PDA

View Full Version : Punching Bag or a Elliptical

Cw1
08-19-10, 11:10 pm
I'm debating on whether to buy a Punching Bag or a Eliptical for my at home cardio. Which one would you buy?

AntoineV
08-20-10, 12:02 am
I'm debating on whether to buy a Punching Bag or a Eliptical for my at home cardio. Which one would you buy?

Punching bag... way more fun! I do it at least once a week.

zubda345
08-20-10, 3:52 am
I would love the Punching bag, I Bought it a long time ago. But still I can't find a place to hook iT!!

Sprint
08-20-10, 7:11 am
Punchbag, will give you a much harder workout. Better for de-stress as well, if u get my drift.

IronWilson
08-20-10, 10:10 am
It depends. Think about those days where you just don't feel like doing cardio. Would a punching bag be optimal? With the elliptical, you would be able to do your cardio and watch tv or something. And the elliptical would force you to keep a certain pace, whereas the punching bag for cardio relies on your energy levels and other things if used for cardio.

BamBam
08-20-10, 10:52 am
How much r you trying to spend? I would think a bag would be somewhat cheaper than an elliptical machine but I have been wrong before...

Why not try to find a nice, but used or cheaper one of each and u won't have to decide...

IN IRON,
BB-

Cw1
08-20-10, 4:46 pm
How much r you trying to spend? I would think a bag would be somewhat cheaper than an elliptical machine but I have been wrong before...

Why not try to find a nice, but used or cheaper one of each and u won't have to decide...

IN IRON,
BB-

Great idea ! I'm pretty sure someone has a $3000 Eliptical they bought for NewYears that's collecting dust.

Legacy
08-20-10, 5:08 pm
Neither, get a double end striking bag. If you want cardio on an elliptical just go outside and ride a bike. Punching bags are a good tool and have their place, but a punching bag doesn't hit back. On top of that if you don't know the mechanics to deliver a punch you'll run into a problem.

I have been in martial arts and the double end striking bag I feel is the best tool. Give you the ability to work on punches, but at the same time gives you the ability to work on your reflex. Builds both offense and defense. Not only that, its a smaller target to hit so you can have better capabilities. From a cardio standpoint it will give you a good workout. As long as you keep your feet moving around the bag and don't stand still.

Sprint
08-20-10, 5:17 pm
Neither, get a double end striking bag. If you want cardio on an elliptical just go outside and ride a bike. Punching bags are a good tool and have their place, but a punching bag doesn't hit back. On top of that if you don't know the mechanics to deliver a punch you'll run into a problem.

I have been in martial arts and the double end striking bag I feel is the best tool. Give you the ability to work on punches, but at the same time gives you the ability to work on your reflex. Builds both offense and defense. Not only that, its a smaller target to hit so you can have better capabilities. From a cardio standpoint it will give you a good workout. As long as you keep your feet moving around the bag and don't stand still.

Is that a bit like a speedball, but attaches to points in both the ceiling and floor so it bounces around all over when it gets hit?

Or am I on about something else?

Legacy
08-20-10, 5:21 pm
Is that a bit like a speedball, but attaches to points in both the ceiling and floor so it bounces around all over when it gets hit?

Or am I on about something else?

Thats exactly what it is bro.

Sprint
08-20-10, 5:25 pm
Thats exactly what it is bro.

Thought so, my mate used to have one in his garage. Sure got to keep your wits about you, as far as counter-strikes go they're proper monsters.

Legacy
08-20-10, 5:32 pm
Thought so, my mate used to have one in his garage. Sure got to keep your wits about you, as far as counter-strikes go they're proper monsters.

They are excellent training devices and like I said before if you keep your feet moving you'll get a good cardio workout, which is what I think CW1 was looking for.

MassMonster
08-20-10, 5:47 pm
They are excellent training devices and like I said before if you keep your feet moving you'll get a good cardio workout, which is what I think CW1 was looking for.

where can i buy one lol sorry to high jack but damn thats sounds fun

Legacy
08-20-10, 6:04 pm
You can buy them at boxingdepot.com, however I buy all my martial arts stuff centurymartialarts.com. I am pretty sure they have one their site, I am just not sure if it comes with cables.

Legacy
08-20-10, 6:08 pm
Heres a few vids of it in action

Pro boxer using it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i9D1PlvsWs&feature=related

All natural bodybuilder using it. Tuan Tran
http://www.youtube.com/user/roughneckasian#p/u/13/FMQw6BWckP0

ontheEDGE
08-20-10, 6:38 pm
That does seem like a good workout. I've never use one of those but as a guy who works out at home I would definitely vote against the elliptical unless you have some kind of knee problems or other issue. Run outside. It's the best in my opinion. I broke my elliptical and started running outside, now I'd never go back. You can do high intensity runs with sprinting and jogging at your own pace and intervals.

MassMonster
08-20-10, 6:56 pm
That does seem like a good workout. I've never use one of those but as a guy who works out at home I would definitely vote against the elliptical unless you have some kind of knee problems or other issue. Run outside. It's the best in my opinion. I broke my elliptical and started running outside, now I'd never go back. You can do high intensity runs with sprinting and jogging at your own pace and intervals.

the only hard part of that is the fact that some people hate running outside, or cant get motivated to do so ... depends really tho i concurr its better that being in one place

monkey
08-20-10, 7:47 pm
a bag is also handy on the wrist to strengthen them bones,and traps,keep those hands UP!!
enjoy it

ontheEDGE
08-20-10, 8:19 pm
a bag is also handy on the wrist to strengthen them bones,and traps,keep those hands UP!!
enjoy it

I'm not against the heavy bag but as far as wrists go, it could work against you if you don't know what your doing or protect them properly.

Legacy
08-20-10, 8:30 pm

I agree. Running outside is so much better. I see a lot of people complain about doing cardio on the treadmill and bike, I've found you get a better workout being outside of the gym either on a field or riding a bike around, sure as hell beats sitting in the gym.

enjoy it

Like I said previously, a heavy bag has its place in training, but if you don't know the mechanics of a punch and just go at it thinking you can punch however you want, you'll learn quick and in a bad way the negative effects of it. But like you said, it does have some benefits as long as those mechanics are there.

I will disagree with you with keeping the hands up as well. A heavy bag won't help you keep your hands up, the heavy bag doesn't hit back. Best way to practice keeping your hands up is to spar with a partner, cause the second your hands drop its basically open game on your head.

monkey
08-20-10, 9:10 pm
i did mauy thai for several years,so i dont pointlessly hit,yes i have seen ppl break wrists or fracture fore arms,jus saying light or heavy compound force on ur wrists can benefit in strength in most cases iv seen

Legacy
08-20-10, 9:37 pm
i did mauy thai for several years,so i dont pointlessly hit,yes i have seen ppl break wrists or fracture fore arms,jus saying light or heavy compound force on ur wrists can benefit in strength in most cases iv seen

Yeah like I said I agree with that. My sensei always hit and kicked bricks and steel posting and would always use wood to break down his shins and other bones. Microtrauma basically so when he hit you it felt like you hit a brick wall. Since you've been in muay thai you know what I am saying.

The thing I was trying to explain was that if he hasn't been formally trained a little bit in the martial arts, hitting the bag might not be his best option. Which is why I suggested a double end striking bag.

A punch is always a punch, but being able to execute it properly will help him tremendously.

monkey
08-20-10, 10:25 pm
totally agree

wen i was hit,it felt like ur face went numb,then started burning and then ur being helped up,hahaha,back to orginally thread,

B. Rowe
08-20-10, 11:13 pm
I like the machines such as stair mill, treadmill, or elliptical. They may not be the most fun or efficient but i just set a goal climb on and get it done. Easy for the days when you dont have the motivation to do anything.