PDA

View Full Version : Your Routine/Split: Need Help, Suggestions & Advice?

Pages : [1] 2 3

PuSHiT89
01-11-07, 8:29 pm
let me begin...i absolutely love this site. i take my animal handbook with me everywhere i go, and read the articles daily to stay motivated.
I'm 17 years old...soon to be 18 and live in Southern Illinois. I live for football and weightlifting which is why i need help. I was voted honorable mention as a junior for Outside Linebacker in my confrence for football and i am doing everything possible to get first team and All South honors. I have been lifting since i was 5 with my dad, so im not a weak guy. This past summer i broke two vertabrae in my back wakeboarding and i was out for half the season, and squatting, leg press, and cleans kill me, so i avoid those at all cost.

I would like to focus on legs chest shoulders and back...which im sure everybody does. My team lifts three days a week and i cardio in between. I'm looking for a routine that will push me over the edge...to get me that All South honor, i have the drive and the determination, now im looking for the recourses. I'm sick right now, but this monday im going to start the routine. I take Animal Pack in the morning ever day and am going to start using a N0 Maximizer and Creatine Burst to aid me in my journey, could i get some help on when to take my supps?

Fellas im ready for whatever, im not messin around i want to be the best. I think this is the site and these are the people that can help. Thanks

MELTDOWN
01-11-07, 8:38 pm
http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&id=294

Four days a week but very solid. I'm sure someone will kick in with a 3 day split, which is alot to get accomplished, IMO.

Brute Force
01-12-07, 11:12 am
let me begin...i absolutely love this site. i take my animal handbook with me everywhere i go, and read the articles daily to stay motivated.
I'm 17 years old...soon to be 18 and live in Southern Illinois. I live for football and weightlifting which is why i need help. I was voted honorable mention as a junior for Outside Linebacker in my confrence for football and i am doing everything possible to get first team and All South honors. I have been lifting since i was 5 with my dad, so im not a weak guy. This past summer i broke two vertabrae in my back wakeboarding and i was out for half the season, and squatting, leg press, and cleans kill me, so i avoid those at all cost.

I would like to focus on legs chest shoulders and back...which im sure everybody does. My team lifts three days a week and i cardio in between. I'm looking for a routine that will push me over the edge...to get me that All South honor, i have the drive and the determination, now im looking for the recourses. I'm sick right now, but this monday im going to start the routine. I take Animal Pack in the morning ever day and am going to start using a N0 Maximizer and Creatine Burst to aid me in my journey, could i get some help on when to take my supps?

Fellas im ready for whatever, im not messin around i want to be the best. I think this is the site and these are the people that can help. Thanks

At 17, even if your focus is bodybuilding, I would lift more like a powerlifter. The strength you gain now is the strength you will keep for the rest of your life. Many bodybuilding greats (coleman, jackson etc) started in the powerlifting world.

Focus on compound multi-joint movements in the 4-8 range. Do deads, squats, bench, standing barbell presses, power cleans, high pulls, clean and jerks, etc. Focus on getting as strong as possible (with good form of course), and the size will come easier later on. Also, Don't neglect bodyparts.

EAT LIKE AN ANIMAL TOO!!! It has been proven that simply eating tons of food can help you gain muscle, without exercise!

RedIron 392
01-12-07, 11:34 am
If you look at animalpack's main page you will find a lot of routines and splits.
I had the broken back thing myself and all I can say is go slow and light and in time it will come back. Leg extensions and leg curls until your back gets right. I would recomend trying Pump. Where in Southern Illinois are you? I am also in Southern Illinois and fish a lot at Kinkaid Lake.

Later

PuSHiT89
01-13-07, 5:15 pm
im in carbondale. that routine looks nice

RedIron 392
01-13-07, 11:12 pm
You got a good gym to train at?

boar
01-13-07, 11:52 pm
yo whats good pushit.

I got into the game of weight lifting the same way you have bro. I played high school football and trained my ass off and then discovered a life long passion for the iron. Here's my current training that I just started. It is part of the westside powerlifting program. This program has developed some of the strongest power lifters in the country. It combines high intensity low volume and high volume and low intensity. There are two different types of workouts. There are speed days which involve doing light weight at explosive speed. Then there is the heavy lift day. On heavy lift days, a variation of a powerlift is performed.

Here is my current workout

speed bench press workout
bench 50% of max 8x3 or 10x2 20 sec break between sets
tricep work any type of elbow extension exercises like skulls
traps/lats any type of pullling exercises lat pulldown, any type of row
light delt work dumbell raises

speed squat/deadlift workout
squat 50% of max 8x3 or 10x2 same for deads
hamstring work good mornings, stiff legged deadlifts, lounges
quad work leg press, leg curl, explosive squat jumps
calves toe raises

make sure to balance out quad and hami lifts

After a week of speed workouts, increase percentage of max to 55%, then 60% the following week, 65% and then up to 70%.

The first speed workout should not be a hard lifting day but should leave you short of breath. The premise of the speed workouts is the basic physics of force=mass x acceleration. The theory is by lowering the weight considerably, the athlete is able to generate more speed. Speed enables one to get past sticking points in the max lifts.

Here comes the good heavy lifting days

Bench max effort workout
perform a variation of bench press like decline press, incline, military, board press, floor press, etc.
use reps schemes like 10,8,5,3,3 or work up to a weight that can not be performed for more then 3 reps. single reps at 90%-100% of max can be performed for multiple sets also
Complimentary lifts should target triceps, traps, lats, and delts

Squat/Dead max effort workout
Do Variation of a squat: front squat, overhead squat, box squats, smith machine squats, etc.

Do a variation of a deadlift: sumo dead, romanian, stiff legged, high pull etc.

Do a low rep high weight set scheme

I hoped this helped man. If you got a question, shoot me a message. Best of luck on your season. Hit the weights hard.

This site has more info on the workout. http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=46

Skeeg
01-16-07, 6:17 pm
so im getting knee surgery next week for my torn ligaments. so i wont be able to workout my legs in the gym anymore for a few months. but i still want to go and work my upper body, abs, and back. im looking for a 3day a week thing M/W/F. and my goal is basically to add mass and build strength. what kind of routine would you guys recommend.
im limited to what machines to use, as i workout at school we only have free weights, pull down machine, hammer strength pull down and shoulder press. have incline bench, decline, flat, tons of free weights, and hopefully a cable cross machine when its fixed.

as for the lifts i can do since im at school i kinda made a list for those that i do now for each body part. but i don't know the best way to split it up, or to do it like a full body routine and do it all. i personally think splitting it up will let me gain the most as i will be more "fresh" but do you guys think?

Shoulders
bent lateral delt raises - 3sets of 10
side raises - 3 sets of 10
front raises - 3 sets of 10
Shrugs - 5 sets of 10

Back
Chin ups - 30 reps
Barbell Rows - 4 sets of 8
Lat Pull downs - 4 sets of 8
Seated Rows - 3 sets of 8

Biceps
Running the Rack Curls - 6 sets of 6
Barbell 21's - 2 sets

Triceps
Cable Pushdown - 6 sets of 8
Skull Crushers - 3 sets of 8
Rope Cable Pushdown - 3 sets of 8

Chest
Flat Bench press - 3 sets of 8
Inline Bench press - 3 sets of 8
dumbbell flies - 3 sets of 8
dumbbell pullovers - 3 sets of 8

Abs
Incline Sit ups - 4 sets of 20
Hanging leg raises - 4 sets of 20
Side Bends - 4 sets of 8

Deadlift
01-16-07, 6:32 pm
Damn sorry to hear about the knee man, shit happens. Just hang in there and you'll be back in the game in no time, just be smart about recovering.

About your split, well you said it yourself bro, I'd suggest the M/W/F split if it could work, I'm not sure if you have a weight training class you go to or if you have full access to the gym there everyday. Well lets say you do have access, the M/W/F would be good.

What you could do is split it up, 2 body parts per day. Heres and Example.

Monday - Chest & Tri's
Have all your exercises here, reps/sets.

Wed - Back & Bi's

Friday - Shoulders & Ab's

That split should give you enough rest to recover from previous workouts and you should be good to go the next time you get ready to hit that body part again. Like you said, your main goal is to gain strength and gain muscle mass. So training full body everyday wouldn't really be the best idea, as to you would most likely overtrain which isn't what you want. Well theres my 2 cents bro, something simple that should work, see what else the guys have to offer.

Good luck with everything man, hope the knee gets back in shape, and good luck with the lifting bro, remember, stay strong and focused.

Skeeg
01-16-07, 6:37 pm
i play football, got hit in the knee with 2 minutes left in the game lol torn acl, mcl and meniscus, 1st game also so i missed whole season. as for getting in the gym, the football team works out those days, and only those days i have access. if you think it would benefit me i could try and see if i can lift with the other sports on Tuesdays and Thursday? 4 day split with wed. off during the week?

Deadlift
01-16-07, 7:15 pm
Ya, you could also do that. I don't know how long you have been lifting but sure bro, you know your body so go for it.

If you want to do a 4-day split being M/T/ W=OFF / T/F ...Then thats fine.

You could do this.

Mon - Chest alone
Tue - Back Alone
Wed - Off
Thur - Shoulders and Abs
Frid - Arms

Skeeg
01-16-07, 7:22 pm
been lifting for football since the 8th grade, so about 3 going onto 4 years. no proper diet, program, or anything els though for that long so i haven't really gained much of anything. im just now getting into the lifestyle with high protein diet, and just learning as much as i can, and trying to learn what i react best to and designing my routine around that.

GrizzlyLB
01-24-07, 3:42 pm
Sup fellas,

Ok so I have been wanting to start a new routine for the past week or so and I'm still at a loss for what I should pick up on. let me fill you in a little on what I've done in the past.

for the most part I've always done a 2 workout, 4 day split. Workout A on Day 1/4, Workout B on Days 2/5 with rest on days 3/6/7 then repeat.

last year I did a 5 day split for some time and it worked fairly well, but I had a small problem with it. I did this...
Day 1 : Chest/Tri
Day 2 : Back/Bi's
Day 3 : rest
Day 4 : legs/abs
Day 5 : Shoulders/Tri
Day 6/7 : rest

My hang up on that workout was that I didn't feel I was getting the most out of each week. my intensity may not have been at it's peek through my workouts though. I just felt that I wasn't getting the most because I'd be sore for a day or two on each muscle group but then I didn't feel it for the rest of the week. I thought I should have been in the gym hitting the muscle again, since I was taught on a 2x per week scheme.

Earlier this year I did a 4 day rotation program that was good for the first few weeks, but it took it's toll on my body mentally and physically and I had to actually take a week off because I felt I was beginning to over train it looked like this:
Day1 = chest/tri/shoulder
Day2 = Back/Bi/Abs
Day3 = legs
Day4 = rest
and repeat... I think the fact that I only gave one day or rest, and that I was just starting into full time college kept me from recouping properly and led to me being constantly fatigued so as I said earlier I took a week out and got into my current program.

I went back to my roots this time around with a workout similar to what I started with, but it seems that something is different. I don't know whether I have gotten to a point where I have more intensity so I don't need to do as many sets like I used to, or that I'm using weight that is too high for as many sets that I'm doing or maybe I'm just trying too many sets...

right now my workouts look like this
Day1 = Chest/back/bi/tri/shoulder (basically an entire upper body)
Day2 = calves/quads/glutes/hams (entire leg day)
rest
day4 = day1
day5 = day2
rest
rest
repeat.

the problem I come into is I'm losing energy towards the end of the first workout and I'll admit that I'm doing a lot of sets on that day. I usually do e exercises per body part and 3-4 sets of them so 9-12 sets per part, 5 parts = too many sets...

What I am asking of you is this, does anyone have a good mass building workout that will work each muscle group twice a week? Do you think I should let go of the 2 a week deal and work more into a split routine where I do each 1 time per week, or should I go and try the old on I had last year again and give it a try as far as a split goes?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
take it easy,
-Grizz

Big Wides
01-24-07, 3:46 pm
with mass ive always had luck with the compound movements to keep it simple at 5x5, espically in the olympic lifts. i would also keep the auxiliary exercises to around a 3x8 set sceme but again like with all rep schemes it all depends on the indvidual

bobbyj654
01-24-07, 4:26 pm
i think that if you can stimulate a muscle pretty hard, then it should only be done once a week, twice a week means overtraining, if you can do it twice a week then it means you aint hittin it hard enough the first time, and what does this mean to you? you wont get as much growth as you possibly can

GRUNT
01-25-07, 10:09 am
I am currently training one body part a day with two days a rest a week. I am getting bored with it and wonder if going to splits would be a better idea. If so which one?

I am currently 6 foot 1, 225 lbs, 13% BF.

I just need a shake up before I leave the middle east for my two weeks of leave in May. I am in the military and want to come home to my wife looking hell of alot bigger then what i came. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ghost
01-25-07, 10:21 am
if you are in the corps, they should have you doing a shit ton of PT..lol

your body gets used to the routine you are in, and your muscles can get in that Rut that we all hate.
mix it up. every once in a while hit each body part twice a week, or throw in a set of 100's...always go balls to the wall.

go hard or go home.

Strength and Honor

GRUNT
01-25-07, 10:57 am
Yea the Corps makes you run a shit load making it harder for gains since all i do is run or we strap all our gear on and run forever and a day. I will take your advice and run with it (see i am brainwashed to say run).....

SEMPER FIDELIS (ALWAYS FAITHFUL)

Giant Killer
01-25-07, 11:30 am
I don't know if this will be usefull to ya' but I drive on a two parts a training day-SuperSetting style routine (eg. flyes SS curls)-gets 2 parts slammed and worked up in the same amount of time (about 1 hour)
1)Chest/Biceps
2)Legs/Calves/Forearms
3)Day Off
4)Back/Abs
5)Shoulders/Triceps
6)Day Off
7)Day Off & repeat

grizzed
01-25-07, 11:32 am
I just need a shake up

If you really want to shake things up throw in 10 weeks GVT - 10x10 should give your body something to deal with.

I'm starting GVT in February ..... I'm looking forward to the ass kicking

GRUNT
01-26-07, 5:34 am
Thanks for the replies. I am going to go with your guys advice and shake it up a bit...

Matoltsy85
02-12-07, 8:58 pm
Hey

I was wondering if somebody who knows what their doing can put together a routine for me.

I'm 21 years old. About 5'7" at 155lbs.

My goal is to gain muscle mass, get bigger. I'm sick of being short and skinny.
I've been working out for about 4 months now. Monday-Friday, weekends OFF.

If somebody can make me a day by day split routine. or whatever, explaining what muscle groups on what day i should work out and what excersizes and sets and reps i should be doing at each excerise.I'm lookin to spend about an hour a day in the gym. and work 2 muscles groups a day.

This would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to whomever comes through for me!!

Remember, my goal is to GET BIGGER...thanks

deeder
02-12-07, 9:04 pm
There are lots of great routines on the animalpak website. At the top of the page towards the right click on training and you should find something to your liking in there!

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.

Maccabee
02-12-07, 9:47 pm
Sounds like you wanna grow brother. Make sure your diet is great, and use a bit of supps such as whey and a multi vitamin and all should go well. When it comes to working out you can get a routine right here from animalpak.com. However if it doesnt fit what you want pm later and i can help u out man.

focused
02-12-07, 10:59 pm
haha....bro be happy, i'm only 5'1 or 5'2....enjoy those few inches. haha

but anyway, check out BENCH LIKE AN ANIMAL PART II in the animalpak.com under a search, you'll gain some serious size and strength if you do it right. enjoy.

Arbalest
02-12-07, 11:19 pm
No, but you can search, and goto the animalpak website, view the routines, and then come back and post up what you think will work...

THEN, ask questions and recieve help... only way you'll learn.

BigTruck
02-13-07, 12:44 am
routines are the easy part bro -- you gotta have a good diet too. if you are trying to get big, get your diet in check first. you wanna make sure you are getting 2-3 grams of protein per pound of desired body weight. split your meals up into atleast 6 per day. cruise through the diet section here on the webpage.

here is the direct link to the animal routines: http://www.animalpak.com/html/sections.cfm?id=32

BigRagu
02-13-07, 12:46 am
Basically i'm looking for a new routine. I never want to step up on a bodybuilding stage nor do i ever want to enter a powerlifting meet. i like to be as strong as i look though. i have looked through the workout on this site and all look like there geared toward bodybuilding. anyone want to point me in the right direction.

right now i'm doing
m-chest bi abs
t-legs
w-off
th-shoulders tri abs
friday back calves
off
off

should i just stick to this and keep the core compounds in and train them heavy? also having a prob where to stick my deadlifts they usually drain me for the rest of my back workout

ransom.holland
02-13-07, 12:54 am
Basically i'm looking for a new routine. I never want to step up on a bodybuilding stage nor do i ever want to enter a powerlifting meet. i like to be as strong as i look though. i have looked through the workout on this site and all look like there geared toward bodybuilding. anyone want to point me in the right direction.

right now i'm doing
m-chest bi abs
t-legs
w-off
th-shoulders tri abs
friday back calves
off
off

should i just stick to this and keep the core compounds in and train them heavy? also having a prob where to stick my deadlifts they usually drain me for the rest of my back workout

Are you injuried?
Current experience level?

anselmo
02-13-07, 12:56 am
If you want to get bigger make sure you have all the compound exercises in your routine like the squat, bench, dealift, military press, and barbell row. I havent seen anyone get big doing dumbell bicep curls and tricep kickbacks.

BigRagu
02-13-07, 1:47 am
been lifting for about 3 years

and yes i can't squat currently because of a pulled hip flexor.. i think i did this going too low for my body on squats with crappy shoes

ransom.holland
02-13-07, 2:12 am
Current Workout

WeaponX
02-13-07, 2:24 am

right now i'm doing
m-chest bi abs
t-legs
w-off
th-shoulders tri abs
friday back calves
off
off

hey man just my personal preference, I would switch it and do chest an tris back and bis and do deads on sunday, give them their own day and go hard, if you feel too drained form them on sunday, i would say take monday off instead of wednesday... that would just be my advice, but everyone is differnet and you need to keep challenging yourself to grow..

And I know there is a seperate thread for this but I would get a trianing log to help yourself, you dont want to do the same weight every week, be proud of your gains and dont let yourself stop gaining, always try to go up, even that 2.5 lbs, bro, every gain is just that, a gian. You dont need to be a powerlifter, dont worry about anyone but yourself when yo step in that gym, eat right and grow!

Hope this helps,
X

hjayss
02-13-07, 2:51 am

right now i'm doing
m-chest bi abs
t-legs
w-off
th-shoulders tri abs
friday back calves
off
off

As far as putting in the parts are on the right day I guess I would have to see what you are doing on these days that is actually kinda like mines throw in a forearm work out with that back and calf sgit looks good. what are the excercises set, reps I would be glad to help bro.

BigTruck
02-13-07, 9:04 am
if you are doing multi part days, i would do:

d1 - legs
d2 - chest/tri (abs)
d3 - rst
d4 - back/bi (abs)
d5 - shldrs
weekends off

of course you can snoop around the animal webpage and checkout their routines. look in the top right corner of the page -- you see training? its right next to diet. in the training page there are a ton of resources.

let us know what you ended up going with.

oh -- and don't forget your diet. make every meal count.

good luck!

iceman1980
02-16-07, 12:07 am
hey guys, i kinda new at weightlifting only been at this about a year and a half, and i got a routine off of animalpak that i have been trying out for the last 10 weeks and figure it was time for a change. I have got some good gaines off this program, but some guys have told me that i should change up my routine every 6 to 8 weeks. I'm trying to get bigger as will as get stronger. I made some changes to this routine. I'm 27. 5'8. 235 lbs. I'm trying to eat the best i can.

This is my routine

Monday: Chest/Biceps

Flat Bench Press: 5x5
Incline Bench Press: 4x8
Incline Dumbbell Flys: 3x8
Barbell Pullovers: 3x8
Decline Bench Press: 4x8

Widegripe Barbell Curls: 4x8
Close EZ Bar Curls: 4x8
Dumbbell Curls: 4x8
Hammer Curls: 3x8
Reverse Barbell Curls: 3x8

Tuesday: Legs

Squats: 5x8
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 4x8
Leg Extensions: 4x8
Leg Curls: 4x8
Standing Calf Raises: 3x15
Seated Calf Raises: 3x15

Thrusday: Back

Deadlifts: 5x5
Barbell Rows: 4x8
Reverse Barbell Rows: 4x8
Dumbbell Rows: 4x8
Barbell Shrugs: 4x8

Friday: Shoulders/Triceps

Front Military Presses: 5x8
Rear Military Presses: 5x8
Bent Over Laterials: 4x12
Upright Rows: 4x12

Close Grip Bench Press: 4x12
Skullcrushers: 4x8
Tricep Extensions: 4x8

Could someone please tell me how this looks. I don't have a gym in my community to do my workout, so i do it all in my basement with free weights.
If someone got any suggestions or even a NEW routine that i can use it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

IRN-NML
02-16-07, 9:34 am
How's your diet & bf at that weight? Gains as far as muscle mass, strength? Olympic weights etc. at home?

You could pare each session down a lift or two or alternate from wk to wk ie barbell rows one wk & dumbell rows the next.

If you've made gains & it shows in the mirror, then that's good. You could also incorporate drop sets, supersets negs as well but again, you'll probably want to cut back on the number of exercises per bodypart.

Hope this helps.

iceman1980
02-16-07, 11:14 am
my diet is pretty clean, i have a couple of cheat meals in a week. My BF % is high, it's about 26%. It was high before i started weightlifting. I have made some pretty good gaines in strength, nothing like some of you guys.

Bench Press: 270 1 rep
Squat: 350 1 rep
Deadlift: 400 1 rep

Thanks for the ideas IRN-NML. It was very helpfull.

Big Wides
02-16-07, 11:42 am
for your chest day, incorporate flies at 3x10, and switch up between decline and dips every week to improve the lower part of your pec. other than that your numbers look solid bro

Buck Nasty
02-16-07, 11:50 am
your workout plan depends on what you wanna do. what you got is good for strength gains. if you wanna get bigger bring the reps. if you want to get retard strength more so than size or if you want size more than strength you gotta adj your workouts accordingly.

Argos
02-16-07, 12:28 pm
I have been where you are and something that helped me out was throwing in some explosive and concentration hold exercises every once and a while...since you are working out in your basement and all.

iceman1980
02-16-07, 12:41 pm
Thanks guys, all very helpfull.

Guardian
02-16-07, 11:34 pm
Solid routine there iceman. I'll just add what other guys suggested.

Here's my suggestion:
- on the back workout, i think 2 rows movement are enough (barbell and dumbell) since you've done deadlifts. Why not try chin-ups or pull-ups (pick one, i prefer chins), both can do wonder on your lats width and depth. It can replace the reverse barbell rows.
- on shoulders, add side dumbell laterals. It really hit hard the medial delts (the biggest part). It can replace upright rows, which i and many people think can be too much to your rotator cuffs.

Keep strong
GT

hjayss
02-17-07, 7:46 am
hey guys, i kinda new at weightlifting only been at this about a year and a half, and i got a routine off of animalpak that i have been trying out for the last 10 weeks and figure it was time for a change. I have got some good gaines off this program, but some guys have told me that i should change up my routine every 6 to 8 weeks. I'm trying to get bigger as will as get stronger. I made some changes to this routine. I'm 27. 5'8. 235 lbs. I'm trying to eat the best i can.

This is my routine

Monday: Chest/Biceps

Flat Bench Press: 5x5
Incline Bench Press: 4x8
Incline Dumbbell Flys: 3x8
Barbell Pullovers: 3x8
Decline Bench Press: 4x8

Widegripe Barbell Curls: 4x8
Close EZ Bar Curls: 4x8
Dumbbell Curls: 4x8
Hammer Curls: 3x8
Reverse Barbell Curls: 3x8

Tuesday: Legs

Squats: 5x8
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 4x8
Leg Extensions: 4x8
Leg Curls: 4x8
Standing Calf Raises: 3x15
Seated Calf Raises: 3x15

Thrusday: Back

Deadlifts: 5x5
Barbell Rows: 4x8
Reverse Barbell Rows: 4x8
Dumbbell Rows: 4x8
Barbell Shrugs: 4x8

Friday: Shoulders/Triceps

Front Military Presses: 5x8
Rear Military Presses: 5x8
Bent Over Laterials: 4x12
Upright Rows: 4x12

Close Grip Bench Press: 4x12
Skullcrushers: 4x8
Tricep Extensions: 4x8

Could someone please tell me how this looks. I don't have a gym in my community to do my workout, so i do it all in my basement with free weights.
If someone got any suggestions or even a NEW routine that i can use it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This workout is very good mass wise. You have made good gains then put yourself on a 10 to 12 week cycle then switch up the days you do certain body parts. Remmber on back day if you can get one of those pull up bars bro do some pullups. Pullups are a god send bro your back will thank you.
try doing the deadlifts on back day instead of leg day other than that it looks good especially if you have not hit the point of ? you know dont want to say that word around here bad word, but as the old saying gos if it aint broke dont fix it tweak it a little ha ha lol hope this helps.

iceman1980
02-17-07, 11:40 am
Thanks again guys.

KAZ685
02-20-07, 11:38 pm
hey guys what do you think of this routine? is there anything i need to change or is it good the way it is

monday:legs, abs
10 minute bike
squat 12,10,8,8
leg ext 12,12,12,12
hack squat 10,10,8,8
leg press 10,8,8,6

tuesday:chest,tricep,calves
warm up
flat bench 8,8,6,6
incline bench 8,8,6,6
flys 10,10,10,10
skull crusher 12,10,8,8
close grip bench 12,10,8,8
pushdown 12,10,8,failure

wednesday:off

thursday:back,bicep,abs
warm up
deadlift 10,8,6,4
barbell row 10,10,8,8
t bar row 8,8,6,6
pulldown 10,10,10,10
barbell curl 10,8,8,6
preacher curl 10,8,8,6
db curl 8,8,8,8

friday:shoulders,traps,calves
warm up
military press 12,10,10,8
front raise 10,10,10
side raise 10,10,10
bent over laterals 10,10,10
barbell shrug 10,10,8,8
rear barbell shrug 10,10,8,8
db shrug 10,10,10,10

Cyrus The Virus
02-20-07, 11:42 pm
On leg day you should do some exercises for your hams.

Kiwi129
02-20-07, 11:47 pm
A) The guy above is right, leg press and squat work the hams as a synergist, but not directly. Throw in some ham curls or stiff leg deadlifts.

B) I think you should throw in some lower reps for your compounds to increase the rate of strength gains. I feel really strongly about this if you've seen any of my posts, and for the last month or two and probably for at least a few months into the future I'm doing this. It really helps if you do these low rep (4 x 6 or 5 x 5) weeks and then cycle into some higher rep weeks with your newly gained strength. Try it if you want, if you don't it's cool... just my two cents.

Buck Nasty
02-20-07, 11:49 pm
On leg day you should do some exercises for your hams.

yep i agree. and it wouldnt hurt to add another high vol. set. like 15 reps to the beggining of squat. and on the auxillary work add a drop set. everything else is nice.

KAZ685
02-20-07, 11:58 pm
alright guys thanks

widdlewade44
02-21-07, 12:51 am
SLDL's can cover your hams. I think the routine is good, especially if you follow it for 4-8 weeks before changing up again. Peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Cheko
02-21-07, 9:50 am
Looks like a solid workout. Remember to change it up “It’s all good, just not all the time.”

IMHO you could add/rotate in Hams (like you have all day to workout). I like supersetting Romanian Deadlifts with a Leg Bicep Curl.

... then there's Forearms and Calves ... no wonder it takes me 6 days to hit them all...

IntensityJT
02-21-07, 9:41 pm
another leg exercise, and chest exercise i would say...but if it works for you keep going w/ it man

IRONADDICT45
02-22-07, 7:41 pm
i think that routine is not too bad but, too much volume for my taste...try it out for a month then take a nice week off then try some intensity techniques with compound lifts and lift 3 days a week, if you put in the dedication not only in the gym but in the kitchen i guarantee you'll find higher intensity training will build more dense thick muscle...its worth a shot bro

hjayss
02-23-07, 3:42 am
I would do chest and bis though you are splitting up those deads and squats really good bro I like that other workout and yeh you should be switching it up after about 4 weeks though.

RooRooTJ
02-26-07, 2:37 pm
I have been working out on and off for years now but have just started getting back into it hardcore. I am currently 6' 205lbs and have a pretty good build. I am trying to eat right and train right but think I maybe overworking myself. Here is my routine to date

Mon/Wed/Fri
Chest
Biceps
Triceps
Abs

Tues/Thurs
Back
Shoulders
Legs
Abs

I try to do cardio each day if only for 15 minutes. Tuesday/Thursday I also do a boxing class. I try to do 3 exercises for each body part using 3-4 sets and 10-15 reps. I have been seeing some definite progress, but am wondering if I am doing it wrong. Any advise will be appreciated

RooRooTJ
02-26-07, 2:51 pm
I should also add I am currently taking Animal Cuts and Pak. I am 26 years old, 6' and way about 205. I am currently at about 23% BF, or so the scale says, I think it may be less but not sure. I want to drop some of my excess body weight and get cut up. Eventually try to get into some amatuer comps. Any help?

deeder
02-26-07, 2:53 pm
You're working back and leg on the same day (aka the two biggest muscle groups) and you're working them less than your bis and tris (aka the two smallest muscles).

I suggest you take a look at some of the routines on the animalpak site... Click on the training link at the top right of each page.

Finding a balanced routine is important too bro!

billmd1334
02-26-07, 3:47 pm
Hey man, you're really killing yourself with this routine... you're working shoulders basically 5 days in a row (because you do use them a good bit with chest)... you're training legs and back on the same day... and those are the two largest groups.... my suggestion is this... if you want a 5 day split.. do something like...

Mon - Chest
Tues - Back
Wed - Legs
Thur - Shoulders
Fri - Arms

something like that... don't wanna hurt your progress from not giving yourself enough time to recover. Hope that helps.

Maccabee
02-26-07, 4:51 pm
I am packing on Mass right now, and the best program that helped my body to pack on Mass most was just hitting every bodypart once a week. This works for many as well. This is what I do:
Sun- Back
Mon- Chest (I know its on national chest day lol)
Tues- Arms
Wed- Shoulders
Thursday- Legs
Fri- Rest
Sat- Rest

Sir
02-27-07, 10:00 am
I see soooo many people with set training routines for each muscle group (with training logs n shit). Is a set routine worth it/helpful??? I only work off a split and make shit up as I go each day (4-5 motions per muscle group). Any input would be helpful. Thanx

Split:

Quads
Chest/some tris
Back/some bis
Hamstrings/calves
Shoulders
Arms/abs
Rest

www.myspace.com/tomselleckfanclub

USMC_KILL
02-27-07, 10:07 am
The log book is good for tracking progress, and knowing what you did on a certain day. But like you said, you should always switch up certain movement for different body parts. As far as the log book you will always have your staple exercises, such as bench, squats , and the likes, and its a great way to see your improvement. Just my 2 cents

Torque757
02-27-07, 1:04 pm
You should NEVER EVER switch a movement up unless you are NOT making progress on it, just like you should NEVER keep a movement that you are using the same weight and reps for more than 2 workout cycles in a row. That is where the logbook comes in. If you write it down, not only will you know when a certain lift is platueaing and therefor wasting your time, but you will have last workouts sets and reps to look at, and use it for motivation to try to top it, each and every workout trying to top the last.

NickSP
02-27-07, 1:18 pm
I used just a split for a little while once. I kinda liked it, it just felt good training instinctively but I went back to a set routine, and recently I've started using a log book as well, and I think it really does help. I mean you can still use instinct sometimes, any time you feel like throwing in a dropset, superset, etc. or whatever, or feel like switching something up here and there, but progress and what's working/not working becomes a lot clearer with a log, and it can kinda help motivate too.

Hollow
02-27-07, 1:22 pm
I find a log book is a must. Even when I am not working out, it gives me a chance to go over it, see where I might be struggling a bit and plan my next work out.

karmazon
02-27-07, 1:25 pm
I think routines are too mechanical. I have somewhat of a routine, but I change it whenever I feel necessary or beneficial, and I don't have any set exercises/rep ranges etc.

SAMSON
02-27-07, 2:12 pm
i use a log book religiously. i usually work on a set routine that i swith every 6-8 weeks. and like everyone else said, it helps to track progress and know exactly what u did last week, thus telling you what to do for this week. i find this very helpful, especially if i happen to miss a workout because i know what i did last.
even if not working on a set routine i still use my log book to know what i did and how well im progressing.

billmd1334
02-27-07, 3:00 pm
I'm about the only guy at my gym that carries a log book around... I do it so I can track my progress and remember what exercises I'm doing on a particular day... I try to keep my program the same for about 2 months and then switch it up... either the split, the exercises, or both.

Kiwi129
02-27-07, 7:47 pm
You kind of have to have some sort of routine... at least repeating the same exercises for at least a month or so to really track gains in strength (more reps or more weight), at least that's what I think. As long as your not doing some marathon workout you don't have to take the log book to the gym with you either. By the time I get home (10 mins...) I still remember all my reps and weights... most anyone could.

js71474
02-27-07, 10:03 pm
Try animal routine #9. Been doing it for 2 weeks now

krazysane
02-27-07, 10:17 pm
mine for this week has been

mon-arms/fore
tues- shoulders/abs
wed- chest
thurs- legs
fri- forearms again with tris
my back workout is mostly on a sat or sun

RooRooTJ
02-27-07, 11:38 pm
Try animal routine #9. Been doing it for 2 weeks now

I didnt even notice the training logs until now. Thanks. I am going to try this one with a little modifications. Have you noticed any good gains during your training? Any other positive feedback?

Sir
02-28-07, 11:22 am
I'm about the only guy at my gym that carries a log book around... I do it so I can track my progress and remember what exercises I'm doing on a particular day... I try to keep my program the same for about 2 months and then switch it up... either the split, the exercises, or both.

Isnt tracking progress more for powerlifting (which i've done), not bodybuilding? I'd say the mirror is the best way to track it. But have yall seen better results with a routine?

Hulk
03-03-07, 11:06 am
Hey guys my routine has gotten stale and i think i am at a plateau , That I am ready to bust through some plateaus.

I dont care if it 5x5,split,full

I want something Intense,that pushes me to the limit and beyond.
I want to focus of mass,size and definition. I want to pack it on and pack on strength like nobody business.
I want minimal cardio, maybe 2 days
And I dont want abs neglected

i have searched online and have done a lot of them with good results, but I want a little help.

point me to some sites or let me know hat rocked you

Thanks guys

Thanks

jadizt
03-03-07, 11:18 am
before u try this, have 2 to 3 days of rest.. let's say bench press.. choose a weight u fail at 10 reps.. have someone assist u another 10 reps.. do all body part twice a week and proper planning should lead u to training up to 6 days in a row.. hit back ur usual routine the next week for 3 weeks and check back again the next month.. it broke my plateau..

brewer
03-03-07, 11:50 am
You cam a-lookin' and you found a-somethin'

You can try my routine - I've gained serious size and strength - and it works.

*FIRST STEP*
GET IN THE MIND SET THAT YOUR GONNA GROW AND THAT WHEN YOU STEP IN THAT GYM YOU AINT LEAVIN TIL YOUR DONE - GOIN ALL OUT....

with that being said...

MONDAY:
chest/back

CHEST:
-FLAT BENCH (4-5 Sets)(8x8x8x8x6)
*Use weight on the last two sets that requires a spotter - you wanna overload your chest and GET ALL REPS IN.
-INCLINE BENCH (4 sets) (8x8x8x6)
*or dumb-bells, you can rotate
*Again your going to use weight that is heavy - NO PUSSY WEIGHT and if you have to use a spotter for all the damn sets - just get it done.
-FLAT OR INCLINE FLYES(4 Sets) (8x8x8x6)
*WERE TALKING HEAVY WEIGHT if you can start at a weight that you would normally do close to the end of your usual routine, and get a spotter, your gonna crush barriers this time, and push that weight WAY up .. get all sets in)
-SEATED BENCH (4 Sets)(8x8x8x8)
*If your gym has one, use it - talk about smashing barriers, overload the weight - I start with the damn thing maxed out and add weight with pins to the outside and im talkin like an extra 2 (45)lb plates - it works and gets your bench up - its all about power.
*If you have a plate-loader type ... load that shit up

BACK
-BENT OVER BARBELL ROWS(4-5 Sets)(8x8x8x8x6)
*Reverse or Regular grip, I prefer switching each week, targets alot of lats and inner back. Great warm up.
-BENT OVER DUMBBELL ROWS (4 Sets)(8x8x8x6)
*Hahaha make this shit heavy, and on this one get that intensity up.
-SEATED ROWS (4 Sets)(8x8x8x6)
*If you can start with the damn thing maxed out and add plates, I cant stress this enough DONT PULL WITH YOUR BICEPS pull with your back - you tired yet?
-LAT PULLDOWNS(4 Sets)(8x8x8x6)
*Jay cutler does these and there are alot of variations, the idea is you grab a reverse grip and pull towards your mid chest, the focus on your lats is ridiculous.
-PULLUPS (Burnout)(You decide the sets)
*Do atleat 2-3 sets of as much as you can do ... and go home and eat, day 2 is gonna be harder.

TUESDAY
legs/shoulders

LEGS:
-LEG PRESS(4-6 Sets)(8x8x8x8x8x8)
ROTATE EVERY OTHER WORKOUT WITH SQUATS
-SQUATS (4-6 Sets)(8x8x8x8x8x8)
*Heavy weight, so grab a belt and a spotter and get in the cage, your goin all out, keep nice form and keep that shit heavy (use either a wide or close stance).
-LEG EXTENSIONS (4 Sets)(8x8x8x8)
*Start with the damn thing maxed out and add those plates. Again if its a plate load type - load that shit up.
-LEG CURLS (4 Sets)(8x8x8x8)
*Start with the damn thing maxed out and add those plates. Again if its a plate load type - load that shit up.
-CALVE RAISES (5 Sets)(8x8x8x8x8)
*Max it out, nice and heavy

WEDS (Take a day off to eat and rest up .. you'll need it)

THURS
arms (bi/tri)

BICEPS
-BARBELL CURLS (4-5 SETS)(8X8X8X8X8)
*Nice and slow or full of intensity, whatever your body likes - i like to bang this shit out - so load em up - heavy or gtfo.
-ISOLATED CURLS (4 Sets)(8x8x8x8)
*Keep all that weight on the bicep, you want guns, not toys.
ROTATE WITH
-SEATED BICEP CURLS(4 Sets)(8x8x8x8)
*Nice and slow, nice and heavy
-HAMMER CURLS (4 Sets)(8x8x8x8)
-PREACHER CURLS (4 Sets)(8x8x8x8)
*Load that shit up and bang it out
ROTATE WITH
-BARBELL CABLE CURLS (4 Sets)(8x8x8x8)
*Nice pump, great feeling - get that shit pumping for tri's

TRI's

-OVERHEAD TRICEPS EXTENSIONS / PRESS (4 Sets) (8x8x8x8)
*PLEASE USE HEAVY WEIGHT and a spotter - let that shit pump
-CLOSE GRIP BENCH (4 Sets)(8x8x8x6)
*Heavy - Use a spotter - Grab a grip that has hardly any stress on your wrists, if you dont your gonna be sorry, make sure you can feel the weight on your tri's, if you cant, go closer - find that spot.
-TRICEP PULLDOWNS(4 Sets)(8x8x8x6)
*Keep the tension at all times nice and slow, let the tricep burn on this one, dont rush it - perfection takes time.
-DIPS (weighted)(4 Sets)(8x8x8x8)
*start with weight on your belt, dont use those pussy no weight warm ups, grab a 45 and do about 15 to warm up, this let the plates fly, i try to get up to 3 plates for a good 6 - and thats fine with me im only 19)
-ADD YOUR OWN -Yeah you get some freedom, isnt that what America is all about?

THURS
-TAKE THIS SHIT OFF

FRI
Legs

*Okay this sounds crazy but its a quick workout, its meant to build legs, legs are key, you dont wanna look like some ****** bags who benches 405 but cant squat 235, so listen up....

SQUATS (4-9 Sets)(8x8x8x8x8x8x8x8x8x8...you get the idea?)
*Start somewhat light and work up in weight - you wana get close to your max, and then break that record and set a nerw one ... were not playing games here, so dont laugh ,, you want size, you gotta bust your ass.

LEG PRESS (4-9 Sets)(You already know...)
*Heavy Heavy Heavy, you legs gonna be shot as fuck but you can bang em out, just change the weight or get a spotter if your too manly to drop the weight, just keep the legs banging)

CALVE RASIES (Burnout 5 Sets)
*hahaha after this you cant walk, so stumble home and eat.

DIET

K the key to this workout is to gain size and strength so your food is gonna be loaded with carbs and protein, stay away from fast food and garbage, im talking quality shit. I get atleast 200g of protein a day and a shitload of carbs and calories. I prefer you use a few supplements too, like a test booster, aniamlpak is a must, zma, glut. - Everything your gonna take is gonna get your body rested up and ready for each assault.

Anything Else?

Feel free to mix it up and change shit up - just keep it heavy and heard and use a belt and spotter - and don't laugh - you wanna get big or you wanna be some little bitch, trust me I went from a 115 frame to a 200 monster in 2 years - get this shit done.

Mean Machine
03-03-07, 1:46 pm
Have you looked at the splits in the training section of this site? There are some pretty good ones in there.

focused
03-03-07, 4:49 pm
brewer that sounds fun, i want to stumble home one day. haha

with my routine my legs are shaking before i even leave, that makes the hack squat a bitch. oh well, i love not bein able to walk up/down stairs the next few days anyways

RedIron 392
03-03-07, 5:47 pm
DC,read the Tread on it. If you can put out max intensity this shit works. Send NaturalG a PM and he will hook you up with a site to go to.

Later

Hulk
03-03-07, 8:57 pm
Brewer routine looks mean. Keep um coming guys and i tried to pm naturalg, said unknown user or something like that

thanks guys

RedIron 392
03-03-07, 9:31 pm
Brewer routine looks mean. Keep um coming guys and i tried to pm naturalg, said unknown user or something like that

thanks guys

Sorry,it's TheNaturalG. That should work.

brewer
03-04-07, 9:28 am
haha i noticed a few spelling errors, but if you do it right and overload the weight on each exercise - *thats why I call a spotter - after a few weeks i can bet $ you'll c change and size - any workout will do, just make sure your gettin enough work in on each muscle to force it to grow and get your sleep and get those vitamins and minerals AND protein, of course.

The workout is a 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off split - it's different, but it keeps your body in tune to gettin the shit beat out of it.

np and good luck

widdlewade44
03-04-07, 9:59 am
Do you have your copy of the AOM yet? If not get it! Ask Animalpak.com for one; I believe you can download the pdf of it in the meantime. It has ten routines varying on need and desired effects along with suggested supplements.

Brewer's routine does look sweet too! Caan't argue with results; 115lbs to 200lbs in 2 years, great!

I highly recommend the AOM, get you rcopy NOW. Good luck.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Torque757
03-04-07, 9:40 pm
Have you looked at the splits in the training section of this site? There are some pretty good ones in there.

I am on #11 right now and its probably the best split I have ever done... I have made considerable alterations as far as lowering follwing volme and dropping a few excersises al together(db rows for back, flyes for chest) to accomodate my current level of development. I highly recommend it.

Torque757
03-04-07, 9:47 pm
DC,read the Tread on it. If you can put out max intensity this shit works. Send NaturalG a PM and he will hook you up with a site to go to.

Later

No matter what your intensity level, you HAVE to have been lifting for many years to develope the mind muscle connection necassary for dc. As you train, your mind muscle connection will ge srtonger and stronger(nuerological) and you will be able to recruit more and more muscle fibers on less and less work, which is achieved through years and years of training. Thats why beginners need such High volume, they cant recruit many fibers so they need more volume to hit them all. And thats why, no matter how intense you are, you need to make sure your advance enough nuerologically before attempting dc.

bchap69
03-05-07, 12:33 am
yo hulk i got a rock solid routine for you to try. this is a hardcore regement that will work you to the max. the upper bdoy works with a rep range of 4 sets of 8-12 and lower body 4 sets of 12-16.

Monday and Thursday

Chest

Bench Press
Incline Press
Pullovers

Back

Wide Grip chin-Ups (do as many as you can at a time until you reach a total of 50 reps)
Bent-Over Rows

Power Training

Deadlifts, 3 sets 10,6,4

Abs

Crunches, 5 sets of 25

Tuesday and Friday

Shoulders

Barbell Clean and Press
Dunbell Lateral Raises

Power Training

Heavy Upright Rows, 3 sets 10,6,4
Push Presses, 3 sets 6,4,2

Upper Arms

Standing Barbell Curls
Seated Dunbell Curls
Close-Grip Press
Standing Skull Crushers

Forearms

Wrist Curl
Reverse Wrist Curl

Abs

Hanging Leg Raises, 5 sets of 25

Wednesday and Saturday

Thighs

Squats
Lunges
Leg Curls

Calves

Standing Calf Raises, 5 sets of 15

Lower Back and Power Training

Stiff Leg Deads, 3 sets 10,6,4
Good Mornings, 3 sets 10,6,4

Abs

Circuit train w/ favorite excercise, 5 sets of 25

Hulk
03-05-07, 10:36 pm
Started brewer routine it was killer. I especially like maxing out with the seated press and the row machine.

Awesome.

Pumped for tomorrow but seem to be missing shoulder exercises

brewer
03-06-07, 12:51 am
sorry forgot to post that hahaha i was pumped to write it all out and forgot the keys to the door.

SHOULDERS:

Yeah yeah people say take it easy, but fuck it - lets face it, you want HUGE shoulders that make people take a quick look and be like wtf?!

here is the deal:

SEATED MILITARY PRESSES (BARBELL STYLE OR DUMBBELL)
-4-6 Sets (8x8x8x8x8x8)
-Overload that weight, start out with a mild weight for yourself and get the nice slow pump going, as you warm up, turn up the intensity and act like your punching the sky, get those muscle fibers working.
-*If you have a "cage" in your gym and know how to use it, use a barbell and place in it the cage, then get a seat and place the safety bars about shoulder length, then proceed to do military presses, and load that shit up ... If you dont know what a military press is, look that shit up. haha you'll love em'.

LATERAL RAISES
-4-6 Sets (8x8x8x8x8x8)
-Use light weight to begin and work up, THIS IS THE ONLY TIME i will advise to use light weight when your building size, the reason? well its an easy exercise to tear a muscle fiber in your shoulder and w.o your shoulders ... you cant handle a good bench, or any good upper body workout - so play nice but get that burn in.

LOWER CABLE RAISES
-4-6 Sets (8x8x8x8x8x8)
-Kinda is like a 1 arm lateral raise, but using a cables, and yeah the lower ones, so your gonna have to bend your ass over and attach a single arm grib and proceed with the raises, this targets mid-and back shoulders heads and really builds a solid point that will help your later with bench and other upper body mass movements.
Example for those who don't know: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/CBOneArmLateralRaise.html

like the dude does it, but bend over ... haha and feel the burn

and finally

FRONT RAISES
-3-4 Sets (BURNOUT every other week)
-This will finish off what is left of your shoulder, a good target for the front head and mod head of the shoulder, you can use the EZ curl bar as well and do front shoulder raises, but its up to you, i like to use a flat bar.

I hope this helps ya out haha and im sorry for forgetting it .. hope ya get this bro and good luck - I promise this all works, just load up the weight and eat your food and get alot of rest and try to avoid alcohol and your on the path to success. Its hard to be ANIMAL but in the end, is proves something, that you are one of the few and dedicated.

Hulk
03-06-07, 12:55 am
Thanks so much dude.

Could u describe the "cage" to me

brewer
03-06-07, 9:30 am
hmm a cage let me get a pic

http://www.fitnessgiant.com/giantpowerrack.html

just a power rack ... not a smith machine, this thing is just an enclosed rack.

aka "the cage"

haha its one of my best friends at the gym and will soon be yours too

Mr.Totality
03-06-07, 9:35 am
I agree brewer it is a must. sadly my gym doesnt have one, so I must adjust

brewer
03-06-07, 9:38 am
haha yeah it sucks, my old gym didnt have one either, so once i outgrew that gym, i moved on, and ever since .... its just been amazing, its a great tool.

Hulk
03-06-07, 11:09 am
Yeah we have a cage. I cant wait to power through and sling the weight. yesterday was awesome. Haven t had a session like that in a while. I was so pumped. And what about abs?

Krieg
03-06-07, 4:29 pm
I've been on the same routine for about 5 months and it seems to be getting less effective so I'm trying to make a new routine and I'm looking for any suggestions on what to add/take away. I've been training at home, but I'll be joining a World Gym down the street at the end of next week so I'll be starting this routine when I go there. Currently my routine is:
Monday- Chest/Forearms
Tuesday- Legs
Wednesday- Arms
Friday- Back/Shoulders
I do abs and cardio whenever I have the extra energy to do them, but I don't have a specific day I do those. Some of the routine I've put together looks like it may be over-training, I need something to shock the muscles without hitting them to the point that they can't heal fast enough for my next training day. Right now it looks something like this:

Monday- Back/Forearms:
Deadlift- 6 sets
Bent-over rows- 4 sets
T-Bar rows- 4 sets
Lat pulldowns- 5 sets
Wrist curls/behind the back wrist curls- 3 sets of each

Tuesday- Chest/Triceps:
Incline bench press- 4 sets
Flat bench press (I'll alternate between flat and decline)- 3 sets
Incline dumbbell flies- 2 sets
Cable crossover- 3 sets
Dumbbell pullovers- 3 sets
Incline dumbbell presses- 2 sets
Skull crushers- 4 sets
Dips- 3 sets
Close grip bench press- 3 sets
Pulldowns- 3 sets

Wednesday- Cardio/Abs/Calves:
Knee raises- 100 reps
Weighted decline situps- 100 reps
Calf Raises- 4 sets

Thursday- Shoulders/Biceps/Forearms:
Military press- 3 sets
Dumbbell shoulder press- 3 sets
Barbell shrugs/Behind the back barbell shrugs- 3 sets of each
Dumbbell upright rows- 2 sets
One arm dumbbell row- 2 sets
Barbell curls- 4 sets
Alternating dumbbell curls- 3 sets
Hammer curls- 3 sets
Reverse curls- 2 sets
Wrist curls/behind back wrist curls- 3 sets of each

Friday- Legs
Squats- 4 sets
SLDL-4 sets
Leg extensions- 2 sets
Leg curls- 2 sets
Leg presses-4 sets
Hack squats- 3 sets
Calf raises- 4 sets

That's basically what I have now, does it look alright or is it too much? Thanks for any help.

Kiwi129
03-06-07, 5:19 pm
That's a bit too much volume for my liking. But to each his own. I change up my workouts every four weeks and here's what I do. I basically have three rep ranges I do my sets in. I've got a 4-6 range (low), a 7-12 range (medium), and a 13-15 range (high). When I'm in the medium range I usually keep it under 10 reps though. What I do is start my cycle with all my heavy compounds with the low reps range to get some strength gains going. Then I do the rest of my lifts (dumbbell work mostly) in the medium range, and do things like pec deck and calves in the high rep range. After four weeks, I move every lift up ONE rep range. So the compounds become 7-12, the others become 13-15, and things like pec deck and calves become heavy weight low reps. This gets every muscle hit by different rep ranges to squeeze every bit of strength and hypertrophy out of each of them. Other little things like changing grips and angles can be done workout by workout. Hope this helps you out bro.

BigAnt
03-06-07, 5:48 pm
That's a bit too much volume for my liking. But to each his own. I change up my workouts every four weeks and here's what I do. I basically have three rep ranges I do my sets in. I've got a 4-6 range (low), a 7-12 range (medium), and a 13-15 range (high). When I'm in the medium range I usually keep it under 10 reps though. What I do is start my cycle with all my heavy compounds with the low reps range to get some strength gains going. Then I do the rest of my lifts (dumbbell work mostly) in the medium range, and do things like pec deck and calves in the high rep range. After four weeks, I move every lift up ONE rep range. So the compounds become 7-12, the others become 13-15, and things like pec deck and calves become heavy weight low reps. This gets every muscle hit by different rep ranges to squeeze every bit of strength and hypertrophy out of each of them. Other little things like changing grips and angles can be done workout by workout. Hope this helps you out bro.

Very good answer !

And don't forget about the basic compound movements....

Krieg
03-06-07, 6:35 pm
I thought it might be a little too much on at least a few of those days. I guess what I'll do is focus heavy on deadlifts, squats and bench, and switch up lifts from week to week so I don't get used to it. My chest is my weakest area, so I'm trying to shock it really good and that's why I added so many chest exercises. Is there anything besides bench presses that I should really focus heavily on to get that area to gain size and strength faster? Also, for on my back day, are the lat pulldowns good enough for lats or do I need to lower the sets of the lat pulldowns and add a few sets of something else to target them. I do wide-grip pull ups for a warmup usually, but that's the only other lift that would be targeting lats specifically.
Thanks

iyaoyas247
03-06-07, 7:17 pm
Yo check out Brawn and Beyond Brawn- I called them my bibles for the last10 years or so- hope you find the books- I just mailed mine to my cousins' kid- he is like 6'5" and 270 just turned 18, genetics- gotta hate em'!!!

Kiwi129
03-06-07, 7:22 pm
I do lat pulldowns. But when I change exercises I change to chins. I do that because I can't do that many sets of chins though (as to get a good lat pump...). If you can do chins to warm up you might try weighting them and doing them instead of the lat pulldowns (as they work more of the back as well). Good call on the bench, dead, and squat... but don't forget about the other two important compounds: barbell rows and barbell military press. I also do my barbell curls and dips around 6 reps heavy. Then after those I do some higher rep sets of dumbbell curls and skullcrushers. Good luck.

Krieg
03-06-07, 8:47 pm
The weighted chins sound good, I don't have a weight belt but maybe the gym I'm changing to will have some. I'm usually able to train barbell rows and military presses with high intensity so focusing more on those won't be a problem. I'm changing around the routine to have no more than 6 or 7 different lifts on each day and just focus heavy on what I do that day, that will probably do better than having to switch lifts constantly. Thanks again for your help.

Kiwi129
03-06-07, 9:26 pm
Your welcome bro. You sound on the right track now. Other people might say different but I like what you're doing heh. And if you can't get your hands on a belt... most chin-up bars are low enough to stand on the floor and grab them (but I'm 6'3" so I dunno...), SO you could put a dumbbell upright on the floor and clench it with your feet while you're doing chins. Try it out, but if your weights get too heavy it might become difficult on the legs.

hjayss
03-07-07, 1:52 am
A lot of times if you like your workout ,but your body is getting use to it just flip it around bro. completely change the days around if chest and bicep was your last day then make it your first. That has worked for me when I get to that 4 week mark. See how that works for you and like I think kiwi said you are doing a lot of volume bro. Legs are the only part I beat up like that .

Joe D'Amato
03-17-07, 8:57 pm
I just changed my routine up because i was going from 2 1/2 to 3 hours of strait training 4 days a week by myself and my joints started hurting so then i saw animal's #9 routine (http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=148&) but for legs i dont have a leg press machine, what should i substitute it with? Also is thatg routine all i need to do or should i add "rep outs" and extra exercises?

djlr42789
03-17-07, 10:35 pm
What other kind of equipment do you have? (Cage?Smith Cage?Machines?)

Joe D'Amato
03-17-07, 10:52 pm
i only have a machine and bench

MankDaTank
03-18-07, 1:05 am
so in a couple of months when i am off my cut cycle i will be going back to that good old bulk...i pretty much have my diet and supplements already picked but would love to hear what all yall animals think about my soon to be future workout plan...tell me if anything should be changed and i will be changing some workouts from week to week to make sure i am hitting that muscle at every possible angle just so i can torture all my muscles the same way but will take a week off every 8 weeks

MONDAY (week 1)
Chest-dumbell flyes (warmup sets)-2 sets 12 reps
Barbell bench press-3 sets 10 reps
Dunbell bench press-3 sets 10 reps
Dumbell pullovers-3 sets 10 reps
Wide grip bench press (just for a good pec stretch)-3 sets 10 reps

Forearms-Reverse curls-4 sets 10 reps
Wrist curls-4 sets 10 reps

Chest- (week 2)
Incline dunbell flyes (warmup sets)-2 sets 12 reps
Incline barbell bench press-3 sets 10 reps
Incline dumbell bench press-3 sets 10 reps
Incline hammer press (dropset)-4 sets to failure
Pec deck (for a good stretch)-3 sets 10 reps

Foreams-Reverse curls-4 sets 10 reps
Farmers walk (up 20 stairs)-4 sets till failure

TUESDAY ( 10 minute bike wamups and stretching)
Legs-Squat-4 sets 10 reps
Leg press/Hacksquat (superset)-4 sets 10 reps
Leg extentions (dropset)-4 sets 10 reps
Stiff legged deadlifts-4 sets 10 reps
High platform leg press-4 sets 10 reps
Seated leg curls/Standing leg curls (superset)-4 sets 10 reps

WEDNESDAY (will also be changing workout every week)
Shoulders (week 1)
Behind the neck military press-3 sets 10 reps
Seated dumbell press-3 sets 10 reps
Standing side lateral raises/Front dumbell raises (superset)-3 sets 10 reps
Lying rear delt dumbell laterals ( for a good stretch)-2 sets 10 reps

Calves-Seated calf raise/Leg press calf raise (superset)-4 sets 10 reps
Standing calf raise/Bodyweight calf raise (superset)-4 sets 10 reps

Shoulders (week 2 )
Barbell shoulder raise-3 sets 10 reps
Bent barbell row ( to the neck)-3 sets 10 reps
Dumbell upright row/Seated side lateral raise ( superset )-3 sets 10 reps
Reverse pec deck ( for a good stretch) - 2 sets 10 reps

Calves-Bodyweight calf raise with toes pointed in different directions
( triple set )-4 sets till failure

THURSDAY
Biceps- (week 1)
Barbell Curl- 3 sets 10 reps
Hammer curls-3 sets 10 reps
Ez bar curl-3 sets 10 reps
Preacer curl-3 sets 10 reps

Foreams-Reverse curls-4 sets 10 reps
Farmers walk (up 20 stairs)-4 sets till failure

Biceps- (week 2)
Ez bar curl-3 sets 10 reps
Charles Glass hammer curls-3 sets 10 reps
Dumbell bicep curl-3 sets 10 reps
Crazy 8's -2 sets 10 reps

Forearms-Reverse curls-4 sets 10 reps
Wrist curls-4 sets 10 reps

FRIDAY
TRICEPS- (week 1)
Triangle tricep push down-3 sets 10 reps
Close grip bench press-3 sets 10 reps
Weighted dips-3 sets 10 reps
Rope tricep puch down-3 sets 10 reps

Calves-Bodyweight calf raise with toes pointed in different directions
( triple set )-4 sets till failure

Triceps- (week 2)
Reverse grip bench press-3 sets 10 reps
Skull crushers-3 sets 10 reps
Bentover dumbell tricep extention-3 sets 10 reps
Seated tricep press-3 sets 10 reps

Calves-Seated calf raise/Leg press calf raise (superset)-4 sets 10 reps
Standing calf raise/Bodyweight calf raise (superset)-4 sets 10 reps

SATURDAY
Back- (week 1)
Bentover barbell row-3 sets 10 reps
T bar row-3sets 10 reps
Cable rows-3 sets 10 reps
Deadlift-4 sets 10 reps

Traps-Barbell shrug-4 sets 10 reps

Back- (week 2)
Deadlift-4 sets 10 reps
Wide grip lat pulldown-3 sets 10 reps
Wide grip lat pulldown behind the back- 3 sets 10 reps
V bar pull down-3 sets 10 reps

Traps-Dumbell Shrugs-4 sets 10 reps
Behind the back barbell shrug-4 sets 10 reps

Abbs-(trained every 3 days) ( week 1 )
Abb crunch machine-4 sets 10 reps
Situps- 4 sets 25 reps
Oblique Crunch-4 sets 10 reps

Abbs-( week 2)
Oblique crunch-4 sets 10 reps
Crunches/Leg raises ( superset)-4 sets 25 reps

Abb reps will increse with time

luispena
03-30-07, 9:39 pm
hi guys,

been lifting for 8 months, rigth now i want to cut some fat, i was checking the split routines in the training section. but i m not sure which one can help me to get my goals. i m 30 and 195 lbs. some advised bros?

note, now i m training a muscle a day and 20 min of cardio.but is time to change.
peace.

shutthefuckup
03-31-07, 12:05 am
This is what I do cut down a bit,

When I do a splits, it a split. For real. lol Upper one day, take a day off, Lower the next, take a day off or 2. I go crazy on legs. Easy as that. Plus I do all my lifts night.
Cardio everyday in the a.m. even before i eat, but not after legs. Thats the only day i take off for Cardio.

I could be wrong, but thats what I do bro. I really like doing this.
I do it for about 2-3 weeks and move on. Come back and fall in love with it all over.

Try it. let me know what you think. Its all good.

extremenergy3
03-31-07, 4:46 am
How's the diet bro? You can do training and do cardio for hours on end and still be fat (whether it be big and fat or skinny and fat).

naturalguy
03-31-07, 9:53 am
Here's a good basic routine, you may just want to cut down on some of the sets being that you just started lifting 8 months ago:

http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=48&section=training%0A

Kiwi129
03-31-07, 10:59 am
Training is important when you're dieting to maintain muscle bro. It's not actually responsible for the fat loss. Do any split you want, just keep the weights heavy and in the 6-10 range. Don't fall for that high reps makes definition shit. You need to keep your muscles working hard to prevent atrophy. Let your diet and cardio do the work to shed the fat. Good luck bro.

RedIron 392
03-31-07, 12:27 pm
One muscle group a day is good while dieting down. You might have to reduce the number of sets in order to have enough energy to get through a session. I assume you are going low carb. I also believe in keeping the weight up and low to moderate reps. Cut carbs sowly so you won't go into a starvation mode. Keep the protein high and good fats. Get plenty of simple and complex carbs PW. I read that a 175lb. man needs 100g of carbs a day to maintain Glycogen and Glucose stores and 100g PW with another 40g within 4 to 6 hours after that. Do cardio after lifting.
No carbs after six P.M. and you should be good to go.

later

luispena
04-01-07, 11:53 am
thank you bros, very helpful information, i let you know my progress.

peace

stumblin54
04-01-07, 1:04 pm
thank you bros, very helpful information, i let you know my progress.

peace

Do you just not eat food or what? What's your diet like bro?

Stumblin

LuvsThePain
04-01-07, 1:59 pm
Hey man, if you're looking to cut then you might need help with your diet and not you're routine. Given that you might want to increase your cardio a little bit. Let us all know about your diet and then maybe we can help you even more.

LTP

The_Beast
04-01-07, 2:26 pm
diet is where its at, totally Agree.

Leave your Liftin, Brute Animal Heavy, no need to lose alot of muscle mass and strength, to get alittle shredded for a few weekends at the beach.-

The_Beast

musclebeach79
04-01-07, 6:30 pm
I modeled my routine around the Dennis Wolfe workout from an issue of Muscular Development

Monday:
Incline Barbell Press
1x15 warm up

Superset
Incline Barbell Press
1x12, 2x10

Machine Flyes
1x12, 2x10

Flat Bench Press
1x15

Superset
Flat Bench
1x12, 1x10, 1x8

Cable Flyes
3x10

Decline Bench
3x10

Pullover
1x15, 1x12, 1x10

Biceps
EZ Bar curls
1x15, 1x12, 2x10

One Arm Preacher
3x10

Alternate DB curls
2x10, 1x8 keep the DB in the contracted position

Tuesday
Lying Leg Curls
1x15, 1x12, 1x10-drop 7

Single Leg Curl
1x10, 1x10+10, 1x10

Stiff Legged Deadlifts
3x15

Standing Calf
3x21 alternate toe position for 7

Seated Calf
see standing calf

Toe Presses
2x15, 1x15-drop 15

Wednesday
Warm up
Single Leg Leg Press
1x15, 1x12+10, 1x12

Leg Extensions
1x20, 1x15+10 single leg, 1x10

Squats
1x15, 1x12, 2x10

Leg Press
1x15, 1x12, 1x10-drop 8

Walking Lunges
2x75 yards

Thursday
Side Laterals every other week superset midpoints
1x15, 1x12, 1x10 3x10

Seated DB Shoulder Press
1x17, 1x14, 1x12

superset
Seated Rear Delt Machine
1x15, 1x12, 1x10
Bent Over single arm db lateral raise
3x10

DB Front Raise
1x12, 1x10, 1x10-drop 10

Barbell Shrugs
4x10

Triceps
Single Arm Cable Pulldown
1x10, 1x10+10, 1x10

Dips
1x15, 1x12, 1x10

Rope Pushdown
1x17, 1x14, 1x12

Overhead DB Extensions
3x10

Friday
Wide Grip Chins
1x15, 1x12, 1x10, 1x7-drop 7

Single Arm DB Rows
1x15, 1x12, 1x10

Wide Pulldowns
1x15, 1x12, 1x8, 1x6-drop 6

Bent Over Rows
1x12, 1x10, 1x8

Deadlifts
2x10, 1x8

abs will be done every other day and cardio will be done 3x a week for 30 mins

Kiwi129
04-01-07, 11:59 pm
Not the best idea... but to each his own. I'd say stay away from muscle mag workouts bro.

dIdDy
04-02-07, 1:25 am
Not the best idea... but to each his own. I'd say stay away from muscle mag workouts bro.

agreed

dIdDy
04-02-07, 5:11 am
hi guys,

been lifting for 8 months, rigth now i want to cut some fat, i was checking the split routines in the training section. but i m not sure which one can help me to get my goals. i m 30 and 195 lbs. some advised bros?

note, now i m training a muscle a day and 20 min of cardio.but is time to change.
peace.

fat is lost in the kitchen, not the gym. (for the most part)

Nightshift
04-02-07, 5:30 am
Try it and see how it works for 4-6 weeks. Be honest with yourself though. If it seems like too much or your not feeling it, keep parts of it or drop it all together. Remember, some of these guys in the magazines have been around for years experimenting with what works best for them.

You also have to ask yourself if this routine falls in line with your goals. If it does, then go for it!

PDPullmn612
04-05-07, 2:37 am
yo guys, whats up? k so im finishing up my first cycle of Stak 2, love the product, but next im gonna be trying a cycle of m-stak, so i'll see where that takes me. what im here to ask of some of you guys is if you could post your routines. i've been doing one for a month and i want to switch it up a bit. you dont have to get into too much detail, but if you want to that would be awesome. i just want to be able to hit my body with something so that it has no other choice but to grow..ha...thanks in advance, peace

Jon
04-05-07, 6:55 am
There are plenty of programs on the site,,,it would only take you 1 min to view them

Nightshift
04-05-07, 6:59 am
Try either Routine # 4 or 5 from the training section.

ghost
04-05-07, 9:49 am
http://www.animalpak.com/html/sections.cfm?id=32

heeeeeeeeeeeere ya go.

Joe D'Amato
04-05-07, 3:56 pm
you need a routine that works good for you. i tried #9 and didn't like it so much. Im going through my arnold encyclopedia right now to look for exercises to put together for a routine, you could try something like that.

Rage
04-05-07, 9:31 pm
Here's mine Brotha

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?p=64592#post64592

MELTDOWN
04-05-07, 9:35 pm
FAVE................http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=training&ID=270

Kev90
04-12-07, 9:35 pm
I'm considering starting a new routine that goes:
Day 1: chest and shoulders
Day 2: legs and back
Day 3: off
Day 4: arms
Day 5: off
and then repeat.
How does that look to you guys?

Hikeon3
04-12-07, 10:06 pm
Legs and Back might be a long day.

Do you squat/dead? If so, I highly recommend not doing them on the same day. Both are incredibly taxing to the nervous system, and you'll end up half-assing on one or the other. Guaranteed.

What are your goals? If your goals are to get stronger, Consider more focus on compound lifts and small sets. Arms day wouldn't make sense. Consider a three day split to focus on Deads, Squats, and Bench Presses.

I'm assuming mass is your goal, given that you have an entire day dedicated to arms. I'd say put arms with something else instead of putting legs and back together. Trust me; when building a good physique, your arms are far less important than your legs or back.

Try splitting out to four-workout days a week with three rest days. That's generally a good split that involves plenty of rest and a good workout each day.

Maybe try this:
Day 1: Chest & Triceps
Day 2: Quads/Hams/Calves
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Shoulders & Traps
Day 5: Back & Biceps
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

I've used this split with a lot of success. It focuses on your muscle bases each day while also working on some more aesthetic muscle groups as well. And rest is just as important as lifting. So take those days off and EAT!!!

Kev90
04-12-07, 10:23 pm
thanks alot for the info. bro, really appreciate it.

widdlewade44
04-12-07, 10:49 pm
and then repeat.

Especially on Day 2; as stated above that gonna be a long day.

I consider legs, back and chest to be the big groups. Shoulders, arms and calves are the smaller groups. Abs about every other workout and forearms with arms.

If you're doing Squats and Deadlifts, you've got to split those bad boys up. Your body is gonna need space between intense leg and back workouts in order to recover.

Hope this helps, and give me a holler if you have more questions. Good luck, peace.

Kevin
widdlewade44

karmazon
04-12-07, 11:39 pm
Just ask yourself

An x is a good x if it performs the function of an x well.

Same with an exercise. An exercise is a good exercise if it performs the function of an exercise well.

So, the target is the triceps. The tricep exercise is the pressdown. The tricep pressdown does work the triceps well. Therefore- The tricep pressdown is a good exercise to target the tricep.

See? It is a tool to be used to serve a function, as are all exercises.

Maccabee
04-13-07, 12:44 am
and then repeat.

Allright your first two days look like they are going to kill you. In my opinion I think you should not have it that way because its just to much work in one time. I dont know how many sets, exercises, or how long you train. But seeing that your at this forum, I am guessin your Animal who trains hard like everyone else. Legs and Back have to be on two seperate days cause if you squat and do deads thats just to much in one day. This is what my split looks like now. If you want to follow it be my guest, but it gives me sufficient time to hit every muscle group all on its own and with full concentration and energy.

Sunday: Chest
Monday: Legs
Tuesday: OFF
Wednesday: Shoulders
Thursday: Back
Friday: Arms
Saturday: OFF

Sometimes I train so intensily that I wont workout my arms that week and I will just take a friday off. Some might call me crazy but this month my arms grew 1/4 of an inch and I only hit them once. So just listen to your body, and pace yourself. Or you can throw Triceps with shoulders and biceps with back. This way you will end up having Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday off. Remember rest = growth. Good luck

musclealchemist
04-13-07, 1:41 am
You need to let your body rest at least 48 hours before you train related muscles ie legs and lower back. Just do like everyone has been saying and split the 2 up and you should be fine.

hjayss
04-13-07, 2:19 am
I could not imagine doing legs and back on the same day I do them on seperate days back at least two days apart.

I do chest, back, rest, legs, arms, shoulders and that is based on soreness I am sure a lot of guys will agree with the soreness factor. good luck bro.

Malloy1344
04-13-07, 9:59 am
I gotta agree that legs and back would be a hellish day....I get nautious on both those days alone, so combining them would be hell......heres an example of my last split that worked really well
Monday - Chest/biceps/calves
Tuesday Legs/triceps
Wednesday - off
Thursday Back/biceps/calves
Friday - off
Saturday - Shoulders/triceps
Sunday off

Worked awesome for me for awhile, got some nice lean gains...especially from hitting the arms twice a week.

mcbeast
04-13-07, 10:06 am
iv squatted and deadlifted same day..doesn work..at all by the time i get to squats my back is dead.or vice versa..again lik everyone said..depends on ur goals.

u want thr big three strength?
or bodybuilder size?

feelthepain12
04-24-07, 10:28 pm
Alright so right now I'm trying to think of a new routine to try before the one I'm currently on ends. Right now it's rugby season and I'm trying to get stronger and faster and I practice 3x a week. I was just wondering if i should go with a conventional split and throw in some Olympic exercises or maybe try something a little more specific to the sport? Thanks in advance.

Primal
04-25-07, 1:47 am
Training for sports is always best done by bench, squat, deadlift, cleans, all powerlifting style lifts, you can throw in some hamsstring calf exercises and shoulder press stuff, dont be too concerned with bodybuilding exercises, you dont need to do 10 sets of bicepts for rugby ya know? stick with the lifts that work alot of muscles at once, and will make u explosive and large

ironman77
05-06-07, 7:34 pm
is this a good routine?????????????monday chest and back. tuesday cardio 30 mins wednesdaylegs shoulders and abs thurscardio..fridaybis and tris some so called expert hooked me up with this routine and i must admit the dude looked like he knew what he was talking about can i still make great gains without training five-6 days a week ?

karmazon
05-06-07, 7:43 pm
can i still make great gains without training five-6 days a week ?

Yes

Is this a good routine?

Ask yourself this: Is there a progressive overload? Is there enough time to recover?

If the answers were yes, than this is a good routine.

LegDay_UKIGS
05-07-07, 1:51 am
Bro I've learned a few things... Make sure it works for you... make sure you're hitting each muscle group with enough intensity to make it grow with enough time to rest in between. If you are a beginner I recommend going through the Animal Owner's Manual and getting some of the training plans fromt here. Look for what goal you're looking to acheive. And the big thing I noticed is where the hell is your LegDay?! If you need the AOM PM me and I'll e-mail you an electronic copy. Happy Lifting
LegDay

Maccabee
05-07-07, 11:20 am
is this a good routine?????????????monday chest and back. tuesday cardio 30 mins wednesdaylegs shoulders and abs thurscardio..fridaybis and tris some so called expert hooked me up with this routine and i must admit the dude looked like he knew what he was talking about can i still make great gains without training five-6 days a week ?

Of course you can make great gains without training five-6 days a week. Do some research on Mike Mentzer, and you will get freaked out on how this guy trained. You can either train long or hard, cant do both. Mike Mentzer trained hard and like a madman. I tried his style and I almost died, very intense and I am not joking. The way he trained is not for the sluggish. You go to be crazy.

gnoll5
05-07-07, 3:20 pm
not too sure i would train back and chest on the same day. i would do them on separate days, with some ab work after.

Platestacker
05-08-07, 2:46 am
My only problem with that is after I am done fucking up by bi's in the gym I can't give it my all to train tri's. Way to much stress on the arms in one day. Just my opinion

gnoll5
05-08-07, 10:18 am
My only problem with that is after I am done fucking up by bi's in the gym I can't give it my all to train tri's. Way to much stress on the arms in one day. Just my opinion

i feel like that too, thats why i train chest/tri's and then back or shoulders and bi's.

U4icPain
05-08-07, 12:04 pm
[QUOTE=ironman77;84726]tuesday cardio 30 mins wednesdaylegs shoulders and abs thurscardioQUOTE]

Cardio before leg day means you aint gonna be a able to give it everything on leg day and the day after leg day you should barely be able to THINK about doing cardio. And doing shoulders with legs is gonna be hard as fuck IMO, leg day needs be the base of your week and should be a day for only legs. Unless you are cutting the cardio before and after leg day is not a good thing.

I really dont understand how poeple can do
!!!Legs and Back!!! or Legs and anythign else on leg day?!? It is crazy.

violator
05-09-07, 10:21 am
Gents,

Damn rite U4icpain, doin anythin but sittin on the couch after leg day is not an option for me.
As for the workout programme, id say it sounds like a general'get back in shape' routine 4 me. Now different strokes 4 different folks, but id look at seperating back & legs into their own days. and cardio?, while thats good for general fitness and well being, id never personally add it to a regular programme unless i was cutting.
Do urself a favor G, check out the animal routines on the site, theres heaps to choose from and tried and tested to break ur ass.

peace

mcbeast
05-11-07, 10:01 am
hey man thanks..man those numbers sound good to me! =)

my current split (this is just a basic,i might add or take things out each week,i workout how i feel) this following week im gna follow a strict schedule though.for back i was ding low reps for stability but now goin a lil higher need to lean out a tad for summer

monday deadlift day(used 5x5 for 1.5 months lately ive just been doing w/e need to do less reps now for explosive power)

deadlift 1x10,3,2,1 #'s up every week prob gna pull 485-90 this week
bent rows 3x6-10x225+
sldl1x5-7x300+
hyperextensions 3x15
db or tbar rows 3x10
pullups 3x10
cg pulldowns 3x --

Tuesday Chest Biceps
bench 6x4 ending with 240-245 (might change to inclines this scheme has upped my max 25pds tho)
incline db 3x6-10 90's
dips 3x- -
incline fly's 3x12
ss with
pullovers 3x12
weighted bench dips 3x- -
overhead extensions 3x10
pressdowns 3x10

Wednesday Legs/conditioning/abs
squats 100+ reps diff stances in under 4 sets
sldl 5x6 ending with about 325
hypers 3x15
stepups/lunges ALOT
15 mins bike
various abs

Thurs OFf

Friday( help me out here)

db press 3x8-10x70's
raise/press quadset 3x10 3 raises, machine press
shrugs ss 3x25 front ss with 3x25 db

thurs abs/cardio

legs are my own stlye to build up endurance and lung capacity for fire dept
every few weeks ill throw in a HEAVY leg day..i also love inclines db im wondering if i shud do them first....or shud i continue 6x4?

any and all help welcomed

J 2the att
05-19-07, 8:49 pm
Hi how has everyone been? It's been a while since i visited this forum because i was away. It feels good to be back.
I was going to start lifting again after couple of weeks off, but i have trouble putting together my routine. I know what i want to do, but i don't know how to seperate it.
Monday: Max effort upper body
Tuesday: Max effort lower body
Wednesday:Back and bis
Thursday: Olympic lifts(Jerks, snatches, cleans)
Friday: Chest and tris
Saturday: off
Sunday: off

This looks like my current routine but i am afraid i am taxing my upper body too much because of olympic lifts. Also, i am training for football that's why i included them. I want to hear your opinions on my routine and any advice on how to seperate them to be more efficient. Thanks bro.

Costo
06-16-07, 2:05 pm
Hey guys. A little intro, im 15 I can max squat 290 and I used to be able to do 265 for 3 reps. I have no idea what I did wrong but now I am struggling to do 200 for 3 reps. I am thinking of 2 lower body days and 1 upper. (I am a young athlete and that was what worked for me for the majority of the time I was lifting)
Im thinking
Monday
5 sets 5 at 60% every week add 10lbs
Deadlift: 5 sets 3 at 80-90%
Hck Squats 4 sets 8
Leg Press: 4 sets 15
Extensions 4 sets 20, 15, 12, 10
Standing Calf Raises: 4 sets 12

Friday
5 sets 8 at 50% every week add 10lbs
Deadlift 5 sets 5 at 70-80%
Hack Squats: 4 sets 8
Leg Press (feet high on platform): 4 sets 8
Seated Leg Curls: 4 sets 12
Lying Curls: 4 sets 12

Saturday
Dumbell Incline Press: 4 sets 8
T-Bar Rows: 4 sets 8
Tris Extension: 5 sets: 15, 12, 10, 8
Seated Rows: 5 sets: 12, 10, 8, 6, 6
Incline Flys: 4 by 8
Barbell Curls: 2 21s dropset.

Had to make a routine like this because of school and training.

ironshaolin
06-16-07, 2:19 pm
dude you're only 15 years old, don't worry about how much weight and how crazy your routine is. If I were you, I'd try to make my upper body day on wednesday if possible, and just focus on good form. When you squat, make sure your thighs go paralell and your knees don't go too far over your toes.

Space Cowboy
06-16-07, 2:22 pm
Yes, your correct, you certainly do need a critique, a constructive one.

If you carry on with this your bodys gonna be a mess in your mid-late 20's. From friday-mon your doin 2 deadlift sessions, 2 squat sessions, 2 leg sessions, then saturday your hitting your back AGAIN, in a stir fry of chest, back, triceps and biceps. This wouldnt be good at any age bro, your 15, your body is growing alone by itself at a rapid rate, all sorts of changes are happening which your body will find hard to cope with, putting it through this stress could severely affect you in the short and long term, with muscle, joint and bone issues. Im gonna step back and let you gain some more opinion, then we can possibly arrange you a more structured and solid regime.

EASI

gflash77
06-16-07, 4:41 pm
yeah, 2 consecutive lower body days isn't the smartest thing to do.

Have you tried squatting with a bench in between your legs? (one you would use for DB exercises). Try it if you haven't, you can focus better on your technique (avoiding knees over toes) and GETTING TO PARALLEL! think of it this way...legs are usually parallel when sitting on a bench, so if you drop your ass to the point where you touch the bench slightly and go up, you train your body to recognize when it is at parallel.

Helped my squat greatly. Did it for an entire 8-week workout regimen, then squatted without it. Try this out.

Costo
06-16-07, 6:59 pm
Good thinking Gflash. So I guess I need to rethink my routine. It was supposed to be a 2 upper body, 2 lower body split, but school and training prevented it. THanks for the input guys.

Young&Hungry
06-17-07, 1:38 pm
With the school thing, what are you doing before or after school that's preventing you from training? During track season, I'd go to school till 2:30, have practice till 5:00, train till 7:30, and still have time to have a social life and get high honors for all three trimesters. If it's somehow impossible for you to train after school, roll out of bed at 5:00 am and hit up the gym. Training with school is 100% possible, you just have to be running on a very tight schedule.

Right now I am doing a two day uppers, two day lowers, and one day olympic split and it's as brutal as it can get but I am still recovering fine, even though I am the same age as you. Check out my journey if you're interested in that kind of split. PM me if you have any other questions, good luck.

king1
06-18-07, 2:25 am
You could do that routine but change saturdays workout to wednesday. Also you should just row and press heavy on those days and leave isolation exercises out. But i would still prefer a 5 day split. There is no reason you cant workout 5 days a week even with a crazy schedule

Big Wides
06-18-07, 7:07 am
your young, gotta focus on the basic compound movements that will get you the size and strength that you are looking for. bench, squat, deadlift, bent over rows, and barbell curl. also, since you are an athelete, where are the olympic lifts for that extra explosive power? its easy to add the basic compound movements into a three day split that will help you grow. sometimes the simple is better than the complex

boar
06-18-07, 1:34 pm
First thing that I have learned from my training career is this. Never try to overcompensate for a concieved lack of a lift. This leads to overtraining and also not making progress.

That leg work out split is quite intense and too much volume. I would do deadlifts and squats on separate days.

This is what I do for my split for deads and squats. I'm not saying that my way is right or the best but I most def think you should do deads and squats on separate days.

Deadlift workout
Stiff legged light weight 2*10
Deadlifts or sumo's various rep schemes
rows 2 out of these either tbar, barbell, dumbell, etc.
Lat pull down, pullups

Squat workout
Squats either back, or front various rep schemes
2 other quad exercises with it like leg press, box jumps, leg ext machine etc.
2 hamstring exercises good mornings, lounges, leg curl
One calf exercise

most of my supplementary lifts I do like rep schemes 4*6 3*8 or something like that.

So thats my suggestion to you bro. Hope this helped.

Good luck

-nick

Costo
06-18-07, 6:47 pm
Thanks for the info. Makes a lot of sence. Boar, you do you think also that I should split the quads and hams? Should hack squats be a staple for quads? Young and Hungry, I had a split similar to that, except I didn't have an OL day, I just incroporated it into the upper or lower days. Big Wides, I'm in the off season now, so I just figured that I would increase my strength base. I normally have my OLs late in the off season and during season.

Grond Al-Ghoul
06-19-07, 1:35 pm
1. eat big... puberty will take care of the rest
2. compound movements... good... I agree with an earlier post though, give the body a little time to recover, you dont have the muscle maturity to recover that quickly and adapt
3. get your sleep

asstograss
07-16-07, 10:35 am
I was looking for a new workout routine and I decided to do the animal routine #5. I have a question about it so I thought I should ask all experts here. I noticed there is no direct shoulder work, is this on purpose? Also what would you suggest for shoulder exercises to incorporate into this routine if any? I would use the rep scheme as noted.

dominate77
07-16-07, 12:52 pm
I was looking for a new workout routine and I decided to do the animal routine #5. I have a question about it so I thought I should ask all experts here. I noticed there is no direct shoulder work, is this on purpose? Also what would you suggest for shoulder exercises to incorporate into this routine if any? I would use the rep scheme as noted.

that is weird that they don't have any shoulder workout in it, but it has you resting three days a week, skip one of those days off and use it for a shoulder workout

ghost
07-16-07, 3:27 pm
i believe it is because of the amount of work your shoulders are already getting from the other movements.

Riesjs
07-16-07, 4:55 pm
i believe it is because of the amount of work your shoulders are already getting from the other movements.

You indirectly work your delts to a decent degree on chest/tri day. If you feel the need to, I would throw a handfull of sets of side raise to the mix. Your front delt take the brunt on your chest pressing movements; so side raises would be good.

barnhart14
07-16-07, 5:28 pm
if you want a good shoulder workout because you aren't feeling enough with your current routine, I would definetely suggest arnold presses. If you dont know what they are, they are just military presses with dumbells but you always start from the finished curl position and then twist your wrists as you go up. They hurt so good

asstograss
07-17-07, 9:40 am
Thanks guys, I think I will add a few sets of shoulder work on leg day.

Tydis
07-19-07, 4:09 pm
Hey guys, I'm 19 years old, weigh about 150, i'm pretty much out of shape.
I had to quit lifting for about 6 months due to a torn ACL.

Here is is one year later and my girlfriend was laying on my stomach and said it made a nice pillow.

Oh f**k no, I think to myself.

That was my inspiration to go back to the gym.

My current goal is to gain about 10 pounds in 100 days, while maintaining, if not dropping, my body fat. (yes i realize it will go up at first)

I never really trained that hard before. Essentially i am a complete newbie to body building. However these days I really want to transform my body.
I've been taking the Pak and NO-Explode, I've decided to lay off the NO for awhile it's a waste of cash at this point.

For about a month now I've been going to the gym with no real set routine and not focusing on my diet.

From this point on, however, that is going to change, I've come up with something I think is semi-reasonable and am looking for the pro's tips on it here at this forum.

Workout Routine:
Full body workout 2 times a week. Working in triads, I do the first set of all 3 exercises in a triad with minimal rest, rest for around 90 sec and repeate, after 3 sets I move to next triad.

Triad 1:
BB Decline 3x12-15
DB Deadlift 3x10-12
Lat Pulldown 3x12-15

Triad 2:
Leg Press 3x12-15
Seated Cable Row 3x12-15
DB Lunges 3x10-12

Triad 3:
DB Cuban Press 3x8-10
Calf Raises 3x12-15
Weighted Crunches 3x15-20

20min low intensity cardio.

I plan on doing this for 4 weeks, after that i will do the same but up the weight and lower the reps. After 8 weeks i plan on moving to something else.

Does this look like a solid routine for someone trying to get back into training?

As long as my diet is in check (along with hard-work and dedication) is my goal with-in reach?

lil ox
07-19-07, 4:55 pm
I think your goals are easily obtainable bro. Personaly I would drop the full body workout and focus on specific muscle groups. If you do that same routine for 4 weeks your body will be so used to it that you would be wasting your time. Try splitting up body parts i.e. chest and tri's one day, legs and bi's one day, back and shoulders and so on. Try 3-4 exercises pre group and change your sets, reps, weights, and exercises every week. Do some research and find out for yourself. Got a favorite protein shake? If not get one bro.

Maccabee
07-19-07, 11:10 pm
This is the split I would follow if I wanted to gain 10 lbs in 100 days.

Sunday- Chest, Forearms
Monday- Legs
Tuesday- OFF
Wednesday- Shoulders, Triceps
Thursday- Back, Biceps
Friday- OFF
Saturday- OFF

Start off takinf 1 gram of protien per body pound. I would take 2 grams of carbs per lb of body weight. After that just increase it slowly once you stop gaining weight.

Drink a minimum of one gallon of water a day. Slowly increase it to two gallons in time.
Add in deads, squats, and other compound movements into your routine. Thats the only way your going to gain 10 lbs in 100 days. Eat big, Lift big, and dont forget to sleep big. Peace

Lowdown5
07-19-07, 11:12 pm
This is the split I would follow if I wanted to gain 10 lbs in 100 days.

Sunday- Chest, Forearms
Monday- Legs
Tuesday- OFF
Wednesday- Shoulders, Triceps
Thursday- Back, Biceps
Friday- OFF
Saturday- OFF

Start off takinf 1 gram of protien per body pound. I would take 2 grams of carbs per lb of body weight. After that just increase it slowly once you stop gaining weight.

Drink a minimum of one gallon of water a day. Slowly increase it to two gallons in time.
Add in deads, squats, and other compound movements into your routine. Thats the only way your going to gain 10 lbs in 100 days. Eat big, Lift big, and dont forget to sleep big. Peace

Agree

hjayss
07-20-07, 1:09 am
what is your schedule like are you flexible with the routine at all because I agree with little ox and pokritel. The full body thing ahhh good to start out for a few weeks but you gotta give each part its own day in the gym to really get things pumping.The diet and sleep are very important as well. Let us know even pm if you want bro.

Tydis
07-22-07, 12:34 pm
hey guys, quick update.

I started doing a 4 day split with some cardio on the off days.

Love it.

Thanks for the support.

Armygrunt71
07-25-07, 11:29 am
To my brother's and sisters in iron,

I started on the Animal Pak and Cuts today which I hope to reach my goal in two cycles. I am currently 240lbs (starting after back issues) and am looking to get back to 200 but no less than 195.
My current lifting schedule is 6 days on and 1 day off. My overall goal is to lose the fat on my body and gain in size, strength with definition. I first must beat the fat. (genetics is not my firend but, I want to beat it a bit somehow. I am 36, 240lbs.

Chest/Tri’s
Flat Bench Dumbell Press, Dumbell Fly, Flat Bench Press/machine, Butter fly press.
Seated two hand overhead extensions, Skull Crushers, Dips and Rope Pressdown.

Back/Bi’s
Reverse Grip lat pulldown, Lat pulldown to the front, Bent over row, Wide grip seated row..
Hammer Curls, Ez Bar Curl, Rope hammer curl and concentration curls.

Shoulders/Legs
Machine Shoulder Press, Seated Dumbell Press, Seated Dumbell Raises Lateral and Shoulder Shrugs with Dumbells...
Leg Press, Seated Leg Lifts, seated Leg curl and ralf raises.

I also throw in abs there to.

Since being in Iraq I am limited on time so I get up at 5am (Take the Cuts) go for a 2-3 mile run depending on the day.(run 3-4 times a week with a break in between runs for recovery) Eat chow between 0730-0800 then take the Animal Pak 30 mins after chow. I usually lift about 10am and then the rest of the afternoon is work. I plan to take the 2nd Cuts packet at 1500. As for sleep well I get to bed between 2200-2300 each night. I know I need more but that is not possible. If this sounds ok let me know.
As for the diet I am doing the best I can but, there are no real eggs here. Just carton stuff. If there is anyone else stationed here that has some good ideas on meals please let me know. I do not drink soda or juice. I chug about 10 bottles of water a day if not more. No fried foods and a lot of chicken or turkey. Sometimes veggie food with curry.
Any help, guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have included where I am at, goals, and routine and meal's. if there is anything else that will help let me know.

Thank you.

Rick

dominatetheiron
07-25-07, 11:41 am
To my brother's and sisters in iron,

I started on the Animal Pak and Cuts today which I hope to reach my goal in two cycles. I am currently 240lbs (starting after back issues) and am looking to get back to 200 but no less than 195.
My current lifting schedule is 6 days on and 1 day off. My overall goal is to lose the fat on my body and gain in size, strength with definition. I first must beat the fat. (genetics is not my firend but, I want to beat it a bit somehow. I am 36, 240lbs.

Chest/Tri’s
Flat Bench Dumbell Press, Dumbell Fly, Flat Bench Press/machine, Butter fly press.
Seated two hand overhead extensions, Skull Crushers, Dips and Rope Pressdown.

Back/Bi’s
Reverse Grip lat pulldown, Lat pulldown to the front, Bent over row, Wide grip seated row..
Hammer Curls, Ez Bar Curl, Rope hammer curl and concentration curls.

Shoulders/Legs
Machine Shoulder Press, Seated Dumbell Press, Seated Dumbell Raises Lateral and Shoulder Shrugs with Dumbells...
Leg Press, Seated Leg Lifts, seated Leg curl and ralf raises.

I also throw in abs there to.

Since being in Iraq I am limited on time so I get up at 5am (Take the Cuts) go for a 2-3 mile run depending on the day.(run 3-4 times a week with a break in between runs for recovery) Eat chow between 0730-0800 then take the Animal Pak 30 mins after chow. I usually lift about 10am and then the rest of the afternoon is work. I plan to take the 2nd Cuts packet at 1500. As for sleep well I get to bed between 2200-2300 each night. I know I need more but that is not possible. If this sounds ok let me know.
As for the diet I am doing the best I can but, there are no real eggs here. Just carton stuff. If there is anyone else stationed here that has some good ideas on meals please let me know. I do not drink soda or juice. I chug about 10 bottles of water a day if not more. No fried foods and a lot of chicken or turkey. Sometimes veggie food with curry.
Any help, guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have included where I am at, goals, and routine and meal's. if there is anything else that will help let me know.

Thank you.

Rick

make your diet as nutritionally sound as it can be under your circumstances, second keep on the cardio or even step it up if you can to help burn fat. third you cants lose fat and gain mass. so to lose fat i guess you can either up the cardio and lift real heavy to keep strength or you can keep the cardio constant use a lighter weight load with higher reps to burn fat while you workout.

Slivovica
07-27-07, 2:03 pm
Hey happy to throw my 2 cents down,
i would look at altering your split but thats just my opinion if your happy with it by all means stay on it i would go with something like this

Chest
Back
Legs(Quads/Hams/Calves)
Arms (Bi's/Tri's/Shoulders)

On chest day i would also scrap the flatbench press/machine in place of incline bench press either dumbell or barbell if either are accessible.

On back day i would throw in some deadlifts and cut down on the bicep work you only need 9-12 sets so stick to the basics olympic curls, hammer curls and some preacher curls all for 3 sets.

On shoulder day i would scrap the machine press and throw in some upright rows and bent over flies. And finally on leg day id try throw some squats in there if possible or atleast hack squats.

I hope that helps somewhat just an outsiders opinion if you want some further help feel free to pm me.

colossul
08-26-07, 8:50 pm
Hardcore Animal Workout:

Legs & Shoulders
Back & Triceps
Chest & Biceps

Day 1- Morning Workout

Leg Extensions; 4 sets 8-15 reps 2 sets 10,10,2,20.
Squats; 6 sets 6-20 reps.
Calf Raises; 5 sets failure
45-degree Leg Press; 4 sets 8-15 reps
Leg Press Calf Raises; 2 sets failure

Evening Workout

Dumbell Press; 4 sets 8-12 reps
Side Laterals; 4 sets 12-15 reps
Machine Press; 4 sets 8-15 reps
Lateral Machine; 4 sets 12-15 reps

Day 2- Morning Workout

Lat Pulldowns; 4 sets 8-15 reps
Dumbell Rows; 4 sets 12-15 reps
Barbell Rows; 4 sets 15 reps
T-Bar Rows; 4 sets 12-15 reps
Hyper-Extensions; 3 sets 15 reps
Seated Cabel Rows; 4 sets 8-15 reps
Shrugs; 4 sets failure

Evening Workout

Tricep Pushdowns; 4 sets 15 reps
Close Grip Bench Press; 6 sets 8-12 reps
Tricep Extensions; 5 sets failure
Hanging Legs Raises; 4 sets 25 reps
Decline Crunches; 3 sets 20 reps
Pullover Crunch; 3 sets 20 reps

Day 3- Morning Workout

Incline Barbell Bench Press; 4 sets 15,10,8,6
Dumbell Flat Press; 4 sets 12,10,10,8
Incline Dumbell Flyes; 3 sets 15 reps
Flat Dumbell Flyes; 3 sets 15 reps
Decline Dumbell Press; 3 sets 8-12 reps
Cable Crossovers; 3 sets failure

Evening Workout

Barbell Curl; 4 sets 6-10 reps
Dumbell Curl; 4 sets 8-12 reps
E-z Bar Curl; 4 sets 8-12 reps

Day 4- Morning Workout

45 degree Leg Press; 4 sets 8-15 reps 2 sets 10,10,2,20.
Leg Extensions; 4 sets 8-20 reps
Squats; 6 sets 6-20 reps
Leg Press Calf Raises-5 sets failure
Calf Raises-2 sets failure

Evening Workout

Lateral Machine; 4 sets 8-15 reps
Machine Press; 6 sets 8-15 reps
Side Laterals; 4 sets 12-15 reps
Dumbell Press; 4 sets 8-12 reps

Day 5- Morning Workout

Dumbell Rows; 4 sets 12-15 reps
T-Bar Rows; 4 sets 8-15 reps
Lat-Pulldowns; 4 sets 12-15 reps
Barbell Rows; 4 sets 10-15 reps
Hyper-Extensions; 3 sets 15 reps
Seated Cabel Rows; 4 sets 8-15 reps
Shrugs; 4 sets failure

Evening Workout

Hayneys; 4 sets 8-10 reps
Close Grip Bench Press; 6 sets 8-12 reps
Spread'ems; 4 sets 15 reps
Hanging Legs Raises; 4 sets 25 reps
Decline Crunches; 3 sets 20 reps

Day 6- Morning Workout

Decline Dumbell Press; 4 sets 8-12 reps
Flat Bench Press; 4 sets 6-12 reps
Cable Crossovers; 3 sets failure
Incline Press; 4 sets 6-10 reps
Flyes; 3 sets 15 reps
Incline Flyes; 3 sets 15 reps

Evening Workout

Nautilus Curls; 3 sets 20 reps
Barbell Curls; 4 sets 8-10 reps
Hammer Curls; 4 sets 8-15 reps
Cable Curls; 4 sets 8-15 reps
Hanging Leg Raises; 3 sets 20 reps

Day 7- rest

Do you think this will help me gain slabs of muscle? Or am I going to overtrain?
I'm an endomorph so I tend not to overtrain that easily but I guess it's still
possible. How much would I have to eat to pull this off? Change anything that you think needs changing

dyskee
08-27-07, 2:13 am
hey brother it depends on your own goals , i mean i am an endo-meso so i think i know what you are trying to acheive cause i have been there so if you are going to train six days a week i suggest doing g diesel's routine the circuit breaker followed by 20 mins of hit cardio and a can of cuts thats the best combo ever i done it and i lost 22 kilograms in 4 months. i think that endo's respond better to high volume workouts and thats how i keep in shape now and continue to GROW

Mento
08-28-07, 7:57 pm
I am starting a new routine and would like some input from the Animals...

Day 1
Squats 4x6-10
BB Bench Presses 4x6-10
BB Rows 4x6-10
Ab Work

Day 2: off

Day 3
Standing Military Presses 4x6-10
BB Curls 4x6-10
Dips 4x6-10
Deadlifts 4x6-10

Day 4: off

Day 5
Squats 4x6-10
Incline Presses 4x6-10
Pull-ups 4x6-10
Ab work

Day 6 and 7 off then repeat.

Will work up to max set of reps and then add weight and then repeat this process. Will also include calf work in between workout days. Will add to it as I receive good input too. Thanks guys.

Maccabee
08-28-07, 9:00 pm
Try it out and see if it works for ya. Most of all since your doing just about 4 sets per bodypart you must do it high intensity. Give it all you got and unleash hell.

Mento
08-28-07, 10:11 pm
Well like I said, I'm gonna push myself to the max set of reps and then add weight in the next workout once I reach the max reps in an exercise. So it's gonna be to failure with just about every exercise.

Core
08-29-07, 12:55 am
I like it. It's solid and covers all the bases. Like Pokoritel said, just give it your all. Just for me, I can't press three times a week, my shoulders cave. Let us know how it goes.

hjayss
08-29-07, 2:58 am
you are doing this then
day one
quads
chest
back
abs
day two
shoulders
bi's
tri's
back
day three
quads
chest
back
abs
so you are doing a circuit...because you are hitting major muscles more than once a week on a three day split...

Mento
08-30-07, 11:00 pm
Yeah I suppose you can call it a circuit. I'm just getting into my 2nd week doing it and so far I have made a slight strength increase. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. Thanks for the comments so far.

Mento
09-06-07, 10:27 pm
I'm heading into my third week of this routine and I'm making strength increases already. I still think it's too early to determine if I'm gaining mass though. I'll keep track though.

hjayss
09-07-07, 4:39 am
I'm heading into my third week of this routine and I'm making strength increases already. I still think it's too early to determine if I'm gaining mass though. I'll keep track though.

Hey if you got the time start a log we could give you pointer and you can have everything in black and white...

forumname05
09-08-07, 3:12 pm
So, I've been at it now for about 4 months and am now hooked on training! I'm very happy with my progress and motivation concidering I'm doing it all alone.

I started a new routine this past week which I put together by utilizing different advice on here and a mix of a few routines, etc.

Monday - Chest & Biceps
Barbell Flat Bench - 1x12, 1x10, 2x8...sometimes I'll add a 1x20 pump set
Dumbell Incline Bench - 1x10, 2x8
Barbell Decline Bench - 1x10, 2x8
Barbell Curl - 1x12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x6
EZ Bar Curl - 2x8, 1x6

Tuesday - Legs
10 Min. stationary bike warm-up
Squat - 1x12, 1x10, 2x8
Leg press - 1x10, 2x8
Leg extension - 1x10, 2x8
Leg curl - 1x10, 2x8

Thursday - Back
Deadlift - 1x12, 1x10, 2x8
Barbell Row - 1x10, 2x8
Assisted Chin-up - 1x10, 2x8
Cable Pull-down - 1x10, 2x8

Saturday - Shoulders & Triceps
Barbell shoulder press - 1x12, 1x10, 2x8
Dumbell Arnold style Military Press - 1x10, 2x8
Bent over laterals (these tend to really hurt my left shoulder, so I'll figure out something to replace them with) - 1x10, 2x8
Cable Pushdown - 1x12, 1x10, 2x8
Dumbell Kickback - 1x10, 2x8

At the end of each routine everyday I'll perform 2 light ab workouts out of the following:
Leg raisers flat bench - 4x20
Leg raisers hanging - 4x20
Decline sit-up - 4x20
Flat bench sit-up - 4x20
These will be modified/mixed up with various techniques, some 'around the world', some slower then others, etc.

Right now the above routine is roughly set-up & basic and will be modified as I go on, sets/reps will be mixed around as well as adding various other workouts etc. I'll try to mix it up as much as I can...different workouts, barbell vs. dumbell and vica versa, etc. etc.

What do you guys think? Anything to add, recommendations?
Should I change different workouts to lay on different days etc?
Could I possibly perform this routine Monday to Thursday straight through or Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday or would I be best as it is above?

In regards to arms...should I perform them as I described bove? (Chest & Biceps, Shoulders & Triceps) or should they be reversed or any of the workouts above be performed in a different order?

This past Tuesday was my first day ever training legs...holy shit was I swore on Thursday!!! It's now Saturday and my legs are still not 100% normal.

Thanks again!

ShaqFu
09-08-07, 3:16 pm
Glad to hear you're hooked man, I know exactly what you're talking about. As far as the routine goes, it looks pretty solid, I don't think I'm in the position to critique your personal beliefs, but it looks like you covered the bases. I'm glad to see that you're doing legs now, working out my legs changed everything. It releases the most testosterone so in the long run building legs will help you build a bigger body. Keep us all updated on your progress because I curious to see how you do in a couple weeks. Keep it up brotha.
ShaqFu

forumname05
09-08-07, 5:17 pm
Today I did shoulders & triceps which was great!

I attempted bent over laterals again and during the first set I realized again why I need to replace them with something else...out of nowhere I'll get this evil click/pop or even grinding action in my left shoulder which kills and makes the next rep impossible, I really have to get it checked out and don't want to cause any more damage. Barbell presses, Dumbell Military presses and a shoulder press machine I used today are all fine with my shoulder though.

I still can't believe how swore I still am in my legs, going down stairs was murder on Thursday (did legs on Tuesday).
I'll go lighter this week because I don't want to be nearly as swore, with my job I really can't be swore like that...at any given time I have to be able to run/sprint my ass off and depending on the situation it can mean a damn lot!

Glad to hear you're hooked man, I know exactly what you're talking about. As far as the routine goes, it looks pretty solid, I don't think I'm in the position to critique your personal beliefs, but it looks like you covered the bases. I'm glad to see that you're doing legs now, working out my legs changed everything. It releases the most testosterone so in the long run building legs will help you build a bigger body. Keep us all updated on your progress because I curious to see how you do in a couple weeks. Keep it up brotha.
ShaqFu

Thanks alot man, I'm pretty psyched on it

ShaqFu
09-08-07, 6:12 pm
Sick man, glad to hear it went well today, sounds like you're well on your way. As far as your shoulders go, I sometimes get the same feeling when I'm not doing a pressing motion, like if I do a lateral or front raise. Try doing standing lateral raises or standing front raises if the bent over ones aren't working out for ya.
Dude somedays when I lift legs, it takes the full 7 days before I'm ready to hit em' again so shit dude, I hear ya. I go to college on a hill so leg day blows cuz I'm walking up and down stairs all damn day with the soreness. Keep it up brotha.
ShaqFu

jonsbsn
09-08-07, 9:57 pm
wow... that is my routine to a T except the order is a LITTLE different but the spacing is the same... I would give yourself a solid 3 days off in between shoulder/tri and chest... this allows them to rest more so my chest can work that much harder. In other words you might want to switch shoulder/tri to thursday and legs to Friday.

Anyway, a few ideas to improve your routine. Do more hamstrings! You are killing your quads. I would add a compound hamstring exercise such as romanian deadlift. You don't tri to build big quads with just ext so don't try to build big hams with just curls.

As far as shoulders go I would definitly do lateral rases (standing) to hit the medial delts. Hopefully that does not hurt your shoulder because it will make you WIDE in the shoulders.

A good replacement for bent over lateral rases: try pull to the nose. Do a seated row except pull the bar to your nose instead of your chest and really focus on those rear delts. It is very important to hit those rear delts though because it really fills out your shoulder. If it still bothers you take a break and do rotater cuff exercises (look a few up online... this may help)

And finally on back, don't be afraid to go heavy (sets of 5 or below) for your last 2 or 3 deadlift sets. As long as your form is PERFECT, go as low as 3, 2, or 1 rep! It works great! And maybe add one more row exercise such as t-bar or one arm db row. And don't do chins, do wide grip (+ or - 4'' wider then shoulder width but no more or you can damage your shoulder) if you want wide lats! Chins are ok but it hits your biceps a little too much...

ok thats my advice, take it or leave it! Good luck and lift heavy bro!

cuts280
09-08-07, 11:47 pm
So, I've been at it now for about 4 months and am now hooked on training! I'm very happy with my progress and motivation concidering I'm doing it all alone.

I started a new routine this past week which I put together by utilizing different advice on here and a mix of a few routines, etc.

Monday - Chest & Biceps
EZ Bar Curl - 2x8, 1x6

Tuesday - Legs
Squat - 1x12, 1x10, 2x8
Leg press - 1x10, 2x8
Leg curl - 1x10, 2x8

Thursday - Back
Barbell Row - 1x10, 2x8

Bent over laterals (these tend to really hurt my left shoulder, so I'll figure out something to replace them with) - 1x10, 2x8

At the end of each routine everyday I'll perform 2 light ab workouts out of the following:
Decline sit-up - 4x20
Flat bench sit-up - 4x20
These will be modified/mixed up with various techniques, some 'around the world', some slower then others, etc.

Right now the above routine is roughly set-up & basic and will be modified as I go on, sets/reps will be mixed around as well as adding various other workouts etc. I'll try to mix it up as much as I can...different workouts, barbell vs. dumbell and vica versa, etc. etc.

Could I possibly perform this routine Monday to Thursday straight through or Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday or would I be best as it is above?

In regards to arms...should I perform them as I described bove? (Chest & Biceps, Shoulders & Triceps) or should they be reversed or any of the workouts above be performed in a different order?

This past Tuesday was my first day ever training legs...holy shit was I swore on Thursday!!! It's now Saturday and my legs are still not 100% normal.

Thanks again!

Routine is good enough although some minor changes might help.

Chest :

Rather then doing 3 pressing movements do two and add a fly movement instead.

Biceps :

Barbell curl and ez bar curls in same workout are unnecessary. Rather alternate between the two. Do a Barbell curl or ez-bar curl followed by hammer curl.

Legs :

Legs look good. Try adding a stiff leg deadlift. Instead of leg press try adding lunges which I feel is a great movement. WHY NO CALF WORK??????

Back :

Looks great.

Shoulders :

Instead of Arnold style military press I would choose laterals as they seem to be missing in your workout.

Triceps :

I would rather choose parallel bar dips or close grip bench press followed by lying tricep extns.

Good luck.

MassMonster
09-08-07, 11:51 pm

Monday - Chest & Biceps
EZ Bar Curl - 2x8, 1x6

Tuesday - Legs
Squat - 1x12, 1x10, 2x8
Leg press - 1x10, 2x8
Leg curl - 1x10, 2x8

Thursday - Back
Barbell Row - 1x10, 2x8

Decline sit-up - 4x20
Flat bench sit-up - 4x20

Thanks again!

Ok for your leg day add Stiffleg deads, and some switch in front squats or hacks and lunges...

loose the decline presses they work your delts not really your chest/.... stick to incline and a lil bit of flat... other wise looks good

jonsbsn
09-09-07, 12:23 pm
Ok for your leg day add Stiffleg deads, and some switch in front squats or hacks and lunges...

loose the decline presses they work your delts not really your chest/.... stick to incline and a lil bit of flat... other wise looks good

yeah, I don't do decline... do weighted dips instead... wonderful movement! Pull overs is another solid chest exercise!

MassMonster
09-09-07, 4:59 pm
yeah, I don't do decline... do weighted dips instead... wonderful movement! Pull overs is another solid chest exercise!

pull overs are excellent... the greatest thing is it works the seratus which can also be classified for back so u can switch um to a back day if need be...

ironshaolin
09-09-07, 8:00 pm
I actually use the same muscle split myself, only arranged slightly different. Good stuff, for the most part. A few things, first off, how old are you? You have good mass movements for all muscle groups, except triceps. In my opinion, kickbacks are a complete waste of time. If I was you, I would change the tricep routine to be weighted dips if possible, if not bodyweight will suffice, and skull crushers. OR, close grip benches. Next, I might think about adding another rowing move to your back. Personally I like to start back day with pullups, always. But I would throw on either t-bar rows, or seated rows to add a thickness move to that back routine. If you're making progress, hey stick with it. Remember, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Pizzalamp
09-09-07, 8:58 pm
For biceps I love the incline curl-i always get a painful pump
Arnold even used it a lot so i figure its gotta be good

Mento
09-10-07, 11:59 pm
Cool. I'll start one when I get the time. Kind of got alot going on right now. But I'll definately start one.

forumname05
09-11-07, 7:25 pm
Alright guys, lots of great information and suggestions coming in so far.
I'm 24 but, pretty much a newbie with this, so all the recommendations are great, but I'm now HOOKED!

Unfortunately everything this week will get pushed back by a day (we'll see how that works out), I got caught up at work with something and never came home Monday morning and as a result was not able to workout.
Today (Tuesday) I did the Monday routine you see below and it was PHENOMENAL!
The pump I got today was one of the best I've ever had, when I was doing hammer curls my arms looked rediculous, it kind of made me scared at first a little bit. My fukin' veins looked like garden hoses, much more than I've ever seen before on myself...is there anything bad that could happen by any chance?

Well, I've modified the routine with all your suggestions and here's where it's at now: (I'll also deviate from this format by using other workouts suggested and try to mix it up whenever possible).

Monday - Chest & Biceps
Dumbell Fly's - 1x10, 2x8
Dumbel Flat Bench - 1x10, 2x8
Hammer Curl - 2x8, 1x6

Tuesday - Legs
Squat - 1x12, 1x10, 2x8
Stiff Legged Deadlift - 1x10, 2x8
Leg press - 1x10, 2x8
Calf Raisers - 1x10, 2x8

Thursday - Back
Barbell Row - 1x10, 2x8
Assisted Chin-up (wide grip) - 1x10, 2x8

Standing Laterals - 1x10, 2x8
Assisted Dip - 1x12, 1x10, 2x8
Close Grip Barbell Bench - 1x10, 2x8

Decline sit-up - 4x20
Flat bench sit-up - 4x20

jonsbsn
09-11-07, 10:01 pm
Alright guys, lots of great information and suggestions coming in so far.
I'm 24 but, pretty much a newbie with this, so all the recommendations are great, but I'm now HOOKED!

Unfortunately everything this week will get pushed back by a day (we'll see how that works out), I got caught up at work with something and never came home Monday morning and as a result was not able to workout.
Today (Tuesday) I did the Monday routine you see below and it was PHENOMENAL!
The pump I got today was one of the best I've ever had, when I was doing hammer curls my arms looked rediculous, it kind of made me scared at first a little bit. My fukin' veins looked like garden hoses, much more than I've ever seen before on myself...is there anything bad that could happen by any chance?

Well, I've modified the routine with all your suggestions and here's where it's at now: (I'll also deviate from this format by using other workouts suggested and try to mix it up whenever possible).

Monday - Chest & Biceps
Dumbel Flat Bench - 1x10, 2x8
Hammer Curl - 2x8, 1x6

Tuesday - Legs
Squat - 1x12, 1x10, 2x8
Leg press - 1x10, 2x8
Calf Raisers - 1x10, 2x8

Thursday - Back
Barbell Row - 1x10, 2x8

Standing Laterals - 1x10, 2x8

Decline sit-up - 4x20
Flat bench sit-up - 4x20

Good, but you took out your rear delts all together on shoulder day. Why not do pull to the nose.

I might also throw in one more row as that's your shortest day. Pull from a different angle, try t-bar or seated row.

I wouldn't do flys before my presses. Flat db AND flat bb is overkill. Do this Flat, incline, fly, db pullovers. Pullovers make you thick man, I'm tellin' ya.

You could add cable press down for tris too... It works good to superset your skull crushers and close grip. (do a set of skull crushers to failure and immediately rep out some presses.

Legs look good!

forumname05
09-12-07, 10:08 am
Can someone elaborate exactly what the term "superset" means exactly and give me examples on where it would be best to utilize that technique?

Keep the info. and suggestions coming guys, thanks again for all your help and motivation!

Ok, here we go...the routine finessed even further:

Monday - Chest & Biceps
Dumbel Pullover - 1x10, 2x8
Hammer Curl - 2x8, 1x6

Tuesday - Legs
Squat - 1x12, 1x10, 2x8
Leg press - 1x10, 2x8
Calf Raisers - 1x10, 2x8

Thursday - Back
Barbell Row - 1x10, 2x8
Seated Row - 1x10, 2x8

Upright Row (is that "pull to nose"?) - 1x10, 2x8
Front Raises (or am I better off w/ Standing Laterals?) - 1x10, 2x8

colossul
09-19-07, 10:50 pm
Sunday-Powerday
Squats 5x5,1x20 widowmaker set
1x20 pullovers
Deads 5x5
1x20 pullovers
Bench 5x5
Abs and calves

Monday-Chest
Incline Bench; 4 sets 10-4
Flat Dumbell; 4 sets 10-6
Flat Flyes; 3 sets failure
Incline Flyes; 3 sets failure
Dips 3 sets failure

Tuesday-Back and Bi's

Lat-Pulldowns 4 sets 8-15 reps
Seated Rows 4 sets 6-10 reps
Pull-ups 3 sets failure
T-bar rows 4 sets 6-10 reps
Barbell rows 4 sets 8-10 reps
Dumbell Rows 3-4 sets 10 reps

Wednesday-Powerday
same as sunday

Thursday-Shoulders
military press 4 sets
dumbell press 4 sets
side laterals 2 sets
shrugs 3 sets
Machine Press 4-5 sets

Friday-legs
leg press 5 sets
Extensions 4 sets
Lunges 2 sets
Leg Curls 4 sets
calves and abs

Saturday-abs and calves

Sunday-repeat

Angst
09-19-07, 11:05 pm
It seems a little overkill to me, but everyone's recovery rate is different. Make sure you're getting enough rest and eat big, get it a try and see if it works for you.

Pizzalamp
09-19-07, 11:15 pm
me personally i would reduce volume and allow at least 2 rest days. For shoulders I would just do 1 type of press instead of 3 presses. For legs, dont forget squats.
Are u doing any direct arm work? or just indirect arm work?
Maybe reduce chest work? maybe do incline and flat presses, a nice incline fly, and then finish off w/ dips.

BoondockSaint
09-20-07, 6:19 am
Looks like a solid workout sched. , however, if it were me, I would combine something (or drop 1 of the 2 power days) and add a rest day in. With all the volume and power lifting you have in there, your body wont be able to recover in time for all your workouts. Peace

never_2_big
09-20-07, 8:46 am
dude you gotta really thunk about what youre doing. youre going for a 5x5 bench on sunday which if youre doing it right should tear you to pieces but youre going to back up the next day and train your chest, in my opinion not a real good idea.

then on wednesday youre looking at heavy deads after a massive back session the day before, again definately not the smartest thing if youre really looking to get some solid strength from your power days.

heres somethin i would probably try

sunday
chest w/ 5x5 bench

monday off

tuesday
legs w/ 5x5 squat

wednesday off

thursday delts

friday
back w/ 5x5 deads

saturday small group training or off day

easy stuff there and youre gettin solid rest time

this is just a thought man im not trying to hijack your workout or nothin.

Giant Killer
09-20-07, 12:45 pm
I would definitely take a day off after that powerday.

Ronnie Chop
09-20-07, 12:52 pm
Sunday-Powerday
Squats 5x5,1x20 widowmaker set
1x20 pullovers
Deads 5x5
1x20 pullovers
Bench 5x5
Abs and calves

Monday-Chest
Incline Bench; 4 sets 10-4
Flat Dumbell; 4 sets 10-6
Flat Flyes; 3 sets failure
Incline Flyes; 3 sets failure
Dips 3 sets failure

Tuesday-Back and Bi's

Lat-Pulldowns 4 sets 8-15 reps
Seated Rows 4 sets 6-10 reps
Pull-ups 3 sets failure
T-bar rows 4 sets 6-10 reps
Barbell rows 4 sets 8-10 reps
Dumbell Rows 3-4 sets 10 reps

Wednesday-Powerday
same as sunday

Thursday-Shoulders
military press 4 sets
dumbell press 4 sets
side laterals 2 sets
shrugs 3 sets
Machine Press 4-5 sets

Friday-legs
leg press 5 sets
Extensions 4 sets
Lunges 2 sets
Leg Curls 4 sets
calves and abs

Saturday-abs and calves

Sunday-repeat

You'd have to eat 5000 cals and sleep 12 hours a day to keep up with that schedule... LOL

LegendKillerJosh
09-20-07, 3:37 pm
It seems major overkill to me. Besides what everyone else said about doing the power day and chest 2 days in a row, even just that back workout on tuesday is way too many sets for one body part. You can't recover from that many sets and workouts in a week.

freeride
09-20-07, 11:38 pm
Your Sunday is basically three days of my week. Given, I'm a Strongman athlete, not a bodybuilder, but that's ridiculous. If you do any of the three there (squat, deadlift, or bench) properly, I'm not sure you should have the energy to do much else, much less TWO other major exercises. I can't squat and deadlift on two CONSECUTIVE days, much less the same day.

I'm all for working hard, dude, but I don't see how this can work for anyone.

p john
10-11-07, 11:59 pm
my chest has been a problem since day one ive tried this before but much didnt happen im gonna try it agian with some differnt approaches wanted to hear what the bros had to say about this idea. i strat monday with chest tris as a priority and now im thinking that i can also put chest with shoulders on thrusday after legs (Tue) and an off day(wed)

training chest twice a week
Monday
Incline 5x 6-8
flat 4x 8-10
decline 4x 10-12
seated incline cables 4x 12-15
decline cables 4x 10-12
then usually two to three tricep moves finshed off with dips 3x to failure

Thrusday
i start off shoulders with a rotator cuff warm up 10lbs
i like to do my shoulders front middle rear usually super setting my laterial raises for middle and rear
clean and press 5x 8-10
laterial/bent laterial raises 4x 8-10
aronlds 4x 8-12
wide upright rows 4x 8-10
reverse pec dec 4x 12-15
shrugs 5x 8-6(barbell) 8-10(dumbell)
nows where im thinkin i can do a few more sets of some upper chest i was thinking
incline flys 3x 8-10
mayb a 60 degree incline bench or steeper? 3x6-8

im upping my protein intake to around 250grams a day now and i kno it takes time so just give me ur thoughts on the work out what tricks might trigger some new growth alrite holla at ya boy thanks

MvWarrior27
10-13-07, 10:19 am
I just can't find a good routine, anyone got a link?

Lowdown5
10-13-07, 10:22 am

Top of the page, under training. Or use search.

norrim1
10-13-07, 11:27 am

You can download the Animal Owners Manual. There are various routines included in there as well as expert advice on supplementation. There's many rountines on here that you can view by using the search function or by just looking at recent threads and seeing what some of the forvm users do.

Giant Killer
10-13-07, 11:31 am
Lot's of solid routines here brother: http://www.animalpak.com/html/sections.cfm?id=32

JohnSell
11-14-07, 5:06 pm
I been gaining size, but i think its time to change up my routine. Since i was trying to build mass but at the same time try to get my bench for 1x315, I was thinking on doing 2 chest days, one for maxing out, and one for endurance.

OLD ROUTINE
Monday: Chest/calves/abs
Tuesday: Shoulders/traps/abs
Wed: Rest
Thursday: Bi's/Tri's/forearms/abs
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Back/abs
Sunday: Quads/Hams/Calves

That was working pretty good, but im thinking on this new routine.

NEW ROUTINE
Monday: Heavy Chest/Tri's/calves
Tuesday Shoulders/Bi's/traps/forearms
Thursday:Quads/Hams/Calves
Saturday: Endurance Chest/Tri's/abs
Sunday: Back/Bi's/abs/forearm

Im going to be taking a good sup stack for recovery(check my sig), so overall i think the chest will have plenty of time to recover. Tell me what you think fellas. Peace

Giant Killer
11-14-07, 5:07 pm
How long did you do your Old routine for?

JohnSell
11-14-07, 5:22 pm
A good while, im saying atleast around 4 months

Lunatic001
11-14-07, 5:47 pm
I been gaining size, but i think its time to change up my routine. Since i was trying to build mass but at the same time try to get my bench for 1x315, I was thinking on doing 2 chest days, one for maxing out, and one for endurance.

OLD ROUTINE
Monday: Chest/calves/abs
Tuesday: Shoulders/traps/abs
Thursday: Bi's/Tri's/forearms/abs
Saturday: Back/abs
Sunday: Quads/Hams/Calves

That was working pretty good, but im thinking on this new routine.

NEW ROUTINE
Monday: Heavy Chest/Tri's/calves
Tuesday Shoulders/Bi's/traps/forearms
Thursday:Quads/Hams/Calves
Saturday: Endurance Chest/Tri's/abs
Sunday: Back/Bi's/abs/forearm

Im going to be taking a good sup stack for recovery(check my sig), so overall i think the chest will have plenty of time to recover. Tell me what you think fellas. Peace

I think it looks good but since you are trying to build strength keep it simple. Heavy weight in the compounds and focus on the squeeze during isolation movements and you'll get there in no time......I really don't believe in endurance training. I tend to go heavy especially if I have a good spotter...push the limits....and 315 will be just around the corner....

ChandlerXJ
11-15-07, 12:55 am
bro- you are doing way too much in your new routine. I would keep it simple, very simple.

Max on the same day as endurance man.

How about this for simplistic.

Legs
Chest
off
arms - include forearms
back
off
shoulders - include traps
Day 1, everything shifts down a slot

Hit calves every 2nd day if you want. Keep it simple and heavy.

twisted_steel
11-20-07, 10:17 am
Ok guys, im starting a new routine to change things up. I would love it if all of yous could critique it. Mostly i wanna know how if it looks like its gonna be lacking some groups or if its complete and what youd add or subtract. All the moves are done with explosive contraction and slow eccentric movement.

-clean pull with shrug at the top(barbell) 4 sets of 5
-front step(frotn squat position of bar, stepping up on a bench with one leg for complete set) 3 sets of 10
-good mornings
-push jerk(exploding shoulder press with barbell while going up into a toe stand then squatting while bar is at the top)4 sets of 10
-mixed grip pull ups(obvious)4 sets of max to failure
-reverse grip bench press(again, obvious, underhand grip)4 sets of 8-10
-one arm horizontal pullup(slow eccentric, explosive concentric)4 sets of max per arm, about 6.
-plank with weight transfer (while in a full plank, move a barbell from one side to the other with arms) do it for min or longer

about 60 second rest between each excercise.

JMC
11-20-07, 10:54 am
You've got a good group of compound movements there. What's the timing though, meaning, is this all one workout? Frequency? Are you training for something specific?

twisted_steel
11-20-07, 11:40 am
this work out is meant to be done 3-4 times a week with one day off always in between sessions. its supposed to last 4-6 weeks. im doing this work out to improve in explosive power, strength and speed...also to differently stimulate my cns. then im gonna switch into power strength training for the following couple months. im also thinking about ways of changing it up to make room for snatches and other lifts like that in case i love the work out and wanna keep at it for months to come rather than weeks.

damitramit
11-22-07, 1:29 am
I read this routine on a book....its supposed to help out..but it doesnt say how long to do it for....it seems pretty crazy im on my 2nd week of it..and i feel like im gettin a bit stronger or atleast not loosing strength..i dont wanna OVERTRAIN ....i did it just to shock my body cus i was doing the same ol routine for months already..but how long would it take to shock my body with this routine? im not tryin to be HUGE im just tryin to get a nice lean frame...check out the routine and lemme know what u think..cus i dont wanna over train...im also doing alot of cardio to burn excess fat..its 6 days in a row..then 1 day off..but im doing it 6days in a row..then 2 off..please help.

Workout 1
Chest
Back
Legs
Abs

Workout 2
Shoulders/Traps
Biceps
Triceps
Abs

day1: Workout 1
day2: Workout 2
day3: Workout 1
day4: Workout 2
day5: Workout 1
day6: Workout 2

norrim1
11-22-07, 1:42 am
I read this routine on a book....its supposed to help out..but it doesnt say how long to do it for....it seems pretty crazy im on my 2nd week of it..and i feel like im gettin a bit stronger or atleast not loosing strength..i dont wanna OVERTRAIN ....i did it just to shock my body cus i was doing the same ol routine for months already..but how long would it take to shock my body with this routine? im not tryin to be HUGE im just tryin to get a nice lean frame...check out the routine and lemme know what u think..cus i dont wanna over train...im also doing alot of cardio to burn excess fat..its 6 days in a row..then 1 day off..but im doing it 6days in a row..then 2 off..please help.

Workout 1
Chest
Back
Legs
Abs

Workout 2
Shoulders/Traps
Biceps
Triceps
Abs

day1: Workout 1
day2: Workout 2
day3: Workout 1
day4: Workout 2
day5: Workout 1
day6: Workout 2

Yeah that's a bit too much. That much training of individual bodyparts with the added cardio will bring your progress to a halt pretty fast. An upper/lower routine like that is geared more for someone that wants to put on some serious size. Typically, people who go with a program like that will go 2 days on, rest, 2 days on, rest and repeat.

damitramit
11-22-07, 1:50 am
Yeah that's a bit too much. That much training of individual bodyparts with the added cardio will bring your progress to a halt pretty fast. An upper/lower routine like that is geared more for someone that wants to put on some serious size. Typically, people who go with a program like that will go 2 days on, rest, 2 days on, rest and repeat.

so how long u think i should go for to shock my body? im on week two and i was thinking 4 weeks.. too much?

norrim1
11-22-07, 2:01 am
so how long u think i should go for to shock my body? im on week two and i was thinking 4 weeks.. too much?

That depends on your progress I guess. Have you been making consistant gains while on this particular program? If you are then by all means finish it out. You know your body best, if you feel like you need a change then back off a bit.

damitramit
11-22-07, 2:06 am
yeah i feel pretty good..the first week i only could do heavy weigth the 1st 2days then when i was sore i couldnt..this week i actually been able to lift the same weigth and even sqeeze 1 or 2 more reps..i think if i start feelin TOO tired ill back off cus i dont wanna over train..thanks mang i guess listen to the body huh? appreaciate it! :D

king1
11-22-07, 3:16 am
stick with it, but i would add in rest days.

Mr.Hardcore98
11-22-07, 10:02 am
way to much you might want to keep breaking down the muscle groups into different days

RenegadeRows
11-22-07, 8:55 pm
way to much you might want to keep breaking down the muscle groups into different days

im with him dude...that is just too much. break it down into a 2 on 1 off routine and work out a MAX of 2 musclegroups per day. Need somewhere to start? go to the animalpak.com front page and look at the top right for a link that says training... there are about 11 or 12 workout routines that just use the tried and true workouts that just plain WORK. no bullshit no frills...

Crash
11-23-07, 12:00 pm
Upon reviewing this is this not the same Training Routine that you posted a few weeks ago that is now sitting on page 5 of this section?

I'm going to tell you then, as I told you now. Train your Fucking Balls Off. Expect nothing less that 110% from yourself. That being said you need to take a look at your goals and adjust yourself accordingly.

You stated in your second post of the same question. that you are not trying to get Huge, rather shock your body. Well Breaking the cycle of Routine and Comfort comes in many different ways; Adding more weight, changing the order of the exercieses, doing different exercises, changing the intensity (I.E. Supersets, Dropsets, Giant Sets, Negatives, etc. etc.), Changing the order of bodyparts you work. The list is fucking endless. Do not be fooled into think some Gun Bunny Ciricut routine will add Strength and Mass, while at the same time keeping you ripped. Contrary to popular belief you can gain mass and stay lean at the same time. However, you are looking in the wrong department. Your Fucking Diet is where it all begins. Your Diet must be on point. And I mean on the Fucking Ball. You must have exactly enough nutrients in your system to support the muscle building process, yet not so much that the excess is stored as fat. Also expect your gains to be less than what you anticipate, it's much easier and productive to Bulk and Cut, than trying to have that beach body all year around.

After you have your diet in check, next is your training agenda. Carido needs to be done first thing in the morning on an empty stomach (minus your morning protein drink). When you train, time under tension is crucial. Anything under 6 reps, and you had better be adding a Dropset, Superset, something to keep working your target muscles. G-Diesel's "Circut Breaker" is something I highly recommend.

Now that I have answered your Question for a second time, it's time to get to fucking work. Overtraining does not exist, only Under-Eating and Under-Sleeping.

...Strength and Honor...

DaFr3aK
01-06-08, 2:35 am
i want to get a new routine from what i used 2 use anybody got any ideas??

dyskee
01-06-08, 9:37 am
start with the training section on the homepage or the aom =animal's owner manual.

here are 11 routines to choose from simple and effective choose one according to ur goals ie bulking cutting or maintaining strength or bb'ing oriented , its ur call!!!!!

gflash77
01-06-08, 4:01 pm
I saw great strength and definition gains while on Wrath's split. Challenging too, and I had never been complemented so much on how I looked after completing it.

tommyb1203
01-30-08, 5:19 pm
Hey everybody, I'm pretty new here. I just SERIOUSLY started working out around August. I'm 18 years old, and over the summer I planned on starting my real training, except then I got mono and could do nothing for about a month and a half. Anyways after mono I lost a bunch of weight, I was at like 142 (I'm 5'8"). Now I'm back up at 157.5. I'm taking a gym class at my school called human performance, basically working out instead of playing sports. Anyways our teacher makes our routines based off of our goals. Right now it looks something like this:

Monday:
Bench
Parallel Squat
Tri-Extensions
Curls
Military Press
Upright Row
Reverse Fly

Tuesday:
Dynamic day
(sprints, boxes, ladders, ect.)

Wednesday:
Incline Bench
Power Clean
Incline DB curls
Front raises
Lat raises
Skull Crushers
Shrugs

Thursday:
Endurance Run

Friday:
Bench
Bent over row
Shoulder press
Lat pull down
Lat and Front raises
Pull ups

the only problem I have is, we do not have enough time to finish every lift, we usually only get 4 lifts a day done.
So I was thinking about finishing the routine when I get home. Just wondering if thats a good idea or what. I used to never do squats b/c I can knee problems, but I recently started doing them more. Just looking for suggestions on how to either tweak this workout or what to add to it. I'm going to talk to my teacher and see if she will let me make my own routine, and use the #1 routine off of animalpak (the intro to body building.) Basically my goals are to gain about 30 lbs, and add about 2.5 to 5 lbs on my lifts, each week. Sorry this is so long, figured I'd throw in a little background about my situation. Thanks.

ralf_snake
01-30-08, 5:25 pm
The problem i see in this(which i would see as a problem for my self). You train allot of muscles group on 1 day, and do those again almost within 2 days later.

Try doing 1 muscle group a day and every muscle group once a week:

1 day only chest, 1 day only biceps, and so on.
Stuff like love handles, and abs you can switch through daily thats no problem.

tommyb1203
01-30-08, 5:27 pm
Thanks, yeah I hate how the class is set up, would it be a good idea to do my own routine on my time and anything in class would be extra or not, I dont want to overtrain, but I really don't know how far I can go before it would be overtraining.

ralf_snake
01-30-08, 5:34 pm
Thanks, yeah I hate how the class is set up, would it be a good idea to do my own routine on my time and anything in class would be extra or not, I dont want to overtrain, but I really don't know how far I can go before it would be overtraining.

Well what would help is: what do you do, and what do you train for. And biggest of all what do YOU want.

I can help you allot, as can the others here. But well have to know your situation.

tommyb1203
01-30-08, 5:45 pm
Alright so usually this is what I get accomplished during class

monday:
Bench
Tri-Extensions
Curls
Military Press

wednesday:
Incline Bench
Incline DB curls
Front raises
Lat raises
Skull Crushers
Shrugs

friday:
Bench
Lat pull down
Lat and Front raises
Pull ups

I WANT to be training for overall size.

I was a little confused on excactly what you were asking, but I hope that was it. thanks again.

ralf_snake
01-30-08, 6:01 pm

monday:
Bench
Tri-Extensions
Curls
Military Press

wednesday:
Incline Bench
Incline DB curls
Front raises
Lat raises
Skull Crushers
Shrugs

friday:
Bench
Lat pull down
Lat and Front raises
Pull ups

I was a little confused on excactly what you were asking, but I hope that was it. thanks again.

Oh man, go ask the big guys for a copy of 'Animal Owners Manual' its free and has everything you want to know about it.

But since i do the same now, i think i can help you out.
Do 1 muscle group a day. add love handles or abs to that. And have a minimal rest day of 1 a week.

This is me

Wensday -> Chest, abs
Thursday -> Biceps, Love handles
Friday -> Triceps, Abs
Saturday -> Shoulders, Love handles
Sunday -> Legs
Monday -> Back, abs
Tuesday -> Off

Every morning after waking up -> Superset Forearms

High intensity. and the Animal Products. But since im 17, food is the biggest priority.

You want to be muscled, than leave the scedual from your school behind you. Its only breaking you down instead of building you.
I get the feeling your trainer has no clue what the hell he is doing.

tommyb1203
01-30-08, 6:08 pm
I forgot to add in the abs, we do a LOT of abs, every day. So thats covered, and yeah, Im gonna try talking to her and see if she will let me use my own sched. and ditch the school one, if not, then I'm just going to b/s through the class (basically say I did things to get the grade) and pick up my own sched. after school. I took creatine last year for a while, but ditched that because my family has a ton of history with kidneye problems. I take protien, and recently started eating like a beast. lol

one other question though, would it be a good idea to do bi's and tri's on seperate days, or is it alright to do that the same day?

ralf_snake
01-30-08, 6:12 pm
I forgot to add in the abs, we do a LOT of abs, every day. So thats covered, and yeah, Im gonna try talking to her and see if she will let me use my own sched. and ditch the school one, if not, then I'm just going to b/s through the class (basically say I did things to get the grade) and pick up my own sched. after school. I took creatine last year for a while, but ditched that because my family has a ton of history with kidneye problems. I take protien, and recently started eating like a beast. lol

one other question though, would it be a good idea to do bi's and tri's on seperate days, or is it alright to do that the same day?

Well to abs i do have to say. I did allot of em every day too. I did 400 crunches but they didn't work.
After i read the AOM (Animal Owners Manual) i read that 3x 25 good deep crunches a day will do the trick. And guess what. ITS BETTER! And i dont even do em every day.

Go have a talk with your trainer, tell him about this, and maybe he will get wiser too.

Most do em together, but for me i can only get a good workout on 1 muscle group a day. So id say stick to what i said. But the thing is: Everyone has to figure that part out for themselves. I cant figure out how your body works for you. Even tough i would like to help others out THAT much.

tommyb1203
01-30-08, 6:20 pm
Yeah, she is the ab nazi. We do about 200 a day (different types not all straight crunches). But I'm going to have a talk with her and see whats up, maybe if i can get a copy of the AOM I can have her read it. I have yet to find a routine that works for me, so I'm gonna give yours a try and see what happens. Thanks for all the info.

Tydis
01-31-08, 1:23 am
http://www.animalpak.com/sub/aom.pdf

^^ AOM.

Dozer
01-31-08, 2:55 am

monday:
Bench
Tri-Extensions
Curls
Military Press

wednesday:
Incline Bench
Incline DB curls
Front raises
Lat raises
Skull Crushers
Shrugs

friday:
Bench
Lat pull down
Lat and Front raises
Pull ups

I was in the same situation in high school, and I talked to my teacher--I told him I'd spot anyone in the weight room, do abs, calves, forearms, etc., but that I wanted to train for longer and not on the schedule they used for the football team/weight training classes. I'd do one bodypart per day, once a week--I did a 4 day split, and here's what it looked like.

Monday--Chest/Shoulders
Tuesday--Arms (Bi's and Tri's)
Wed--Legs
Thurs--Back/Traps
Fri-Sun--Off

This worked real well for me--keeping it simple, and keeping it heavy. Most instructors will let you do your own thing if they see you're interested and devoted to it--they were probably in the same position, with the same interest.

tommyb1203
01-31-08, 2:35 pm
Yeah, talked to the teacher and next week, mon wed, thur and fri, I can do w/e I want in the wieght room. So hopefully now I'll start getting the results I want.
thanks guys

DaFr3aK
02-02-08, 10:12 pm
i currently do pyramiding set with weight 12,10,8,6 increasing weight each set but i wanna change as i seem to hit a plateau nd am not seeing or feeling anything...anuy seguesstions maybe 3x10 or something anything??also ognna change some exercises bvut im still questioning as to which ones since i switched gyms

pmug0000
02-02-08, 10:49 pm
i currently do pyramiding set with weight 12,10,8,6 increasing weight each set but i wanna change as i seem to hit a plateau nd am not seeing or feeling anything...anuy seguesstions maybe 3x10 or something anything??also ognna change some exercises bvut im still questioning as to which ones since i switched gyms

If your goal is to increase strength trying doing the 5x5 method - I know seen some logs here where people got solid results with that.
You could also try pyramiding in the opposite direction - doing your heavier lifts first and lighter ones later.