PDA

View Full Version : Knee wraps elbow wraps, sleeves etc etc

SizeMatters
08-16-10, 9:32 am
i searched and dident find anything........I was talkign to my boy in the gym the other day and he is a strongman and we were talkign about knee wraps for squats, knee sleeves, eblow wraps, shit like that now i am trying to move as much weight as possible at all times do things liek this have a place for me? I've read that knee wraps can add up to 50 lbs on your squat? is this true or is it something that if i dont know how to use it it will cause more harm then good?? idk id jus liek to see everyones imput on the elbow sleeves wblow wraps knee sleeves wraps all that kinda shit.

mritter3
08-16-10, 9:39 am
all those workout accessories def. have a place in the gym...i use wrist wraps on anything upper body cause my wrist has always given me problems....i dont use elbow sleeves but i have seen people use them and the majority of them say its due to their tendonitis, now i use knee wraps but only for my heavy squats and my heavy hack squats....i dont know about adding 50lbs to your lifts due to them, but i have had bad knees for years and i dont want to take the chance of an injury due to high weights...just my 2 cents.

SizeMatters
08-16-10, 9:45 am
yeah i thought 50lbs sounded liek alot also, i have extremely baddd tendonitus in my left elbow and i guess ill have to pick up a neoprene sleeve for it i gotta try something

Legacy
08-16-10, 9:57 am
I think a lot of it is personal preference. I use to use wrist wraps, knee wraps, elbow wraps, and a belt. I thought it was doing good, but for me I realized it did no good. I am a big believer in training your entire body, and I don't see a point to get support from an inadament object unless you have a particular reason (like an injury) to use it. Why take good stress off the body? If you can train your body to handle the weights your doing your far better off then redirecting the stress. That being said, there are a lot of strongmen who use wraps which make sense cause they are dealing with ridiculous poundages.

You just gotta figure out if you need the extra gear and determine your reasoning behind it. Do you have an injury? Are you dealing with ridiculous poundages you are not sure of? Or do you just wanna be the guy in the gym that wears everything under the sun when he does barbell curls? Put thought into it and come out with a reason and you'll know if you need them.

BamBam
08-16-10, 11:04 am
I think a lot of it is personal preference. I use to use wrist wraps, knee wraps, elbow wraps, and a belt. I thought it was doing good, but for me I realized it did no good. I am a big believer in training your entire body, and I don't see a point to get support from an inadament object unless you have a particular reason (like an injury) to use it. Why take good stress off the body? If you can train your body to handle the weights your doing your far better off then redirecting the stress. That being said, there are a lot of strongmen who use wraps which make sense cause they are dealing with ridiculous poundages.

You just gotta figure out if you need the extra gear and determine your reasoning behind it. Do you have an injury? Are you dealing with ridiculous poundages you are not sure of? Or do you just wanna be the guy in the gym that wears everything under the sun when he does barbell curls? Put thought into it and come out with a reason and you'll know if you need them.

Nuff said... hit it on the head Legacy.

I use knee sleeves (rehband) that provide no structural support, just keep my joints and ligaments warm, wrist wraps, and a belt (only used on SQ and DL). This works for me and I don't need much else in terms of "ARMOR" and won't train with a shirt or briefs or anything until I do a meet. SO, in the end it is up to you.

SizeMatters
08-16-10, 1:45 pm
yeah, i do agree with you guys i cant tell you how many tools i see in the gym wearing 10 sweatbands elbow wraps straps wrist wraps and hell whatever the fuck else they casn fit on their body