PDA

View Full Version : strongman stone boulders

Joseph V
08-17-10, 6:52 am
i was of saving a portion of my earning all the up to december of late and see if i can buy a 220 pound boulder liek the strongman compeitors use..

anybody knows a great company that makes these..im just looking for the smallest one for now which is like 220 i think?

Legacy
08-17-10, 9:39 am
Here ya go. These are fairly cheap and they have a number of different weight sizes. All you have to do is make them yourself. Scroll down past all the tacky paste and you'll see it.

http://www.prowriststraps.com/atlas_stones_atlas_stone_molds_strongman_slaters

mcbeast
08-17-10, 10:05 am
i was of saving a portion of my earning all the up to december of late and see if i can buy a 220 pound boulder liek the strongman compeitors use..

anybody knows a great company that makes these..im just looking for the smallest one for now which is like 220 i think?

I dont have too much experience training with stones, but I can tell you that they are pretty tough. I DEFINETELY would not start off with a 220. Get something in the mid 100's to get your technique down, then move on up from there. Contact HIGA MONSTER for more info, he might be able to help ya out as well.

Thrawn
08-17-10, 10:09 am
I dont have too much experience training with stones, but I can tell you that they are pretty tough. I DEFINETELY would not start off with a 220. Get something in the mid 100's to get your technique down, then move on up from there. Contact HIGA MONSTER for more info, he might be able to help ya out as well.

x2!
Form and getting used to lifting those stones is pretty essential.
Start with a much lighter stone. And do accessory work that will compliment well for lifting stones. Not only is it TOUGH strengthwise, you will have to get your stamina up too.
Contacting Grant Higa is an excellent idea; he's got plenty of experience and is always willing to help with tips and tricks!

HIGA MONSTER
08-17-10, 10:14 am

Hey bro, here is a great place to buy molds: http://www.slatershardware.com/

Steve Slater makes most of the stones that you see in the USA and also the stones at the ARNOLD STRONGMAN contest.
My molds are from Slater's.

The one thing to be aware of is that the 18" mold of just concrete will weight about 245-250 lbs.
Hope this helps!

HIGA MONSTER

IronWilson
08-17-10, 11:10 am
If you want something a little cheaper and easier to train the stone lift:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=2640

I don't know if it would work the same though.

Joseph V
08-17-10, 6:46 pm
wow..thats alot of help and adviced i got here lol..im mean i know im just turing 19 and all but stregnth trainnig has always been in my roots everr since i started back in high school and i think a strong thick physique looks great

HIGAM: thanks alot bro,..ill make sure to start off with a much lighter weight something like mid 100's as previously written by EXCESSIVE in this thread..

and alot of other people,..and one thing that reallygot me to atleast wanna start thinking of tdig these exercises every so often when i start doing them is travis ortmayer, derek poundstone, and ofcourse the image of just having a pwerful physique sits wellinto my mind

i also think that grippers would be a great choice too so that i can always be improving on my grip

BamBam
08-17-10, 7:32 pm
I can get them made for about 50-60 bucks. Dunno where you live or whatever but I am getting a few made for myself for this price...

BigChrisF
08-19-10, 6:30 am
If you want something a little cheaper and easier to train the stone lift:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=2640

I don't know if it would work the same though.

Don't buy that. Just buy a cheap barbell and take the sleeves off. Then you have two.

BamBam
08-19-10, 2:03 pm
Don't buy that. Just buy a cheap barbell and take the sleeves off. Then you have two.

I have one of those... good tool to get but the stones are a different monster all together.

IronWilson
08-19-10, 2:55 pm
I have one of those... good tool to get but the stones are a different monster all together.

Thats what I figured. I didn't know how well lifting what is essentially a cylindrical shape would prepare you for lifting stones. I would imagine it's a lot different.

BamBam
08-19-10, 3:10 pm
Thats what I figured. I didn't know how well lifting what is essentially a cylindrical shape would prepare you for lifting stones. I would imagine it's a lot different.

It is a good thing to start with, helps build a "grip" on that smoother surface, but the stones can roll and do things that pole doesnt do lol