Jacked up family gatherings and too many "coulda, shoulda, woulda" stories from relatives.....

Wife Inc by my side and 2 young lads catching up to me....

Seeing where I've been.....

Knowing where I want to go.....

Carry On !!!

smoothballer
08-16-10, 10:18 pm
The fear of falling back into my youthful unhealthy lifestyle...

The power to prove myself and others wrong...

Knowing the I CAN change my appearance for the better...

Always researching and finding out that there are different and sometimes better ways to make myself better...

To get those looks like I am not normal, but then people wondering why I get results...

Big Wides
08-16-10, 10:22 pm
The work ethic that has been instilled in me since I was a young lad

Never settling for the status quo

Wanting the best of what is out there, always going for that brass ring

Moving forward in life with something I can be proud

Taking pride in all of my efforts, be it in the gym or out of the gym

RENFRO
08-16-10, 10:42 pm
The materialistic who thrive on their rich lifestyles drive me...I have built something none of them can ever buy.

The want to protect the people I love drives me...

Dingo
08-17-10, 12:01 am
My Lord and Savior.....

the fear of being average....

the fact my kids think I'm superman.....

my family drives me.....

the fear of failure drives me.....

Amen to that, i hope my son one day thinks i'm superman and hope that my wife always will.

charlievanriper
08-17-10, 3:08 am
Days like this and the FREAKIN Fellings that rush thru your body after hitting something previously believed out of reach.

http://i37.tinypic.com/wv8phe.jpg

and here's the Video

View My Video (http://tinypic.com/m/bfnoty/4) todays PR Lift

Lunatic001
08-17-10, 3:12 am
My DAUGHTER!!!

Grue
08-17-10, 3:52 am
My reflection in the mirror…
The big oaks in the gym and the need to look like that…
Animal…
My Big Ass Animal Shirt…
The fact that I feel alive after a hard weight lifting session…

BringTheCarnage
08-17-10, 6:04 am
Cocky punks drive me...
the little boys in the gym that do 5 curls and think there big shit, the punks who bully kids because they think nobody can stop them.

Looking in the mirror and only seeing imperfection everyday drives me...

The need I have for hitting the gym everyday drives from the anger inside, a way to express and a way to succeed.

charlievanriper
08-17-10, 12:05 pm
And the biggest most important thing that drives me other than God and my Wife is the daily activity in the gym that causes men and women of all ages to walk up to me an slap me on the back and tell me how much of an inspiration I am to them, that they cannot believe what I do in the gym day in and day out without regard to any pain, or set back I always get in some kind of intensity work every day.
Others well you know the haters, they call me a bragart and egotistical well maybe I am, but again I post accomplishments and show vids to show other of my age and those that are getting thier that it can be done and not to slow down or fear the aging process as the aging process does not influence your Training or capabilities only your own fear and hesitation influences your capabilities.
I may not impress a lot of the younger crowd ( as one guy just as an example posted a vid after I did on utube yesterday and did 465 x 4, but went 3 inches from his chest which may be bb style, but its not a full clean Bench) so some of you can lift more, but just remember this under 30 any lifts you do In my opinion are expected, impressive yes but really if your healthy and an athlete your lifts should be impressive every day. for an under 190 aging man like me and others or a heavy weight like my bro Jim at 55 to be doing what we do this is beyond impressive and again in my not so humble opinion worthy of bragging rights. Jim is an inspiration to me and many others and I am sure he gets it in person also ( maybe a little more humble than I, but that comes with age and growing up ) lol dont take offense Jim, I just have not had any reason to grow up and I just dont seem to be aging so the humbleness just aint come yet. LOL

Hammer7234
08-17-10, 3:00 pm
What drives me is the fear of being normal.

All the people who tell me I can't do something drives me.

I dont want to die and my name b forgotten. That drives me.

The fact that I am so big I get noticed everywhere I go drives me.

LIFE IS A FREAKSHOW!!!

Symbiote
08-17-10, 5:24 pm
What drives me is people saying that I'm not good enough, people that don't cherish the gifts they've been given, people who take advantage of others instead of taking responsibility, and lastly never being satisfied drives me to be the best that I can be.

Mr. Dead
08-17-10, 5:29 pm
Knowing the deep dark hole that I was in, and a desire to never go there, again...

The love of competition... Especially against the man in the mirror...

The state of the obesity epidemic in my field of work... (Nursing...) And, the desire to help others...

Enjoyment of my time at the gym...

Crematia
08-17-10, 6:10 pm
The most important thing that drives me is seeing how unhealthy my parents are and all the health problems they have because of their lifestyle choices.

Proving to myself, my coach, and everyone else that I'm good enough to be up there with the rest of the athletes drives me.

Getting better, faster, and stronger every day drives me.

And lastly, you all drive me. Reading your journeys and posts helps quite a bit on days where I might otherwise be a slacker. I come here, read, and the desire to be the best I can reignites within me.

Thunder Chicken
08-17-10, 6:16 pm
the feeling of knowing im bigger then some people! i love the rush when im working out even if i add 2lbs to something im happy with that! my body is art work and im trying to make it the best looking one around!

Cellardweller
08-17-10, 8:01 pm
really seeing myself in the mirror drives me.

shoveling snow off my driveway at the same time as my neighbor snowblows and beating him drives me.

wanting to be better when I'm 40 than when I was 20 drives me.

wanting to keep up with my teenage kids drives me.

and yeah, reading everyone's PR's and athletic accomplishments on this site drives me. thank you brothers.

charlievanriper
08-18-10, 12:55 am
Okay here's another reason that i do what I do, Looking in the mirror and seeing this development! :)

http://i36.tinypic.com/8zqi6u.jpg

Ironfreakshow247
08-18-10, 2:21 am
All those who have come before me and will come after me drives me
I will not be forgotten drives me
Not walking through life aimlessly following the crowd drives
The guys who walk around the gym in there xs armani shirts to look big drives me
For every person who wanted to be great or excellent at something worked there ass off and failed drives me " i wont fail"
Because i've let to many people down before drives me
When every person tells me thats stupid why would you wanna live that way and look that way
And finally because i've been blessed. Blessed with health, genetics,athleticism, a great support system and i won't take this for granted because history is laced with people who did far more with far less

Fearless Rabbit
08-18-10, 3:08 am

That dont happen anymore
http://i36.tinypic.com/361s6.jpg

Days like this and the FREAKIN Fellings that rush thru your body after hitting something previously believed out of reach.

http://i37.tinypic.com/wv8phe.jpg

and here's the Video

View My Video (http://tinypic.com/m/bfnoty/4) todays PR Lift

And the biggest most important thing that drives me other than God and my Wife is the daily activity in the gym that causes men and women of all ages to walk up to me an slap me on the back and tell me how much of an inspiration I am to them, that they cannot believe what I do in the gym day in and day out without regard to any pain, or set back I always get in some kind of intensity work every day.
Others well you know the haters, they call me a bragart and egotistical well maybe I am, but again I post accomplishments and show vids to show other of my age and those that are getting thier that it can be done and not to slow down or fear the aging process as the aging process does not influence your Training or capabilities only your own fear and hesitation influences your capabilities.
I may not impress a lot of the younger crowd ( as one guy just as an example posted a vid after I did on utube yesterday and did 465 x 4, but went 3 inches from his chest which may be bb style, but its not a full clean Bench) so some of you can lift more, but just remember this under 30 any lifts you do In my opinion are expected, impressive yes but really if your healthy and an athlete your lifts should be impressive every day. for an under 190 aging man like me and others or a heavy weight like my bro Jim at 55 to be doing what we do this is beyond impressive and again in my not so humble opinion worthy of bragging rights. Jim is an inspiration to me and many others and I am sure he gets it in person also ( maybe a little more humble than I, but that comes with age and growing up ) lol dont take offense Jim, I just have not had any reason to grow up and I just dont seem to be aging so the humbleness just aint come yet. LOL

Okay here's another reason that i do what I do, Looking in the mirror and seeing this development! :)

http://i36.tinypic.com/8zqi6u.jpg

We got it the first time.

charlievanriper
08-18-10, 9:57 am
And as I think of more reasons, I'll continue!!!!!!

Fearless Rabbit
08-18-10, 12:38 pm
Don`t forget the pics.

Firedrake
08-18-10, 4:23 pm

Damn straight -- that's what I'm workin' on!

What drives me?

Getting back what I once had. I want to squat 405 and bench 315 again.

Proving to my ex-wife that I did not wind up a "useless cripple" after back surgery.

Wanting to look like a middle-aged Superman.

The call of the iron. I'm serious -- I have a deep and abiding need to get my hands on iron as often as possible. I can't explain it. Maybe it's because I grew up in Bimingham, Alabama, which used to be a steel town, and has a huge statue of Vulcan, the forge god, looking over it -- which I used to stare at during English class in 9th grade every day.

My life has been surrounded by it -- whether barbells, or swords and armor, or guns -- I must have some connection to it in my life, or I whither.

I'm driven by knowing that what I'm doing can't even be attempted by the majority of men my age, or having been through what I've been through. I'm driven to overcome -- I WILL NOT be defeated.

I'm driven by the regard and brotherhood I've found here on the Forum. This place has been refuge, resource and the occasional kick in the ass I've needed. Ever since I saw my first "Animal" ad, I've known that was who I was inside, whatever mask I wore for everyone else.

Firedrake
08-18-10, 4:28 pm
. . . for an under 190 aging man like me and others or a heavy weight like my bro Jim at 55 to be doing what we do this is beyond impressive and again in my not so humble opinion worthy of bragging rights. Jim is an inspiration to me and many others and I am sure he gets it in person also ( maybe a little more humble than I, but that comes with age and growing up ) lol dont take offense Jim, I just have not had any reason to grow up and I just dont seem to be aging so the humbleness just aint come yet. LOL

No offense taken, Charlie, and thanks.

I'm not sure I'm "humble" so much as . . . well, afraid that, if I do start to believe my own publicity, I'll become a bigger ass than some pros I've met. I know I've done very well in the two years I've been back in the gym after healing from back surgery, and I'm proud of that, believe me. Hell, my "wallpaper" on my phone screen is of me holding the two trophies from my show, with Tanya holding on to -me-.

I also know, from looking at the guys who bested me, and the ones I've seen at my age in the Masters Nationals, I have a loooonnnnnnggggg way to go. I'll get there. My goal is the Masters Nationals in 2014 -- the year I turn 60. So, I appreciate all the compliments, truly -- and I hope I can continue to be an inspiration to others, as they all (including you, you loud-mouthed Arizona freak of nature <grin>) are to me.

Big C
08-18-10, 4:46 pm
Don`t forget the pics.

This. ^^^

Shukin
08-18-10, 6:57 pm
Im scared to death of getting teased and picked on like I used to growning up. Im 28 yrs old and honestly that shit still haunts me.

Im driven so I can stand up for myself, and if need be the abiltiy to stand up for someone who needs some help so they never have to feel the way I did. . .

Honesty like this drives me more than anything else...
This forvm drives me...
people saying, " are you really 42?" drives me
Gandhi, Martin Luther king, HH Dalai Lama, and Nelson Mandela drive me..
Random people asking me for advice drives me...
Every one in this forvm drives me, honestly..
Right now Higa Monster drives me...
A story like Kai Green's drives me...
Knowing that I only go around once drives me.

charlievanriper
08-19-10, 10:16 am
No offense taken, Charlie, and thanks.
I hope I can continue to be an inspiration to others, as they all (including you, you loud-mouthed Arizona freak of nature <grin>) are to me.

LMAO Thx Jimmy me Boy, A Toast to our success brother. Now where the hell did I stash that bottle of Scotch!!!!!!!

Oh and Yes sireee That I am and Dam Proud of it. Loud, Obnoxious, Arragant and probably the funnest guy you'll ever hang out with lol.